Posted in music | pictures on October 20, 2010

photos by Kurt Christensen

My Morning Jacket

My Morning Jacket's Terminal 5 run continued with a complete performance of 2001's At Dawn last night. The band ran through the entire album in sequential order, including the rarely--if ever--played "If it Smashes Down." Many of My Morning Jacket's early songs faded out of rotation after the group's December 2006 shows at San Francisco's Fillmore so "Death Is My Sleezy Pay" (last played 2005), "Hopefully"(last played during a full band performance), X-Mas Curtain (last played 2006), "Just Because I Do" (last played 2004) and "Strangulation!" (last played 2005) were also bustouts.

Like Monday night's performance, the members of My Morning Jacket returned for an extended encore that featured covers and B-sides the band played during the At Dawn era. The band's covers ranged from the moody Danzig song "How The Gods Kill" to an extended jam during Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath." [jambands.com]

Danzig! Video of that (complete with funny fan commentary), along with the full setlist and more pictures from last night (tonight is their night off - except for Carl), below...

How The Gods Kill (Danzig Cover) - My Morning Jacket

SETLIST
1. At Dawn
2. Lowdown
3. The Way That He Sings
4. Death Is My Sleezy Pay (last played 2005)
5. Hopefully (last played 2006 with band)
6. Bermuda Highway
7. Honest Man
8. X-mas Curtain (last played 2006)
9. Just Because I Do (last played 2004)
10. If It Smashes Down (live debut)
11. I Needed It Most
12. Phone Went West
13. Strangulation! (last played 2005)
----------
14. How The Gods Kill (Danzig, last played 2002)
15. O Is The One That is Real
16. Come Closer (2004)
17. Miss You (The Rolling Stones, last played 2000)
18. Cobra
19. Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath, last played 2002)

I have no idea why Jambands is getting cute w/ the setlist, but #4 is "Death is the Easy Way"

Posted by Shawon | October 20, 2010 1:13 PM

Honestly, I thought the people leaving before the encore were poseurs but I changed my mind. The Danzig cover was cool but the long, jam-band shit was what bands like The Clash were (rightly) rebelling against.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:20 PM

how much did the posters cost?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:21 PM

i left after the regular set because they share a crowd with a bunch of agro white ball cap wearing hippy assholes. good band though

Posted by fan | October 20, 2010 1:28 PM

Not sure how much the posters were, because they were sold out before I got there. Only 50 available per show. Get there early if you want a chance at getting one.
At the merch table. they are also raffling off a really cool Danny Clinch photo of the band. Proceeds go to New Orleans Gulf Restoration Network and Sweet Home New Orleans..

Posted by Kurt Christensen | October 20, 2010 1:31 PM

Some people like jamming, some don't. Is it actually something that needs to be rebelled against though? People are so annoying!

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:32 PM

Posters were $30 and they sell a little over 100 each night. They were gone about 30 minutes after the doors opened

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:34 PM

did they have an "at dawn" show specific t-shirt as well last night? were the shirts selling out quickly?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:35 PM

i left before the encore because it's a long walk to the subway, it takes me an hour to get home if i hit the connecting trains, i have a job and had to get up early... other than that i enjoyed the show, jim's got the voice... tonight it's the phoenix show at msg...

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:37 PM

I stand corrected, it is 100, not 50 according to 1:34.

There were show specific T-shirts, and they were not sold out as far as I could tell.

Posted by Kurt Christensen | October 20, 2010 1:37 PM

Great show. I have always wanted to hear that album played, and it was awesome.

The crowd was bro-ey, but generally cool. But what's the with need to whistle and yell during every quiet moment? At Dawn has five amazing quiet songs and its like people can't deal with their insecurities enough to just SHUT UP and listen.

Also, the sound was pretty crap. For both Hacienda and MMJ the bass was pretty much non-existent, and the highs squelching.

Hopefully this is the last time I have to go to T5. I keep telling myself that, anyhow.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:43 PM

Hacienda slayed it!

Hands down, Jim James has the best male voice in rock n' roll. Neko Case wins the prize for female voice. If those 2 had a baby, that baby's cry would move mountains.

Posted by Ryan H | October 20, 2010 1:46 PM

@1:37 - fair enough; @1:32 - yes; @1:28 - that reminds me, there were two dudes right in front of me smoking up. At one point, they did decide to offer a smoke to people who were nearby and, by people, I mean girls. Who declined. So, on top of being douches, they weren't able to get laid. Burn.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 1:49 PM

Actually, it is Death is My Sleezy Pay

Posted by Tim J | October 20, 2010 1:52 PM

I'm already prepared to be lambasted, but for those complaining about the extended jam during the encore, you need to check out the Chocolate & Ice EP (http://www.mymorningjacket.com/gogo/music/chocolateandice/). That extended jam was actually (part of) the song Cobra, a 24 minute multi-suite song extravaganza recorded solo by Jim in 2002. The band has played bits and pieces of the song over the years, but never the ENTIRE song. So yes, it lasted forever and bored many of the non-die-hards to tears, but for the mega-fans in attendance, that "moment" (or 17 or so minutes) was historic.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 2:04 PM

"How The Gods Kill" is an ace tune by the awesome GLENN DANZIG. Kudos to MMJ for covering it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 2:19 PM

Great show, the acoustic songs were amazing, and Hacienda was excellent.

