Posted in music | tour dates on October 17, 2010

The Blow
The Blow

The only place to catch the Blow during CMJ (that I know about), and coming up in NYC at all at the moment, is at the BrooklynVegan showcase at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Thursday night (10/21). According to CMJ, who are correct, we'll be running on this schedule:

October 21st, 2010 @ MHOW
08:00PM Young Man
08:45PM Suuns
09:30PM Screaming Females
10:30PM The Blow
11:30PM The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
Tickets are still on sale for the Brooklyn show and we'll be letting in a whole bunch of CMJ badges. Also stay tuned to @bvCMJ where I'll be giving away at least one more pair of tickets.

Oh, and the first 50 people in the door Thursday night will get a set of free EarPeace ear plugs (a $14.95 value).

After CMJ, on November 9th, Khaela Maricich (aka the Blow) will hit the road with Blair who also has some CMJ shows of her own including a Wednesday show at The Rock Shop with Beach Fossils, Cloud Nothings, Braids, Lesands, and Tape Deck Mountain. And that Friday show at Mercury Lounge with Nada Surf and many others.

Blair will also take part in a Halloween show for kids, one of two upcoming Kidrockers events...

Experience the music at the heart of the CMJ Music Marathon as Kidrockers kicks off the fall season with Eternal Summers and Big Troubles on Sunday, October 24th at 1PM at The Living Room.

The following weekend, on Saturday, October 30th, Kidrockers is part of the NYC Parks and Hub TV Pumpkin Festival at The Central Park Bandshell with Chris Barron and Blair.

All Blair and The Blow dates below...

The Blow - 2010 Tour Dates
10/21/10 Sat - Brooklyn NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg / Brooklyn Vegan CMJ Showcase
11/09/10 Tue - Philadelphia PA @ First Unitarian *
11/10/10 Wed - Washington DC @ Black Cat *
11/11/10 Thu - Akron OH @ Musica *
11/12/10 Fri - Columbus OH @ Wexner Center *
11/13/10 Sat - Chicago IL @ Empty Bottle *
11/14/10 Sun - Bloomington IN @ The Bishop *
11/17/10 Wed - Toronto ONT @ Horseshoe *
11/18/10 Thu - Montreal QC @ Il Motore *
* w/ Blair

Blair - other tour dates
Oct 20 2010 9:30P - CMJ - The Rock Shop w/ Beach Fossils, Cloud Nothings, Braids, Lesands, Tape Deck Mountain
Oct 22 2010 8:00P - CMJ - Mercury Lounge w/ UME, JBM, Francis and the Lights, Daryl Earnhardt Jr Jr
Oct 30 2010 1:00P - Pumpkin Festival Kidrockers - Central Park Bandshell New York, NY

I wonder if she gives a good blow.....

is her music any good?

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2010 8:37 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2010 9:10 PM

Thursday is the 21st, not the 23rd.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2010 9:11 PM

wait, that's a chick?

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2010 9:32 PM

"Thursday is the 21st, not the 23rd."

damn, thanks. fixed!

I mindlessly copied 10/23 off the Blow's list of tour dates... which also means the Blow has the wrong date listed on her MySpace and website (working on getting her to fix it).

P.S. her music is more than any good!

Posted by brooklynvegan | October 17, 2010 10:42 PM

BV-No problem! I am not able to make it to Thursday's show and am very upset about it, so when I saw the error I thought that I had gotten the dates mixed up and could make it after all but alas, that is not the case. Glad I got to see Khaela at Glasslands in May, though! Thursday's show will surely be great.

Posted by dinosaur | October 18, 2010 12:47 AM

I Heart Blair !

Posted by anon | October 18, 2010 5:29 AM

Love me some Khaela.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 9:41 AM

So is Music Hall intentionally turning up their shows way too loud in order to sell earplugs or something? Seems like a weird thing to do, and yet the shows I've seen there this year have been WAY louder than (a.) shows at other similar-sized venues and (b.) the dozens of MHOW shows I'd seen before this year. I thought it was just the Hold Steady being particularly cranked up, but I actually bought earplugs for like the second or third time ever to watch OK Go -- not normally an earsplitting band. Los Campesinos! wasn't quite as loud, but I still had ringing the next day, which didn't happen at any of my other LC! experiences.

