Posted in music | pictures on December 5, 2010

photos by Greg Cristman

"still pumped from seeing KILLING JOKE at Irving Plaza last night. They played a ton of old stuff, and the new jams were just as good!" - John

"Killing Joke @ Irving Plaza. They have lost nothing over time" - Ann Wagner Hall

Killing Joke

Invisible Oranges: The new album is called Absolute Dissent. In a world where about two percent of the population controls half of the wealth and thus the power associated with it, is real dissent even possible?

Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke: I think so, and I think it comes down to education in the end. We invariably create elites when only about one percent of the population understands the complex issues of the day. Look at the American electorate with the tea baggers and [Sarah] Palin. When it comes to foreign policy, many of these people aren't very informed. I believe in personal politics. I don't really participate in actual politics. Civil liberties are very dear to me, something we must not relinquish. That's the responsibility of every citizen, to ensure that civil liberties are maintained in a free and democratic system. Basically, what I'm trying to say is we are shaping the future. We all have to participate in finding solutions.

Killing Joke was supposed to kick off their US tour on 12/2 at The Black Cat in DC, but due to visa issues, ended up playing their first show in NYC at Irving Plaza the next night (Friday, 12/3). The now-twelve date jaunt (was thirteen) is to show off their colossal new and reccommended LP Absolute Dissent (discussed above).

Greg Cristman, who goes to a lot of shows, described this one as one of the best twenty-five he's ever seen, and definitely the best of 2010. It was insanely loud but sounded great. "Jaz went off on this rant about the condition of the world and the rip offs and pollution and shit chemical companies with his magnificently scorched vocals. It was a truly an epic moment- fucking Godhead! Coleman was in full makeup and looked insane. Like Al Pacino in Scarface possessed by vampires. The crowd was really into and most everyone was dancing wildly. The set was about an hour and a half."

The full Killing Joke setlist with more pictures from the show (Android Lust opened), below...

Android Lust

Dec. 11 - Empty Bottle - Chicago, IL
Dec. 14 - The Venue - Vancouver, BC
Dec. 15 - Showbox - Seattle, WA
Dec. 16 - Wonder Ballroom - Portland, OR
Dec. 17 - Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, CA
Dec. 18 - Wiltern - Los Angeles, CA

Oh, yeah - it was fucking brilliant. But one show was simply not enough...

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 8:00 PM

^Totally agree! A truly fabulous performance!

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 8:12 PM

"Change" was the first encore, actually.

Magnificent show -- truly legendary.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 8:22 PM

Change was a surprise bonus added by the band after the setlist was printed.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 8:28 PM

A curious set list - the band has been so strong since 1990's "Extremities...," that it's a shame the last five albums get such short shrift. I mean, they're great and all, but 7 out of 9 songs from the debut album (including, uh, "Tom's World")? Didn't the last tour take care of that?

From where I was standing, things started out relatively subdued, but surprisingly, the crowd really came alive for the (alleged) new single, "European Super State," which was nice to see. Speaking of the new album, it was well-represented with a whopping six songs, but unfortunately, the best song on the album, "Endgame," didn't make the cut. Drag...it may have had something to do with the lyric concerning WTC 7 - although Coleman really isn't the type to shy away from controversy.

Geordie could have been louder in the mix, but otherwise the sound was great.

The crowd was nicely mixed and non-assholistic, the merch was brilliant (why the hell someone would plop down $25 for yet another black concert t-shirt, when you could pickup an original canvas by Youth for the same price, is beyond me), and a grand time was had by all.

The band's rumored to be working on yet another album in early 2011, so hopefully we won't have to wait long to see them again.

Absolutely top-notch - once again, a bunch of 50-somethings show the kids how to do it.

Posted by Royce Farrell | December 5, 2010 8:39 PM

no one sees more shows than i do
and although i totally agree that
this one was a great great one,
i'd call it an hypnotic show,
there's no way it was the show of the year.
i'd give that title to jonsi, like it or not!
i don't know who Greg Cristman is but if you call this one a top 25 of your life you must be very very very young...
last thing, insanely loud ?
i don't think so. have you been to grinderman last month...?
but again, don't get me wrong, fantastic 95 minutes from start to finish!
great crowd too, looks like the new hipster cycle had finally abandoned the 80s all together, good riddance.

Posted by me | December 5, 2010 8:56 PM

^ killing hummus

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 9:00 PM

^ Good. DEATH TO HUMMUS!

