Posted in music | pictures on November 1, 2010

photos by Richard Termine

DOWNLOAD: Antony - Thank You For Your Love (MP3)

Anthony and The Johnsons

"This is how it must feel to be an ovum," the singer Antony Hegarty said with a tone of gentle amusement as latecomers flooded down the aisles of Alice Tully Hall during the concert he presented there on Saturday night. It was the second time this singer, who goes by his first name, stopped to let stragglers find their seats. Earlier he had abruptly cut off a song just started -- "Ghost," from his rapturously lovely new album, "Swanlights" -- then tried to smooth over an awkward silence by whistling Satie's "Gymnopédie" No. 1...

...Here, performing as part of Lincoln Center's White Light Festival, Antony stood shrouded in shadow and sheathed in a flowing black gown. In place of his Johnsons, the Orchestra of St. Luke's accompanied him in songs largely drawn from "Swanlights" and its predecessor, "The Crying Light." Rob Moose, elsewhere a musically polyamorous violinist, conducted; at the piano was Thomas Bartlett, a sensitive chamber-pop singer otherwise known as Doveman. [NY Times]

Reading that first paragraph of the Times review makes me feel a little better, since I was also late to the show, but I was so late I actually missed all of that starting and stopping happening.

I think there were at least two big issues that caused people to be late. One of them was the show's kind-of-unfortunate 7:30pm start time (7:30 sharp on a Saturday night with no opener). The other was that the 1/2/3 trains were all screwed up, and I personally spent the first 30 minutes of the show sitting underground in a train that wasn't going anywhere. At least there were people dressed up for Halloween adorning all the stations and cars. That made the situation feel slightly less tense. That said, by the time I got there, every seat in the house was full, so late or not, everyone eventually got there, and what I saw was unsuprisingly beautiful and worth finally making it there for.

Nico Muhly was responsible for many of the arrangements of the night, and behind Antony and the orchestra was the film "Mr. O's Book of the Dead", a 1973 film by Chiaki Nagano featuring the Butoh master Kazuo Ohno and his troupe. Kazuo is the one on the cover of Antony and the Johnsons' 2009 CD The Crying Light. And as the NY Times sums up nicely, it was "Projected overhead throughout the performance -- even during the awkward breaks -- it was both a potent visualization of gender ambiguity, vulnerability and pain, and a garish distraction from music's transfixing intensity and beauty."

It was Antony's only North American show this year. Hopefully he'll tour some more in support of his new album "Swanlights" which was released on October 12th via Secretly Canadian. Download "Thank You For Your Love" from that LP above, and watch Antony's performance of the same song from the October 8th episode of Letterman in the video, under the rest of the pictures from Lincoln Center, below...

Anthony and The Johnsons

Antony and the Johnsons - Thank You for Your Love (Live on Letterman 10-08-2010)

what's so strange about 7:30 showtime on saturday night or any other night?
(it actually started at 7:36 like all shows in cultural venues like lincoln center and carnegie hall).
problem is with dumb people that don't check their tickets for showtime.
and what "no opener" has to do with that?
do you really think any ticket holder thought there might be an opener for this event? it wasn't a rock show in a rock club

Posted by me | November 1, 2010 1:29 PM

I didn't think there was an opener, and I knew it started at 7:30. That doesn't mean that I or others are used to it. Say what you want, but the fact is lots of people were late.

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 1, 2010 1:37 PM

it's probably also a lot more noticeable when people show up late to a seated event like this,

anyway, wish i could've made it, looks like it was pretty special

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 1:39 PM

anyway, it was my fault personally for being late. not passing the blame, though if the subway had been normal I would have just made it.

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 1, 2010 1:44 PM

I think the late seating was also due to the fact that they had a cancellation line and people bought tickets right when the show was starting. The ushers then were bringing people down close to the stage.

The problem was that there was really no break between the songs, so people were being seated in the middle of them, which was really annoying.

That said, the show was wonderful and I wouldn't mind dealing with that again to have seen Antony.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 1:44 PM

"it actually started at 7:36 like all shows in cultural venues like lincoln center and carnegie hall"

SNOB!

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 1:48 PM

anyone get bed bugs?

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 1:57 PM

i think antony and that girl from the xx should have a rose o'donnell lookalike contest.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 2:01 PM

I was late. Don't hate!

My seat: O109
David Byrne's seat: P109

Posted by Mirza | November 1, 2010 3:15 PM

I was late. Don't hate!

My seat: O109
David Byrne's seat: P109

Posted by Mirza | November 1, 2010 3:15 PM

I was on time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 3:25 PM

That last song was super special, "River of Sorrow". I kept thinking of that boy from Rutgers who jumped off of the George Washington Bridge, and got pretty emotional. Thank you for such an amazing evening, Antony.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 5:13 PM

antony and his johnson

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 6:36 PM

Rob Moose is breathtakingly beautiful. That is all.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2010 6:35 AM

truly amazing show, I wish they released a taping of it for everyone to enjoy

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2010 8:28 AM

Was 3 minutes late, be kind Antony was cool with humaness of late shows class act n what a show! Ohno film transfixed into surreal world of pain anguish sadness of life which for me was fitting as I received news of a friend suddendly passing whilst on train in, my dream sat am was of Swans in a tree jumping out n turning into pigs! Tails were focused this theme in a dream often portends ones death or the death of someone close , tibetian medicine psychology, n when saw the film was profound n prophetic !! Master Einstein train experiment strikes again reminding all that life is non linear n past future occuring in the present moment illusion!!
Bravo Antony!
Saw many celebs which added to the importance if this show:
thanks to David Tibet for getting Antony off to
such a wonderful start 1998!
She has arrived!!