Posted in music | pictures on October 18, 2010

photos by Amanda Hatfield

"at music hall WAY early for los campesinos. not early enough for open tables, but early enough for $3 @magichat #9. fruity! bam." - eatdrinksnack

"Playing with Los campesinos! tonight at music hall of wburg. We have the Big Girl 7". Come hang" - darlings

Los Campesinos! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg - 10/16/10
Los Campesinos

We performed in Johnny Brenda's (Philadelphia on 10/12) on a incredibly impractical stage and my increasingly chirpy mood was nearly threatened by a man shouting out "You looked better when you were Blonde!" at me whilst I was tuning up. I thought about explaining to him that blonde hair was really expensive and hard to upkeep but i figured that would be a really long retort so i settled with "I liked you better when you had hair," because he was bald.

This was cheap a shot and didn't even make much sense because we had never met before, but I had to say something to combat the fact he thought his comment was an okay thing to shout at me.

I continued tuning up and he added "your still hot though," so I felt better about pointing out the fact he was bald.

He did try and buy me a drink afterwards to apologize, but he still seemed confused as to why I didn't appreciate his commentary on my evolving style. Whilst I do not care whether this man preferred having masturbatory fantasies over me when I had bleach in my hair, I still get slightly thrown by such a comment, I am as insecure as the next person and sometimes I am not in the mood for that kind of rudeness (especially before a show).

I liked being blonde, I like being a brunette but I do my hair for myself, not for anyone else (apart from maybe Tyra Banks if I was on ANTM) and just because I am on a elevated platform in front of you (that stage was really high) does not mean you have more of a right to shout something negative at me.

Dick. -[Ellen of Los Campesinos]

No reported heckling, cat-calling, or comments on dye-jobs at either of the Los Campesinos dates at Music Hall of Williamsburg (on 10/15 and 10/16). The UK band, who are currently on a tour that ends next week in Iowa City, was joined by Darlings and Johnny Foreigner on 10/16 (where these pictures were shot) and are on the road to support their new All's Well That Ends EP.

More pictures from Saturday's show are below...

Darlings

Darlings

Darlings

Darlings

Darlings

Darlings

Darlings

Darlings

Darlings

went to 10/16, fucking sore today, g-r-e-a-t show

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 11:52 AM

talk about an overreaction to a relatively minor thing. she really saw a need to write a whole speech about it? when all he said was "i liked you more as a blonde" and later "you're still hot". (her bald response was meaner than anything he said by the way) his comments were clearly not worth thinking twice about.

and then she has the need to write a speech and actually call him a dick in her soliloquy! she needs to lighten up.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 11:54 AM

Hey Ellen - fucking loosen up already...you'd probably cry if ever faced with a real heckler.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 11:55 AM

They're a sweet live band, but they really aren't nice people. At least not when I've worked with them. I don't know why they have such a reputation as great guys and girls.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 11:55 AM

hecklers are the scum of the earth though.

"LOOK AT ME! I NEED ATTENTION CUZ I'M NOT ON STAGE! WAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

eat shit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 11:58 AM

BUT IT WASN'T A HECKLER 11:55!! if the person said they were a bunch of twats whose music sucked AND asked if she keeps the same color going upstairs and downstairs...that would be a heckle.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 12:00 PM

Sorry 11:55....meant for 11:58. :-)

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 12:01 PM

according to wikipedia: A heckler is a person who shouts a disparaging comment at a performance or event, or interrupts set-piece speeches, for example at a political meeting, with intent to disturb its performers or participants.

perhaps it wasn't a disparaging comment or meant to insult her, but shouting things directly towards a performer during a show, positive or negative, is still heckling.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 12:05 PM

ohhh i didn't even realize that was a girl! now i sorta get why he/she was so upset

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 12:21 PM

johnny foreigner was terrible

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 1:26 PM

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 2:14 PM

How did she overreact? It was a dick thing to say, and the 'oh I still think your hot' just made him seem creepy. so she put him in his place. She's just more on the shy side and always writes about shows in her blog.

She's right about Johnny brendas, I live in Philly it's just really awkwardly designed.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 2:28 PM

I'd like to clarify that I'm not insecure and therefore would have responded to the bald retort by Ms. Ellen Campesino by weeping over my beer and asking the question, "Why did I never amount to anything in my life like my father said I would?"

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm about as insecure as a bespectacled 14-yr old at a high school dance populated by senior jocks and cheerleaders.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 3:00 PM

Not sure about Ellen and the rest, but Gareth is a really nice dude. I remember I went to a LC! show once and tried to grab the setlist, and some guy kinda took it out of my hand and ran out. Then as I was walking out of the venue Gareth tapped me on the shoulder and was like "here man!" and he gave me his glockenspiel stick.

good times.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 4:58 PM

I would have invited the guy up on to stage and had the crowd give him a little of his own medicine.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 5:51 PM

Johnny Brendas is one of the best venues around...Ellen sounds like a stuck up bitch..I'd still hit it; with hummus on top.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 5:53 PM

between the two of you, you ellen, turned to be the jackass.
just wait for your next nyc show, i'll show you what real mean spirited sounds like. promise.

Posted by bald & beautiful | October 18, 2010 9:15 PM

stay away from everyone 9:15 you are really fucking creepy sounding

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 10:03 PM

hey 10:03, how about i stick my dick up your ass and then we see who's the creepy one

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 10:20 PM

^ dude needs some hummus andneeds to chill.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 10:34 PM

Are all of the commenters here assholes, or only some of them? It's hard to tell.

Great people, incidentally, and a hell of a live show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 10:52 PM

hey 10:52, im not an asshole but if i stick my dick up yours, would that be a hell of a live show? no, seriously, would it?

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 11:39 PM

Anyone see me at the mic during Sweet Dreams Sweet Cheeks?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2010 1:40 AM

11:39 owns 10:52. thats awesome

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2010 10:28 AM

fuck hair do's. Kanye West new ALBUM gonna be fire!!!

Niggas like hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2010 12:41 PM

Yes great ray ray, we all saw you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2010 3:26 PM