Posted in hiphop | music | pictures | tour dates on December 20, 2010

Lauryn Hill

"[Last night's] show was advertised to start at 9:00. When we got there we heard rumblings about the show not starting until 10:30. I hoped this was just scuttlebutt, since it was a Sunday night. As it turned out, Ms. Hill did not grace us with her presence until 11:45. There was no explanation, and no opening act. I could see and feel the energy drain from the room as the wait got longer and longer. By 10:30 some people started going to the ticket window to try to get their money back (I don't know if they were successful). After two hours of standing around and waiting, her DJ came onstage and spun some tunes. Thirty minutes after that the band took the stage. I got the sense that even they did not know when (or if?) their bandleader would appear. They just stood there shuffling their feet for ten or fifteen minutes before Lauryn eventually showed up.

Ok, so finally we get to the music (consider this review as an allegory for the show itself). After all the drama, if she had actually come out and killed with her brilliance, all might have been forgiven. But alas, it was not to be. The band was a lesson in overkill: three guitarists, three keyboardists, three backup singers, bass, drums and DJ. The result? It was hard to hear much of anything. To make matters worse, the songs were sped up to the point of rendering them almost unrecognizable. It took me half the opening song to realize it was "Lost Ones". There was no groove; it was so fast you couldn't even dance to it. Needless to say we did not make it through the whole set." [The Big Takeover]

That review comes from Sunday night's disastrous-sounding Lauryn Hill show at Higher Ground in Vermont. It was the first show Lauryn played as part of her recent comeback tour that includes six sold out NYC shows, and now includes one on February 4th at Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ. It was also her chance to prove that she cared about paying fans. Oh well. A set of pictures, including one of the setlist, is in this post.

$65 tickets to the Wellmont show go on sale at 5PM Today. Tickets are also still on sale for the 12/22 show at Toad's Place in CT. She plays tonight, 12/20, in Boston. Updated dates and more Vermont pictures below...

LAURYN HILL - 2010-2011 TOUR DATES
Monday 20 December 2010 Wilbur Theatre Boston, MA, US
Wednesday 22 December 2010 Toad's Place New Haven, CT, US
Monday 27 December 2010 Highline Ballroom New York, NY, US
Tuesday 28 December 2010 Music Hall of Williamsburg Brooklyn, NY, US
Saturday 01 January 2011 The Bowery Ballroom New York, NY, US
Monday 03 January 2011 Blue Note Jazz Club New York, NY, US
Tuesday 04 January 2011 Blue Note Jazz Club New York, NY, US
Wednesday 05 January 2011 Blue Note Jazz Club New York, NY, US
Tuesday 18 January 2011 First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, US
Saturday 29 January 2011 House of Blues Atlantic City, NJ, US
Friday 04 Febuary 2011 Wellmont Theater Montclair, NJ, US

what she on?

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:29 PM

She will continue to think this is acceptable as long as people keep buying tickets. One would hope after another tour with this behavior, people will wise up.

Posted by Scott | December 20, 2010 3:30 PM

she was in Roots with the guy from Reading Rainbow and Darth Vader and Leslie Nielsen.

then MTV's Headbanger's Ball.

then Oprah.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:30 PM

The Axl Rose of being an a--hole!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:35 PM

why people keep paying to put up with this bullshit from a has-been is beyond me.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:39 PM

I saw her at a Pizza Hut once and asked her to sign a copy of The Score for me...needless to say, um, she didn't even know she was in that band.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:40 PM

is anyone suprised though

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:40 PM

When are you critics going to realize that Lauryn's fans don't care what you have to say about her. Her fans are still going to support her. People that were there to enjoy Lauryn loved this performance. I guess this review coming from someone that says, "Ray Davies show at the venue... was one of the best shows I have ever witnessed" should tell you a lot. How many times has it been reported that Lauryn does not perform HER songs in there original form. You critics kill me. Lauryn has a fan base that is going to support regardless of what you people think. Stay your a** at home.

Posted by truthis | December 20, 2010 3:41 PM

nah.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:44 PM

Lauryn Hill doesn't perform her songs as they are recorded, kinda like Bob Dylan. Oh wait, she's not like Dylan at all...she's a selfish POS hanging on to the frayed ends of a threadbare career!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:45 PM

didn't she collaborate with Clapton?

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:49 PM

I guess "Lauryn's fans" like it up the a**

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:53 PM

predictable

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:55 PM

haha if you buy tickets to this shitshow you are a fucking sucker. ugh. sounds fucking awful. and its 2010, who the fuck listens to lauryn hill nowadays? she hasnt been relevant since like 1996. cmon people, get yr shit together!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:56 PM

She is such a creep! Amazing that anyone would support that erratic, childish behavior!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:56 PM

@3:40 -Do you always carry around a copy of The Score with you or is just when you go to Pizza Hut? Weird.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:57 PM

Anybody have a setlist for the VT show? How long did she actually play?

