Posted in comedy | music on December 3, 2010

YLT
YLT

Two down. Six to go. As promised, The Parting Gifts opened Thursday night's Yo La Tengo show at Maxwell's. And as theorized, Jim Gaffigan was the comedian. Jim kicks off his run of SEVEN shows at Best Buy Theater tonight (12/3). You can catch the Parting Gifts tonight at Union Hall.

Yo La Tengo were also joined by special guests Glenn Mercer and Bill Million of the Feelies, and The Great Gaylord on vocals for a song. Night Two's mixtape was made by Damian from Fucked Up.

Hanukkah continues at Maxwell's for the next six nights. Night One and Two's setlists are below...

Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's
1 December 2010 (via)

*(Hanukkah, night 1)*
M. Ward and Todd Barry opened.
benefit for NJ Seeds.

Mix disc by Thurston Moore.

One Night With You (Bartholomew, Bartholomew, King, Steiman) (sung as "Eight Nights With You") (with Gene DiNapoli/NewYorkElvis.com and horns)
Carnival Time (Al Johnson) (sung as "Hanukkah Time") (with horns)
Mr. Tough (with horns)
Moby Octopad (with horns and M. Ward on guitar)
Magnet (NRBQ) (with MW)
How To Make A Baby Elephant Float (with MW)
Saturday (with MW)
More Stars Than There Are In Heaven
Autumn Sweater
When It's Dark
Cherry Chapstick
Decora
The Story of Jazz
Nothing To Hide
I Heard You Looking (with MW)

*(encore)*
Angst In My Pants (Sparks) (Todd Barry on drums)
Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon (Neil Diamond) (with Nash Kato on vocals)
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck (Carroll, Moody, Presley) (with GD and MW)
Burning Love (Linde) (with GD, MW, and NK)

Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's
2 December 2010 (via)
*(Hanukkah, night 2)*
The Parting Gifts and Jim Gaffigan opened.
benefit for Valerie Fund & Dravet Syndrome Foundation.

Mix disc by Damian Abraham.

Surfin' With The Shah (The Urinals)
Five-Cornered Drone (Crispy Duck)
Let's Save Tony Orlando's House
Periodically Double or Triple
Stockholm Syndrome
Here To Fall
The Weakest Part
The Pain of Pain
The Summer (with Bob Lawton on guitar)
Double Dare (acoustic)
False Alarm
Shaker
A House Is Not A Motel (Love)
Sugarcube
Heroin (Lou Reed, Roky Erickson arrangement)

*(encore)*
Rolling Stones Rice Krispies Jingle (Brian Jones) (with the Great Gaylord on vocals, Greg Cartwright of the Parting Gifts on guitar)
Little Red Book (Burt Bacharach) (with GG and GC)
Stop and Think It Over (Greg Cartwright) (with GC and Dave Amels of the Parting Gifts on keyboards)
Heaven Only Knows (Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich) (with GC and DA)
I'll Keep It With Mine (Bob Dylan)
By The Time It Gets Dark (Sandy Denny)
Griselda (Peter Stampfel)
Pretty In Pink (Psychedelic Furs) (with Glenn Mercer of the Feelies on guitar/vocals)
White Light/White Heat (Velvet Underground) (with GM and Bill Million of the Feelies on guitar)
Fa Ce La (The Feelies) (with GM and BM)
Roadrunner (Jonathan Richman) (with GM and BM)

bacon

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 10:02 AM

For those who went last night or the night before, couple of questions!

1) How much are these mix tapes?
2) Are they limited?
3) I'm guessing the special opener for each night goes on about 15 minutes after show time?

ex: Wed/Thurs...ticket site says doors 8/show time 830

but someone said m ward went on around 850?

I can't wait for Sunday!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 10:05 AM

Killer set, bro. By The Time It Gets Dark and The Summer? Damn.

Posted by dunston | December 3, 2010 10:05 AM

nice Best Show reference Damian

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 10:06 AM

Insane set. Ira once said that the best night is the one you don't go to. So true!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 10:06 AM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 10:09 AM

It was a long night so I could be wrong, but I don't think they did Shaker.

And fyi, the 3-song encore run from Dylan to Griselda was fortuitous vamping while they waited for Mercer and Million to arrive.

Posted by 8-nighter | December 3, 2010 10:17 AM

GRISELDA

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 10:34 AM

So true, 10:17, SO TRUE.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 11:13 AM

I wish Beatle Bob taught dance classes.

Posted by BR | December 3, 2010 11:14 AM

Wow, that joke where someone says 'Who?' is not at all stale or overused. Makes me Ell Oh Ell every time I see it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 11:30 AM

Ejected guy made a pretty hilarious scene outside Maxwell's.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 11:52 AM

What happened with that dude?? I saw the ruckus.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 11:54 AM

Actually, no offense(or maybe some offense) to the "omg insane" loser, from looking at both nights so far i would say the best is yet to come. Glad I got tix for the later shows.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 11:58 AM

It's going to be hard to top last night!!! I have tickets for the last five nights, so I hope you are right about "the best is yet to come."

