Posted in music on November 8, 2010

words by Chris Gersbeck

Guided By Voices at Terminal 5 (photo by Schnappy Star)
Guided By Voices

Well that was certainly a show I'll never forget. As any hardcore Guided By Voices fan will tell you, the short period from 1993-96 when Robert Pollard's long-running titular band released Propeller, Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes and Under The Bushes, Under The Stars is regarded as their shining moment. So an entire tour revolving around those albums, classic lineup intact, is pretty much the greatest thing ever. Needless to say, everyone at Terminal 5 last night was ecstatic.

Sub Pop's Blitzen Trapper opened the show at 8pm with their set of twangy indie folk-rock. The six-member Portland, Oregon based group sounded as happy to be there as anyone, noting that their tour with GBV has been amazing, and they were clearly a well-rehearsed and talented act. Playing to an already packed crowd of anxious fans may not get you an uproarious response, but the band kept it short and was finished by 8:35pm. And so the GBV chanting began...

Pollard and co. kept us waiting until 9:20pm, when suddenly all the lights went out and a collage of random talk-radio recordings went on for what seemed forever, sometimes repeating "guided by voices", which incited mass cheering. At long last, the neon sign stating "The Club Is Open" lit up and the cigarette-toking, tequila and beer-swilling Guided By Voices took the stage.

The band wasted no time hitting the classics, opening with "Tractor Rape Chain", "Game of Pricks" and "I Am A Scientist". But let's face it, all of their songs are classics. The vibrant crowd sang along throughout most of the performance, quite a few singing along to every lyric of every track. And let me say that if you haven't sung "A Salty Salute" along with 3,000 other Guided By Voices fans, it's pretty fucking fun. Guitarist Mitch Mitchell was never without a lit cigarette in his mouth, and bassist Greg Demos made motions like the rock stars they arguably never actually were. Hearing Kevin Fennell's drums in such fidelity, especially on songs like "My Valuable Hunting Knife" and "A Good Flying Bird" where full drums were missing from the lo-fi recordings, breathed new life into the band's prolific catalog.

Notable mention must also go to Tobin Sprout, whose contribution to this material has always been highly regarded. His and Pollard's vocal harmonies on "Awful Bliss" and "14 Cheerleader Coldfront" were absolutely pitch-perfect, even more reminiscent of Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey than ever before. Pollard's microphone twirling and high kicks do even more to perpetuate the comparison to the Who, and I've personally always thought of GBV as the band the Who could've been had they recorded solely on 4-track cassette and not achieved such success. But I digress. It really was great to see Sprout back on stage with this band.

As Pollard chugged from his bottle of tequila throughout the night, coming back for three encores, he never once sounded off key or tired, or hell, even intoxicated, despite practically being carried off the stage at the end. Would I have liked to have heard later songs like "I Am A Tree" or "Glad Girls"? Maybe. But that's not what this tour is about. In Pollard's own words towards the end of the show, after Under the Bushes, Under the Stars, "everything sort of went downhill." Though that is debatable (didn't Bob once say that GBV hadn't even peaked yet around 2003?), one thing is clear: the band that played last night is without a doubt the definitive Guided By Voices. And if you're questioning whether it's worth trying to get into to the New Year's Eve show at Irving Plaza, all I can say is that if last night was any indication, you are really missing out if you don't.

Pictures are coming later. Check out the setlist and a video below...

Guided by Voices performing "Game of Pricks" at Terminal 5

Lethargy
Break Even
Buzzards and Dreadful Crows
Exit Flagger
Hot Freaks
Closer You Are
Gleemer (The Deeds of Fertile Jim)
Quality of Armor

Don't Stop Now

Encore 3:
Johnny Appleseed
Weed King

Fucking epic show

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:04 PM

even from the balcony these guys look like geezers

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:07 PM

Seriously one of the best times I had at a show this year. Thank you Robert and co for making a trek to T5 wortwhile:)

On the other hand, can we please hope that Pulp won't be playing at T5 now that they're reunited???

