Posted in music on October 6, 2010

"new Showpaper cover's apparently scandalising the community. haha get over it, the back of VillageVoice or NYPress is ok, but not out front?" - Todd P

Showpaper

The above quoted tweet above doesn't flat out say what you'll find on the cover of the new issue of Showpaper, their 89th one-sheet, designed by artist Borden Capalino, but it gives a pretty good idea. For that image, which mimes the fairly explicit ads in many NYC weeklys (and brings to mind the fact that Craigslist recently removed its own 'adult services' ads), click below.

Showpaper will be running a gallery on 42nd Street through the end of December. It opens this Friday, October 8th, with DJ sets by Das Racist and International Tapes and solo music from The Beets' Juan Wauters. The installation will have art, DIY video games...

More info with the new cover art, below..

THE NEW ISSUE OF SHOWPAPER
Showpaper 89

opening this Friday 10/8, and running through the end of December...
THE SHOWPAPER 42ND ST GALLERY
217 East 42nd St @ 3rd Ave | Midtown, Manhattan
Wed-Sun 11am-8pm (+ extended evening hours for events)
opening reception -THIS- Friday 10/8 @ 7PM

:: THU TRAN // PAUL KONEAZNY // BABYCASTLES: A RETROSPECTIVE opening
:: art exhibition curated SHOWPAPER & THU TRAN
:: videogame arcade curated by BABYCASTLES
:: Juan Wauters from THE BEETS ----- solo set
:: DAS RACIST djs
:: dj International Tapes

THE SHOWPAPER 42ND ST GALLERY is a shortterm gallery space featuring monthly guest-curated visual art series, w/ guest curators Thu Tran (of IFC's "Food Party"), Gabriel Fowler (of "Desert Island Books"), & Space 1026 -plus- a 3 month DIY VIDEOGAME ARCADE featuring independently produced artistic video games, presented by BABYCASTLES!

THE BABYCASTLES ARCADE @ THE SHOWPAPER 42ND ST GALLERY is an operating videogame arcade open the public daily, featuring gorgeous, playable videogames by independent developers. These beautiful DIY games combine creative visuals with groundbreaking, sometimes subversive, and always fun concepts; in a setting that eschews the corporate and commercial pressures usually inherent in videogame development and distribution. Come play a game on your lunchbreak, or after work!

SHOWPAPER IS SEEKING VOLUNTEERS FOR HELP W/ INSTALLATION & STAFFING OF THIS EXCITING NEW GALLERY / ARCADE SPACE.
Get involved! pls send an email w/ the subject "42ND ST VOLUNTEER" to:
joe@showpaper.org

Showpaper doesn't have ads. This cover is a sly dig that every other culture rag is paid for by advertisements for sex slave trafficking prostitution rings.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 12:50 PM

so cool. that party sounds fun too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 12:53 PM

Showpaper is a Todd P ad disguised as nonprofit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 1:03 PM

Showpaper is an advertisement for anyone putting on, playing, or attending cheap all ages shows; and an ad for the idea of putting smart art in front of regular kids' eyeballs

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 1:11 PM

where do i get one?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 1:39 PM

@ 1:39pm - All over BK... more specifically, at Bedford and 7th in Williamsburg, right by the L Train exit; you'll find a Showpaper dispenser there.

Posted by Basque Breakfast | October 6, 2010 1:48 PM

"DIY video games"
How exactly does that work? The term DIY is used wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loosely by these people...

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 2:20 PM

DIY doesnt that mean D.o I.t Y.ourself... the videogames were made by the ppl themselves, pretty straightforward not loosely used at all

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 2:37 PM

"scandalising the community"

What community? The 100 or so kids who flock to see the same shitty bands over and over?

That statement from Mr. Patrick is much like the morons on here who over hype every fucking show.

Exaggeration at it's finest. This is not even a blip on the map of current news even in Williamsburg

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 2:57 PM

wonderfully presumptive of you 2:57, but in fact their Manhattan distribution spot (Bluestockings Books) threw away a huge pile of new Showpapers before they could be distributed, because someone on staff was offended by the image

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:01 PM

wow 2:57, you cranky!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:04 PM

Oh pardon me, 3:01, Bluestockings books huh. I had no idea. A huge pile? What like 20 or 30 copies? I stand corrected. Now that you mentioned Bluestockings books I can see that this is a much bigger news story than i presumed. The publishing world must be outraged at this. NY 1 must be covering this situation right now. I expect the major networks to have it as their lead story at 5:30.

Idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:15 PM

2:17/3:15 is fighting a weird fight.

as far as I can tell, he's cranky that somebody said something in (ahem), Twitter, that apparently, in his fine opinion, was exaggerated! There's apparently no chance that what was "twittered" was maybe, you know, meant as SARCASM.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:21 PM

REGULAR kids

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:26 PM

hey 3:15, I volunteer to distribute for Showpaper in the LES and I can inform you that your antagonism here is the only thing "exaggerated."

Bluestockings threw out around 2000 copies of the paper, or almost a quarter of our print run... and that has disrupted our entire Lower Manhattan distribution for the new issue. Todd P is justified in his sarcasm and annoyance at the situation.

What the hell are you doing judging "tweets" so two dimensionally anyway? get over yourself

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:26 PM

who the fuck is anti Showpaper?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:32 PM

showpaper means more than any of you

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:39 PM

2:57/3:15 back again. You loser no job interns are making me laugh hysterically. Get a real fucking job, seriously. I am not cranky at all. More annoyed at the continued stupidity and obvious over exaggeration, sarcastic or not.

2000 copies of Showpaper is a quarter of your print run? And it has disrupted your entire Lower Manhattan distribution? Oh what will the Lower East side do without Showpaper? What will Cake Shop put out front instead so people don't go crazy? Lol, maybe it is you who should get over yourself?

Maybe you should write an editorial to the NY Times today. Really get the ball moving on this huge news story that is scandalizing the whole community.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:39 PM

2:57/3:15/3:39

Jeez, just shut the fuck up already. You have an opinion, you've already expressed it, someone already shot it full of holes. Now shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:55 PM

That is really surprising from Bluestockings. I live a couple blocks away, and I normally go there to pick up Showpaper and browse their books and zines. I wouldn't expect them to censor speech. Burning them might have been more effective. They just lost my business.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 3:59 PM

"someone already shot it full of holes"

Nice try, intern

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 4:04 PM

dig that hole 3:39 ! we all wanna see how low you can go!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 4:05 PM

How much would it cost to reserve the service of all of those gals from the cover for a night and have an orgy?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 4:10 PM

"Lol, maybe it is you who should get over yourself?"

You should get over yourself. Dude, you're sitting on a computer talking shit on the Internet. What the fuck do YOU do? There are tons of things I see on the Internet that I don't like, but I don't feel the need to bicker with strangers about it like I'm a teenager trying to get a grasp my some self-esteem by shitting on others. Knock it off with this "you loser no job interns" crap. I have a paid job working with an AIDS non-profit, I'm going to school and I spend 20 hours each week working hard putting the listings together for Showpaper and archiving our past issues. Yes, it is a big deal when someone decides to throw away a fifth of our entire print run, which was supposed to go out over Manhattan. Especially when the people throwing it out are looked to by New York's radicals as an ideal establishment.

Showpaper has a network over 200 people in the tristate area who help distribute the paper, raise money and work on ongoing + shorterm projects we have. There are almost 100 different artists (all working artists, not friends of our) that we have collaborated with to print their work, and every single issue has come out on time and was paid for not with the trust funds that I am sure you are assuming we have, but with money that individual people have given to us directly knowing that they are supporting Showpaper, something they care about.

So why is this a big deal? Because New York's underground community isn't "100 kids going to see the same bands over and over again." It is people throwing their own shows. Making their own movies. Programming their own video games. Publishing their own material. It is people with politics so left that they have to band together to run a single bookstore in the Lower East Side. So one when of these groups goes out of their way to abandon their own ideals and throw away the hard work and money of another group, yes, it is a big deal within the context of the community.

Over 100 women were raped in the Congo (http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/10/03/world/africa/1248069129146/security-in-a-lawless-congo.html), so is Showpaper getting thrown out a huge deal? Not compared to that. But if you want "huge new stories" as you are discussing it than read a fucking "huge new outlet" like the New York Times, and not BrooklynVegan, which is where you would go to read about Bluestockings throwing out a fifth of the print run of Showpaper, you bitter douchebag.

