Posted in hiphop | music | pictures on December 29, 2010

photos by Natalia Moena

this1

Prince and Janelle Monae (both playing MSG tonight), were among those in attendance at Music Hall of Williamsburg last night (12/28), though it's not clear what time those notable attendees got there. If they got there at 9pm, they would have waited just over three hours for Lauryn Hill to take the stage while a DJ played to a restless crowd who braved the snow and paid $75 a ticket to be there. Realizing he was the enemy by that point, the keyboard player put a sign on his keyboard that said "I was on time." Lauryn later took it down after telling the audience she was sorry. She apparently knows what people say about her because she also explained that she reworks her songs to keep them fresh.

That all aside, Lauryn played a 14-song set. One friend in attendance said she sounded great, though another brought up the previously-mentioned issue of the band overpowering her. Lauryn continues her tour at Bowery Ballroom and then the Blue Note in January. She later returns to NYC and NJ for shows in Atlantic City (1/29), Highline Ballroom (2/1 due to being postponed), and Wellmont Theatre (2/4). Updated dates, and videos, more pictures and the setlist from last night's show, below...

this1

January 23 - Montreal, QC at Metropolis
January 29 - Atlantic City, NJ at House of Blues
February 1 - New York, NY at Highline Ballroom
February 4 - Montclair, NJ at The Wellmont Theatre
March 19 - Miami, FL at Jazz in the Gardens Festival
March 20 - Miami, FL at Jazz in the Gardens Festival

all of a sudden she's from Kenya?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:36 PM

Lauryn, you're no Axl Rose. Come on time bitch

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:39 PM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:40 PM

she does it because there's 500 enablers paying her to

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:41 PM

2:41- exactly. She knows she can show up that late because people will continue to pay to see her. Stop supporting her and maybe she'll learn to get her shit together. Showing up 3 hours after you're supposed to be there is inexcusable.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 2:48 PM

75 bucks??

Does Prince and Ms. Monae pay that price?

Posted by Freepster | December 29, 2010 2:57 PM

she may suck for being SO late EVERY time, but i would've loved to see those last 6 songs live

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:08 PM

melisma = soul, amirite?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:09 PM

Well it is clear from that last video clip that along with the ability to write a new song she has also lost her voice. Grunt, groan and try your vocal acrobatics all you want Miss Thing but you can't disguise the fact that your voice sounds like shit!

People will pay money for garbage these days it is unbelievable!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:14 PM

She doesn't even sound very good anymore. Sucks because Miseducation was a great album.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:26 PM

she has ALWAYS been overrated...yawn...let's move on.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:33 PM

Dood she looka ruff brah!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:35 PM

See Mavis instead...what Lauryn Hill should be if she was talented, good and on time!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:37 PM

Aaaaaaaand not a single comment from anyone that was actually there. I'm not a fan, but shit, let people enjoy what they want to.

No artist should be late without a damn good reason though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:41 PM

^agreed, but this is BV so any decent conversation about a gig is rare.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:45 PM

I was there. She sucked. Her voice is still OK, but the new arrangements have no soul.

Posted by Playtonic | December 29, 2010 3:50 PM

no soul?? lost her voice?? did any of you go to the show or even take a minute to watch the youtube videos posted above? damn

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:54 PM

Her new music ain't got the same soul as that old time rock n' roll?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 3:55 PM

I was there. If it had started on time it would have been a decent show but when her DJ came out to "warm us up" after 3 hours of waiting, I was done. Being able to afford her asinine prices means I also have a job I need to go to and can't be at a show until 2:00 in the morning. L-Boogie needs a lesson in professionalism.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 4:00 PM

I saw prince there. He was talking to some fellow about chickpeas.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 4:07 PM

diva's head was on a swivel gettin so pissed off with her band lol

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 4:23 PM

I was there. I remain a fan of her recorded music, but that show totally sucked. Her arrogance in showing up so late was not at all mitigated by a good performance (or even a sincere apology or explanation). I actually feel regret for going to that show--something I have never felt about ANY live music experience.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 4:47 PM

there will be many more disappointed concert-goers in the coming weeks. shame on all of you!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 4:59 PM

i saw lauryn and prince at brooklyn pita sharing a tub of hummus. they seemed close and enjoyed the moment.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 5:07 PM

she'll never top sister act II, back in the habit.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 5:08 PM

so i was there, she was late, people were booing before she got on for 30minutes. she came on - ppl clapped and then booed. it was so funny to see that and she looked stunned so bshe said that whoever wants to leave, can leave. THEN she apologized for being late!!

Anyways-
1. The new arrangments sucked. It felt as i was watching a jazz fusion concert. every song was super fast and the tracks lost the original feel/soul. Trust me im not just hating- i bought 3 tickets and love her EARLY stuff.

2. She needs to stop being so fn arrogant and write some new good songs instead of completely destroying the old ones.

3. ppl will be dissapointed as the tour progresses

4. Wyclef is the man!

Hahahahahahahahahaah.......

