Posted in music | tour dates on November 29, 2010

EN

First Frontline Assembly, and now Einstürzende Neubauten have cancelled their upcoming tour:

It is with great regret that Einstürzende Neubauten announce the cancellation of their planned thirtieth anniversary appearances in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Toronto and New York. While the US Department of Homeland Security did issue approvals for the band's visas, it was not done in time to secure the appointments at the overseas embassies and consulates that represent the necessary final step in the process.

The band members are tremendously disappointed by this turn of events and wish to thank all those fans who purchased tickets for these performances for their support. The band would have loved to do the tour and meet their overseas fans. Because this tour was a time-sensitive production, it will not be rescheduled. Ticketholders can obtain refunds from their point of purchase.
Damn.

well that sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 2:12 PM

noooooooooooo! :(

Posted by holly | November 29, 2010 2:15 PM

vague Visa excuse, no rescheduling.

Imma thinking the rock shows sold ok, and no one bought tix for their lecture nights so the US promoters got skittish.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 2:24 PM

Link to the official press release, please. This isn't even on their website as of this moment.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 2:26 PM

almost all of the smaller nights sold out, so sales weren't an issue. Pretty pissed off this is just coming to light now, a few days before their first scheduled date. I just bought tickets / bus tickets / hotel for NYC too!!! so bummed about this...beyond words...I was so excited...

Posted by Geoff | November 29, 2010 2:29 PM

"Link to the official press release, please."

I have no link.

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 29, 2010 2:33 PM

Booking agent needed to file with more time in advance, sucks, now the fans, band and venue have to all suffer. The visa / work permit game in the U.S. is no game

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 2:37 PM

As far as ticket sales for the lecture nights....

Einstürzende None-boughten

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 2:41 PM

I am really annoyed. I was getting a group of people to finally see them; and, now this. Bah. Hope they return next year. Something told me to hold off on buying tickets.

Posted by citybug | November 29, 2010 2:50 PM

FUCK

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 2:53 PM

booo....(hooo)

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 3:04 PM

NO! I've had these tix for months! This was my only planned show for the year! ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Evan | November 29, 2010 3:07 PM

Crushing blows. Not only is a Christmas gift now ruined, but a nonrefundable hotel stay leaves a bitter aftertaste. Crushing blows.

Posted by Fourthisto | November 29, 2010 3:22 PM

Collapsing New Concerts, more like!

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | November 29, 2010 3:42 PM

Booshen!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 3:43 PM

Yes.. I'm in shock about this as bittersweet as it is.
Was looking forward to this event and possibly photographing it. :(
I'm seeing quite a few recent tours have cancelled for various reasons.
What a way to end the decade, eh?

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 3:52 PM

THIS IS SO MESSED UP!!! I was all excited to see both Grinderman and EZN all in one week and now kaput for EZN. I had tix for both EZN shows too.

Posted by 666 | November 29, 2010 3:52 PM

i don't think the smaller shows were "lecture" nights, per se. at least on the european tour, they consisted of smaller, more-intimate neubauten concerts featuring rarely performed songs + band members' solo and side projects...

just saw the two nights in paris and, not to twist the knife, both shows were AMAZING...

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 3:54 PM

the obama regime the worst ever for music lovers !!

Posted by me | November 29, 2010 4:16 PM

well..at least we still have Rammstein to look forward to.....hahahahahaha.
I hate Rammstein
sad that Einstürzende Neubauten are not even bothering with delaying this mini north amarican tour

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 4:26 PM

if you haven't seen EN in the 80's, then why bother?! it's almost like crying about a 2010 Dead Kennedy's cancellation. silence is sexy? go fucking die.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 4:47 PM

Einstürzende Neuhummus

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 4:51 PM

@4:47
like you actually caught them in the 80's. you're likely some recent williamsburg transplant trying to act all "old school". pathetic.

Posted by gnarlk | November 29, 2010 4:57 PM

@4:47

Posted by gnarlk | November 29, 2010 4:58 PM

I am so pissed right now! Homeland Security can suck!

Also, if they have their visas now, why can't they just push all the shows back a week or two?

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 5:00 PM

4:57 4:58
you sound angry. I'm almost 40, so you do the math. if you don't see how this is not the same band anymore that was responsible for establishing both their name and brand of artistic mayhem, then I don't know how to help you.

this is 4:47 btw.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 5:10 PM

First Alien Sex Fiend, now Neubauten. Thanks, homeland "security". Thanks a lot.

Posted by amber | November 29, 2010 5:19 PM

@4:47
oh no, a band wants to follow new avenues of inspiration despite what the "hardcores" think. heaven to betsy, what a bunch of sellouts...

