Posted in music on December 9, 2010

The National

If there's a Hanukkah equivalent of the Grinch, they're probably relieved that last night, Wednesday, December 8th, was the final night of Hanukkah and the final night of Yo La Tengo Hanukkah shows. Those in attendance last night were treated to an opening set by a local band called The National and comedian Marc Maron. Frequent YLT collaborators Bruce Bennett (of the A-Bones) and Gil Divine were special guests during the encore, and Hamish Kilgour of the Clean sat in most of the night on guitar.

Here's the final tally:

12/1 - M. Ward, Todd Barry, Nash Kato
12/2 - The Parting Gifts, Jim Gaffigan, members of The Feelies
12/3 - Jeff Tweedy, Eugene Mirman & Kid Congo Powers
12/4 - Syl Johnson, Jon Glaser, Peter Wolf & Ira's mom
12/5 - Mission of Burma & Wyatt Cenac
12/6 - Mofungo, Amy Rigby, Wreckless Eric, Mikael Jorgensen, Tara Key, Gil Divine & Eugene Mirman
12/7 - Bonnie Prince Billy, Kurt Braunohler & Kristen Schaal & Nels Cline
12/8 - The National, Marc Maron, Hamish Kilgour, Bruce Bennett, Gil Divine
YKT's 12/8 setlist is below...

Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's
8 December 2010 (via)
*(Hanukkah, night 8)*

The National and Marc Maron opened.
benefit for Transportation Alternatives and City Harvest.

Mix disc by Joe Puleo.

(entire set, minus last two songs, with Hamish Kilgour on percussion/guitar)

Night Falls On Hoboken
Eight Days A Week (The Beatles)
Madeleine
Mr. Tough
Gentle Hour (Snapper)
Tired Hippo
Demons
Walkin' My Cat Named Dog (Norma Tanega)
Whatever I Do It's Right (The Clean)
Sweet Dreams (The Mad Scene)
Sudden Organ
Deeper Into Movies
Nothing To Hide
Blue Line Swinger
Our Way To Fall

*(encore)*
I Can't Stand It Anymore (Velvet Underground) (with Bruce Bennett on guitar)
We Belong Together (Randy Newman)
Love Power (Mel Brooks) (with Gil Divine on guitar)

who is the national? awful band?

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 9:42 AM

epic

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 9:42 AM

wow...for 200 people?

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 9:45 AM

Don't know if I would call Gil Divine a special guest. Never though the National were good live and I still don't think so.

Great set. 23 minute version of BLS. Great opener with NFOH (shorted to about 13-14 minutes :) )Ira crowdsurfing. Happy Hannukah.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 9:45 AM

Any setlist for The National?

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 9:47 AM

That would of been amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 9:48 AM

nice, they played deeper into movies

Posted by guy who wanted them to play deeper into movies | December 9, 2010 9:50 AM

I am not a big fan of a lot of the openers for YLT but it still is a very impressive list for such a small venue! Most of these artist can play way larger venues!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 9:56 AM

Gentle Hour from the Dark Was the Night comp. is a beautiful tune.

Posted by beast | December 9, 2010 10:00 AM

The greatest part about this night is that YLT covered "We Belong Together," Randy Newman's song from the end of Toy Story 3.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:03 AM

"That would of been amazing."

too many people on here confuse the word "of" with "have"

Posted by english teacher | December 9, 2010 10:09 AM

my fave was love power -
Ira "Gil take this guitar, Em to C"

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:19 AM

is this an effin joke. the national, a band that can sell out radio city and terminal 5 in the same week played for 200 jersey schmoes at maxwell's? if i knew about this i would paid huge amounts of money to be there. im still convinced this is just a bad dream.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:21 AM

The National actually headlines Maxwell's after the first LP came out. Not sure exactly when that was...

