Posted in music | tour dates on November 13, 2010

James Chance and the Contortions

Sat, Nov 13 (early): West Village - Le Poisson Rouge (158 Bleeker): the original CONTORTIONS reunion (no wave pioneers' first Manhattan show in many years!) w/Five Dollar Priest, Peter Agoston, and Mr. Jonathan Toubin, 7PM DOORS, 8PM SHOW, $15/$17

THE ORIGINAL CONTORTIONS are reuniting for their first Manhattan show in a decade! This is the most complete lineup to ever re-unite - James Chance (thee James White himself - who needs no introduction), Pat Place (the ultimate no wave guitar heroine also of Bush Tetras etc), Don Christensen (super-drummer also of Raybeats, etc.), Jody Harris (another distinguished guitar legend who, also played with Lester Bangs, Raybeats, Golden Palominos, Richard Hell, John Zorn, and many more), Robert Aaron (not an original Contortion but this multi-instrumentalist is James' frequent collaborator - known not only for his avant-jazz solo records but his studio work with everybody from B-52s and Blodie and Chic and Afrika Bambataa and Wu Tang Clan), and, for the first time since the 1970s, Adele Bertei (who went on to form The Bloods then become a world-famous disco/dance music vocalist after leaving the Contortions in 1979). A stellar aggregation! Also, get there early (8pm) to catch Five Dollar Priest a skronky swamp blues super-group featuring Ron Ward (Speedball Baby), Grasshopper (Mercury Rev), George Porfiris (Heroine Sheiks), Patrick Holmes (downtown clarinet legend) - whose members have included Norman Westberg (Swans, Foetus, etc!) and Bob Bert (Pussy Galore, Sonic Youth, etc.) and regular guest are the likes of James Chance, Tami Lynn (that's right, the legendary soul diva!), and more. The Djs are Panache Booking's Peter Agoston and New York Night Train's own Mr. Jonathan Toubin. This is gonna be killer! Get you tickets now and, whatever you do, don't miss it!

then, follow The Contortions, Jonathan Toubin, and the rest of the cast to Don Hills!

Sat, Nov 13 (late): Soho: Don Hill's (511 Greenwich St) Contortions official afterparty w/DJ Jonathan Toubin, T.V. Baby and a very special surprise musical guest, 11pm, FREE

So is like, every No Wave band getting back together?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 12:08 PM

Any more dates?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 12:21 PM

No more dates as of now. This is a one-off, specific to NYC, since all the original members live here. Could see some more dates elsewhere in 2011. But as of now, nothing is officially planned.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 12:40 PM

SO SICK!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 12:50 PM

I was amazed this show wasn't posted on BV until now.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 1:04 PM

12:08 Even if the contortions play the most boring turd of a show of their entire career it's guarantee to surpass pavement's greatest shit by a longshot

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 1:04 PM

James Chance has been on fire!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 1:06 PM

somebody give the man a glass of water

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 1:09 PM

Definitely looking forward to this show. Gonna be killer!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 3:10 PM

One week is Ut, the next is the Contortions. Such a great year for the downtown No Wave scene!!!

Posted by citybug | November 13, 2010 3:24 PM

Don't forget about the Mudd Club reunion show last week. No Wave goodness!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2010 5:25 PM

^^^ Oh yeah at the Delancey!!! My God. It has been a sweet year. I forgot to put it with these occurrences.

Posted by citybug | November 13, 2010 5:53 PM

That was some amazing show. Their fervor was unseen. They played like they were back together - as close as possible - as if they were never apart. Their raw energy was just awe-inspiring.