Posted by gnarlk | November 29, 2010 5:23 PM

It's not the Obama administration. This crap has been going on for years-and-years with foreign bands trying to play here. I've read about plenty of cases where the US govt agencies failed to process paperwork in time for bands to be allowed to play. It's total bullshit.

Posted by Lightning Baltimore | November 29, 2010 5:31 PM

Well, you guys coming into town can always catch the new Spiderman musical.

Spiderman, Spiderman. Does whatever a spider can!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 5:42 PM

I wrote 'Einstürzende None-boughten' and made it over 3 hours without getting called out on writing such a lame comment. Phewww, I WIN!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 5:45 PM

Coache11a

Posted by Monklish | November 29, 2010 5:48 PM

If I wanted to hear Germans making senseless noise, I would just turn on the history channel.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 5:49 PM

5:10
Grow-up

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 6:16 PM

This sucks. What's sadder is seeing trust-fund hipsters bashing EN.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 6:32 PM

@gnarlk

you are totally missing the point. this band has become their own anti-thesis. their original approach of destroying all music turned into a pretty sorry rock/pop excuse. they have become part of the rock establishment. sure, to each their own. progression and all. all good with me. but given the background and foundation that this band has (or should I say HAD), everything they did after the 80's just feels wrong. and no shit you'd potentially throw my way is going to change that.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 7:03 PM

LOL! @ 5:49

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 7:23 PM

Dammit!!! *inserts banging head against the wall*
very disappointed!I've been a HUGE fan for years, was sooo looking forward to see them in T.O.

fuck you homeland security for making this happen!

Posted by geo dex | November 29, 2010 7:25 PM

Nooooooo!!!!! I am so upset :-( We have been looking forward to this. Sucks!

Posted by CrimsonMei | November 29, 2010 7:44 PM

I LIKE BANDS

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2010 8:30 PM

I'm so bummed about this! We have flight and hotel and tickets for both nights for this weekend in San Francisco and no EN! This really bites-I was so looking forward to seeing them. Well, I guess I will drown my sorrows in beer in San Fran.

Posted by Elizabeth | November 29, 2010 8:31 PM

I was going to whine about how sad I am, but then I read the comments from people who booked non-refundable travel/hotels. I live near SF so all I have to do is stay home. Getting on an airplane to stay in a hotel in a city you visited just for a concert has gotta suck.

I hope they decide to visit the US again, and they do their visa paperwork a few months earlier.

Posted by Gopiballava | November 29, 2010 10:05 PM

I'm severely bummed. Anyone who saw them at Irving Plaza in 2000 and 2004 knows what an amazing band EN is. Is it going to be another five years till they come to the US again?

Denying visas to performing artists of all kinds is a problem the feds don't seem too interested in correcting. Thanks, Obama.

Posted by Regular reader | November 29, 2010 10:13 PM

http://www.neubauten.org/ the information is on the hp of the neubauten. well, enjoy your lande of the free an home of the brave. don´t make revolution or riots or any kind of political activity, please!!!

Posted by Berlin-boy | November 29, 2010 10:52 PM

translation: we fucked up and didn't do our VISAS stuff on time... sorry....

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 3:46 AM

Ha-ha!

Truth is... nobody cares about the US anyway. Why even bother to get a visa to a place where you will be harassed at the border, treated rightless, etc. I can totally understand that they did not take that much an effort to make it happen... besides that:

COULD NOT CARE LESS. :-)

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 4:07 AM

there are more important things to discuss here. in fact, let's change the subject...who saw the movie vampire in brooklyn?

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 6:35 AM

This is Obama's katrina.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 6:56 AM

who cares, its not like they make real music, its just a bunch of noise with lyrics in a foreign language.

Posted by Erving | November 30, 2010 8:43 AM

this is incredibly awful news. Story was that the 2004 tour was the last time they would tour North America, so these shows were a wonderful surprise. might never happen again....

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 8:52 AM

This has nothing to do w obama you daft cunts. I've been touring the world way before Obama came into office and I've seen this happen many times. Work visas are extremely finicky.

Posted by Powerdroid | November 30, 2010 11:11 AM

In 1995 The Young Gods were scheduled to open for us on a 2 month N American tour and had to cancel 2 days before the tour for the same reasons. So Obama and HS have nothing to do w this. Get your facts straight. "a lot of people with no brains do a lot of talking" -Dorthy to the scarecrow

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2010 11:24 AM

For fuck's sake, more bands have been turned at the border since the Bush Administration implanted Homeland SICK-urity than any other time in history! Blaming this on Obama shows a SERIOUS lack of attention to facts... have you kids been watching Fox news? Seriously, grow a fucking brain...

As for the EN "self-antithesis" debate - Isn't self destruction (or in this case, destruction of their initial concept) actually kind of appropriate here?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 4:10 PM