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 9:14 PM

^hummus joke

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 9:15 PM

@8:56 hypnotic isn't really the right word. hard to be hypnotised when you're banging to monster grooves like those. a killer show and one of my faves of the year too-just personal taste.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 10:17 PM

The best thing was that ageing NYC hipster MOBY was standing beside me with his elf-like hipster GF, and they were so freaked by Jaz and company that they left after "Wardance," giggling derisively like the silly little dweebs they are.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 10:30 PM

You know a band is confident when they can do one of their biggest songs, "Love Like Blood," second. "European Super State," "Ghosts of Ladbroke Grove," and "The Great Cull" from the new one were all stellar. Why wasn't the new KJ album on ANY of the best of 2010 lists???

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 10:33 PM

"i'd give that title to jonsi, like it or not!"

Not.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 10:45 PM

Android Lust was terrible. That is what happens when hot topic employees who like Pretty Hate Machine get together to form a band.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 10:45 PM

^lol

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 10:55 PM

have you all drank the koolaid? are you really pretending that killing joke is a fraction of what they used to be? i remember what it used to be like: Coleman wailing like a madman, and Walker mutilating his instrument with pure, raw, naked power. Those days are sadly over. I wish it weren't the case. I wish these notting hill legends had some fuel left in the tank. but the arrow is pointing at empty.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 11:06 PM

who cares about this. I want photos/video/info from the Jeff Mangum show last night.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 11:18 PM

it really wasn't their best show, i don't know why people keep swearing up and down that it was brilliant. I've seen them many times and this was a sub-par performance. Most of the new songs were muddy and under-rehearsed, the rest of the set contained mostly songs that have been played at every gig since the mid-eighties (including Eighties, a song they really should lay to rest). They screwed up a lot of lyrics (how does Youth not know Pssyche after all these fricken years?) and Tomorrow's World was/is a horrible opening song. The show had nowhere near the energy that the last two shows at Irving Plaza. Either people haven't seen them enough to spot a poor performance or they think the band can do no wrong. Hate to burst your bubble, but KJ can do much better than they did Friday night. Here's hoping they work the kinks out by the time they hit Chicago.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 11:21 PM

I agree. I have seen them play Requiem, Change, The Wait, Love Like Blood, Eighties, Wardance and Pandemonium at every show I have been to. It was nice to see Fall of Because and Madness again and you are right about Tom. World being too slow. Also, I don't really think Bloodsport is a good live song. I did like the stuff from the new album but I also noticed he didn't know the words and just kept singing the same verse over and over on The Great Cull and European Super State, but I thought they still sounded good. I would have loved to hear them play The Raven King, Endgame, and HCtSingularity. And I didn't like This World Hell much. I think the energy was still good like the last 2 NY shows. I guess it depended where you stood. Someone kept farting though and it was nasty. And there was a little blond troll girl who kept pushing back and fourth through the crowd over and over and it was distracting.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 11:31 PM

Why so serious?

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 11:41 PM

i saw kj in 1980 or was it '81. now i live in my parents basement.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 11:43 PM

It's Tom's World, and he likes it that way! I wonder if the writer knows they just abbreviated the title because every other song is spelled out fully like European Super State and Ghosts of Ladboke Grove, but they left Tom's World.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 11:48 PM

The Killing Joke pics are fantastic. They especially capture Jaz well. Despite the years, the pics show a man still totally possessed by his music.

Posted by Ray Fury | December 6, 2010 2:06 AM

Talk,talk no action! This is our bane in Nigeria,for the rich who are sending there children abroad for good schools because they have collectively destroyed our universities,this is just the beginning.

Posted by coast dresses | December 6, 2010 3:42 AM

Never mind the jaded Noo Yawk dickheads, it was a GREAT show.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 8:32 AM

This was my first time seeing KJ--finally--and I was absolutely thrilled. I had a great time. However, I was disappointed that Youth kept playing wrong notes consistently and could not keep the rhythm with Paul's flawless drumming. He really needs to practice.

Android Lust was abysmally shallow and insipid.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 8:56 AM

Though I've been a fan since '81, this is the first time I've seen Killing Joke as well. But come on, it was a great show, though I would have appreciated Follow the Leaders and Tension. I thought Tom's World was a PERFECT opening song btw. And I didn't think Andriod Lust was bad, though if they'd kept going it would've gotten old fast.

Posted by Jason | December 6, 2010 9:12 AM

@ 11:05
are you the same clown who was posting the same "i'm so old school" rants regarding neubauten last week? give me a break...

Posted by gnarlk | December 6, 2010 9:56 AM

faboulous

Posted by Remi Online | December 6, 2010 10:23 AM

Shit, guys, shit. 'nirvana ripped us off' yeah, okay.

