Posted in music | tour dates on December 27, 2010

Disco Biscuits

A MESSAGE FROM JAM BAND THE DISCO BISCUITS:

Happy Holidays -
2010 has been a great year, but it has not been without its challenges. And no matter what gets dealt to us at this point, we know that we are going to get through it, in no small part due to the support our fans have shown us. Throughout the year, we have been forced to respond to adversity with calm and strength. We always try to take lemons and make lemonade. In the process, we have made new friends, and found out how much we are capable of during times of duress.

Well if we hadn't been through enough, last night we received a call from Allen's father. Yesterday, Allen suffered a serious asthma attack and was hospitalized. He will be fine, but unfortunately will not be released from the hospital until Tuesday. Fortunately, his doctors have cleared him to play [Philly] on December 30 and 31. Our thoughts are with Allen and his family.

For [the NYC shows at Terminal 5 on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday], we are putting together an amazing line-up with drummers that we have played with in other projects throughout the years. We are blessed to have such a strong network of amazing drummers to call on. Check it out:
[Monday], we are honored to welcome Mike Greenfield from Lotus. This will be the fourth time Mike plays a show with us, and they are always classic sets.

On Tuesday, we'll be joined by two of the hottest drummers in North America. We are proud to welcome Adam Deitch from Break Science and Pretty Lights. As well we are excited to be joined by Darren Shearer from the New Deal. On Wednesday we are being joined by our old friend, Dr. Sam Altman.

We're not sure what else to really say, other than to keep Allen in your thoughts and prayers and we promise to deliver you wonderful, well thought-out shows while we are waiting for our brother to get back up here and join us for the new year.

That makes special drummers and special openers at each of the Terminal 5 shows this week. As previosuly mentioned, Raekwon is opening up the 12/27 show. DFA artist Holy Ghost! is opening on 12/28 and Crystal Method opens on 12/29. Tickets are still on sale for all shows. Get well soon Allen.

Disco Hummus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 2:20 PM

barf.

Posted by doug | December 27, 2010 2:48 PM

One of the worst bands making music today.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 2:53 PM

LOLZ!!!! NITROUS MAFIA GONNA BASH YOUR HEADS IN!

i kid. i dont get the hate for this band though...

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 3:19 PM

I do.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 3:31 PM

Wow... never thought I'd see this annoucement posted here, but props to BV. Get well soon allen!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 3:32 PM

Jam bands are lame enough, but Disco Biscuits is pretty much the lamest of them all.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 3:38 PM

how do people listen to this?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 3:52 PM

Never heard this band, I've seen their fans and that is all I need to know.

HOWEVER- Raekwon and the Crystal Method are opening??????

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 4:12 PM

Get well allen. Welcome back Sammy. Thanks for posting this BV

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 4:28 PM

What are you clowns talking about?? They Missed the Perfume is one of the best albums of ALL TIME!!!

I saw DB at Roseland a few years ago and they SLAYED!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 6:01 PM

seriously, worst band ever. worse than Dave Matthews

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 8:46 PM

lots of snow = lots of coke

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 9:00 PM

nitrous mafia will be busy nye. phish@msg and bisco@philly.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 9:02 PM

worst band ever. not worthy of coverage here or anywhere.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 9:57 PM

DEITCH ROOLZ! YEAH!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2010 10:19 PM

Hehehe
I can not wait for the new year.. 2010 is a boring year for me actually because there is no exciting news about music. :D

2011 is a head. Can not wait for it...

Are u ready?

Posted by Kompetisi WEB Kompas MuDA & AQUA | December 28, 2010 2:07 AM

Wow, that´s a very nice picture in the text!

Like that.

Posted by iPhone 5 | December 28, 2010 5:43 AM

stick it n00bs- bisco melts face and are some of the most talented musicians around-FACT

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 9:20 AM

what happened to this site?

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 11:36 AM

YEAH...SHOULDN'T YOU GUYS BE POSTING A LOT TODAY WITH BEING SNOWED_IN and ALL?

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 11:59 AM

11:36: I'd like to know too.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 12:51 PM

And...who cares? I had to actually sit through an entire concert of theirs once. Easily the worst show I've ever been to. 2 sets...which is 2 45 minute jams. I should have said "kill me now." Not to mention, apparently they travel with thugs who beat the shit out of people over not buying drugs from them. Very interesting scene to say the least.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 1:32 PM

1:32: Are you serious with that statement? They travel with thugs that beat people up over not buying from them? Wow. You are retarded.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 2:06 PM

I'm seeing phish on thursday and do not want to see any coverage of the concert here.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 2:59 PM

1:32 KYS, that might be the most re-re sentence ever put on BV. Maybe your confused about the nitrous mafia???? If so , your even more retarted

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 3:02 PM

wanksville, vamp boredom, bla bla blisco...this band is terrible. if it wasn't for hard drugs, no one would attend these shows.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 4:15 PM

"bisco melts face and are some of the most talented musicians around-FACT"

i was going to make fun of the idiot who wrote this but i actually feel bad for someone this ignorant.

dude- what else have you listened to that led you to the pathetic conclusion that Bisco is some of the most talented musicians around?

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 4:19 PM

They are talented, and it's too easy to criticize them if you haven't seen them live when they are foremost a live band. It's not everyone's cup of tea but it's great dance-trance music. Obviously caters to a specific crowd, it's really a concert you go and either rage the fuck out or just stand there waiting for the set to end.

