Posted in music on November 9, 2010

Jonathan Shaw, Johnny Depp, and Jim Jarmusch
Jonathan Shaw

A well-known tattoo artist and son of big-band legend Artie Shaw was arrested after cops found an arsenal of heavy weaponry among his belongings, prosecutors said Monday.

Jonathan Shaw, who opened the first legal tattoo parlor in the city and inked celebs like Johnny Depp, Marilyn Manson and Naomi Campbell, was arrested Sunday after movers found the weapons cache in a storage locker.

Shaw was sending the contents to Los Angeles, but when the movers found rifles in a suitcase and duffle bag, they called police, said Manhattan prosecutor Christopher Prevost.

Cops discovered an AK-47 assault rifle, a Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun, a loaded British rifle, 96 knives, five sets of metal knuckles, eight batons, 2,833 rounds of ammunition, stage pistols and an air rifle, authorities said.

Shaw, 57, was hit Monday with dozens of weapons possession charges. The tattoo artist's lawyer painted a different picture of his client. "He's a peaceful man," said Brian Pakett, describing Shaw as an artist and author. "The charges miscast the type of person Mr. Shaw is. He never had as much as a fight."...

...Shaw earned notoriety for his tribal tattoos, opening Fun City Tattoos in the East Village in 1991. [Daily News]

Biggest asshole in the business.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 10:46 AM

His most recent book was about fucking underage crack-addled prostitutes in Brazil...VERY peaceful man.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 10:56 AM

new york's not the place to have weapons. They burn you for that even though you've never used them in your life. The only people allowed to have weapons in this city are cops (some of whom have no business having weapons)

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 10:56 AM

maybe he should have taken up the clarinet.

Posted by donn | November 9, 2010 11:04 AM

oh yeah? well I am in the city in my apartment right now handling a fully loaded .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol. It is not registered and I am not a cop. Go ahead punk, make my day.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 11:08 AM

I'm glad that sane people like @11:08, who react calmly to postings on a music blog, are armed. Makes me want to join the NRA.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 11:25 AM

that's not "heavy weaponry" silly city kids

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 11:33 AM

i remember when fun city opened..ahhh, those were the days. johnny came over and showed me his devotion to me through tattoo. unfortunately, JD has removed it, that made me blue.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 11:50 AM

I can't believe his father was artie shaw.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 12:44 PM

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Posted by The Mighty KC | November 9, 2010 12:50 PM

I'd hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 1:34 PM

total douche

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 2:34 PM

MEHvey MEHponry

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 4:06 PM

Well, Artie shaw was also a cantankerous douche (woops, I mean a "man of integrity and principles", yeah that's the ticket!), so it's not a real big surprise here. Apple don't fall too far from the tree.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 4:09 PM

his father had 8 wives among them Lana Turner and Ava Gardner

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2010 4:16 PM

Tattoos are fucking stupid and tacky. Whenever I find out someone has one, my opinion of them goes down.

Also, scooters and motorcycles. Get a bike or a car, fuck you.

Posted by jim d | November 10, 2010 1:33 AM

I have a ratio of a hummus platter on my lower back.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2010 2:09 AM

Johnathan is a great artist look at his friends in the photo...there cool! not like you pussysonline.
I dare any of you to go up to him and shoot your mouths off.
JS rules!!....Billy

Posted by BILLY | November 11, 2010 9:27 AM

Jonathan Shaw is a creep and a criminal who should go down in flames! this man was a real threat to the community of the east village with is drug and illegal gun running. so it was about time he got caught for his criminal evil deeds.

He was Also shipping drugs heroin cocaine. which the workers who found it didn't report which they took for them self's LOL!. but only reported the AK- 47s, 12- Gauge Shotguns And The 3,000 Round of Ammo That was being smuggled to L.A.

Thank god the feds caught him before someone got killed because of him! and Thank God For Prosecutor Christopher Prevost who will throw the book at this Terrorist sleazebag Tattoo Con artist Jonathan Shaw! who will get long 15 years in prison! LOL! LOL! LOL! -PAYBACK BABY!

Posted by Payback baby | November 11, 2010 2:54 PM

Ooooooh, Jonathan shaw is in Trouble. as always i should know. he tried to rape me 10 Yrs ago. as many who know me in the Lower east side as well. i've been in the gothic punk scene for years and never meet a monster such as him before. if it wasn't for my heart surgery after i told him i can die if he continues to force me to have sex with him. and i have Asthma when he ripped off my shirt and saw the long Stitched up Surgery scar thats permanent on my chest that turned him off i would have been a victim too.

i'll be a witness to his crimes

Hilda Purple Goth punk chick.

Posted by Hilda | November 12, 2010 11:49 AM

Jonathan Shaw is egotistical, meglomaniac. I don't care how much you contributed to the world of tattooing, when you are a genuine asshole you get what you deserve. Let him spend some time in jail and see how tough he really is.

Posted by Hamilton | December 11, 2010 2:57 PM