Nice to see the joker finding work again, though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 10:27 AM

fucking incredible show!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:31 AM

Paul Ferguson is one of the great drummers: he was amazing!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:56 AM

Great photos, especially of Jaz. His facial expressions are awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 5:33 PM

Amazing show. I got to interview Jaz in their dressing room. Here's the videos http://scenestir.net/killingjoke/

Posted by Bruce | December 6, 2010 6:31 PM

I agree with the naysayers. It really wasn't their best show. Sorry. It has nothing to do with being a New Yawker, it has to do with being a fan. Killing Joke are an excellent band, so when they do not rise to that level, it is fair to call them on it. People who say the show was awesome obviously have low standards and don't mind seeing songs done over and over. Disagree about Tomorrow's World being a bad opening song because I think it built nicely, but it was a slow song, like Communion. I don't think I have ever seen them open with something really fast. Wardance was the best opening song though. Big Paul is the greatest drummer Killing Joke ever had and the other person was 100% correct: Yoof just couldn't keep pace and it did distract from the songs. I think, if you were there to dance, you had a great time, but if you were there to watch, you had to notice the early choruses and botched lyrics and Yoof's constant fumbles, so the truth is it was not a great show, but still damn good.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 10:57 PM

Oh yeah, me again. Raven is definately missed. Youth is not nearly as good and he looks like a doofus with the sun visor. He always sings off key too. RIP PVR.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:01 PM

I wasn't going to say anything about the sun visor, because it has nothing to do with the music, but now that the topic's been broached... what the hell is he thinking?? lol

Yeah, Wolverhamptoners make better bassists.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 9:32 AM

I don't miss Raven at all. He was always a stand-in non-entity as a bassist and his "tough-guy" onstage persona always made me cringe (though by all accounts he was a hell of a guy, personally). Youth -- stupid visor notwithstanding -- is an infinitely better player and a fantastic producer.

Posted by Lemmy | December 7, 2010 10:52 AM

No "Pandies Are Coming"?

Posted by Richard Bacchus | December 7, 2010 11:45 AM

Great...trashing the original bassist, and fashion tips from hipsters.

The damn visor thing's been going on for 30 years - get used to it:

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 12:24 PM

"And there was a little blond troll girl who kept pushing back and fourth through the crowd.....". This much was true:) There were a few songs I could have done without in favor of some others; "Money Is Not Our God" would have been great.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 1:52 PM

Why was the DC show cancelled? Hope they make it back before they all hang up their spurs. Bummer.

Posted by William | December 7, 2010 3:04 PM

Cancelled due to visa issues.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 3:43 PM

"Someone kept farting though and it was nasty."

It was Win Butler.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 3:44 PM

@Richard - no Revelations at all. I realize there are a lot of albums they don't or hardly ever touch, but I was hoping after the last bunch of shows in 2008, they'd continue playing songs like The Hum and Empire Song. And someone else mentioned MINOG, which they also played last tour. Maybe the Chicago show might get some of those gems, but I do agree with a lot of people that the songs they did keep from the 2008 shows were the ones we've seen a gajillion times. If the band does read stuff like this, maybe they can consider that for the remaining shows. At this point in their career, most of the people going to their shows have been listening to them for years, and though it may be the first show for some, I'm betting a huge chunk of the audience has seen them before so they should balance the set more. I wonder, did anyone see them who hadn't heard AD? I'm just curious if hearing the new songs convinced anyone to buy the album at the show. I bought it there, but only because I didn't have the actual cd, but I had heard it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 10:48 PM

RE: Visor-- so what if he wore it way back when. Jaz used to have a 'stache and an afro, but he realized it looked stupid and stopped. Yoof looks like a turd with that dumb visor on. He looks like a Beach Boy and it looks foolish next to Jaz and his crazy make-up. Yoof's production skills were fine for dance songs, but now it sounds dated. He can't play well and he sings off key, if he even remembers to sing at all. I'd rather see a session player up there. Especially with Big Paul being so amazing, you need someone who can keep time. It is the rhythm section after all. You should be able to play a steady rhythm.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 10:55 PM

^ Why don't you write Jaz, Geordie, and Paul - I'm sure they'll take action upon hearing of your concerns. Then, post a link on here to a photo of yourself, so we can all bask in the glory of your immaculate style and glorious personal appearance, you fucking tool.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 3:34 AM

"[DC show] canceled due to visa issues."

Assuming that's the case and they were delayed by 1 day (they did make the NY show as scheduled the following day), where's any word of a rescheduled DC show? Last time they were here Jaz was ill with flu and they had a pretty rubbish show.

Posted by Booper | December 8, 2010 6:33 AM

Having gone to the two shows at Irving in 2008, I am glad they split the time eras so they had the opportunity to air their late period 90's material - the stuff I prefer. This recent show, other than the new album, passed most of the 90s over.