Posted by Jordan Michael | October 6, 2010 4:17 PM

To the people from Showpaper,
I see you have Das Racist and a guy from The Beets playing this latest thing for you so you probably do not need my band's help.
Also, I am very busy helping to ease the debt of third world countries but I would love to make some time for our band to play a benefit to help out your cause. It really is a huge issue and we want to help out this huge 200 person network. Let me know if we can be of assistance.

Posted by Bono | October 6, 2010 4:25 PM

Jordan, stop shaking your MacBook and relax. Hate to break it to you buddy but even Brooklyn Vegan is too big for news this small.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 4:34 PM

I used a showpaper as a napkin once when I had dropped some hummus on my trousers. Do I have a point? Not really...

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 4:35 PM

Thank you Jordan Michael at 4:17 for making the extremely germane point (among others presented) that this news outlet (i.e., BV) is just the type through which stories like this one ought to be disseminated.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 4:45 PM

dude who doesn't like showpaper was probably in a boring band that played ten shows and broke up. he only wanted to be a STAR

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 5:50 PM

hating on showpaper is hating on shows which makes me hate on you mother fucker.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 7:07 PM

showpaper lists any show that's not 21+ or over $25.

you hate all those shows? you're weird dude

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 7:45 PM

let's discuss showpaper! why? because anyone gives a shit about it!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 8:50 PM

best cover ever.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 8:59 PM

Yeah you go Jordan! Tell 'em!

Posted by Dan | October 6, 2010 9:25 PM

"Someone at Bluestocking’s was offended by the Showpaper cover image that Borden Capalino did, apparently they thought it was exploitive rather than critical. Even still it’s quite reactionary to throw out more than 1,500 copies of Showpaper just because you don’t like what’s on the cover. I wouldn’t be surprised if they carried something like the Village Voice that has those kind of images displayed every week in a manner that subsidizes, rather than critiques."

- jesse hlebo, who curated the series that this cover is a part of

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2010 11:59 PM

As someone who has been involved who has been involved with both Showpaper and Bluestockings, I think there has been some misunderstanding here as far as who actually runs Bluestockings on a day to day basis and how it relates to this dispute

Bluestockings is volunteer run (just like showpaper), However, I've never heard an opinion of a Showpaper volunteer being generalized to the entire staff. I think that the fact that this discussion is even happening because one volunteer at bluestockings threw out some some papers is insane. And the fact that what you drop off at bluestockings is a quarter of your distro is ridiculous because i've seen the vast majority of what you drop off sitting outside and having to get thrown out anyway because a small majority of the distro team actually picks up papers.

Posted by anonymous | October 7, 2010 1:12 AM

pretty obvious it was simply a tuesday volunteer acting unilaterally.

what's implied by BrooklynVegan or said by its commenters doesn't reflect the actual views of anyone connected to anything, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

SO Y'ALL JUST CALM THE FUCK DOWN, OK?

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2010 1:33 AM

Bluestockings gets 30 stacks of papers. We print 200. That's a little less that a sixth. That's 1500 papers (there's 50 in each stack).

We keep as close tabs on every distro as possible with a grassroots system. Sometimes not a lot get picked up because it's finals week or something, but that's rare.

If there are papers left after that issue is done, we've always picked them up to use later distribute later at events. We don't ever throw them out.

I wasn't aware they were thrown out in the past, too. That sucks.

Posted by Joe Ahearn | October 7, 2010 1:44 AM

Let's continue this conversation, Showpaper and Bluestockings, not on the BV comment pages.

We all work really hard at Bluestockings and Showpaper just because we love it, and we have that in common above all else. It's not the way i think any of us would like to do things to talk about this here. I think-- and hope-- that ultimately we all support each others' organizations more than to scathe one another in a public forum, or at all.