Posted by citybug | November 13, 2010 11:56 PM

Play in LA. I beg of you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 12:17 AM

The best Contortions show I've ever seen. Chance and the band were on, and having Adele Bertei back in the fold pushed it over the top. Fantastic!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 2:11 AM

Agree about Adele! I seem to have blanked out; but, who was their bassist tonight? The awesome church-going black lady on the stool - she played some insane basslines on half the songs.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 2:22 AM

I didn't catch the name, but I know what you're sayin'. I kept asking myself; "Who's taking care of the grandkids tonight?" Funky grandma held it down!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 3:09 AM

This show was insane and that bass player fucking killed esp on the James Brown cover of Superbad. What an amazing show!! More dates puleeze!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 4:25 AM

this was, surprisingly, not sold out and everybody there had a great time. lots of dancing and screaming. James can still do a mean shuffle. Agreed on the bass player-wow! who was that?

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 4:55 AM

FUCK ME! Please play another one!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 9:36 AM

This was one of the very best of the thousands of gigs that I've seen over more than two decades of going to shows.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 10:08 AM

As awesome as this show was, I do have one snarky comment to make: 5 Dollar Priest really needs to figure out something to do other than ripping off Pere Ubu and The Fall.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 10:10 AM

Anyone know who the very special surprise musical guest was at Don Hill's?

Posted by texastab | November 14, 2010 11:16 AM

^Outstanding video footage citybug! From someone who wasn't there, thanks!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 12:57 PM

Thanks. Had to get some of the show. It was such a show where you really needed some of it documented. I was going to get Contort Yourself but alas I along with the crowd was dancing way too much to take video.

Posted by citybug | November 14, 2010 1:18 PM

James Chance was the surprise guest at the Don Hill's - he played a short sweet set!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 2:12 PM

Last night's set clocked-in just short of an hour (there was some muttering about a curfew), however, it was all killer - no filler.

Agreed, great job, Citybug! Now, did anybody record "Super Bad?"

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 3:16 PM

Maybe it was a tall order, but I was hoping for "Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough". Still a great fucking show. Jimmy can still rock you off, at 57 no less!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 3:29 PM

@2:12pm - Just he...or the entire Contortions band, including the seated Grandma bassist? Approx. how long was the Don Hills set?

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 3:30 PM

"Play in LA. I beg of you."

Agreed wholeheartedly. And while we're at it, can we get an Au Pairs reunion?

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | November 14, 2010 4:57 PM

^Don't know what about this Contortions reunion made you think of Au Pairs Crosseyed...but I'm right there with ya. Come Again! (get it?)

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 5:00 PM

@Crosseyed Sniper: You're in my brain. (And also in LA, apparently). I kept listening to James Chance and the Contortions and the Au Pairs yesterday. Do I know you?!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2010 5:29 PM

I am in the hearts and spirits of lovers of independent music everywhere. Also, you missed a button when you buttoned up your shirt this morning and consequently your shirt is lopsided. You're welcome!

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | November 14, 2010 5:51 PM

@Crosseyed Sniper: As a woman, I should be freaked out. But alas, I'm not.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2010 1:43 AM

That's because I - the spirit inside the spirit of independent music lovers everywhere - love you, your good taste, your gender, and even that new haircut of yours. You feel that love, and it dispels any fears you may have about my cosmic voyeurism. Here. Have a cookie. You've earned it, courageous Au Pairs and/or James Chance fan!

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | November 15, 2010 2:52 AM

James Chance was a guest? That freaking rocks..

Posted by the chainsaw sharpener | November 15, 2010 10:02 AM

God, here's to hoping for another Contortions show!

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2010 10:40 AM

That was a great show indeed, and I was whipped into a frenzy for a while, but I have to say that the uninspired Chain of Fools cover poured a big bucket of cold water over me. I think I heard Chance say the bassist was the Kim Clarke, of Defunkt fame, which makes sense - confirmation anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2010 4:31 PM

I shot some vid, and I can verify that on Chain of Fools, while Adele's singing was fantastic, the band was um, a little tentative. But the rest of the show was great. I don't recall Pat Place playing as much slide at the PS1 a couple years back. Jody Harris was sharp! I now see that that bit where Judy comes on and drags James off at the end is schtick, they had me fooled for a moment.

Posted by joly | November 15, 2010 8:14 PM