Here is a live track from one of those 2008 shows and it sounds massive.

Posted by r.oobo bot | December 8, 2010 9:05 AM

For those who haven't seen Killing Joke just absolutely annihilate, this a great example in my opinion:

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 12:01 PM

To all of you sh*theads badmouthing Android Lust, do a little research first before opening your disgusting mouths. Android Lust is not a band, it's a one-woman power house in Industrial music, the original one-woman industrial act! And her music is uniquely diverse and creative! And regarding Killing Joke, well I could sit here and talk all kinds of sh*t but i wont because I don't really know the band. I didnt know about them til I found out Android Lust was opening for them and I listened to a few songs by them and I just dont care to listen to more, not my cup of tea. Ill stick to Android Lust.

Posted by AndroidLust4ever | December 9, 2010 9:33 PM

Wow, I thought Android Lust weren't bad at all (if a little derivative). A more dynamic stage presence from Shikhee would have gone a long way.

9:33, however, needs to educate him/herself, before he/she makes an even bigger fool of him/herself.

Posted by Anonymous | December 10, 2010 4:10 AM

9:33, Are u in the band?????? C'mon, don't lie. Your statement tells me 1 of 2 things: Either your in Android Lust & have come to defend yourself, or that Hot Topic doesn't have any Killing Joke t-shirts on the shelf.

Posted by Anonymous | December 10, 2010 8:44 AM

first of all, i am not in the "band" as you call it. and one of the reasons why i love Anfroid Lust so much is because i am always amazed at how one woman alone can bring so much distruction into the industrial scene. and i dont think they have Android Lust shirts at hot topic, at least not where I live but im pretty sure ive seen your Killing Joke there. eitherway, if they do then its only good for the band, i wish Android Lust would get noticed more, she totally deserves the money for her work. i wish i had been at the show that night but im many miles away, but i also agree that it probably wasnt her best show this year given that she was the opening act and the people there probably were not very fond of her music in the first place since they were there to see a bunch of rediculous old men wearing joker make up. c'mon, that got old a long time ago. also, i really dont like the fact thet her live guitarist, James Light, was replaced by Mankind is Obsolete's guitarist, Scott. and he didnt even have much time to practice. Anyway, Im just happy I got to see Android Lust in LA this summer where she teared it up and was the highlight of the night!

Posted by 9:33 | December 11, 2010 2:39 AM

Killing Joke are THE BEST band today..

Posted by G | December 11, 2010 6:55 PM

Killing Joke are THE BEST band today..

Posted by G | December 11, 2010 6:55 PM

@9:33 well it's quite obvious that she's not doing THAT well as she keeps wearing the same outfit for every show.

Maybe you can buy her something? Support your one woman powerhouse!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2010 9:01 PM

lol well its not a bad thing, she sure does have some damn cool outfits! hell if i had those id wear them over and over too! plus i bet theyre not cheap! i wish she had wore the leather one in LA though but she wore a plain one with some japanese pink wrtiting on the back which was still cool. sometimes she goes topless though, with just the cool body paint done by Paul Komoda. anyway, you guys are really fun to talk to, im starting to like you guys hehe sorry for the mean things i said before.

Posted by 9:33 | December 14, 2010 12:44 AM

Android Lust has sucked forever, and they still suck now.

Posted by Me | December 17, 2010 11:38 PM

fuck you 11:38, and it's "she" not they. fuck you twice and your old men killing joke, they are a joke indeed.

Posted by 9:33 | December 25, 2010 11:38 PM

I find android lust (shikhee) is super creative, super energetic and an awesome example of someone who has actually done something (unlike some of these posters(poseurs) on these boards who get off on trashing people ANONYMOUSLY)

She's awesome!

Posted by vox illuminati | January 1, 2011 11:18 PM

Posted by lvbags | March 6, 2011 10:02 PM

SpongeBob so happy because the reason why big stars are willing to accompany him to send along with 2. In this world, always a lot of people look at you 2, very few people with you 2.

Posted by lvbags | March 13, 2011 7:20 AM

@Me
You know, Android Lust hasn't been forever perfect, but stil they are doing their best. And I respect them more than those you are so-called "pop-singers".

Posted by Android development | March 28, 2011 5:00 AM

Posted by rolexreplica | October 29, 2011 2:47 AM

Anthony, what solution is being recommended by the JavaFX team? "None, hold your breath while we figure it out," can't seriously be your answer, can it?

Posted by pariuri sportive | April 20, 2012 6:47 AM

The band looks really very nice.

Posted by Mobile Application Development | May 7, 2013 5:31 AM