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:25 AM

I was lucky enough to make it to 4 of the hanukkah shows this year. Definitely don't sleep on this next time they get announced. They're amazingly fun and memorable!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:27 AM

National setlist with bad memory
Start A War
Slow Show
Bloodbuzz
???
Apartment
Able
Green Gloves
Fake Empire
November
Afraid everyone
Terrible Love

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:29 AM

I’m not a huge National fan, but they impressed. The whole show was great. You could tell that YLT were (understandably) exhausted. Lots of missed notes, and the rhythm was just a bit off. (They played Deeper into Movies, one of my all time favorites, but it was a great disappointment: seemed like they weren’t in synch, and Kilgour’s extra drumming just got in the way of Georgia’s. Plus the vocal mix was horrible.)

But yes, Ira crowd surfing and getting dropped (and yelling into the mic, from the floow, ‘What the fuck? Jesus Christ!’) was priceless. And all in all, what a week! Great openers, great guests, just a fantastic vibe. Thanks a million, YLT, and see you next year!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:32 AM

Updating the setlist @Anon 10:29 AM was kind enough to supply from memory: ??? is "Conversation 16"

Posted by Gary | December 9, 2010 10:37 AM

the national. maxwell's. are more words even necessary?
what a band. what a show. what a night. the best show ever? well, i'm not one to delve into hyperbole but yes, this was the best show ever. years from now people who were at this show will relive and recall with glee the exact place at maxwell's where they were standing when that first note was struck.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 10:56 AM

this whole scene is one big hyperbole

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 11:15 AM

Let's face it, no band owes you anything--and most bands just show up, play, and collect your money. THIS band holds an 8-day party every year, invites all the people they think are cool,and opens it all up to anyone who can score a ticket? (plus it's a fundraiser and they wear funny outfits) And people complain? For shame!

Posted by David Z | December 9, 2010 11:56 AM

Not so sure on the hyperbole, 11:15. I saw the Tweedy show and that, coupled with the kids singing YLT songs and then YLT tearing things apart in a tiny venue that has not changed in 20+ years? It was incredible. Great, great night, If I lived in Hoboken I'd have gone to all 8 shows. Make no mistake: these shows are awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 11:57 AM

Isn't Nada Surf doing a benefit for Transportation Alternatives too? Love all the new bike lanes in NYC...

Posted by eliot | December 9, 2010 11:59 AM

I can see being cynical about SOME things, SOMEtimes. Grizzly Bear, for example. YLT's Hannukkah shows, where all the money goes to charity, and they invite mutiple surprise guests each night, is not something to be cynical about.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 12:01 PM

The National are the most overrated band in my lifetime. I have seen then for every album - from opening for Clap Your Hands (well they fell off too, didn't they) @ Warsaw to Radio City to (now) Maxwells (saw them for The Boxer too somewhere - for some reason) - and I must say - how fucking boring!?!?!

They didn't even collaborate w YLT. LAME.

The song where he was screaming and the one after were decent...

Top 3 Highlights:

Thursdays 1st set overall was my favorite straight YLT set

Mission of Burma/Weston night over all

Nels Cline collaboration set

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 12:12 PM

"my fave was love power -
Ira "Gil take this guitar, Em to C"
Ira then crowdsurfed to the back, was dropped, demanded to be lifted back up and returned to stage. All the way screaming about flowers....great conclusion"

that fucker is heavier than he looks

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 12:13 PM

11:57, that was me, and i was really just joking. i went to the tweedy show and the MoB show and loved them both. someone actually said "enough with the hyperboles" on my review of MoB's performance, but whatever. i'm an unabashed fan of burma and YLT and these shows have been great...

Posted by chris g. | December 9, 2010 12:24 PM

"I'm not one to delve into hyperbole"

I seriously doubt that, 10:56

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 12:48 PM

The National were boring. Came out, played a set, and left. Singer sang with his eyes closed.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 12:54 PM

12:12, were you even there?
"They didn't even collaborate w YLT. LAME."
Hello? Ira played on the last two songs of their set.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 12:59 PM

David Z at 11:56, and anonymous at 12:01, are spot-on: this is something that YLT does for their fans, for their community (and, okay, for themselves, as they clearly have a blast too). There's really no downside to this. I'm a cynical motherfucker but these shows are just awesome, from concept to delivery.

