Posted in music | pictures on October 22, 2010

photos by Jessica Amaya

My Morning Jacket

"My Morning Jacket returned to New York's Terminal 5 after a night off to perform its ATO debut It Still Moves in its entirety (though all five members of the group performed on their night off) (at Joe's Pub and Beacon Theater). Like the previous nights of the band's Terminal 5 run, the venue was decked out with drapery and blown up images of MMJs five albums.

Elvis Perkins in Dearland opened the night and the Dearland Horns sat in with My Morning Jacket at various points throughout the night, including "One Big Holiday." Former My Morning Jacket guitarist Johnny Quaid rejoined his former band on a few songs for the third night in a row, this time flanked by former Jacket keyboardist Danny Cash (2000-2004), Sex Mob/Levon Helm Band trumpeter Steven Bernstein and Levon Helm Band saxophonist Erik Lawrence. [Two nights] earlier Perkins made a surprise appearance with members of his band when they performed as Diamond Doves at Brooklyn, NY's Rock Shop (oddly enough, on a bill with longtime MMJ associates The Barr Brothers)." [Jambands.com]

They perform "Z" tonight and "Evil Urges" Saturday. More pictures from last night, the full setlist, and video of the Lionel Richie cover, below...

MMJ setlist, 10/21/10
1. Mahgeetah
2. Dancefloors
3. Golden
4. Masterplan
5. One Big Holiday
6. I Will Sing You Songs
7. Easy Morning Rebel
8. Run Thru
9. Rollin Back
10. Just One Thing (last played 2009)
11. Steam Engine
12. One In The Same (last played 2004)
------
13. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You (Bob Dylan, last played 2007)
14. How Could I Know (last played 2007)
15. Sooner
16. Head Held High (The Velvet Underground, last played 2006)
17. It Makes No Difference (The Band)
18. All Night Long (Lionel Richie, last played 2006)

last nights show was INTENSE! there were a couple of hiccups during some of the extended jams but overall it was freaking amazing. by far the best of the 3 nights thus far. though the level of douchebaggery and stuck up bitchiness was painful.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 12:44 PM

Do you "jacket-heads" expect people to stand still during All Night Long and One Big Holliday? i understand the need for quiet during masterplan and just one thing, but I think douchebaggery gets thrown around here too often. I for one thought last night was a great time had by all, cant frat boys and bitches have fun to?

Posted by Adam | October 22, 2010 12:52 PM

The amount of yapping during the show was insane.

Seriously, did you come to watch a show or gossip like little girls?

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 12:56 PM

The average post about concerts on BV has one comment on the music and two on the scene, hipsters, or talking during the shows. Comical.

Posted by Crackpot | October 22, 2010 12:57 PM

the show was incredible but my god were there a lot of meatheads.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:04 PM

i don't know why people are surprised about the crowd at mmj shows

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:10 PM

The show was great, but damn were there a ton of hipsters

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:11 PM

Great photos!

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:12 PM

What time did MMJ go on last night?

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:13 PM

a little after 930 (though it was listed to start at 915)

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:21 PM

WORST SHOW EVER

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:23 PM

930 give or take 12 seconds

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:23 PM

930...

the crowds are going to be like that at any semi popular bands show nowadays ...phoenix, mgmt, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:27 PM

That was by far the best show I saw last night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:43 PM

now that i've gotten these mmj shows under my belt, i hope to never return to T5. absolutely terrible venue.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:47 PM

T5 needs to burn to the ground

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 1:53 PM

I know T5 is an ugly warehouse in one of most inconvenient locations for live music in NYC - but I have to reluctantly admit - they have the sound right there. Its not easy to get the sound right in a place like that, but when i look back at the shows i've seen there...i've never had any sound complaints - no matter what level i'm on. Sightline, however - kinda sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:05 PM

^^if you walk from stage right to stage left it sounds like you are at 2 different shows...place is whack...unless you are in the VIP area upstairs the venue is weak

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:12 PM

"i've never had any sound complaints - no matter what level i'm on. Sightline, however - kinda sucks."

Huh? My complaints are the opposite. Shitty sound. All volume with no definition. And I have no issues with sightlines. Yes, I am really tall, but I see it no different from other venues.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:14 PM

anyone going tonight and/or tomorrow: please SHUT THE FUCK UP

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:14 PM

The girls in front of me were definitely getting moist during "All Night Long"... Which was weird cause I could've sworn one of them was Nicole Richie

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:16 PM

>All volume with no definition.

I agree with that, at least for last night.

Posted by Corksucker | October 22, 2010 2:17 PM

last night was all boner, no masturbation

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:26 PM

the curtains made it seem a lot nicer than it actually is

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:39 PM

Crunch, Heady, nar nar. Great show

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:44 PM

I find that any concert is enjoyable if I have a hummus platter before going.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 2:46 PM

I'll start out by saying that once again, the band proved their greatness. Very intense performance. In spite of the challenges of the crowd and the venue.

The crowd was about 80% awful. There was a jackass behind me who not only attempted to sing along at top volume to every song (with mostly missed lyrics), but also sang along with the instrumental solos, making noises to go along with the instruments onstage. It was absurd.