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:58 PM

Third Eye Blind.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 3:59 PM

The reality is Lauryn is an amazing performer still. She has performed all over the world this past year. In the past, all people had to depend on was BS critics, but know thanks to youtube people can judge these performances for themselves. People like what they are seeing as evidenced by the sold out shows. Lauryn nor any of her representatives have been on TV or radio advertising any of these shows. People want to see Lauryn bottomline. She put on a hell of a show full of energy throughout. There is simply no one like her.

Posted by truthis | December 20, 2010 4:05 PM

Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do

I'm packed and I'm holding
I'm smiling, she's living, she's golden, she lives for me
She says she lives for me, Ovation, Her own motivation,
She comes round and she goes down on me,
And I make her smile, Like a drug for you,
Do ever what you want to do, Coming over you,
Keep on smilin', what we go through. One stop to the rhythm that divides you,
And I speak to you like the chorus to the verse,
Chop another line like a coda with a curse,
Come on like a freak show takes the stage.
We give them the games we play, she say,
I want something else,
to get me through this,
Semi-charmed kind of life, baby, baby
I want something else,
I'm not listenin when you say,
Goodbye?
Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do
The sky was gold, it was rose,
I was taking sips of it through my nose,
And I wish I could get back there, Some place back there,
Smiling in the pictures you would take,
Doing crystal myth will lift you up until you break,
It won't stop, I won't come down, I keep stock,
With a tick tock rhythm, I bump for the drop,
And then I bumped up. I took the hit that I was given,
Then I bumped again, And then I bumped again.
I said how do I get back there to,
The place where I fell asleep inside you?
How do I get myself back to,
The place where you said,
I want something else to get me through this,
Semi-charmed kind of life, baby, baby
I want something else,
I'm not listening when you say,
Good-bye,
I believe in the sand beneath my toes,
The beach gives a feeling,
An earthy feeling,
I believe in the faith that grows,
And the four right chords can make me cry,
When I'm with you I feel like I could die.
And that would be all right, All right,
And when the plane came in, She said she was crashing,
The velvet it rips, In the city
We tripped, On the urge to feel alive,
Now I'm struggling to survive,
Those days you were wearing, That velvet dress,
You're the priestess, I must confess,
Those little red panties, They pass the test,
Slide up around the belly, Face down on the mattress, One,
And you hold me, and we are broken.
Still it's all that I want to do, just a little now
Feel myself with head made of the ground,
I'm scared, I'm not coming down, no no
And I won't run for my life
She's got the jaws now locked down in smile but nothing is all right,
All right
And I want something else,
To get me through this,
Life, baby
I want something else,
I'm not listening when you say,
Good-bye, good-bye, good-bye, good-bye

Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do

This life was gold, it was rose
I was takin' sips of it through my nose
And I wish I could get back there, someplace
Back there, in the place we used to star? Aye aye aye aye
(Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do, Do do do, doot do doot do)
I want somethin' else

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:06 PM

Dood she lookin ruff dood!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:06 PM

DO NOT BUY TICKETS

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:08 PM

3:41: I would say the Ray Davies comment would indicate that the person liked good music. You DO know he is a musical legend, right?

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:11 PM

i sold her a container of hummus and some pita bread a couple of years ago.

Posted by ali b | December 20, 2010 4:12 PM

Hahaa, like I said, there are going to be many unhappy and unsatisfied concert-goers over the next several weeks. What a joke, though those of you jumping into this so blindly deserve to get cold tripe. How anyone thought that these shows would be anything less than a horrible disgrace is amazing to me.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:14 PM

The people of Vermont should have burned her at the stake. Higher ground, by the way, is a great venue!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:17 PM

I always get a larff at idiot fans who defend the actions of the assholes they worship. She's an unprofessional has-been engaging in a blatant cashgrab who clearly has zero respect for the people who paid their money to see her.

Posted by soysalami | December 20, 2010 4:22 PM

STOP BUYING THIS DUMB BITCH'S TICKETS. SEND HER BACK TO FUCKING JAMAICA WHERE BEING HOURS LATE AND NOT GIVING A SHIT IS ACCEPTABLE.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:30 PM

hahahahahah! yay!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:32 PM

Ridiculous people will still pay $75 for this shit. She obviously doesn't give a shit about her fans, it's funny that fans still give a shit about her.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 4:39 PM

@4:44 You racist only prove my point. Lauryn is not the only artist to come on late to perform, and most people that go see her know it. The music industry is full of f*ck-ups, but you racist never call for a boycott of their music. Hell you saw the industry stick Amy Winehouse in rehab to dry her out just to perform at the Grammy's. Her ass was still drunk when she hit the stage. Half of the sh*t reported about Lauryn is a lie and people reporting it know it. Her fans also know that Lauryn did not stop making music with the Mised CD. Lauryn has continued to make music over the years. You should probably take the time to discover some of it. You might enjoy it, and get out of your little box.

