Posted in TV | comedy | music | tour dates on November 3, 2010

by Klaus Kinski

Doug Benson

Did you know that The Benson Interruption was picked-up by Comedy Central for 6 half-hour episodes? It premiered on Thursday, October 28 at Midnight (or it hasn't premiered yet if you believe Comedy Central's website), and although I didn't see it, I have seen the live show and cannot begin to accurately describe how funny it is. Essentially, Doug sits on stage (or in the front row) and interrupts awesome comedians as they try to get through their bits. It isn't heckling. It's more like DVD audio commentary that the actors can actually hear and react to. If you're in LA, then you might like to know that The Benson Interruption is taping in your town on November 4th (8:00pm) and November 15th (7:30pm, 9:30pm). Sign up for your chance to be in the audience! I know I would if I was in LA.

On a related note: Personally, I don't smoke weed. I have, and it's ok, but it's just not my bag. I'm a drinker. I am not against weed, however. I've done it, most of my friends do it, and I'd bet dollars to donuts I have family that have done it. For two years I lived with one of the most habitual pot smokers I've ever known. If anything, I think legalizing it could close some weeping gaps in America's hilarious federal deficit; a deficit that's getting so big that we may actually see a new number invented in our lifetime. That'd be awesome. Also, weed is at the source of so many preposterous incarcerations, fines, and expensive legal battles that I think decriminalizing it would benefit Americans of every financial strata and allow the pigs in charge to pursue real criminals.

The worst thing about weed? Weed Culture. Bongs are ugly. Pipes are ugly. The more ornate the glass, the more it looks like Henry Hill's mistress' apartment in Goodfellas. The 420 motif is beyond arbitrary. The clothes the culture generates could ONLY be worn by people who a baked out of their gourds. And the posters. Good grief. The posters. When I hear the word "pot head" my mind simultaneously conjures up two different images of a pot smoker. The first is that of a burrito selling hippy with a lot of baggy corduroy and bright colored shirts and accouterments bouncing around devil sticks and noodle dancing. "Wanna get a hack?" The other pot head archetype my mind conjures up (editor's note: The opinions expressed by Klaus Kinski's mind are not necessarily the opinions of other BrooklynVegan.com minds) the brooding, small town dude who loves Korn, wears oversized black hoodies, baggy dark shorts, and clunky shoes 365 days a year. Pride bothers me. Pride in something as stupid as smoking pot is laughable. Pot smokers are the only people who should follow a don't ask don't tell policy.

"Jesus Klaus. Do you have a point here or are you just using BV as a pulpit for your kind of irrational and basically irrelevant thoughts on weed?" I know, right? But I do have a point. And that is to tell you that the ONLY good thing to come out of weed culture, The Marijuana-Logues, will be hitting The Gramercy Theater at 4:20pm on Saturday December 18th (3:30pm doors). I haven't seen the Marijuana-logues in many years, but the last time I saw the show I laughed like a man under the influence of some serious Big Buddah Cheese brah. What are the Marijuana-Logues? Simply put, it is three men, one stage, many many many stories about marijuana. The line up for the 12/18 show will feature comedians Doug Benson (of the Benson Interruption), Rob Cantrell, and Tony Camin, all of whom a absolutely hilarious. Tickets went on sale on October 15th and are still available, so GET YOURS. Pot heads, straight edges, and squares alike will enjoy the living crud out of this show.

Video of Zach Galifianakis smoking a joint on a recent episode of of Bill Maher's Show, below...

Mehrijuana.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2010 4:53 PM

think the gramercy is gonna give people shit about tokin up during the show?

how herb-friendly are they?

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2010 4:59 PM

The "weed culture" (ie. stereotypes) that you present are a by-product of state repression. If you smoke weed and you've achieved alot in life, then you have alot to lose from the "war on drugs". So, only people with nothing to lose can afford to speak up. This is great for the status quo, since it allows them (and you) to perpetuate the myth that weed smokers are loser juggalos... I smoke weed. I've accomplished great things with my life. Unfortunately, I'm unable to speak openly about these issues because I could lose my job and face criminal prosecution.

ps
You must be joking about these comedy shows being the only good thing about weed culture. Hiphop, classic rock, art, comedy, science, etc... All of these have been greatly advanced by weed smokers.

Posted by Professor X | November 3, 2010 5:59 PM

Are you saying you've accomplished things because of, or in spite of, weed?

Hiphop, classic rock, art, comedy, science, don't REQUIRE weed. They don't exist because of weed. People in those categories may smoke it, but that doesnt prove anything

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2010 6:52 PM

if you've never listened to music while stoned then you don't really listen to music.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2010 7:55 PM

I'm not saying weed is necessarily good or bad. Smoking is obviously bad for your lungs and it isn't going to make you jimi hendrix.

I'm just bummed about the stereotype of "loser stoners". It's a tool to perpetrate the oppressive/racist/etc "war on drugs".

There are a lot of successful stoners out there (like there are a lot of successful smokers, drinkers, prescription takers, coffee drinkers, etc).

But most stoners can't come out because we could lose our jobs and/or be prosecuted. I would like to participate in a public dialogue about the positive and negative effects of weed in my life. Instead I'm stuck making semi-anonymous posts on the internet.... ....

Posted by Professor X | November 3, 2010 8:01 PM

dude.... korn rulz

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2010 9:06 PM

seriously? were you drunk when you wrote this post, klaus? easily the worst post i've seen on bv, period.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 6:50 AM

its not even funny how many people i know with 'real jobs' who smoke weed all the time.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 9:42 AM

@ 5.59 'The "weed culture" (ie. stereotypes) that you present are a by-product of state repression'

Er, no. They are a by-product of conformity to 'alternative culture'. The State might be giving them handouts, but I believe they are still choosing their own clothes.

Good luck with your self-proclaimed 'great things' - like, erm, reading BV with hummus stains down on yo pants. Fucking Hippy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 10:16 AM

@ 5.59 - oh, and btw - 'loose' is spelt with two 'o's' (not 'lose') and 'a lot' is two words, not 'alot'.

'Great things', baby, great things. I guess your great job isn't based on your great spelling...

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 10:19 AM

7:55: That might be the stupidest thing I have ever read. Why don't you just save some time and say "I'm 15 years old"?

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 1:09 PM

For all you weed smokers... Teach for the hummus when the munchies hits. It's amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 1:39 PM

not everyone who partakes has the stupid head-shop sense of aesthetics, you know.

and Doug Benson is seriously not funny, no matter how intoxicated a person gets...

Posted by onceler | November 4, 2010 3:15 PM

@10:19am Haha... Who 'looses' a job, moron? Grammar nazism is the last refuge of a dickhead. Incorrect grammar nazism is just pathetic.

Posted by Professor X | November 4, 2010 9:07 PM

Professor X is right. Way to anonymously rip into someone a new one, only to be a fucking idiot

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 9:48 PM

I don't like those stoner stereotypes either and I am frequently a stoner. I know an architect that liked to smoke because she was able to better concentrate on her drafting. It has its uses. Some people like Aderall.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2010 10:35 PM