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:28 PM

who got ejected and why? sounds juicy

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:28 PM

Some loser and the two girls he was with felt the need to "dance" by shoving everyone around him. When asked to stop by the people around him and then the Maxwell's bouncer, he refused and required removal-by-headlock. He then proceeded to stand outside Maxwell's trying to fight his way back in the door to get his money back. Public breakdown/crying by the girlfriend and their ensuing shouting match added to the drama.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:45 PM

man... i guess the show you miss really is the best one.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:47 PM

ejected guy pushed forward with his girl... yelling something about 'everyone being soo white' and 'standing around', which was odd due to the fact that this guy was white. No need to make it racial.

After failing to get a mosh pit going, he complained a bit more about 'everyone being white'.

Then, he was confronted by some guy (maybe from Maxwells) about calming down... when he didnt, that's when 3 or 5 people bounced his ass out.

Didn't Todd Barry make a joke about getting into a fight at the YLT show???

Last night killed. Ejected guy missed the best part of the show... there was even a little dancing. How about that SugarCube?!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:47 PM

Yeah, after ejected guy was, well, ejected, there was a lot more room to move around and rock a little.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:53 PM

haha sounds hilarious... i can understand the need to dance, but YLT doesn't excactly induce violent moshing

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 12:54 PM

Also, much of the set was quieter numbers. Did ejected guy epect people to slam dance to the acoustic "Double Dare"?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 1:05 PM

I dunno, if I went to a Yo La Tengo show and a bunch of white people showed up, I'd be pretty upset too.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 1:06 PM

yeah really... what's with all the white people at yo la tengo hanukkah shows?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 1:08 PM

they definitely played shaker.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 1:29 PM

I have seen people dancing at crowded indie rock shows and I have seen black people at crowded indie rock shows. In my experience the former are always white and the latter are always black.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 1:39 PM

Can I help it if I like to dance???

Posted by Ejected Guy | December 3, 2010 2:21 PM

the ejected guy wasn't confronted by maxwell's staff - he was confronted by another audience member trying to enjoy the quieter parts of the set.

the disagreement started early in the show when the ejected guy and his girlfriends kept talking over the music.

i was sorry to see that the audience member that confronted the jackass was ejected as well.

if you're out there reading this, you should know that your sacrifice made the rest of the night a whole lot more enjoyable!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 2:59 PM

I'm confused.....why did the guy confronting the jackass get ejected as well?

Yes....when people talk at shows instead of watching the show, I'll say to them please go to the back and talk. It's not only common sense but people go to shows to hear music and not you chit chat about something else.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 3:03 PM

the confronting guy got ejected too because the "confronting" turned into an indie cover equivalent of greco-roman wrestling.

my guess is that the maxwell's staff interpreted this sporting display as "fighting" and just booted both athletes by default.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 3:22 PM

Was it Beatle Bob who got ejected??????????????????

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 5:25 PM

I could be mistaken, but I believe Confronting Guy was allowed back in. Ejected Guy and his girls were also annoying during Jim Gaffigan. I don't get why you'd have a conversation while there's a comedian on.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 6:00 PM

ejected guy here: the comedian wasn't funny. no one was trying to talk over yo la tengo, nor "mosh" to quiet songs, or even "mosh" at all.. but these motherfuckers needed to get their hands out of their pockets and their panties out of their assholes. so we tried to dance a little, someone didn't like it, and they got security to kick us out like a pussy. and they put my sister in a headlock. not cool. so yeah, i was pretty goddamn upset out there. that security goon was totally out of line to pull us out of there, he was bent on confrontation from the get. sorry, it's too much to ask to have a good time at a show. i'll see y'all around though. lighten up next time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 8:04 PM

Hey "ejected guy." I'm sure you just got thrown out because you "tried to dance a little." You know the way people get thrown out of rock clubs merely for "dancing a little." Also, if you're implying you talked loudly while the comedian was on, then that's reason enough to eject you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 8:49 PM

beatle bob

Posted by charlie | December 3, 2010 9:04 PM

Jeff tweedy opened friday

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2010 11:09 PM

Ejected guy,

"no one was trying to talk over yo la tengo": bullshit. You and the two women were standing directly in front of me for the first half of ylt's set, and the girls especially talked a hell of a lot during the songs. In fact, you guys were pretty much the only people in the front of the venue who were talking. Trust me, you were fucking annoying. One guy next to me at one point yelled, "Shut the fuck up," but that didn't seem to stop you.

I was thrilled when you decided to get away from where I was standing. You and one of the girls basically tried to push your way to the front in this tiny packed space. You met resistance, and then you kept jumping around and pushing the people all around you.

"that security guy was totally out of line to pull us out of there": bullshit again. He was totally justified. You AND ONLY YOU decided that your enjoyment of the show was more important than anybody else's. Nobody else decided to create a scene. You were the only person "bent on confrontation."

You are a child and acted like a spoiled brat. Grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2010 12:34 PM

right, because moving your body at a rock show is grounds for violent removal. where shall i lay my exultation for your righteousness? asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2010 10:35 PM