Thanks so much to everyone who had kind words about Showpaper. As a volunteer, truly all i want to do is spread the word about all ages, affordable shows and give free access to and promote emerging art. Hearing that people really appreciate it is nice :)

Posted by katie wagner | October 7, 2010 3:47 AM

cool cover

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2010 8:23 AM

>nobody at Showpaper has made the suggestion that Bluestockings "management" (such as it is) made a decision to throw away the newspaper, just that it happened and it sucks.<

That's pretty disingenuous. Both Showpaper and TOdd P have blamed "Bluestockings" and "A progressive feminist bookstore"---that's pretty much calling out the entire operation for a stupid thing one individual did. If the copies were folded so that all you could see on the outside was the cover, which looks like ads, someone might not have even realized it WAS Showpaper. In any case going to the internet and shooting off about censorship instead of getting in touch to talk about what happened and how to work togeter going forward is kinda lame. As pointed out above, if one person at Showpaper or one person at a Todd P show did something dumb, would that be grounds to dump on the whole scene? Are people being "censored" if they aren't allowed to flyer at a Todd P show? Are shows being "censored" because Showpaper won't list them because they are 21 and over?

Whatever, it's just frustrating and dumb. I used to have a lot of people in prison who subscribed to my zine and they would get hilariously redacted copies after the prison mail people had blacked out anything they thought was offensive (ie relating to gay sex--naked ladies are OK in a man's prison)

Both organizations are good people and I think it is cool for Bluestockings to come over here and make a good faith effort to talk it out.

Posted by bkky | October 7, 2010 12:33 PM

whoops and see how dumb I can be. I assumed Katy's comment was someone from Bluestockings. I hope you guys all work it out.

Posted by bkky | October 7, 2010 12:35 PM

bluestockings already does showpaper a pretty huge service in acting as the manhattan distro hub, and i can see why they wouldn't want to distro these papers. obviously the artist and curator's intentions go deeper than meets the eye, but it makes sense that a radical feminist bookstore might be uncomfortable distributing/promoting that work. they just went about it the wrong way is all.

Posted by JP | October 7, 2010 12:55 PM

I am both a Bluestockings volunteer and a Showpaper volunteer. Since stacks started getting dropped off at Bluestockings, I've never seen a single stack of papers get thrown out In fact, in a store with limited space, the collective has always been great about keeping extra copies for archiving purposes and/or distribution at other events. (sidenote: tons of publications get dropped off at bluestockings and collect dust for months before they get recycled and I'm sure that once in a while, there is confusion as to which publications get saved and which get tossed). Further, most volunteers are only in the store for about 3 hours a week and as we all know at Showpaper, volunteer power is a great thing, but it has its imperfections.

I'm sure that the volunteer who threw out those copies had no idea how expensive showpaper is to print. I'm also sure they did not have ill-intentions and if they interpreted the material as offensive in any way, then they probably thought that they were doing the right thing. As far as censorship goes, that's definitely a conversation to have outside of brooklyn vegan. I really think that this is just the result of a communication breakdown between two organizations that I have the utmost respect for, and I know that we can and will figure out a solution so as to avoid future misunderstandings.

Posted by Christine | October 7, 2010 1:23 PM

Christine, voice of reason. Honestly, someone probably didn't realize it was Showpaper. I mean, just look at that thing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2010 1:42 PM

the pen is mightier than the thoughtless mass-dumping of paper

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2010 2:16 PM

As a mother of 3 honor roll students, I am outraged by this issue of Smutpaper. Yesterday evening I found my 17 year old son masturbating to this smutpaper. I am outraged and my entire community is beyond scandalized. We will not be donating to your organization this coming holiday season and we will no longer allow our young to attend your events. I will be burning this issue as soon as my husband gets home and gives me permission to use the fireplace.

Posted by Anne | October 7, 2010 4:25 PM

Woah at Anne's comment

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2010 5:49 PM

whoever anne is, i love her.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2010 9:41 PM

picked up the new showpaper and guess who i saw!
your momma! ooooh!

Posted by ! | October 7, 2010 10:51 PM

as a few other people have said....if whoever was volunteering didn't take the time to open up what must have looked like a pile of advertising....they wouldn't know it was a showpaper, and they probably tossed it by accident. if any of the bluestockings volunteers were offended by it, they'd also be offended by many of the books at bluestockings. think about it. it sounds like an accident.

Posted by carmichael | October 8, 2010 12:07 AM

1500 copies though

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2010 2:02 AM

they kno wut it is carmichael

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2010 5:42 AM