Also, LC! tweeted something about hating it when venues take a percentage of merch -- I assume it was MHOW that does this, and also, isn't that a dick move?

Posted by rockmarooned | October 18, 2010 10:36 AM

i've never heard of venues taking a percentage of merch sales, that's pretty effed up. pretty much the only way a touring artist makes money.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 10:46 AM

Hey 10:36: (a) How old are you? (b) Are you currently yelling at some kids to get off your lawn? (c) Just bring some earplugs because they make great ones that you can buy other places besides MHOW (miracles, they can happen). In fact, I'm going to recommend you stop by Main Drag on N 1st and Whythe and buy earplugs on your way to a show at MHOW. You'll (a1) get a good set of earplugs you can keep and use time & time again, thus saving you money in the long run & (a2) support a local business. Wow, get along with your bad self.
(d) Bowery Presents venues do not take a percentage of merch sales in my experience, but other venues do (usually larger Live Nation style venues do).

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 11:30 AM

Hey Smug BV Commenter 11:30! (a) I'm thirty. I forget if that trusty "don't trust anyone over thirty" bromide applies to when you turn 30, or turn 31, but in any case, you can trust me that (b) these MHOW shows this year have been louder, well into the "pointlessly loud because it actually sounds worse" realm. Being an old person, my hearing should be starting to go, right, which means if MHOW is sounding louder, than who knows how even-louder-than-that it actually is.

I wondered about them selling earplugs because above they're offering them as some kind of prize if you're one of the first 50 in the door? That seems like a weird tie-in to me. My first reaction when I saw them for sale was actually: "what a cool idea!" because I haven't seen a lot of venues selling earplugs and you don't really know if you'll need them until you get there. But after several incredibly loud shows there in a row, I'm wondering if they're just turning it up across the board to sell earplugs and/or to increase their douche-cred. How old are you, 11:30? 19, or do you just sound like it?

I wasn't sure if LC! was referring to MHOW in their tweetamajig, but it seemed like they were, as it came a few hours after finishing the two-night stint there. If they were talking about another venue, that was kind of dumb timing and they should've just called them out specifically.

Posted by rockmarooned | October 18, 2010 11:57 AM

Whoa there rockmarooned. I'm neither smug nor 19, in fact, I'm older than you are. Read your original comment and tell me you don't think you sound like a crotchety old man that you used to laugh at. Part of being over 30 requires learning when to laugh at yourself for sounding like an old man.
Not sure about Los Campesinos deal, but in my experience, Bowery Presents does not take a percentage of merch sales. That said, that's been a common charge in bigger venues for a long, long time.

Lastly, get these ear plugs (but buy them from Main Drag!):

They are awesome because they don't muffle the sound. They basically turn it down so you still get the high end. They're way better than the ones you can get at any venue and they will last you a long time.

Stay gold Ponyboy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 12:53 PM

12:53, all my original comment said was: are MHOW shows getting louder? and wondering why. This was based on my observation from going to lots of shows there and this year getting what John Flansburgh from They Might Be Giants calls "the invisible choir" more often this year. And, as mentioned with a crack about my own hearing, I wouldn't expect the same volume to sound louder as I age -- rather, I'd expect it to sound lower as my hearing degenerates along with the rest of me. To me, crochety would be more like "I can't stand these MHOW shows anymore! They're too darn loud! And there's no place to sit down!" MHOW is one of my favorite places to see a show so it's weird to me that they would chase some kind of louder-more-abrasive rep.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 1:06 PM

Bowery Presents absolutely takes a percentage from headlining artists. Maybe not at Mercury Lounge, but definitely at Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall, Terminal 5 etc etc. I'm sure it changes from show contract to show contract, but in my experience of selling merch for multiple bands there it's 25% of sales of "soft" goods (i.e. shirts) and 15% of "hard" goods (i.e. cds and records). When you arrive at the venue, a Bowery Presents staff member helps you count all of the items you bring into the venue. At the end of the night, they recount what's left and charge you based on that number. Whether it is a dick move or not, it is pretty standard for venues/promoters of that size.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 3:53 PM

In the immortal words of Krusty the Klown: THE T-SHIRTS?! THAT'S THE SWEETEST PLUM!

Seriously, that sucks. Do the bands get a cut of the beer sales? No? Then the venue shouldn't get a piece of the merch.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2010 5:05 PM