Posted by truthis | December 20, 2010 4:56 PM

"There is simply no one like her."

thank the baby jesus for THAT!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:01 PM

@4:56 O AN SHE SEXY

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:02 PM

@truthat - so, exactly how long have you been this has-been's publicist? how's that working out for you?

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:03 PM

@4:44

what's racist about any of that?

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:11 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:19 PM

@4:56

where Lauryn Hill got her start...

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:23 PM

10,000 dead black babies

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:38 PM

"Everyone, please understand that one day Sly Stone will be dead and Lauryn Hill will fill that particular void of used to be talented/went really crazy."

I like this....

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:40 PM

the difference here being that Sly Stone has talent and actually shows up for gigs on time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 5:50 PM

Uh, No he doesn't..

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 6:14 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 6:51 PM

post updated with pictures and the setlist.

Posted by brooklynvegan | December 20, 2010 6:52 PM

take those song lyrics and shove up your mother's cunt

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 6:57 PM

How the fuck could she be that late? What was she doing that was so much more important? Jesus Christ

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 7:17 PM

If you take a look at the update, she was 1:15(or 45min)late factoring in the 30 minute scheduled dj set. Thanks for the correction, the venue failed to communicate information properly it appears. Yes, she was late, but stop with these over exaggerations!

Posted by truthis | December 20, 2010 7:34 PM

that bitch needs to be punched in the face by me...STAT!

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 8:48 PM

@5:50- sly shows up on time for gigs?!?! hahahaha that's hilarious. you're kidding right? go do some more research before you open your mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 8:58 PM

exactly how long have you been this has-been's publicist?

Posted by Massagem Tântrica | December 20, 2010 8:58 PM

Said it last time, saying it again - Axl Rose is more deserving of your cash

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 9:01 PM

god, remember when she could hold her own with any MC out there? her flow was great. What a shame she gave it up to sing and now do nothing of merit. this thread has me loling hard at least. u dont go on at 11:45 on a sunday. have some goddamn respect u piece of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 9:35 PM

SUCKS FOR ALL YOU IDIOTS THAT BOUGHT TICKETS.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2010 11:24 PM

recent video of ex factor....has a much stronger voice than before.

proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IPd1cXR0Tc&feature=related

Posted by brian | December 20, 2010 11:29 PM

F Higher Ground and all of Burlington VT. What a bunch of pussy ass bitches. It's the only city I know that throws you out of their bars for being slightly intoxicated. A city full of trustfund kids pretending to be hippies is not a good combination.

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 1:38 AM

a lot of white people in vermont. she was just trolling!

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 2:08 AM

Burlington Coat Factory > Burlington, VT

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 9:19 AM

$7 a song..not to shabby!

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 9:54 AM

That is like $2 a minute...like calling a 1-900 number..

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 10:06 AM

you little people deserve to wait 2 hours for these exalted r&b artists. They are royalty, you are scum. Just buy your overpriced tickets and drinks and wait around for 2 hours like good little consumers.

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 10:48 AM

and the money was spent on a racist no less....

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 10:50 AM

I saw her in Boston. Only two hours late...but the music was terrible. this article is right on. Most disappointing show I've ever been to. However, she's not a racist: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lauryn.asp

Posted by Matt | December 21, 2010 4:55 PM

"... As it turned out, Ms. Hill did not grace us with her presence until 11:45."

Who does she think she is, Axl Rose?

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2010 5:40 PM

SHE PULLED THE SAME STUNT IN BROOKLYN A FEW YEARS BACK AS PART OF THE FREE CONCERTS IN WINTHROP PARK...

SHE WASN'T TOO LATE TO GO ON, BUT THE FOOTBALL FIELD CAPACITY CROWD TOTALLY EMPTIED OUT TWO SONGS IN...

SHE WAS LEFT WITH A QUARTER OF THE CROWD, AND ALL OF HER SONGS WERE WAY TOO FAST AND UNRECOGNIZABLE.

IT IS CLEAR SHE HAS A SUBSTANCE PROBLEM AND NEEDS REHAB.

FOR THE SAKE OF HER PAST ACHIEVEMENTS, I HOPE SHE REALIZES SHE NEEDS TO STEP BACK AND RE-ASSESS.

I DEF MISS THE OLD LAURYN.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2010 3:46 AM

If you don't like her, hang her...

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2010 6:12 AM

Sharon Jones is lookin' gooood these days

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2010 3:27 PM

I'd hit it, but I'm usually asleep by 11:45.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2010 7:21 PM

I bet Lauren Hill would show up on time to my dinner party. I made an amazing hummus platter... Shucks! I bet she would show up early!

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2010 8:42 PM

6:12 and 7:21: Agreed.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2010 9:17 PM

irrelevant washed up has-been. you deserve to lose time and money if you like this garbage

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 1:17 PM

niggas like hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 10:37 PM

what time did daft punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 3:15 AM