Posted in comedy | music | pictures on December 6, 2010

photos by Andrew St. Clair

Peter Wolf & Ira
Yo La Tengo

As someone promised, Syl Johnson was the opener for Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's on Saturday night (12/4). Syl was also in town to play Southpaw on Friday which was the night Jeff Tweedy opened for Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's. Saturday night's comedian was 'Rabbi Attitude' aka Jon Glaser. The special guests were Peter Wolf and Ira's mom who made an appearance in 2008 as well. The mixtape was by Numero Group. Full setlist and more pictures from the fourth night of Hanukkah, below...

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Jon Glaser

Yo La Tengo at Maxwell's
4 December 2010 (via)
*(Hanukkah, night 4)*

Syl Johnson and Jon Glaser (as 'Rabbi Attitude') opened.
benefit for Physician's Reproductive Choice and Health

Mix disc by the Numero Group.

Everyday
We're An American Band
Cone of Silence
She's My Best Friend (Velvet Underground)
A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You (Neil Diamond)
Beanbag Chair
Winter A Go Go
Here To Fall
I'm On My Way
Decora (quiet)
Sudden Organ
Get Down (Half Life)
Out the Window
Tom Courtenay
The Story of Yo La Tango

*(encore)*
Autumn Sweater (with Jon Glaser as 'Jon' on vocals)
Ain't Nothin' But A House Party (The Show Stoppers) (with Peter Wolf on vocals)
I've Had It (The Bell-Notes) (with PW)
Pack Fair and Square (Big Walter Price) (with PW)
My Little Corner of the World (Bob Hilliard, Lee Pockriss) (with Ira's mom on vocals)
Everyday
We're An American Band
Cone of Silence
She's My Best Friend (Velvet Underground)
A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You (Neil Diamond)
Beanbag Chair
Winter A Go Go
Here To Fall
I'm On My Way
Decora (quiet)
Sudden Organ
Get Down (Half Life)
Out the Window
Tom Courtenay
The Story of Yo La Tango

*(encore)*
Autumn Sweater (with Jon Glaser as 'Jon' on vocals)
Ain't Nothin' But A House Party (The Show Stoppers) (with Peter Wolf on vocals)
I've Had It (The Bell-Notes) (with PW)
??? (John Lee Hooker) (with PW)

jESSE JARNOW

Posted by NICK | December 6, 2010 10:25 AM

YLT was a snoozefest after Syl's set. Just sayin'.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 10:28 AM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 10:44 AM

"YLT was a snoozefest after Syl's set. Just sayin'."

I agree. Syl just slayed on Saturday night. Opening with "Everyday" and "We're An American Band" didn't help with the energy levels.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 10:46 AM

Abortion Night rocked!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:10 AM

These guests just keep getting older and older!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:13 AM

Nice pics. But, please, to the two people who kept taking flash pic after flash pic on Saturday night... knock it off! It's really distracting and annoying - not to mention almost painful to eyes that are adjusted for dim lights.

I kept hoping for Ira to go into his patented stage-rage and dive into the crowd and... I guess he would then gently remove the batteries from your flash. Smashing it on the floor isn't really his style.

But please. Turn off the fucking flash. Thank you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:22 AM

now that's a lot of white people

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:23 AM

I don't need a 'C', I just needed a fucking shirt.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:24 AM

hell yeah x101

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:36 AM

But if people don't take pictures, then it's like the show never existed. Photographers do the community a service by taking picture after picture.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:38 AM

Like the show never existed? That is ridiculous. One's experience and memory should be good enough. You probably just like to snap tons of pictures and post them on your facebook to show people how cool your social life is.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:52 AM

Who's opening tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 11:55 AM

memories disappear. photos stay. thats the truth. if you're at a show and you're not taking pictures you're an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:02 PM

I (11:38am) was being sarcastic. I hope anon-12:02pm is too.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:10 PM

Camera steal souls. "Thou shalt not make unto thyself a graven image." -G-d

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:12 PM

12:12, um okay. stop reading this site then...

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:21 PM

most of the photographers i've noticed don't use flash, but that would get tiresome really fast if they did.

i have more of a problem of photogs pushing through the crowd to the front to take pictures after the set has started.

and cell phone camera people should die right fucking now. i don't need to see your viewfinder in my face all night.

i'm in a great mood today!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:24 PM

unlike you people who like to get drunk and completely forget the show, i like to remember it for as long as i can and thats why i take photos and videos throughout the show. the view of the camera is more important than my own view and actual experience at the show because i'll be watching the camera view for years whereas my experience is only transient.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:30 PM

oh boy... look, i know a lot of the photogs for this site and know that they never push their way up to the front after the show has started. i can pretty much say that as fact knowing that they're all fans too. and if flash was used it's because it was ridiculously dark, especially at maxwell's.

great photos as always andrew.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:31 PM

@12:31 "great photos..."

Really?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:42 PM

Why was Howard Stern on stage singing?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:51 PM

It's true -- the photographers were supreme douchebags. Using a flash the entire show, and taking pics in every SINGLE song. I can't believe that the band didnt throw something at them. I overheard one of them say she is "doing her job" when someone called her out. Two thoughts: (1) your pics stink, if this is your job, get a new job, and (2) most pros I know, find a way to be unobstrusive and/or only take pics for the first couple of songs. I guess no one taught you how to do your job.