Crowd was so-so, and definitely way too talkative during the show's quiet moments.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:02 PM

1:49, so kids were douches because they were smokin up or cause they didnt offer it to you? Either way, you are a massive toolbox

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:05 PM

Be careful, hippies - I saw two kids getting cuffed and stuffed because they were caught smoking the reefer on the way in. C'mon, cops, you really have nothing better to do. Anyway, watch yourself if you are tokin' on grass on the streets - a great way to ruin a show for you.

Aside from that, the level of derpitude at T5 is pretty high. These crowds are better than Webster Hall's buffoonery, but I can do without the high fives and space invaders. Seriously, if you are there with your girlfriend, but you're closer to me than her, there is something wrong with you.

Posted by Fuzzy Nitzkreig | October 20, 2010 3:25 PM

im really happy i jumped ship on this band in 2004...i couldnt imagine having to stand next to these date-rapists.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:27 PM

3:25-- I think it's pretty common knowledge now that you shouldn't smoke pot on the walk to T5. There are ALWAYS undercovers on that route busting people. Maybe if you want to walk down by the river, you'd be fine... but don't smoke anywhere east of T5 and west of the E train. That goes for any show at t5.

How about smoking inside the venue though? Sometimes it's okay, sometimes not. How was it for the previous 2 MMJ shows?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:30 PM

The place was packed last night. They totally oversell that place. If a not even sold out show means a few hundred people have to stand somewhere where they can't see the lead singer of the band, it is too damn crowded. You can fit a lot more people in the venue than there was, I mean hundreds can fit around the bars on the top two levels, but you can't see from any of those places. The area by the main entrance was packed with people, and you can't see crap from there.
Only sell enough tickets so it fills the spaces where everyone can see.

I finally understand the T5 hate.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:36 PM

jackasses were yelling during the Appalachian Voices show at mhow, too. can't escape these assholes. I feel bad for jim james

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:40 PM

Carl isnt the only one working tonight. Jim James is performing at the beacon as part of the t-bone burnett produced charity show with elton john, elvis costello, etc...

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:42 PM

3:36 - last night was packed, but not T5 packed.

Unfortunately, I expect the next 3 shows to be far more uncomfortable.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 3:53 PM

the clowns filming "How The Gods Kill" are hilarious. best douchebag commentary ever

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 4:01 PM

3:30- LOTS of people enjoying inside the venue during the Jacket set. Moreso for AD, but a good few for TTF.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 4:12 PM

Looking foward to tomorrow night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 4:13 PM

Meh Mehrning Mehcket

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 4:47 PM

This band is about as good as the d-bag crowd it sounds like they're attracting.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 4:48 PM

"My boy's gonna bug...he loves Danzig dude."

Ps- Hey brah, thanks for singing just so everyone around you may realize that you actually know this song. D-bag!

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 4:48 PM

@2:04 - you are absolutely right. Cobra was awesome, never expected to hear the whole song and so stoked when they played it. Not enough people appreciated it. Called Tyrone the night before. Two great shows, wish I could go to the last three.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 5:02 PM

"Prepare to have your asshole blown out"

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 5:02 PM

I hate when people give high fives at concerts. I hate emo hipsters. I hate people who smoke at shows. I hate when people scream during quiet moments. I hate bro boys.
I hate when you stand to close to me. I hate when T5 oversells.

BV is an f'ing breeding ground for whiners.

Simply enough, that show rocked.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 5:11 PM

@5:11 - well played

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 5:14 PM

@ 4:48

Enjoy your fucking Wavves shows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 5:45 PM

5:45--They are less cheesy, that's for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 6:30 PM

Oh, right. I forgot in the hipster world, being a terrible fucking band means you have cred and are a super hip nonconformist.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 7:02 PM

7:02--No, I just said they're less cheesy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 8:23 PM

My Boring Jacket

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 8:59 PM

your stupid comment

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 9:27 PM

Monday night was better. Rare songs, all played well, and it wasn't as crowded. And the encore was great (Rocket Man, Hot Legs). Last night was annoying because of the T5 set up and sound and the crowd that seemed to need to chatter through every quiet song. I am sure you are all wonderful people, so don't take this personally, but please stay home on Thursday so it will be more comfortable for me. Its all about me. You can go on Fri/Sat when I am not going. Thanks.

Posted by el che | October 20, 2010 9:35 PM

bros ruin everything

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2010 12:41 AM

My boring jacket

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2010 2:51 AM

KAB: Kill All Brahs

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2010 8:46 AM

annoying fucking bros disguised as day traders who let their hair down and fist pump to mmj songs and sing EVERY song at the show while double fist pumping mind you...and wonder why people hate them. go fuck yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2010 11:55 AM

anyone know what time they've been going on?

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2010 12:53 PM

ok, i'm not defending the idiot fans that are into these guys now, but seriously, MMJ is basically a classic rock band. They're great, don't get me wrong, but why is anyone surprised that they attract a crowd like this?

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2010 1:03 PM

y'all are really a bunch of judgmental, elitist, pretentious schmucks. who the fuck are any of you and what makes you such an authority? shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2010 1:48 PM

Security told me they are scheduled to go on 9;15 but its been more like 9:30ish the first two nights.

Posted by el che | October 21, 2010 7:17 PM

tonight was ridiculous. the encore was fucking outstanding. dylan, velvet underground, the band, lionel richie, fuckin a. awesome! crowded as fuck, though. get there early.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 12:32 AM

jesus, people, SHUT THE FUCK UP. so much chatter throughout the show

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 7:31 AM

yeah, there was a lot of talking last night, which sucked. tonight and tomorrow will def be worse

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 8:53 AM