Pulp 2011 Tour Dates:
05/27 – Barcelona, ES @ Primavera Sound
07/03 – London, UK @ Wireless Festival

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | November 8, 2010 12:08 PM

SO MAD I MISSED THIS!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:09 PM

STUCK A PIN IN YOUR BACKBONE

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:12 PM

Best show of 2010 easily!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:12 PM

I though show of the year was already awarded to Belle and Sebastian at the Waterfront, or was it one of the My Morning Jacket Shows?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:16 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:22 PM

nothing but hits!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:28 PM

GBV is the best at everything. Duh. Trocadero, then T5, ready for Irving!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:28 PM

seriously, show of the year

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:33 PM

Fantastic show, what a terrible venue. I laughed when Pollard mentioned that Terminal 5 is his new favorite rock'n'roll venue in New York pointing to the VIP section upstairs. His other favorite was Irving Plaza he said. That shows why your favorite bands keep playing that terrible venue. They are out of touch with reality since they hardly ever go to shows as an audience member and when they do, they get the VIP treatment.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:36 PM

"The show was great, but die hard fans of any band should stop calling their shows "best of the year." They might be "your favorite show of the year," but are certainly not the best."

Right, certainly not. Certainly the show of the year is the one YOU liked best. Certainly.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:45 PM

A little anti-climactic after already seeing them in Vegas, but I must reiterate: without a doubt, T5 is the WORST FUCKING VENUE on the planet. Just an absolutely terrible experience, even when seeing your favorite band. Never, ever, ever again. PLEASE CLOSE so bands I like will play elsewhere. I mean, I'd rather go to Roseland than spend a single minute standing in that fucking Nazi bunker.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:52 PM

you do have to wonder why they clearly oversell the place... unless you plant yourself on the floor and don't move or get a spot leaning over the blaconies, you're not gonna see anything. same thing happened with flaming lips.

that being said, great show

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 12:55 PM

I was all the way up front. T5 was fine. It sounded fine, they had a blast.

I wasn't expecting GBV to be that hungry. They looked like they were having a blast and were super determined to kick ass. It helped standing under Mitch Mitchell the whole night who was going apeshit. What an amazing freaking night.

Posted by noamjamski | November 8, 2010 12:58 PM

Loved every moment of the show but this venue needs to close. Its becoming more than just annoying, its a safety hazard. There are TOO many people in the room. I've witnessed people suffocating, trampled, and claustrophobic in that venue...last night was no exception. I had a spot right up against the barrier and because the room was so overpacked I have a major bruise on my ribs today. Concerts should not have to come with being herded into a room like cattle and forced to stand there like that. I couldn't have said it better than 12:52...it really is like a Nazi bunker.

Close it down. Be it for a "drug problem," a fire safety thing, a general crowd safety thing, I don't fucking care - just CLOSE TERMINAL 5 FOR GOOD.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:02 PM

fucking haters....t5 is the shit

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:11 PM

show of the year

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:13 PM

First time at Terminal 5 last night and now I know why everyone complains about this place. It is unbelievable how bad the sound is and how uncomfortable the space is. Never ever again. An amazing show last night, though seriously impeded by such a shit venue.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:19 PM

OLD FARTS PLAYING FOR OLD FARTS.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:19 PM

The band sounded weak. Dont hate the venue. Guided by Voices were always a shitty live band.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:21 PM

^ ha, doubtful you were even there. GBV sounded amazing and were definitely not "shitty"

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:22 PM

You can dismiss any idiot claiming this was the best show of the year or the venue sounded fine. These are deaf numbnuts lacking a clue. No show at Terminal 5 could ever be classified as show of the year.

Both last night's show and 2 of the My Morning Jacket shows i saw were completely let down by this venue. Both bands played with a purpose but if it sounds like crap, what's the point. It really just sounds terrible there and if you think otherwise you are delusional.

Irving Plaza will be much better and much more epic that is for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:23 PM

Pollard looks decrepit old! That show sucked. I wish I could get a refund. What a waste...

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:23 PM

They were always a shitty band! I split after an hour.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:25 PM

SHOW SUCKED. VENUE SUCKED. WASTE OF BEER. THE END.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:26 PM

i think both 1:23's and 1:25 are having serious 'roid attacks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:26 PM

was Doug Gillard in the band? Gillard rules!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:27 PM

I'm a fan of GBV. I love all of the lineups Pollard has put together. To the haters- they were always a sloppy mess live. So were the Sex Pistols. That's the kind of band they are. If you don't get that, then you shouldn't go.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:29 PM

Actually 1:26 if you thought that show was amazing and sounded great, you are most probably the one in danger of a possible 'roid attack, BRO.

Where in jersey ya from dude? Cause you are the only jackasses keeping this place from closing for good.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:29 PM

Best show I've seen in ages. Totally awesome. Too bad it was at T5 for sure but whatever. Not sure why potheads even care about legalization when every show I'm at there's a fog of god's green herb everywhere. I'm sick of it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:29 PM

Stop hating the venue! Take the earplugs out of your shitty ears, and enjoy a good sloppy rock show. GBV is not about musicianship, they're a PUNK band. What's wrong with you people!