Posted by anonymous | December 6, 2010 12:53 PM

i know how to do my job 12:53. i'm one of the best in the business. if you can't stand the photos don't go to the shows.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 1:03 PM

@ 1:03 -- my favorite part of the night? When Ira was lifting the guitar over his head and throwing it down for feedback. Watching the two of you get bummed out every time you tried (and failed) to snap a shot of Ira holding the guitar over his head was almost as enjoyable as Ira's antics.

Posted by anonymous | December 6, 2010 1:09 PM

@ 1:03:
"if you can't stand the photos don't go to the shows"

If you can't take the criticism, maybe you should get a new job.

Posted by matt | December 6, 2010 1:11 PM

@1:03 One of the best in the business? C'mon. That must be sarcasm, right?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 1:12 PM

@ 1:12:
I'd bet it's not sarcasm. After all, it takes a mindset like that to snap 7,000 pics with a flash at Maxwells.

Posted by matt | December 6, 2010 1:13 PM

i cant speak for the others, but i personally did get a shot of ira holding the guitar over his head. it wasnt that hard either. i have had my photos published in world renowned magazines and websites the world over. in fact, some of your favorite concert images were probably done by me. but still you complain. and complain. you have no appreciation. just dont come to the shows. YLT would be grateful to rid themselves of you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 1:30 PM

There's nothing wrong with taking photos at a show. The problem is the flash. It's just annoying to everyone. You want to bring your DSLR and take shots, go for it. Just turn off the damn flash. Read the manual if you need to know how to adjust the shutter speed and f-stop so that you can get enough light for a good picture.

Using a flash is okay, I suppose, if you're at T5 or Bowery or other large-ish venues. But at Maxwell's, with a low ceiling, the flash is really obtrusive and annoying.

When you use a flash at Maxwell's, you're being rude. And a jerk. Knock it off. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 1:32 PM

@1:30 Let's see one of these favs of mine.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 1:34 PM

Man, Syl, Jon Glaser, AND Peter Wolf. Really depressed I did not know. Peter Wolf is amazing, caught both times in New York this year.

Posted by citybug | December 6, 2010 1:41 PM

"@12:31 "great photos..."
Really?"

Ha, I agree. 12:31 is either Andrew himself or a friend.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 1:44 PM

i took a video of this plastic grocery bag blowing in the wind because it was so beautiful. i'm an artist.

this is just my day job. i perform surveillance at shows so that if things get out of hand, the guilty parties can be prosecuted.

i think of myself as a cross between Man Ray, TMZ, and the cops

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2010 3:20 PM

Anonymous @ 1:32 nailed it - the problem is the flash. So, Andrew St. Clair, I'm really impressed that you got those money shots of Ira, and that you're published in world renowned magazines and websites, and that you're responsible for so many of my favorite images. The best part was speaking for YLT - you're obviously right, they'd rather be rid of their fans, not an amateur like you who keeps their fans from being able to enjoy the show. I suspected you were an asshole for not knowing how obnoxious your flash was, but thanks for clarifying - we can be sure now.

Obviously a pro like you shoots lots of big rock shows, and they let you go between the stage and the front rail for the first few songs... You know how they don't let you use flash, and if you do they'll yank you out of there? That's because it's annoying to both artists and spectators, and if you know how to use a camera, it's not necessary. You're conveniently ignoring the standard industry practices of live music photography. Maxwell's doesn't have security to make assholes like you stop, they rely on the good sense and manners of their patrons. We're all just disappointed that you had neither. To be a professional, it takes more than an expensive camera and the ability to frame a shot.

Oh, one more thing; you're an asshole.

Posted by Tom Courtenay | December 6, 2010 5:02 PM

do you impudent fools really think you know how to take a picture better than i do? if a picture requires flash, i use flash. if it doesn't, i don't. i don't disturb other people but keep in mind that there are 200 people in the audience but 10,000 people looking at my pictures to experience the show vicariously. think about that. 200 vs 10,000. stop being so self absorbed. most hilarious is that there are people here who actually think they can teach me about photography. look, i dont teach you how to be an asshole, so you shouldn't teach me about how to be a photographer. we're each already masters of our respective domains.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 11:04 AM

^ stop it. impersonating someone is crossing the line and not funny.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2010 11:10 AM

"i'm one of the best in the business."

Spoken like a typical 20-something "photograher" (read: prima-donna).

These are barely snapshots, let alone photographs.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2010 10:52 AM

Quote from David Leslie Anthony (one of the best photogs in the world):

I stated it prior…the photographers at the top are the nicest people. Why? Because they are very secure in who they are and what they have achieved. They have their own way of seeing the world and they have their own style. I find this “cattiness” comes from the many that have never done anything, yet they all think they are doing “something new” that “no one has seen before”. IF they got off their trite ego’s and started looking at photography from the 40’s and 50’s, they just might find that everything you see today was done back then AND much better. Most of these ego’s stem from the one’s on these “wannabe photo/model sites” who have absolutely no talent other than stroking each other, and talking about “how terrible” Terry Richardson’s work is. Do they actually think Terry gives a shit WHAT they think?? These “people” do bullshit work, trying to attract a bullshit audience, and consider themselves “innovative”.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2010 10:58 AM