Posted in To Do | music on October 31, 2010

* The Dresden Dolls @ Irving Plaza
* The Black Crowes @ Best Buy Theater
* The Old Ceremony, Mascott @ The Rock Shop
* Rocky Horror Picture Show Anniversary Party @ Le Poisson Rouge
* World/Inferno Friendship Society (Hallowmas 2010) @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Felice Brothers, Adam Haworth Stephens @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Robbers On High Street (as ELO), Black Dragon, Blue Album Group @ Mercury Lounge
* Delicate Steve, Golden Ages, Crinkles, Lawrence Welks and Our Bear To Cross @ Cake Shop
* Das Racist, Keepaway, Pictureplane, The Intelligence, The Beets, Cassie Ramone & Justin from The Babies as The White Stripes, Janka Nabay, Blissed Out @ Ridgewood Temple (Todd P's Halloween Party)

This year is the 38th Annual Village Halloween Parade.
This year's theme: "Memento Mori"

Twenty years ago the iconic Day of the Dead puppets first appeared in the Village Halloween Parade, our festival of All Souls to ritual traditions worldwide -the Guede in Port-au-Prince, the Skull and Bones Gang of New Orleans, in the calaveras of Oaxaca, the Midnight Robbers of Trinidad, and beyond. Often it is in the places where tragedy is more ubiquitous and everyday existence can be more of a struggle, that expressions of the Dead are the most exuberant, a reminder that life itself, despite itshardships, is a gift. The Dead - as they return to drink coffee, play checkers, watch TV,but above all, to dance - offer us a mirror to see with fresh eyes the everyday things in our lives, rendered invisible by routine. Every sound, action, and motion we take for granted, they rejoice in - on the one night they can. So each year, when the skeletons take their place at the head of the Halloween Parade, they are not grim expressions of the morbid but rather joyful reminders of all that is vital.

As the beloved dancing skeletons enter their third decade in the Village Halloween Parade, we seek to honor them - and in doing so, to honor all those who have walked in their footsteps. Official Parade puppeteers Superior Concept Monsters, Master Puppeteer Basil Twist and Haitian Artist Didier Civil plan to work with the Mexican, Haitian and arts communities to make and remake, create and re-create, re-envision and resurrect the entire Day of the Dead section, calling forth not only the spirits of the Dead, but many of the puppets of past VHP artists that had long been absent from the streets of Greenwich Village. Drawing on traditional forms from Trinidad to Tibet, Haiti to Mexico, new 12'-foot tall skeletal puppets will add new life to the VHP's jubilant underworld - a cortege drawn by galloping night-Mares, an illuminated Ghost Train, and a dozen brand-new dancing Calaveras skeletons and who knows what else to join their brethren at the head of the Parade.

As the perennial community of Halloween volunteers gathers again this year to build and rehearse our memento mori ("Remembrance of Death") we'll look back on 37 years of Halloween in NY with another Latin adage: "Vita Brevis Ars Longa" : life is short, but art endures.

Also check out the previous post (and its comments): "What's happening on Halloween weekend in NYC this year?"

The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black was supposed to play Santos Party House, but the venue is closed.

Did you catch Legendary Pink Dots at Le Poisson Rouge the other night? Since their tour was announced, they were also added as opener for tonight's Dresden Dolls show at Irving Plaza.

That Dresden Dolls show also promises "special guests, rare performances, and a cacophony of Brechtian entertainment." AND: "This triumphant return will be documented by the Dresden Dolls fan base in a project spearheaded by This One Is On Us. Fans from all over the world will record, edit, design, and promote to produce a DVD of the evening for all the world to cherish and enjoy. This project aims to blur the link between author and reader even further - until both are one and the same."

Tonight's show at Union Pool show:

HALLOWEEN
8PM $5

DAMN! a Halloween tribute to WHAM!
(Max and Kev from Pizza Party on EVR)
THE CURE(Warm Ghost)
VIOLENT FEMMES(McDonald's)
ELO(Members of The Mad Scene and The Flaming Fire)
DANZIG/MISFITS(Members of Love as Laughter, Children, and Violent Bullshit
Check out Violens' new Halloween-friendly video for "Violent Sensation Descends" below...