Posted by GBV 4 EVA | November 8, 2010 1:31 PM

thanks, BRO. and while i hate T5 as well, if someone like GBV plays there I go anyway. if you couldn't enjoy it, i really feel bad for you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:31 PM

That was the worst show of the year. :(

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:32 PM

I dont think any of the people writing in FOR or AGAINST the band were actually at the show. None of you sound you like a damn thing about GBV!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:33 PM

don't you people have anything better to do than talk shit about a show you weren't even at? it's pretty obvious all these hate posts are coming from the same person

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:34 PM

SO MAD I PAID TO SEE THIS CRAP! CRAP!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:34 PM

Guided By Voices = OLD FARTS.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:35 PM

1:34 is reliving his mid life crisis for the tenth time. lulz!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:37 PM

NO Gillard. NO Guided. People forget, Pollard fired the band for sucking. It's cool to see old drunks reunite, but not outside of the garage.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:38 PM

I have never seen a bad show at T5 until last night. Dont hate the club, the band SUCKED.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:41 PM

1:41... we get it. Five posts is a bit much.

Posted by gotcha! | November 8, 2010 1:45 PM

Great show. The bass player was cringe-inducing with his "motions" as described above. It was so absurd, it was distracting.

Other than that, very fun. Except for the crowd being 90-95% dudes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:47 PM

I don't get the constant pussy griping about venues. What a bunch of pathetic old ladies. Bummed about sightlines? Get there early, get up front, use earplugs if you have to. Complaining about bruises? That's a fucking rock show, people throw you around. Plant yourself and throw elbows. Every fucking venue in new york city has the capacity to bruise your ribs if the crowd is excited and the band is playing the hell out of their set, as GBV was last night. It's not about the venue. It's about the band. Stop yr fucking crying and talk about what you liked or didn't like about the music itself.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:48 PM

Can we all officially agree that claiming that opinions opposite from yours are all the work of one person is possibly the stupidest thing ever.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:49 PM

yes 1:49, and all your other posts on here are duly noted.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:52 PM

I think we can all agree, if you were at this show, and thought they weren't an atrocity of old pathetic drunkards, then YOU are the old drunkard that doesnt know good music from bad.
Just because you got drunk with your 40 year old friends, does not make the band any better.

Posted by da troof | November 8, 2010 1:55 PM

The BV readers will not be fooled. This show SUCKED ASS.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:56 PM

um, what sucked about it?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:59 PM

To both sides of the fence- You can voice your opinions. But getting disgruntled about a comment that's not equal to yours, is immature and useless on this blog. Some people liked the show, some people were unimpressed. Grow up folks!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:59 PM

Maybe I had high expectations, but they sounded lousy. I see people are blaming the club, but I dont get what about this show was so great? Theyre SO old and boring.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:04 PM

you know what, you guys are right. it really looks like everyone here is having a shitty time at this shitty show. the band sounds shitty and it's a shitty song to play 2nd. everything's shitty:

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:05 PM

I saw that lineup in 1994 at a much smaller, much better venue (Lounge Ax in Chicago - think along the lines of CBGB or Mercury Lounge if you never had the pleasure of going). I hate Terminal 5. I hate the sound, I hate the crowds, I hate the location (though, let's be honest: the bathrooms and bars are pretty solid for a venue that size).
With all that said: last night's show was phenomenal and, without a doubt, transcended the venue. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:07 PM

total shit show

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:10 PM

GBT5

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:10 PM

I LOVED GBV LAST NIGHT. AND I ALSO LOVE THE ROLLING STONES WHEN THEY TOUR. DOES MAKE ME AN OLD FART? I'M 23! F-ING HATERS!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:12 PM

OK. We get the point. GBV is for old people. They still rocked out. I wish they played a better venue because the sound was really low. Irving Plaza should be much better.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:15 PM

This is the typical argument on BV- My show was better than yours. waah wahh.. Shut up old dude! This band sucked 20 years ago, and they sure as shit arent any better now.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:17 PM

47 comments and not 1 hummus comment?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:18 PM

OK, we get it "best show ever" guy. You can stop posting 20 times to make your point

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:19 PM

WORST REUNION OF ALL REUNIONS. LOUSY!

Go back to Dayton and collect your senior citizen coupons! lulz!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:19 PM

Damn the haters. That show rocked. My first time at T5, and yeah, it totally sucks. But didn't matter - was still an amazing show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:21 PM

"As usual a long winded and poorly written cliched review. Maybe that is the perfect review to go hand in hand with the shit venue."

