Posted in music on December 2, 2010

Arcade Fire @ MSG (more by Bao Nguyen)
Arcade Fire

PRESS RELEASE:

"Now our parents will get off our backs about getting a real respectable job!!!!!"--Win Butler

The Suburbs has received a total of three nominations: Album Of The Year, Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals for The Suburbs' "Ready To Start" and Best Alternative Music Album.

Reached for comment in London, where the band is in the midst of a two-night stand at the O2 Arena, Arcade Fire's Win Butler said, "We are very proud of the record we made and feel incredibly blessed that so many people have gotten it! For those of you who don't understand how gambling works, if something is 100 to 1 odds and you put down 10 dollars, you win 1000 dollars... I'm just saying."

The Suburbs was released August 3, 2010 on Merge Records, debuting at #1 on the U.S. Top 200 and selling nearly 400,000 copies as of press time. The record has been supported by an extensive world tour that has included two nights at New York's Madison Square Garden and a November 13 appearance on Saturday Night Live. The current run of dates will conclude December 12 in Glasgow.

The 53rd annual Grammy Awards will take place at Los Angeles' STAPLES Center on Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011, and will air live on CBS from 8 - 11:30 p.m. (ET/PT).

More about this year's nominations HERE.

"this is O.D.B and I love you, PEACE!"

Posted by from beyond | December 2, 2010 5:40 PM

should have called out how retarded the grammys are

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 5:43 PM

Haha that ODB video is awesome. The original Kanye.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 5:47 PM

Sincerely hope they perform at the awards, perhaps sandwiched in between Lady Gaga & Katy Perry shittiness.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 5:54 PM

they suck

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 6:17 PM

"Arcade Fire's critically acclaimed opus The Suburbs has been nominated for Album Of The Year, arguably the highest possible honor of the 53rd annual Grammy Awards."

Who's making THAT argument?

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 7:04 PM

7:04 It's pretty self-evident, undergraduate boy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 7:22 PM

Bands that get nominated for Grammy® Awards have meh in their DNA

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 7:48 PM

7:48 following your logic Radiohead is meh.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 8:01 PM

Wayne Coyne said these dudes are a-holes. Wayne knows what he's talking about. Have fun blowing corporate america Win & co.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 9:15 PM

Might be worth asking some of the bands who've actually worked with Arcade Fire what they think, 9:15. Wayne's alone in his own little world on that one. I mean, I like him, but he's wrong.

Arcade Fire are a decent bunch, they deserve their success. They're still an outside bet for the Album of the Year win though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 9:50 PM

"They're still an outside bet for the Album of the Year win though."

I don't bet when the contest is rigged

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 9:54 PM

Zing.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 10:09 PM

Agree - should've dissed the Grammy's - I guess he knows a win will help sales. Then again, a better quote ripping the Grammy's might've generated more sales & locked in a win for da people...

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 10:29 PM

a "win" win

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 10:46 PM

10:29, being a dick about an award nomination, something which is at-worst harmless, would have been even more laboured and trite than being a giddy little tweenybobber about it though, really.

Making a big deal about how meaningless it all was might have had some impact back in the age of Grunge, but not anymore. If Win Butler did now, just for the sake of putting a bit of indie credit in the bank, it would have been a bit nauseating. The same kind of empty pandering, just to a slightly different audience - Leave that stuff to whoever NME is coddling this week.

I don't think Arcade Fire make music for the sake of awards or anything, but at the same time, any kind of accolade is always nice. I think Butler's response pretty much reflects that. "Hey, thanks very much. Sorry man, I gotta go, we're on soon..."

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 11:23 PM

too bad it's not for "funeral".

you know, the better album.

Posted by d | December 2, 2010 11:27 PM

OMG OMG OMG -- I HATE THE ARCADE DIRE!!!

Posted by ARCADE DIRE GUY | December 2, 2010 11:45 PM

Wayne Coyne is keeping it real: the Arcade Dire are MAJOR LEAGUE ASSHOLES.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2010 11:49 PM

11:49 is keeping it real: Anonymous username is MAJORLY ANONYMOUS

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:12 AM

it would have been epic if MPP was nominated last year.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:36 AM

They are pretty terrible, god knows they deserve a grammy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 2:37 AM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 7:05 AM

BREAD should win every award for eternity.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 7:38 AM

I reacted to the Arcade Dire by getting a case of the dry heaves.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 7:43 AM

Wayne Coyne is a TRUTH TELLER: the ARCADE FIRE are a bunch of fucking ASSHOLES!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 7:52 AM

"I get really tired of their pompousness … We’ve played some shows with them and they really treat people like shit. Whenever I’ve been around them, I’ve found that they not only treated their crew like shit, they treated the audience like shit. They treated everybody in their vicinity like shit. I thought, ‘Who do they think they are?’ I don’t know why people put up with it. I wouldn’t put up with it. I don’t care if it’s Arcade Fire or Brian Eno. If either of them walked into a room and treated people like shit I’d be like, ‘Fuck you, get outta here.’