Check out Howlies' new Halloween-friendly video for "Zombie Girl" below...

What else?

Violens "Violent Sensation Descends"

Howlies - Zombie Girl

Posted by texastab | October 31, 2010 12:50 PM

i know this isnt the new york times, but you should really know how to spell legendary by now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 12:58 PM

We don't have such things like "pumpkin mountains" in Paris (France)... too bad :/

Maybe in 10 years ?

Posted by Coco | October 31, 2010 1:14 PM

JESUS LIZARD COVER BAND debut (and perhaps only) performance.

9pm at Fontanas. Followed by live band punk metal karaoke.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 1:27 PM

super secret vice party

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 1:27 PM

I think I just ate some haunted hummus!

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 1:51 PM

Just got back from a meeting in Times Square. I'd like to report that it looks like this year's most popular costumes are overweight cop and overweight tourist.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 2:02 PM

NYC + Halloween = the night of 10 million cover bands.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 2:43 PM

yet again by overwhelming popular demand, DIONNE WEREWOLF howls on Halloween!

FREE!
10/31/10
Bruar Falls
245 Grand btw/ Driggs & Roebling

DIONNE WEREWOLF 11PM
all Bacharach, all werewolf (feat katie eastburn of Young People)

DJ JAMS (Widows, Brother Reade) dance party after!

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 2:55 PM

I won a costume contest last night as a bowl of hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 3:11 PM

Site says Karen Black was moved to Don Hill's, anyone know if it's still the same hours?

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 3:34 PM

So Pink Dots come on at 9 and Dresden Dolls at 10?

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 3:45 PM

opiates make you go sleepy

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 4:06 PM

so does
trazodone

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:30 PM

diphenhydramine

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:30 PM

alprazolam

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:31 PM

secobarbital sodium

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:31 PM

I have not had tuinal since the 1970s mainly because I cannot find them. Also, I sleep very badly, sometimes not any all night but current sleeping pills do not work. I never took tuinal all the time just occasionally, and I feel like they almost saved my life. I would sometimes be so anxious that I couldn't attend church, a movie, anything where I wasn't free to leave at a moment's notice. Tuinal helped me to get through this, and I took it off and on for about thirty years with no dependency problems when I quit. Surely wish I could get a few now and have a good nights sleep...

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:33 PM

This medicine is supposed to prevent psychotic episodes - or at least aleviate some of them - but I still have them. It is a guaranteed sleep medication for me - within a half hour, I am out and if I am woken up, I'm in the thickest fog imaginable. I become more forgetful than I already am and I am much more confused. Granted, I'd rather be 'catatonic' than raging, but I surely did not ask to become 'zombied out'.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:40 PM

The first time I took risperdal it made me hallucinate, I was seeing and hearing things as well as having the feeling that bugs were crawling on me and seeing them fly in my room. It put me in a zombie like state, I had no emotion. Physically, my whole body tingled and felt numb; I was very restless; and I had muscle spasms. I stopped taking it because of the side effects I experienced.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:43 PM

You pill poppers need to get to the root of your ills and solve the hard questions... Don't you know that taking these medications are like raising up the volume on your stereo when your engine is making a noise?

Perhaps all you need is some sweet reggae music and a fat dutchie?

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:45 PM

Dude... This is Brooklyn vegan and not erowid.
Perhaps your hallucinating now?

We only discuss music and hummus here... Take your drug talk to the appropriate blog.

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2010 10:47 PM

"Deidre's Hoochie Coochie Halloween happened this past Tuesday at Zebulon - NOT happening again there tonight."

oops. assumed the "Halloween" show was actually on Halloween. thanks

Posted by brooklynvegan | October 31, 2010 11:00 PM

od'd on bushwick's pharma-laced tap water (we need to take the edge off our feverish creativity) a bunch of times. hospital revived me with tribe 40 spices and sufjan. was back to saving the world 48 hours later.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 12:20 AM

there were no "special guests" at the dresden dolls show...LPD only played for 30 minutes!

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 6:42 AM