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:21 PM

"BV is not about reviews. It's a place for people who weren't even at the show, to talk about how great it was. Crap("

huh?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:22 PM

I am just curious. How old are the people who thought last night was any good? I'm guessing ages 45 and up.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:22 PM

i LOVE HUMMUS and I LOVE GBV. Nothing beats a Hummus and Potato Chip sandwich on some 9 grain organic bread with tomato and a little salt and pepper and lettuce. And nothing beat that show last night. Triumphant, Terribly Terrific and Tasty!

Posted by whydidyouland | November 8, 2010 2:25 PM

I call it like I see it.

OLD FARTS PLAYING FOR OLD FARTS.

Posted by Shelby | November 8, 2010 2:25 PM

The show was ok. Anyone see a striking resemblance between Pollard and Leonard Cohen? Are they the same age?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:27 PM

2:22pm you were obviously listneing to Girl Talk at your apartment in Williamsburg that your parents paid for so shut up.

Those 45 and up people listen to better music than you ever will.

Now go back to listening to your hipster garbage music.

Btw I would say the average age at the show last night was between 30-35....I'm saying average. Saw some teenagers and old folkds so 30-35 seems like a good guess.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:29 PM

I give this thread, a C+. For honesty and comical value.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:29 PM

Pollard is 20 years younger than Leonard Cohen. He just got really thin and old.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:30 PM

I think the C+ grade is rather generous for this thread... The comedic level is a D-. I don't see not a single hummus comment!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:33 PM

speaking from one of the GBV crew, Pollard just had a really bad beat of the cirrhosis of the liver, thus the loss of weight. so I would hold off the insults about his age, whether you like the band or not. it's not cool. he looks great for what he has been going through.

OK?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:33 PM

Bob Pollard is quite fond of the hummus, but not without his Flomax.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:35 PM

Who and when's the next old fart reunion?

Anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:36 PM

GbV were great, considering the sound. But it's no knock on GbV to acknowledge how terrible the sound was.

People who claim Terminal 5 has "improved" are just kidding, or maybe just employees, but in 3 years nothing has been done at this venue to begin fixing its inadequacies for hosting live music. It's just not a professional-standard venue.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:45 PM

I always judge a show by the age of the audience and the band.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:58 PM

Mitch Mitchell + cigarette roadie = AWESOME!

I had such a great time last night, those songs just make me happy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:01 PM

I'm 24 and that was one of the greatest, funnest concerts I've ever been to. Sure, T5 sucks, but as 2:07 pointed out, GBV transcended the venue. Everyone around me seemed to be having a blast

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:09 PM

where is the proof you have for Pollard having cirrhosis?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:12 PM

3:12 what do you want, his medical chart? what a stupid question

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:14 PM

OK?

>> completely, thoroughly 100% false

Posted by one who knows rather than someone who pretends to know | November 8, 2010 3:24 PM

I said it once before, and I'll say it again-

OLD FARTS PLAYING FOR OLD FARTS.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:32 PM

It's time for GBV to hang it up. Seriously, I'm not a hater. I like Pollard. But he's disgracing the good name of the band.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:35 PM

well unless you can show his medical chart there is no basis for above comment.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:36 PM

Worst reunion show of the year!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:38 PM

I'm sick of these comments! This wasn't even a reunion. Pollard IS GBV. and Pollard is always great! He has never made 1 bad record! Not 1 record is anything but stellar!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:42 PM

Pollard looks awful - No surprise there. And another thing - Where were all of you when GBV played constantly? Fuck Irving - These guys will be at Maxwell's on December 13.

I pray to god that Belle & Sebastian will not play T5 - that place is god awful. Hopefully they will hit up the Wellmont...

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:42 PM

yeh right, of all the 300 GBV albums, none of them sucked? oh please! how old are YOU, 13?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:44 PM

Alien Lanes sucks. I like the rest.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:45 PM

Actually I thought the crowd on the floor was younger than I thought it would be... So much age hatred here...like you people are going to discover the fountain of youth 10 years from now & never get old... present day GBV rock harder than a trillion young brooklyn bands.. Pollards leg kicks were higher than they were in the 90s. As far as disgracing the good name of GBV... I think its very much just the opposite I think he's honoring the good name of GBV...

