Posted in pictures | tour dates on December 23, 2010

photos by Graeme Flegenheimer

Wu Tang

Like Lauryn Hill before them, the Wu-Tang Clan preceeded the NYC-area portion of their tour with a stop at Higher Ground in Vermont. Unlike Lauryn's though, their show was met with positive reviews... including by someone who alledgedly works at the venue via a comment on the Seven Days blog...

"Hey there - just please let it be known - that we at Higher Ground had such a difficult time dealing with this - Lauryn's crew brought in their entire own PA and had their own engineers - which was totally unnecessary as we have a proper high end PA in-house that they could have used - but Lauryn chose not to. Other venues she plays will suffer the same fate unfortunately. It was too loud because they brought their own subwoofers - in addition to ours that are more than adequate to run any show - just ask the Wu-Tang Clan who had a great performance last night on all of our house gear. It was distorted because Higher Ground engineers - who weren't allowed to run the sound - and know the room better than any traveling engineer - were forced to allow Ms. Hill's crew to make the room sound as she requested. Therefore as a result there were some refunds given back and plenty of earplugs handed out, as well as a plethora of complaints, not only from concert attendees but neighbors as well...."
Wu-Tang Clan's tour is now underway. As previously mentioned, it hits Starland Ballroom in NJ tonight (12/23) and Best Buy Theater in NYC on 12/29 (tickets). An updated set of dates and more pictures from the Vermont show (setlist coming soon), below...

Wutang

i saw them at hammerstein maybe 3-4 years back, they had 8x the people on stage and it sounded so shitty but i think thats just live rap

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 7:18 PM

Come on now, how hard is it to manage the sound of two turntables. I hear it done all the time at karaoke night. Lauryn had an 11 piece band big difference.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 7:24 PM

live rap sucks- BORING!

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 8:27 PM

yeah wu live is pretty unremarkable

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 8:49 PM

So when did Lauryn Hill garner the popularity to be this huge of a bitch. OHHHHHHHH

Posted by Andrew Dice Clay | December 23, 2010 9:34 PM

giving new meaning to raekwon the chef...

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 9:38 PM

dem dudes lookin old

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 9:55 PM

saw Wu Tang at Rock The Bells as even though it was several rappers on stage, they were incredible live. I'm sure this and all the other nights were the same. Except, was RZA not rolling?

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 10:02 PM

WHO?

Posted by Larry | December 23, 2010 10:02 PM

niggas like hummus?

hummus ain't nothin to F*** with!

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 10:37 PM

boring, misaligned photos.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 10:40 PM

CHICKPEEEEA ZOO
WHAT

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 10:57 PM

10:37- that was seriously the worst joke i have ever heard. have a horrible christmas

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 11:04 PM

was rza there?

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 11:32 PM

Wu-Tang live can be so hit or miss. They're my favorite rap act ever, but the whole "do 1/3 to 1/2 the song then have the DJ hit the glass breaking sfx" act is really tired. i want to hear all the verses, not just the 2 or 3 you remember. hopefully they're not doing that on this tour...the price tag is a big too hefty for me this time around though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 12:24 AM

you can't say "cashgrab" for a RAP act that has rhymed about getting cash moreso than almost any other subject for their entire career.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 12:29 AM

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2010 11:04 PM

Yes right and I bet the 10:37 kid is a white little brat using that word when he shouldnt.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 12:39 AM

^WAY greater!

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 1:44 AM

Lauryn Hill brought their own monitor system, consoles and some extra subs but used the house PA. That's not very unusual. The show was just mixed too loud which can happen regardless of the sound system.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 8:19 AM

I maintain my position that Higher Ground sucks balls anyway. They deserve to have shitty shows there. That place and the entire city of Burlington are a joke...can we sell Vermont to Canada and be done with it? The last time I was there this beastly chick bartender had me thrown out of the show for reasons unknown. I order two shots...pay for it...then I have bouncers grab me before I can even take the shots off of the bar. How can an area that prides themselves on being so "rugged" be such pansies? I hope bears get into the next show and maul all of the staff and trustfund hippies inside.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 9:53 AM

guy gets thrown out of a bar one time = the state of Vermont sucks.

if your barside manner is as good as your logic, 9:53, you must've deserved it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 10:52 AM

Wu is amazing, but youre wasting your time seeing them live. It goes like this. The only way you'll see a good hip hop show is if it's seasoned vets that pride themselves on their live show (The Roots and Outkast) or someone young and hungry who hasnt grown complacent yet (Joell Ortiz rips it live).