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 5:21 PM

What if fans just started showing up as late as her to the shows? There's certainly advance warning that Lauryn Hill's going to be late - why not show up late yourself? Artist continually starts 3 hours late? Then crowd should start showing up 3 hours late too.

(she'd probably just start six hours late if that happened...)

Awesome sign by the keyboardist - fans should start bringing those as well!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 5:47 PM

I too was there, though, I did leave shortly after her set started. Had she come out and showed some humility I would've reconsidered but instead she strolled out and got into it with someone in the front row who (rightfully) told her off. She was saying some crap about putting on an uncompromised show with integrity, blah, blah, blah. I guess that means showing up at midnight, treating her (dwindling) fans like dirt and destroying her songs (with horrible arrangements and her hoarse, winded voice). The show was supposedly sold out but when I left, 3 songs in, it was probably half-empty. She needs to drop the angry, Angela Davis, negress bullshit and remember that she's a platinum selling pop "star" from Jersey! (And, yes, Lauryn, you can be successful and still have integrity. Just take a stroll over to MSG tonight and ask your buddy Prince) ... To anyone who has a ticket or an upcoming show, do yourself a favor and try to get a refund. Unless you're into that witnessing-a-car-crash sort of thing. She sucks!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 7:06 PM

Isn't there pretty ample evidence that she's always pretty fucking late. It's like going to a GBV show and complaining that they were drinking.

Not that I haven't seen people complain about that!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 8:51 PM

Going to see Lauren hill play is like going to a hummus stand and finding out they use corn oil instead of olive oil... It's good for the moment, but you leave with a bad taste in your mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 8:56 PM

Yeah, read the first BV thread announcing these shows. Everybody was warned that she was going to be hours late and turning every song into a bullshit jam, but I guess some people need to experience it themselves to believe it. Well now you know, I guess.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 8:59 PM

14 songs...what a joke!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 9:14 PM

go back to raising your kid(s)

or buy a watch

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 9:33 PM

Lauren Hill is a HOT humMESS. Get it. Her 3 minutes were up 10 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2010 9:41 PM

These complainers need to shut up. You idiots do 2hr of internet research before paying 99 cents for Tetris on iTunes, you can't do a little digging to find out what you're in for when you shove your $75 down Ticketmaster's piehole?

I was there last night. I knew up front I was paying a ridiculous price for her brokedown ass to be late, throw shade, dress like a homeless shaman, play indecipherable junior high funk band remixes of her songs, etc. I paid and went anyway (and though it was sort of OK actually, like a halfway decent Freshman dorm party at a Big 10 school -- the Fugees stuff was almost fun) because of why anyone goes to see shows: to tell all my poor friends I was there, and later at a party meet some chick/dude and get laid based on the story. That is worth the $75 + fees right there. The End.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2010 12:44 AM

^ I partied at freshmen year dorm parties at the big 10...they ain't all that!

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2010 7:24 AM

Poor blue note jazz club.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2010 9:23 AM

Suckas.

Posted by Lauryn Hill | December 30, 2010 2:34 PM

I was at the concert, I,m actually in the picture. Now, I have to admit that I didnt realize some of the songs because she changed them, but you have to give it to her for adding something different. Lauryn has come a long way, I had a lot of fun coming out of the Bizzard, just to get out and do something. Drinks were cheap Lauryn not a bad deal to be in front row

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2010 8:32 PM

Horrible performance from a washed up angry singer,she's not worth the wait or the money.The selections and the way they were played were horrible not "fresh" and trust me as someone who's gone to hundreds of concerts that her renditions of songs are different every night cuz she's to damn lazy to rehearse with her own band.She actually believes that "you" her "fans" owe her for being on stage and that we should be glad she showed up at all....SHE YELLS AT HER BAND THE ENTIRE PERFORMANCE TOO !

Posted by lost one | December 31, 2010 10:47 AM

the crowd was trying to sing along with her and because of her weird rhythms they couldnt. it was awkward listening to the crowd try to predict when ms lauryn would say the next word. it happened during killing me softly especially.

Just sing the song the regular way so people can sing along.

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2010 11:46 AM

hahaha you suckers! $75 a ticket? You deserve to lose your hipster dollarshahahah

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2010 1:02 PM

Shit, I was wondering what happened to that throw rug.

Posted by Anonymous | January 1, 2011 7:57 PM

the hip hope Axl Rose. and if people stopped paying to see both these clowns, maybe they'd show their 'fans' some respect!

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2011 11:23 AM

I HAD tickets for Wednesday performance. Got a refund, while I appreciate her having respect for herself and thinking she is WORTH IT, she has none for her fans. Balance is required to give respect and to give it. Showing up late without a valid excuse is just disrespectful....

Posted by Mrs. Ke | January 5, 2011 4:48 PM

I've been to her show and it was great! You ppl have an idea of who Lauryn Hill is supposed to be and you fail to realize that she has grown. Take your reservations and shove them let her do her thing and if you don't want to see the show fine I'm sure she doesn't care.

Posted by Cherri | February 8, 2011 9:34 AM