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:46 PM

even the biggest GBV fan knows there's some clunkers. this show ans setlist however were just great

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:46 PM

Gbv are a bad hippy band. You can't deny that. All of their influences are hippys. The Who, The Beatles, The Kinks. All hippys, and old.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:48 PM

Yeah right, The Beatles sucked? Fuck off Hippy hater.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:49 PM

those are also all the same influences of the ramones. i guess the ramones were hippies too. idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:49 PM

I've noticed so much hate for hippies on this blog. whats up with that yo! If it weren't for hippies growing old gracefully, you wouldn't have seen your precious Guided By Voices reunion. Pollard has always voiced his love for The Beatles and The Who.

POLLARD FOR PREZ 2012!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:51 PM

Now this thread is stupid. People aren't communicating. These idiots are at work writing stupid comments, just to have a voice in the thread. Idiots!

Posted by I heart hippies | November 8, 2010 3:55 PM

Yes... In my opinion the beatles suck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:58 PM

ugh... fine, then you clearly have zero taste in music. piss of

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 3:59 PM

I dont hear a resemblance to the Ramones, other than the songs being short, jerk off.

Pollard has always praised his idols (McCartney, Townshend, Davies) If you think they are shitty hippies, dumo your ipod in a river, then jump off a bridge while your at it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:00 PM

never said there was a resemblence to the ramones. read my statement again

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:02 PM

Screw you 3:59! My opinion is that The Beatles, the Who and The Kinks suck! Take that, penis.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:03 PM

How can you like GBV, and not like Beatles, Who and Kinks??? What the shit!?!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:03 PM

Listen to these 2 idiots. People like you make me embarrassed to be on this blog. This is a blog for people who love The Beatles, like Pollard, the king of Hippie Rock! Piss off haters.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:06 PM

Rolling Stones > The Beatles
Mic Jagger > John Lennon
Keith Richards > Paul Mcartney
Blues bands > hippy shit

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:10 PM

GBV 4 EVR! FAGS!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:10 PM

Speaking as an old fart in his 30s who doesn't give a shit about whatever buzz bands are cool these days, I was pleasantly surprised by how many young kids there were in the audience. There was a big clump of people up by the barrier who couldn't have been older than college age.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:10 PM

I was pretty close to the stage for GBV last night. They were outstanding!! I've seen alot of bands at T5 and I like the venue. The problem is once you're locked in toward the stage there's no getting out!!! I literally had to take a piss in my plastic beer cup, which nearly overflowed, and then, IT HAPPENED!! 2 fucking jock looking scumbags tried to bum rush the stage. Of course they crushed my back in the process and the entire pint of my smelly piss launched all over people's heads and bodies. I, of course did not get wet. So, I will say this to all the haters before me...GBV is a band you will never forget. If you didn't like the show at T5 you truly have no idea what GBV is all about. Lastly, i hope my piss got in your fucking eyes!!! Cheers.

Posted by JackMeoff | November 8, 2010 4:12 PM

Phish has spoken about their love for Guided by Voices as well. They cover the Cut out Witch really awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:12 PM

I am 49 years old. I love GBV. Why do the younger kids care how old their fanbase is? The Rolling Stones are still great too. What exactly are you, the young farts, listening to? Vampire Weekend? I'd like to know, since I'm an old fart and I think I have good taste.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:15 PM

Fuck GBV! Fuck The Beatles! and Fuck Hippies! You all can burn in hell with Jerry!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:17 PM

Article misspells the drummer's name, as late as 4:15 PM ET. I won't help you. Look it up and fix it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:17 PM

"the band the Who could've been had they recorded solely on 4-track cassette and not achieved such success."

Huh?

AWKWARD

C+

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:19 PM

old people are old

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:20 PM

This was a tremendous show; the crowd was really into it; I couldn't believe they played old songs like "Lethargy" not to mention "Quality of Armor." Had a great time, although the sound in that place is pretty bad. Really, really enjoyed it even though they didn't play my ALL TIME favorite song, "Over the Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox." Was really neat to see them all back together again, especially if you've seen the "Watch Me Jumpstart" documentary.

Posted by scobie | November 8, 2010 4:20 PM

What's with the hippie hate? GBV is as much Punk as they are Hippies. What's wrong with you?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:21 PM

I hate Paul McCartney, and I hate Robert Pollard. I love Radiohead, who is not influenced by either.

