Posted in dance | hiphop | music | pictures on November 29, 2010

photos by Brook Bobbins

A-Trak looking spiffy
A-Trak

"A Trak has proven himself to be one of the most talented DJs around, period. I had a chance to watch his set from the "backstage" area at Terminal 5 last night and was thoroughly blown away. Flying Lotus put on an incredibly energetic performance that set the stage for A Trak, who rocked his turntables in a tuxedo atop a 2 story platform covered in lights and LCD screens. Visually, it was a spectacle in its own right. Needless to say the crowd lost it for dance floor anthems like 'Anyway', 'Barbara Streisand', 'Shake It Down' and his 'Indestructible' remix. Amidst the furious scratching and beat juggling he is famous for, you could hear hints of hip-hop rhythm working their way into the electro until ultimately you found yourself dancing to straight up rap music." [Electronica Oasis]
A proven way to burn off all the calories associated with piles of stuffing and t(of)urkey is to hit the dance floor, and that's just what many people did on 11/26 at Hard Fest Turkey Soup at Terminal 5, though in this case it was the kind of dance party where everyone faces the stage. Featuring appearances from A-Trak, Tiga, Flying Lotus, Miike Snow (who performed a DJ set), Yelawolf, and Destructo, the show was a one-off appearance for all of the above as part of the Hard Fest series of shows which last made appearances in NYC in for the form of Crystal Castles/Sinden/Destructo and Die Antwoord/MIA/Destructo/etc. One thing all three recent HARD NYC shows had in common? Destructo on the bill. Why? One reason might be because Destructo also happens to be HARD's founder.

A set of pictures and some videos from the Thanksgiving event continue below...

Yelawolf - Get The fuck Up - Trunk Muzik - Hard NYC - Turkey Soup

Yelawolf - Daddy's Lambo - Hard NYC - Turkey Soup

Miike Snow - Hard NYC - Turkey Soup

Flying Lotus - Hard NYC - Turkey Soup

Yelawolf Stage Diving During Flying Lotus

A-Trak - Barbara Streisand - Hard NYC - Turkey Soup

Tiga - Hard NYC - Turkey Soup

I have never been to a show with more high school kids. seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 4:02 PM

How many people went to this thing??

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 4:03 PM

I wanted to go so bad but non of my NY friends wanted to go : (

So lame... was the crowd really young though ?

Posted by Danny | November 29, 2010 5:49 PM

it was sold out and it was awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 5:50 PM

The show was sold out...

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 5:50 PM

I was there, that was one of the best shows I've been to all my life. Everyone was really cool and havin' a great time.
Cant wait for you guys to come back and rock my ass all over again in NYC.

Posted by NYC DubStepper | November 29, 2010 6:04 PM

Yes the crowd was very young. HARD Nyc was for all ages unfortunately, but it was still pretty good.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 8:11 PM

"I have never been to a show with more high school kids. seriously."

It really must be the "all-ages" tag that Terminal 5 gives out that attracts kids to their shows....I find that there is an abnormally large cluster of high school kids at nearly every show I attend at Terminal 5 who are just not into the music at all, and seem to have gone only for the hell of it. The worst experience was when a bunch of them showed up at Of Montreal in 2009 and I overheard one say "What band is playing tonight?" and her friend said "I dunno, some weird indie band." Their boyfriends ended up starting mosh pits.

Even at GBV there were a lot of bored-looking kids.
Yet one more reason to stay away from this venue.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 9:18 PM

i refuse to go to all ages shows. the young kids have no respect for anything. no respect for music. no respect for their elders. no respect for anything. all they care about is having a good time. makes me sick to my stomach. if its not 21+ you won't be seeing me there.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 9:31 PM

Destructo is full of himself for NO REASON.
Miike Snow killed it.
A-Track killed it.
I was surrounded by 12 year olds.
I got the fuck out of there right after A-Trak.

You know...when I was underage I was dying to get into some of these shows and I understand kids coming out in great numbers when it's all ages. But this is seriously some bullshit. I'm there to party and I'm standing next to a 12 year old on line? What the fuck! Get a grip Captain Ego AKA Destructo or whoever is booking these events. At least make it 18 and up or hell 16 and up- or could you make the rooftop 21+ like you did for the HARD summer fest? Come the fuck on.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 9:34 PM

standing thorugh yelawolf was pretty fucking painful.
but miike snow, flying lotus and a-trak were ace. got out of there 5 min into tiga though cause i was way to tired.
also too many fucking 16yrs having sex on the dance floor. felt i was too old to be there. make it 18+ next time pls

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 10:04 PM

looks more like douche fest to me, ucch. flying lotus is badass, tho!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 10:58 PM

I could not agree more with all of the comments about the show being all ages. I felt like I was at a junior high dance and I've never been pushed, shoved, elbowed so much in my life. They were totally obnoxious. I even overheard "we have to go meet daddy" as these two girls barreled into me. No joke. Luckily a lot of them took off when Tiga went on. Must have been past their bedtime. If it wasn't for Tiga mixing "Burning Down", that would have been the worst $40 I ever spent.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 8:03 AM

you realize if this wasn't all ages, there would be like 50 people there...

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 8:33 AM

Nah, I think most adults were just smart enough to stay away from an all ages show. I've now learned my lesson.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 12:35 PM

Honestly everyone needs to calm the fuck down. it was a SICK concert and everyone had fun. So what if there were highschool kids there..i met a few of em and i bet they were rolling harder then all of u guys. and also if ur around 25 and going to these raves then you have no life. raves are the new highschool/college nightlife, so get over it and just have fun.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 5:32 PM

"Honestly everyone needs to calm the fuck down. it was a SICK concert and everyone had fun. So what if there were highschool kids there..i met a few of em"

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 8:41 PM

All this makes me shudder at what the MCR shows at Terminal 5 are going to be like next year.

There won't be one single sale of alcohol all night long.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 9:25 PM

"I see that you chose to go to the show maybe for a very different reason than most of us."

yeah not really.. im just saying that there may be highschool kids there but everyones overreacting. if your really committed to the music and for the enjoyment then they shouldnt even be a problem.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 10:52 PM

LMFAO @ the "if ur around 25" comment. I would like to know how old the person that wrote that is. And, at what age does a life cease to exist? lol

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2010 7:42 AM

OK so yes I think we can all agree 18+ would have been more appropriate, but damn Mike Snow and A-track tore it up, the music really is all that mattered, for all I care this could concert could have been in a bodega, it would still have been worth it to see mike snow and a-track. And it was :)

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 4:25 PM

blame my phone for the spelling error *Miike :s

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 4:28 PM

and blame my being high for the A-trak mistake (shoulda stayed in bed this morning)

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 4:34 PM