… People treat Arcade Fire like they’re the greatest thing ever and they get away with it. Those sort of opinions change my view of their music. They have good tunes, but they’re pricks, so fuck ‘em. Who does Arcade Fire think they are? I’ve been around groups. I’ve been around the Edge from U2 and he’s the fucking sweetest guy ever. I was around Justin Timberlake when he was young and he was just a normal, nice, kind person. Anyone can be polite and kind and people who have the privilege and money and attention should understand that. If they don’t, then fuck ‘em."

--Wayne Coyne

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 8:03 AM

People Wayne Coyne has slammed:

Arcade Fire
Beck
Bob Dylan
Richard Ashcroft

Am I missing anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 9:06 AM

i dunno, something tells me that wayne coyne is a genuine guy and just calls out people who aren't.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 9:22 AM

well shouldn't it be about the music, if its good it speaks for itself, who gives a shit how the band is maybe that's what makes them tick. Its all cause you got rejected when asking for an autograph and now your feel like they owe you something when in the end you prob dint even buy the record, just got it of of rapidshare. Thats why i dont go out of my way to meet the performers.for the record arcade fire shows are fucking awesome

Posted by mmmmm | December 3, 2010 9:29 AM

Oh good, the creepy Arcade Dire guy is here to spam up another comments section with that Wayne Coyne quote.

Wayne Coyne, by the way, has taken every opportunity he can get over the years to piss on every band he's not in. I don't know why people suddenly forget this every time he takes a potshot at somebody else. I like the guys live shows - I guess at this point, you could say "show", since it's been basically the same one over and over for the last few years - but every time he opens his mouth I like him less.

He's not some cuddly uncle; he's a cranky old hippy with a compulsive need to keep reminding us of how awesome he is by shooting everybody else down.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 9:42 AM

It's true - I don't like arcade fire but Wayne is a douche. I don't need a guy who's famous for walking around in a giant hamster ball telling me why he's 'disapointed with radiohead.'

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 10:48 AM

Arcade D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-IRE.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:14 PM

"People Wayne Coyne has slammed:

Arcade Fire
Beck
Bob Dylan
Richard Ashcroft

Am I missing anyone"

Sounds like he has good taste then.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:23 PM

Let me check.......

Yep: I STILL LOATHE THE ARCADE DIRE!

Posted by Creepy Arcade Dire Guy | December 3, 2010 1:16 PM

you seemingly care more about the arcade fire than their own fans

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 1:22 PM

Win Butler has a face you'd love to punch.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 4:16 PM

"you seemingly care more about the arcade fire than their own fans."

That's because their own fans are shallow generic hipster turds.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 4:31 PM

Honestly though.

Album is mediocre.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 4:46 PM

your mom is mediocre.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 4:56 PM

10:48 - Jesus Christ, he's "disappointed with Radiohead"?

Okay, I'm not even that crazy about Radiohead, but fuck that guy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 5:07 PM

Doesn't mean he's wrong about AF -- he isn't. Everyone knows Win is a jerk.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 5:11 PM

Win's a bit uh... Audio Visual Club sometimes, but he's not a jerk. People just assume he is, because he looks like a jerk, but he's not a jerk.

I guarantee you, if he was shorter and only played a synth, people would get him a lot better than they do. He's a really nice dude who quite tragically happens to look like a recreational taxidermist.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 5:29 PM

Actually, make that "ONLY played guitar".

Everybody hates synth guys.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 5:31 PM

Sorry, Win is an egotistical jerk.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 5:36 PM

it's always the same here in indie-land, when a band is only known to you and your mate and the bartender at some sleazy club, they are usually the second coming of christ and a new flavour of coke all rolled into one. when they get big enough to be noticed by the mainstream, then somehow, they just have to be crap/bland/selling out. mmmm

Posted by nbtmusic | December 9, 2010 9:44 AM

EVERYONE SEEMS TO CONVENIENTLY FORGET ABOUT WAYNES "APOLOGY"

I like the Lips but that's a Dbag move you must admit

Posted by mrobita23 | December 10, 2010 6:27 PM

Coyne later retracted his apology.

Posted by Anonymous | December 10, 2010 6:38 PM

He needs to pick a side. I never saw that, where was it?

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2010 1:28 AM

Hello everyone my name is Richard Weare and I live in Calgary, Alberta in Canada and I am not that smart in the first place as basically I am considered a major league idiot. I can't even remember when somebody tells me the location of a local business but that definitely proves what a moron and complete dummy that I am but I will never get any smarter as my IQ is only 75.

Posted by Richard Weare | January 21, 2011 11:32 PM

Hi
Arcade Fire I really love.
If someone else doesn't like it, that's fine

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2011 5:49 PM