Posted by Thomas Yorker | November 8, 2010 4:23 PM

Posted by JackMeoff | November 8, 2010 4:24 PM

1:38--"No Gillard, No Guided." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Okay, dude! HAHAHAHAH

2:22--"45 and up." What are you, 14? You still think 30-year-olds are old, probably. Whatta joker.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:24 PM

3:09--You're 24 and think that "funnest" is a word?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:25 PM

I'm so mad I paid for this show! Lousy band of fat old farts.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:26 PM

Pollard's cock is so old. ewwww

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:28 PM

"My opinion is that The Beatles, the Who and The Kinks suck!"

That is empirically wrong, and your opinion is invalid.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:29 PM

WORST REUNION OF ALL TIME. MONEY BACK PLEASE.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:29 PM

this thread is three people yammering back and forth about nonsense.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:31 PM

4:29 I think you're referring to Pavement

Posted by scobie | November 8, 2010 4:32 PM

Devendra Banhardt and all the long-haired headband-wearing granola-eating, freak folk beardos crusting up Williamsburg are WAY more hippies than Pollard, Beatles, Kinks, etc. ever were. Plus the Who are MODS. Shee-it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:32 PM

Irving Plaza will be better for all you T5 haters. See them at Irving Plaza, and then try and explain why you think this band sucks. T5 is a crap venue, but GBV were outstanding. Gillard was on fire!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:32 PM

The above comment is an example of how ignorant GBV fans are! Doug Gillard wasn't even in the band last night! Half the fans don't even know what the reunion was about. I haven't see 1 comment about Tobin Sprout.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:34 PM

....gillard wasn't there.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:34 PM

Tobin Sprout's an old fart. He looked older than Pollard. It's embarrassing. Be gone, hippies!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:35 PM

This is why I hate Hippie bands. The fans are retarded. They know little about the full catalog, and barely know the names of the band members. Too busy to read up on a band you love, hippie? And I also hate hippie bands, because they never know when to hang it up. The Dead is still touring, selling out gigantic tours, and Jerry Garcia isn't even in the band! It'll be the same with GBV, after Pollard dies. This stupid band will tour (for money) as "Guided by Voices" when the stupid fans forget so quickly, Pollard fired this lineup for sucking! Obviously, this reunion was for money, and if you were dumb enough to buy into it, the Hippies have won.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:40 PM

I haven't read any posts. Let me see if I can guess what they say. The venue sucked, the sound sucked, the place was filled with hipsters and hipster-wannabes, the place was filled with drunken frat boys, the crowd sucked because they talked throughout the show and wouldn't get off their blackberries, the crowd should get back in their BMWs and go back to NJ or Staten Island and get ready for work on Monday, and the band is a bunch of boring old farts.

Does that about sum it up?

Posted by Cocken Balz | November 8, 2010 4:43 PM

Love the myths/idiocies in this thread:

1) Gillard was there--HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Try again, son!

2) GbV are hippies--HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's a funny joke...but it's overdone now.

3) Being/looking old = can't rock--such a BV cliche it's not worth commenting further.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:48 PM

That was my first T5 show, and my 1st GBV show. I was totally unimpressed. I felt like I was at a Black Crows concert. Lame.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 4:59 PM

OMG, The Black Crowes are way louder. Both are lame now, but legends back in the day...

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:00 PM

Put all the hate aside, I love GBV.

I just want to ask- was the volume low because of the venue? I was up front and the band was really soft. It was my 1st T5 show. Is that how T5 sounds?

Big Ups to Pollard and co.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:05 PM

I am 14 and I have never heard of this band, therefore they must suck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:07 PM

5:05 I've only been to T5 one other time, to see The National, and the sound was the same then, too. The band sounds like they're underwater. Really didn't like the sound, so I stayed away for three years. But GBV were enough to tempt me back, and I'm glad I went since it was a great show, though the sound was indeed lacking.

Posted by scobie | November 8, 2010 5:07 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:08 PM

GBV was cool, but the drummer was weak. I wish Pollard kept the Cobra Verde drummer, and reunited the rest of the band. Then, they would have been loud and heavy! But the show was ok, regardless.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:11 PM

True. I think it was the drummer that sucked. Something was weak last night, compared to the way they sounded in the 90s. There was no energy in the room. People just stood there confused and bored.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:15 PM

"5:05, that's the band. I have seen many shows at T5. It's a great venue! These comments about the venue are from bitter people. There is nothing wrong with the venue if the band ROCKs."