Stop being so damn conceited with comments like "this shouldn't be on BV." Get over it, people have different taste than you. If you don't like it scroll on. Douchebags.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2010 5:57 PM

ANON 4:19-Funny stuff brah-i guess a group that manipulates sound on visual cues from band members and never repeats the same progressions...ever- isn't talented. Reminds me of another band that has a similar practice-Phish or maybe the Dead?, but from your comment you dont listen to them either. So I guess one of the most successful live acts ever to tour prolly doesnt hold its own. Dont confuse taste with talent you doosh and stick to hiphop or whatever indie cokk rock sh*t you are into. Oh and to answer your question-everything except country and modern hiphop-difference between people like you and I are that i can recognize a "good" or talented band when i see one and you...well your just another BV toolbox who probably thinks vampire weekend or sleigh bells are the modern era ZEP. Stik it assclown

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 7:52 AM

ANON 7:52- you're very quick to judge...incorrectly. You sound like a real fanboy tool casting broad generalizations about genres and bands simply because someone has something to say about Bisco.
I used to follow Phish, got into them in '94 when I was in 8th grade. I've seen them over 55 times. What about you, "brah"?
I've given Bisco a solid chance, seen them three times (at two festivals and once with Umphrey's in Brooklyn) and have listened to a bunch of recordings that people have given me. "Never repeats the same progressions"? That's bullshit. And it doesn't really matter because that's not necessarily a good thing on its own anyway. I can slap your face differently a hundred times and all the sounds may be different but they're all uninteresting sounds so big fucking deal.
Bisco shows are based mostly on improvisation, I get it. Like I said, I was huge into Phish and I listen to a variety of music, some of which is jazz. The main difference is Phish could actually keep it interesting (most of the time, that is) because they're not only skilled players, but they produce original ideas. Truth is- they're not the best players in the world either...they're leaps and bounds better than Bisco though so what does that say about Bisco? You ever listen to serious jazz music? Most of it is also based on improvisation. There are more talented musicians playing to crowds of only 300 or less people every week in NYC. Bisco is a handful of mediocre players vamping on elementary crap throughout most of the set. The parts that are written and do contain arranged ideas are either dull and tedious or too contrived and cheeseball. It's not that hard to "manipulate sound on visual cues from band members" (said like someone that doesn't know anything about improvisational music) when the final product isn't all that special. Do you create any music? Have you ever jammed with someone?
There's no doubt that a big percentage of the attendees are on drugs like ecstacy, acid, shrooms, molly, whatever (and I have nothing against drugs alone, I've done all of these in my time and don't put anyone down for enjoying) and Bisco makes a decent set to dance along to on them...but that's not hard to do when the drugs are involved. If you're not on the drugs, it's a boring hacksville of an experience and if you're sober and disagree, then you're easily impressed and should really expand your musical horizons and educate yourself.
I do listen to a lot of indie rock, but there's good and bad music in most genres. Trey Anastasio has said many times that one of his favorite bands is Pavement...you ever heard of them? I do not like Vampire Weekend and I strongly dislike Sleigh Bells. Based on your post, you sound like someone that listens to a pretty limited variety of mostly jambands...and you're obviously not a musician or if you are, you're not good.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 9:55 AM

The music is great the vocals suck hard!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 9:57 AM

ANON 9:55-pretty impressive rant. My first phish show was in 92, have seen them round 70-80 times since then. Saw the entire pavement run this summer-not my favorite but i enjoy most live music. Have jammed with gordon at his record release party and brownie at my boys bar in philly. Jazz-while im impressed by it...isnt my bag. So i guess what im trying to say is you must be right. Bisco goes on tour and plays with numerous musicians and pull together sometime epic pieces of music. I will say that some of their shows have been terrible but thats usually cause the band is spun out at the time. So Russo of BP must suck and tracorbeam blows, perfume isnt impressive at all and they havnt created a genre of music all their own....ur right. And as of listening to mostly jambands-ur a little bit off. This past month or so alone ive seen from waters, ozzy, prince and the crowes to foals bear hands tame impala and local natives. Throw in the hardcore shows in between and its been a good month. Ill be at T5 tonight sober so ill let u know how that goes for me...and dont lie, u love sleigh bells

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 10:49 AM

oh and i will agree-vocals are fukken atrocius

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 10:50 AM

ANON 10:49- once again, you're ignorantly jumping to conclusions. I never said anything about Russo, tracorbeam, or perfume.
You enjoy "most live music"? Wow, it must be liberating to have such low standards that you'll go to any show even if you don't enjoy their music...seems kind of absurd but I applaud you in a way.
Let's be friends...I'll bring the Adrenochrome.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 11:03 AM

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 11:07 AM

hey dude at 10:49,
you went to the whole pavement run but its as you say 'not your favorite'? whats stoppin you from goin to a vampire weekend show?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 11:07 AM

ANON 11:07-simple...cause i think they are awful. And no, pavements not my favorite but they put on a hell of a show and change it up every night.
ANON 11:03-your out of your element and thats cool but dont say a band isn't talented when u dont know what your talkin about. Tractorbeam and perfume are the same 4 guys as TDB, Russo from brothers past plays with them in Electron. And sorry-Most "genres" of live music assuming they are talented-sorry i had to clear that up but thought u might logically jump to that conclusion. Dont need anymore adrenochrome but always up for some ether if your holden caulfield

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 11:27 AM

these guys are debating whether the disco biscuits suck or not. i think they're ok but then again, im on acid most of my life.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:22 PM

Two posts up with the holden caulfield-
shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:25 PM

^^why u holden? holden caulfield?? Are you in a dave matthews cover..cover band?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:31 PM

I go see bisco because there are some really great hackey sack players there.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 4:19 PM

bands are lame enough, but Disco Biscuits is pretty much the lamest of them all

Posted by Massagem Terapêtica | December 30, 2010 12:14 PM