Posted by GregBX | December 24, 2010 11:56 AM

I hear that. I saw Wu Tang live once and all they did was read a copy of The Great Gatsby from beginning to end. No joke. By the time the Q&A started half the audience had already left.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 1:31 PM

i like burlington. good college town.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 3:26 PM

rza is working airport security for the tsa.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 3:26 PM

How's the hummus in birmington?

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 7:47 PM

burly is definitely is fun town, but higher ground is mostly meh. It's a huge jam rock scene, so most of the gigs downtown are full of washed up Phish fans.

Plenty of fresh hummus stands at Farmer's Market. Holla!

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 8:28 PM

@10:52-It wasn't based on just one time, I've been up there a bunch of times and something like that happens every time. I have never been kicked out of a bar in any other city...but in Burlington its guaranteed to happen at least once a trip. Not just me either, I know a lot of people who have the exact same experience. It's a city full of pussies. True story- one popular bar throws people out for being even slightly intoxicated. I go to their upstairs area and ask the girl working the door how it is in there. She asks if I'm "rolling"...I say no. She tells me I probably won't like it then. That seems to sum up the whole city. Bunch of rich poser hippies that condone heavy drug use more than throwing back a few beers.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 9:27 PM

Posted by Drenagem Linfática | December 24, 2010 10:03 PM

9:53/9:27- you and your friends clearly suck. I grew up in burlington, and after countless nights out drinking neither I nor anyone I know has ever been thrown out of a bar there.

also, bears at a show wouldn't be that much of a problem, considering that you're allowed to carry a piece in public.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2010 10:34 PM

niggas like hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2010 1:27 AM

^ das racist

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2010 8:48 AM

Wait, RZA wasn't there?

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2010 12:46 PM

Furshinizzle on the hummizzle my white nizzles.

Posted by Hummominous Bràsh | December 25, 2010 2:11 PM

Furshinizzle on the hummizzle my white nizzles. .

once again, that was a horrible fucking joke. hope your christmas was fucking as miserable as that shitty as fuck joke. eat a dick, and listen to some metal.

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2010 9:29 PM

hummus das racist dat niggaz like

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2010 11:43 PM

rza? anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2010 10:25 AM

RZA was filming a movie in China and couldn't come.

Posted by RZA | December 26, 2010 11:32 AM

no bashing vermont. disregard the bullshit jam band fanfare...those are all the college kids. the real residents of b-town have some of the best music taste i've seen. we don't get much love up here. pinback stopped coming. rogue wave saw a crappy turnout. thankfully bands like silver mt zion and broken social scene have seen the love. i swear, if more bands came up to play, we would finally establish the quality music scene the residents of this city deserve. and...this is coming from a native new yorker so it pains me to be left out of so many tours when i once had my pick.

Posted by susie | December 31, 2010 2:57 PM

Posted by Lindas | May 24, 2011 9:54 PM

Posted by Acompanhantes | May 29, 2011 11:54 AM

I've only seen Wu-Tang live once (Dec. 2010) and I just figured the sound would suck because it's at a smaller indoor venue, as well, and nobody sounds good in this place either! I'm happy to say that I was wrong! They sounded dope and put on a sick show, minus RZA who was outta the Country filming a movie in China! I've now seen other good shows at our small indoor venue, to name a few: DJ Quik, Dilated Peoples and even Snoop! I saw The Beatnuts at a similar venue in LA and they rocked it! I would definitely say that outdoor shows, like Rock The Bells, do have a better sound but I'd never blame the performer. . . I'd blame the sound people and the Venue itself!

Posted by Stacy1904 | July 24, 2011 7:54 AM

RZA was filming a movie in China and couldn't come.

Posted by KaylaZhang | February 7, 2013 9:10 AM