Truth.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:15 PM

5:11 Well, then it wouldn't be the classic lineup, would it?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:26 PM

i congratulate you guys these have been among the most moronic statements i've heard on here. BV commenters hating on the kinks and the beatles, calling them hippies? huh?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:30 PM

Hey 4:59 - this should be yr first and last post on BV. Anyone that calls a gig a 'concert' should be castrated.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 5:49 PM

to the 'guided by voices are old and crusty' hipster douchebags. the <30 year old openers blitzen trapper seemed WAY less relevant than the older GBV rockers. they were schooled by GBV and the crowd reaction is proof. your self righteous opinions hint at jealousy, and will dissapear much like your own youth into bitter obscurity.

Posted by anonymous | November 8, 2010 6:01 PM

"Anyone that calls a gig a 'concert' should be castrated."

What?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 6:11 PM

guided by voices were better when lou barolw was in the band. and i saw them over 100 times from as far back as when the Signals Calls & Marches was brand new, so i know what the fuck i am talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 6:18 PM

^^
DUDE! You are so dumbpt! They were WAAAAAAAy better before Rollins joined the band! You know - when it was just Keith Morris and Malkmus!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 6:29 PM

wow, the BV comments section hits a new low. impressively pathetic.

the band was on fire, the crowd was into it, and i didn't see anyone not having a great time. put that in your bazooka.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 6:39 PM

It's obvious the above 50 comments are between 3 morons. give it up, the show was ok.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 7:24 PM

They should give refunds.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 7:26 PM

guided MEH voices

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 7:27 PM

3 morons. 1 likes the band. 1 doesn't. 1 doesn't know who they are, but keeps writing in as different people. lol!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 7:31 PM

gimme that booze, ya pumpkin headed cowboy!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 10:09 PM

wow

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 10:34 PM

Colin you do great work

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 12:27 AM

Jesus Christ some of you hater cocksuckers ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Guided by Voices released Propeller in 1992 when Bob Pollard was 35 years old. It was supposed to be their last album before he settled for being a fourth grade teacher until he retired or died.

You smug young pricks will, very shortly, face a similar choice. And if statistics are any guide, most of you will settle for a shit depressing pointless life instead of achieving international stardom as Bob Pollard did after the age of 35.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:52 AM

I also went to the concert last night, and have to say that Robert Pollard and crew rocked it, despite the sound problems. I've been to Terminal 5 several times now, and have to agree with several other posters about the constant sound problems there.

Still, the band was full of great energy and showmanship. Bob was killing it, spinning that microphone and jumping around the stage while taking swigs of tequila. The audience was loving it too, with a large number of people jumping around and singing along most of the night. You don't normally see that type of positive and spirited energy at a "hip" New York show. While there was feedback and other sound issues at times, the band played through it. Robert Pollard sounded great as well, and I'm glad that his vocals were high in the mix. I was also glad that he gave Tobin Sprout the floor, as Sprout's ballads are some of the best songs from those years. I'm not about to say it was the show of the year, but it was a damn good concert.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 2:08 AM

with the exception of a few, these are the worst comments in BV history, which is saying an awful lot... some of you folks don't know the first thing about the first thing..

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 9:28 AM

Anyone that calls a concert a "gig" better be on stage playing that night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 9:35 AM

yeah when did "gig" become synonymous with "concert" or "show"?? NME, not that I read that piece of crap, even has a section called "Gig Tracker" or something. a gig is a freaking job!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 9:47 AM

2:08, there is no room on BV for insightful comments like yours. Kidding. Good to see someone finally analyze the show and not just the crowd.

Posted by Gold N. Shauer | November 9, 2010 10:34 AM

Amen 1:52 am

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 10:58 AM

1:52 nailed it

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 11:06 AM

GEE BEE VEE. GEE BEE VEE.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 11:43 AM

WORST REUNION OF ALL TIME. NOT NEEDED.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 12:49 PM

Looks like the band members wrote some comments above

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 12:51 PM

Were you at the show??? Look how old they are! I doubt they know how to turn on a computer. Old hippy bands dont go on BV. lulz

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 12:53 PM

Bob Pollard is from Ohio? Why does he sing with a british accent? Lame.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 12:58 PM

The Hold Steady>Guided By Voices

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:00 PM

OLD FARTS PAYING TO WATCH OLD FARTS AT T5.

Posted by T5 Blows | November 9, 2010 1:05 PM

Bob Pollard sucks old cock. ewwwww

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:08 PM

Don't even bring The Hold Steady into this! Gbv is nothing next to them.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:14 PM

this thread just needs to die. all these comments dissing pollard and GBV are probably one pathetic loser, sitting on his couch in pajamas rotating between farting, shitting and masturbating all the while collecting unemployment and listening to phish

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:28 PM

Russ Pollard has made so much music. Respect the man for that, if anything!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:43 PM

I think you're right, 1:28.

