Posted in music | pictures on December 7, 2010

photos by Samantha Marble, words by BBG

Kirk Windstein of Crowbar
Crowbar

I'm no expert on non-alcoholic beer. So when I see Kirk Windstein of Crowbar (who recently left alcohol rehab) hit the stage with a half-dozen bottles of suds, the mind gets curious. Fortunately, Clausthaler is definitely N/A.

"Let me get some more of that fake shit," Windstein says between songs, gulping it down.

Not to be the fun police or anything, but we need that bear guitar tone around for a while. And we definitely needed it Sunday night at Santos Party House, but it wasn't there, though not for any alcohol-related reasons, but more on that in a second.

Opening acts A Life Once Lost and Primitive Weapons started the show, but I missed them. I arrived in time for a rendez-vous with Black Tusk for the umpteenth time this year. The hard-touring band gave it their all on stage (per usual) but there's no fighting city hall or, to be more precise, a soundman more interested in his laptop. Black Tusk sounds this tinny? Unequivocally, no. The atrocious sound continued on to Crowbar's set, who followed the Savannah trio.

New Orleans juggernauts Crowbar have always had one foot in Sabbath-ian territory, but with sandpaper-y vocals that recall hardcore. As such, NYHC pit bosses were in full effect at the venue, and the mosh pit spiked in intensity for songs like "High Rate Extinction" and the encore of "All I Had (I Gave)". It calmed for tracks from Sever The Wicked Hand, the band's new and six-years-in-the-making effort on E1 due in February 2011, though the new songs seem to have the same gruff melodicism and signature Windstein riff badass-ery; they sound promising.

But they didn't sound good! Despite a killer and exacting set from Kirk & crew, Crowbar was a victim of the tinny sound at the venue. Their trademark low-end thump was noticeably absent from the PA. I eventually moved directly in front of the stage to get more from the backline of "Dime" amps (yes, as in Dimebag Darrell of Pantera), which helped immensely.

With a set heavy on favorites, Crowbar delivered despite the noticable obstacles. Crowbar also filmed a video for "The Cemetary Angels" from the new LP while in NYC. Look for that soon. More pictures from the show below...

Crowbar

Looked kinda fun. Did I miss much?

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 10:20 AM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 10:25 AM

show was fucking great...i thought the sound was pretty good...santos is not the best venue in the city but also not the worst... what bummed me out was the 50 minute set...

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 11:03 AM

Yeah, I thought about going to this, even though I wasn't too familiar w/ Crowbar that much. By the time I was ready to make the ride over there, it was too late. Oh well.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 11:25 AM

Looks like Billy Joel's long lost brother who has been in an Insane asylum for 20 years

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 11:51 AM

Hey, dude, you might wanna hit the gym a few times a week.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 12:26 PM

Its really a shame your writer didn't put in the effort to get there in time to catch all the bands. Not only did she miss A Life Once Lost and Primitive Weapons but she also missed This Town Is Poison, from Jacksonville, NC, the first band to play. Yeah I'd never heard of them either but they played their asses off to a pretty empty room and deserve a mention. Also a shame she missed Primitive Weapons. Even tho the singer's voice drives me batty, I feel like there's so few local/emerging metal bands that blogs like this should really support them. You don't have to love them just make the effort to show up...

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 1:44 PM

it's a shame you keep referring to BBG as "she"

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 1:52 PM

Hey 1:44, ever been late to a show before? It happens.

Plus if there has ever been someone who supports local bands and the local scene, its him.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 1:57 PM

this town is poison.
more like this this town was 12 years late playing poison the well.

this show ruled.
some shit came up and sam didnt make it.
sucks, but such is life.
aliveoncelost and primitive weapons were fucking great.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 2:04 PM

To be honest, there aren't many shows these days that I show up early to to catch the other bands.

Most of the time, arriving late is preferable.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 2:29 PM

ALOL = A LOL

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 3:41 PM

This Town Is Poison were deathcore garbage. How the fuck did they they get on that show?

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 2:18 AM

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 2:26 AM

This Band is Poison.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 11:02 AM

"Too much testosterone. And the metal "hardcore" guys think a pit is a boxing match\football game."

-Waaaahhh

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 1:25 PM

I expected the pit and the knuckleheads but what I didn't expect to see was a dude hit a girl in the face between sets. Best part was that Sam may have been late but she was the first one to step up to him and his buddy and knock their hats off their heads. That was hilarious.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 2:26 PM

Glad the bad sound was pointed out, sad how i'm used to knowing how bad it'll be when I go to Santos. Black Tusk were great but you could tell how pissed off they were about it, at least they made a new fan out of me. Crowbar was great too but starting late on a Sunday, short set and bad sound, I haaaaaate going to Santos.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2010 1:34 AM