As for the venue- oversold, horrible, inconsistent sound. Place is a dump. I wish it stayed a garage, or whatever it used to be.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:01 PM

Oh, no. The Pavement hummus guy is back.

Posted by crackjob | October 22, 2010 3:08 PM

The Jackass quotient at shows is alarmingly high these days...if there were only a way to keep those bastards out

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:14 PM

Yea, that's right I'm back. Sorry I was gone. I was out harvesting chickpeas.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:15 PM

fantastic show last night. when do you ever get to hear covers of Dylan, The Band, Velvet Underground and Lionel Richie? the crowd wasn't terrible, but was definitely better on Tuesday.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:24 PM

shesh, you can't take passive aggresive hipsters anywhere these days.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:27 PM

I know. If you can't stand the crowds, stay home and listen to Frampton Comes Alive. Enough about the hipsters. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Posted by Crapula | October 22, 2010 3:34 PM

I went to a hummus festival... Talk about a terrible crowd... All the loud chewing and lips smacking drove me crazy!

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:39 PM

HUMMUS AMONG US!

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:41 PM

Honestly, Hummus ? Go back to Whole Foods and choke on a pita chip. Let's actually talk about the show !

Amazing show, great energy from the crowd. Highlights definitely were Run Thru, Just One Thing, Steam Engine, and All Night Long.

Terminal 5's sightlines are horrible, though. So many great acts perform there...why ? NY and Brooklyn have some incredible venues.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:58 PM

I realized something last night. This place is not meant for live performances. It is a club.

In a theatre, the crowd level elevates so that those toward the back have a shot to see the performance if they're less than 6' tall.

AT T5, there is no consideration for an elevated viewing because its supposed to be a damn DANCE CLUB.

Yeah, as one guy mentioned if you're 6' 5", it's a great venue. Problem is, if your luck is like mine I'm always standing directly in back of the Yugoslavian national basketball team and can't see anything but hairy backs all night.

This venue is an outrage, if your 5'9" or less.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 4:04 PM

No props to Elvis Perkins in Dearland....they were awesome, sounded great and they killed it with their setlist.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 4:20 PM

that was suppose to say "No props to Elvis Perkins in Dearland??"

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 4:21 PM

My Boring Jacket

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 4:27 PM

Great show last night. My primary goal is to still have the sense of hearing by the end of this run.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 4:51 PM

In response to avoiding hummus and strictly discussing the show... Well It's clear you don't understand how integrated hummus culture and rock and roll are. Many rock historians make claim that the phyto-nutrients locked within the chickpea is what gave Elvis the stamina to do those famous hip thrust moves.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 5:10 PM

This show was amazing except that people can't seem to shut their mouths. People who are saying that the crowd sucked are absolutely correct. During the last song, "One in the Same", Jim James actually started singing the first line again because nobody was shutting up and continued to talk during what is arguably the greatest song on the record. It sounded like a high school cafeteria. Other than that, the band sounded incredible. It's a real shame that people don't have the attention spans to just shut up and actually listen. I hate when people make fun of NYC but last night real just made the city look incredibly lame.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 6:41 PM

Who cares if people talk during a rock party? And sometimes I've overheard a few stimulating conversations... Like the other night at the wavves concert I overheard two girls talking about the best brand of food processor for hummus preparation.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 6:53 PM

Gotta say, I really am starting to think T5 is worse than Roseland. MMJ was incredible, on fire, and the slower/less busy songs sounded great but then when the band really started to rock it was like listening to Spiritualized or My Bloody Valentine... complete noise wash, which was fun in its own way, but as someone else said, all volume and no definition. Which is a shame because the band was killing every song, especially the ones with the horn section. This was definitely better than At Dawn, and if the sound wasn't so spotty it could have been legendary instead of just really good.

Posted by panopticon | October 22, 2010 6:56 PM

i fucked that PANDA

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 11:59 PM

People who talk during shows should be told to STFU....hopefully embarrassed and might actually watch the show at that point. JEEEEZ!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2010 8:23 AM

that first picture is fucking awesome. good job.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2010 11:03 AM

Awesome foot stomping photo!

Posted by diana | October 24, 2010 3:08 PM

Once when my food processor was malfunctioning, I used a foot stomp similar to that photograph for mashing my chickpeas.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2010 5:13 PM

whoever posted "my boring jacket" is a complete asshole. Probably listens to good charlette..dick.

I will agree on the crowd being a little loud though. All in all it was one of the best shows I'd ever been to. You will never ever get the possibility to see that album in its entirety again so those of us who were there, it was history.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 2:16 PM

Also to add to that...

the girl with the panda hat and then the other one with the glasses and with no lenses were sitting on the floor for most of the night...super kusty.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 2:36 PM

to anonymous @ 1:23

Worst show ever?! I would like to hear what a good show would be to that ass bag. Even if I didn't like MMJ, which I do and think they are easily the best band of our time hands down, I would have said that show was amazing. Someone mentioned bands like "phoenix" - they stink. line them up with all the other cliche' emo-indie bands and they are the same. MMJ is different. they have a unique sound and great song writing. Whoever said it was the worst show is obviously gay and is possibly deaf. Sorry buddy maybe next time you'll be able to get tickets to the Greenday show and cry in the front row with all the other pussies.

This concert was fucking incredible and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 7:56 AM