Posted by Cap'n Craptastic | November 9, 2010 1:44 PM

BV posted 1 photo and a video of a sausage fest of old people. I think that says it all about the importance of Guided by Voices.

MEH.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:46 PM

Why do I smell old sausage when I hear this band ? Gross!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:50 PM

williamsburg fixed wheel trusafarian cunt is a sterotype, as is GbV fans are old drunk farts watching other drunk old farts cashing in. The difference is the first one is true, the latter so false and hilariously pleasing to everyone who knows You Either Get It Or You Don't.

Enjoy Smugburg haters, you can mow my lawn when daddy cuts you off. I'm too old for menial labor. And hurry the fuck up with coffee, Sneery McStupidhaircut.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 2:30 PM

This band sucks old cock.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 2:36 PM

I live in the Burg, and I liked the show! Why target your hate at where one lives? Jack off!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 2:43 PM

Apologies to non smug, snarky Brooklyn youth, and okay, I jacked off. Pretty fast for an ol drunk, hmmm?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 2:47 PM

This band still sucks old cock.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 2:49 PM

I think the ultimate in "I'm a loser and have no life" is to submit multiple comments on a show you hated. You know what I do when I hated a show? I don't read about it, I don't spend time writing about it, I don't go on and on and on responding to people, "no you're wrong, it sucked." Truly, get a life.

That said, I loved the show; the band was on their game; that venue is effing scary. You can NOT get out of there, and if you're drinking even a little of the beer they very much want to sell you, you'll have to hit the loo at some point.

Posted by Bags | November 9, 2010 2:53 PM

Bags is obviously working for the band. Get a new job Bags, your band is on their way out!

Posted by Old Hippies need to go | November 9, 2010 2:59 PM

Would people stop writing "worst show ever" or "best show ever"

Both are equally annoying and not of any truth.

Posted by regular reader | November 9, 2010 3:03 PM

Wow. "It's full of morons."

For those (or "the person") posting 5 word comments about not liking the performance (not the venue), at least use one brain cell to explain why. And age of the band and/or audience is not a reason a show is not any good (unless you are an idiot). They unquestionably have more energy onstage than most bands half their age, thus making it even more of a witless comment. Also, I was in the back and saw a glorious sea of fists in the air many times, with people singing along all over the place, so the mellow crowd comment makes no sense at all. Those hippies (?!? hilarious) destroyed that place. For anyone who doesn't get it, have fun at your "Matt and Kim" (L.O.L.) show.

Posted by tman | November 9, 2010 4:59 PM

>For anyone who doesn't get it, have fun at your "Matt and Kim" (L.O.L.) show.

Hysterical.

Posted by Phil McCracken | November 9, 2010 5:11 PM

Perfect, Tman. I can tell you, I wouldn't walk out to my own backyard to see Matt & Kim, but that's what makes the world go round. Also wouldn't go on to a M&K thread and spend my time bashing them with witty quips like "they suck, their fans are boring."

Guess I am somehow what an old punk, power pop, rock loving "hippi" is like. I'm enjoying that hippies are now into power pop punk a la GBV. Can you picture the twirling dervish gauzy skirts and scarves with chirpy ankle bracelets at a GBV show? I'd much rather be doused with a Miller Lite than go home smelling like patchoulli (which luckily I can't even spell).

Posted by Bags | November 9, 2010 5:26 PM

Interestingly, "Old Hippies need to go," what you believe is 'my band' did sell out T5 in less than an hour, and had the place jumping for two hours on a Sunday night. Looks like I'm in good company, and apparently you were there if you are spending time commenting on the show. Your bad for spending your hard-earned or parent-gifted money on a show you hate.

And....I'm out.

Posted by Bags | November 9, 2010 5:29 PM

I am 20 years old and I have been to many concerts already. GBV rocks harder than just about every band I have seen these days and they are in their mid-50's. Both GBV shows I have seen are filled with catchy blistering pop tunes, a two to three hour set and an amazing live presence and sound from the band. Not to mention, their newest albums are FANTASTIC! When I first saw them with some friends, I didn't know what to expect but by the end I realized that these guys are still making rock and roll history and will eventually go down as one of the best American rock bands ever. Not to mention, they have influenced The Strokes, The Shins,My Morning Jacket (who have all opened up for GBV) and countless amounts of other great bands. I know it is two years later but I read some of these comments in disgust....

Posted by Dearpeople | July 16, 2012 5:17 PM