And where else are you going to be able to see Jeff Tweedy in a tiny room? or the National? Or Mofungo reunited? or Syl Johnson? I could go on... sure, every opener won't appeal to everyone, and there is the occasional asshole in the crowd (though fewer, per capita, than most anywhere in this city, I'd argue).

If you're going to get cynical about the YLT hannukah shows, or just focus on the negatives or the fact that you didn't like this band or the other... well, take a deep breath, man, and rethink your life.

Ok, back to being a cynical grump.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 1:17 PM

Nobody has anything to say about Maron? How was he? I really dig his WTF podcast.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 1:19 PM

marc maron is awesome, but i wasn't there

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 1:33 PM

national=boring

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 1:50 PM

highlight was the little girl singing the start of sugarcube and then smiling like an imp while the crowd serenaded with applause.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 2:03 PM

The only thing missing from last night was the line: "that's our Hitler!"

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 3:06 PM

The best part of this show was Maxwells easy door policy. I smuggled in 3 dutchmasters, 17 Newports, 4 slices of pita bread, a plastic spoon, and a rather large Tupperware of hummus that I shared with some fellow wearing a curvy rimmed baseball cap.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 3:34 PM

yes I was there - and Ira joining the National saved my interest level.

The National are lame for not sticking around and joining YLT later - albeit - maybe they were not invited...

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 3:47 PM

I would agree that the little girl singing "Sugarcube" might have been the highlight of a night when Tweedy and YLT also played, which says something.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 4:25 PM

here she is, the little cutie.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 5:03 PM

People, it is The National. Boring. They will not be around in several years. Bend on your knees to the awesomeness that is Yo La Tengo. 25 years and still going strong, and still having folks from Wilco and The National open up for them. RESPECT !!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 7:22 PM

Ira introduced Maron and plugged his podcast, I was the only one who clapped. I thought he was hilarious, psycho fan stalker, bi-polar dad, but the crowd didn't get into it until he started making the jewish jokes. After that people started getting into it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 7:23 PM

The hipster doofus quotient on this site is off the charts.

I attended 3 of the 8 nights and all of the openers (Tweedy, Burma, The National)were all strong in unique and different ways (last time I checked, the goal of an opening band is to OPEN the show, not show up the headliner). To those that only came to see YLT and would have complained no matter who played, I have three words: Shut the Fuck Up.

And a special shout-out to those that find The National too twee: I stongly recommend seeing them with a couple of thousand belivers and watch the crowd get whipped into a frenzy during "Abel" or "Mr. October."

As for YLT: they were (in the words of Shelly Duvall) transplendent. I don't know how you tear it up for eight straight nights--and cut your forehead--and keep on coming back for more.

Now pass the matzo...

Posted by anonymous | December 9, 2010 7:36 PM

I was up front and thought Mark Maron was real funny. I felt the gaze when I would laugh and their was silence around me...great time. thanks to YLT.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 7:52 PM

"the goal of an opening band is to OPEN the show, not show up the headliner)"

I dare say that Syl Johnson upstaged YLT.

"I have three words: Shut the Fuck Up."

Um, that's four words.

"I stongly recommend seeing them with a couple of thousand belivers and watch the crowd get whipped into a frenzy during "Abel" or "Mr. October.""

Um, "Mr. November"?

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2010 8:23 PM

anyone know where to find downloads for all this years shows?

Posted by cory monteiro | December 10, 2010 8:47 AM

This was an awful show. The National can't play a single song in tune. I wish I went a different night.

Posted by Anonymous | December 10, 2010 12:36 PM