Posted in music | pictures on October 25, 2010

photos by Matthew Eisman

My Morning Jacket

My Morning Jacket ...ran through its most recent studio album, Evil Urges, in its entirety and later returned for a nine-song encore....[mixing] unreleased original songs with a range of covers that included: The Velvet Underground's "Oh! Sweet Nuthin," Sly Stone's "Hot Fun In The Summertime, Al Johnson's "Carnival Time" and Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up."...

After leaving the stage for a second time, My Morning Jacket returned to deliver a high energy take on the It Still Moves single "One Big Holiday." It was the only song My Morning Jacket repeated throughout its 100-song marathon. -[JamBands.com]

It was also the only night that got a 2nd encore. And the only night I made it up there after spending the rest of CMJ week basically working (and seeing BV shows). It was the perfect ending to the MMJ marathon, and to my CMJ week (though it wasn't the actual ending of my week, because right afterwards I shot down to Bowery Ballroom to catch some of Neon Indian and all of Surfer Blood who went on 1am and had a marathon week of their own).

Besides the Evil Urges material, the covers, and powerful show closer "One Big Holiday", the band also ran through material due on a forthcoming LP ("Circuital" and "Friends Again"), and a track from Carl Broemel's solo record ("Carried Away").

Carl played his own headlining show at Joe's Pub in the middle of the Terminal 5 run. Jim James played the T Bone Burnett show at Beacon Theatre that same night. Members of Diamond Doves/Elvis Perkins' band once again joined MMJ on stage on horns Saturday night, like they did the night Elvis opened.

WE HAVE A POST FOR EVERY NIGHT AT TERMINAL 5: ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR

More pictures from NIGHT FIVE, opener Everest included, a bunch of videos, and the full setlist below...

Carnival Time (Al Johnson) encore #8 - My Morning Jacket

Oh! Sweet Nuthin (The Velvet Underground) encore #6 - My Morning Jacket

Carried Away (Carl solo encore #3) - My Morning Jacket

Friends Again (encore #2) - My Morning Jacket

My Morning Jacket LIVE - Sly & Family Stone Cover "Hot Fun in the Summertime" at T5

My Morning Jacket - Terminal 5 - Circuital

12. Smokin From Shootin
13. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
----------
14. Circuital
15. Friends Again
16. Carried Away
17. Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
18. Tonite I Want To Celebrate With You
19. Oh! Sweet Nuthin (The Velvet Underground)
20. Hot Fun In The Summertime (Sly & The Family Stone)
21. Carnival Time (Al Johnson)
22. Move On Up (Curtis Mayfield)
----------
23. One Big Holiday

Terminal 5 is THE WORST VENUE IN NYC. stop hosting shows there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 1:19 PM

they didn't play "Good Intentions"!?!?

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 1:22 PM

hopefully...lots of touring in 2011.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 1:36 PM

Hell of a week, best rock band of MY generation!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 1:54 PM

i imagine big tour in 2011 in support of new record, hopefully NOT at T5

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 1:55 PM

"they didn't play "Good Intentions"!?!?"

They did- during Scream Pt. 2. And by play I mean they pressed the button that made the screaming sound.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 2:03 PM

ok, now who was at every show and which was the best?

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 2:09 PM

they were all the best

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 2:23 PM

My Morning Hummus

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 2:34 PM

went to all 5, and its honestly impossible to pick one...so i'll just go 1 by 1

Tennessee Fire: some songs 1st (and probably last) time ever played, band loving life, it was a "show for the real fans"

At Dawn: just a gorgeous record, gorgeous crows, showed why they are band with "heart"

It Still Moves: easily the most intense night...crowd was ready to explode as soon as the opener ended, and was treated to sheer madness...rock-n-motherfucking-roll

Z: Most psychadelic night, this one was for the space-travelers...long versions of short songs...excellent overall

Evil Urges: my least favorite record, but the live translation is excellent. i feel the crowd was more there for the set of new songs which have given a nice glimpse into the next record..cover killed it & OBH is always killer

A+

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 2:35 PM

Thank you anonymous 2:35 for a genuine and useful contribution... I was there for the last 3 shows and they were all phenomenal in their own special ways.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 3:07 PM

Solid writeup Anon 2:35. I only made it to "Z" but it was an awesome show. Really wish I could have heard that 20 minute "Steam Engine" from Thursday night but thankful I at least made one show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 3:37 PM

The 20 minute steam engine was incredible! I wish I was able to get Z tickets. We all tried, but there was no luck. It Still Moves was amazing though. I am still hoping someone was able to record these shows so we can download them at some point. I would even pay good money to have them!

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 3:48 PM

I went to all 5 shows and Evil Urges was hands down the best. Although probably my least favorite album (but an awesome album by any other standards), the sound was incredibly on from the get-go. Other sets it took a while for the sound guys to get up to speed. Plus we got to hear songs from their forthcoming album, all of which I liked. Also, the energy level was insane for both encores (especially One Big Holiday). Close second would be At Dawn. Incredible performances all week long, no doubt.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 6:31 PM

Saw At Dawn and It Still Moves. Agree with above posts. At Dawn was an incredible set, such a well structured album, translating great live. I'd bet Phone Went West was arguably the best moment of all 5 nights. It Still Move was intense and rowdy - Masterplan and 20 minute Steam Engine were the highlights. But the encore was the real heat. Head Head High -> Makes No Difference (played to perfection) -> All Night Long. Can't get much better than that.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 8:36 PM

My neck still hurts from going nuts during One Big Holiday at the Evil Urges concert. The concert made me love the album more than I did before, and I'm excited for the next album after witnessing those incredible new ones.

Posted by Sean | October 25, 2010 9:59 PM

Personally I thought Z was the best night. Amazing energy start to finish. 20 minute Dondante was surreal. Encore effing rocked. Hit and Quit It > A Quick One was ridiculous. And Careless Whisper was...well you know...bananas.

The Tennessee Fire was the surprise of the week for me. Alongside Z, the best album set of the week. You could tell they were jazzed to play burried tunes and gave new life to so called "slow" ones. Headbanging to It's About Twilight Now was a highlight for me.

Again, alongside Z, At Dawn's encore set may have been my favorite. I'm a big O fan and Cobra may possibly be my favorite MMJ tune so to have those stacked amongst Miss You and Black Sabbath really blew my effing mind.

A once in a lifetime experience. I can't give enough thanks to MMJ, Terminal 5, and the rest of the diehards that made this week unforgettable.

Posted by Pete | October 26, 2010 2:55 AM

The encore for At Dawn was the best, Miss You-->Cobra-->Black Sabbath was awesome. I think TF was my favorite night because they changed the songs and gave them new life. Loved all the nights though, the new stuff was great and I can't wait for a new record and major touring!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 26, 2010 7:15 AM

wow - this is what the comments should be like...bv was once more like this - or at least it was 85% music commentary, 15% snark.

how do we go back to this level?

and ps - im not really even a mmj fan.

Posted by Anonymous | October 26, 2010 12:59 PM

new songs were REALLLLLLLY good, some of the best i've heard from the jacket. what a damn good band

Posted by ad | October 26, 2010 6:06 PM