Posted in music | pictures on January 17, 2011

photos by Leia Jospe

Anamanaguchi

"Unlike the heroes of "Tron: Legacy,'' the members of Anamanaguchi haven't gotten trapped inside a video game. But they did get to compose the score for "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game,'' which is almost as appropriate. That's because Anamanaguchi plays "chiptune'' music - jumpy, bleepy rock that incorporates the rudimentary tones of such early eight-bit video-game systems as Game Boy and NES.

An American band with a fake-Japanese name, Anamanaguchi doesn't rely entirely on braying electronics. The group adds guitar, drums and bass to its instrumentals, yielding music that suggests a more trebly version of Trans Am, the D.C. trio that melds electro- and arena-rock." [Washington Post]

Anamanaguchi began a short tour at Knitting Factory in Brooklyn on 1/6, and ended it last night (1/16) in Boston. On Friday night, 1/14, they made a stop at The Studio at Webster Hall with Peelander-Z and Starscream. More pictures, and a video, from that show, below...

Anamanaguchi

Anamanaguchi - "Another Winter"
Uploaded by brooklynvegan.

Do these guys ever rest? I heard they are also playing Irving Plaza later this month with Super Mash Bros.

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2011 2:27 PM

fffffuuuuuu- so mad i missed this >< ... and philly. double fail

Posted by hpizzle | January 17, 2011 3:21 PM

I saw the hummus guy in the bathroom of this show sniffing lines of hummus off pita triangles.

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2011 6:22 PM

The hanging long haired guy was at one point loudly talking about eating garlic and hummus, it was just funny how you could tell who reads brooklynvegan from the random people that quickly shot him a confused look.

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2011 7:49 PM

7:49 that guy was the hummus guy.. he must have been talking after sniffing that line of hummus in the bathroom.

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2011 8:09 PM

The Anamanwhatchamacallit boys seem like some sort of satire kinda of like the cartoon network mixed with help from the creators of Portlandia.

And the crowd goes wild requesting another weezer song slamming and jamming all the way to the top of the pops.

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2011 2:15 AM

Based on the pictures, this show looks like it was a lot of fun.

Posted by Dan | January 18, 2011 10:00 AM

this is strangely the most positive BV post i've ever seen in my life.

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2011 10:48 AM

scott pilgrim + more anime + ketamine-laden manga nerds = this show. Real fun, right?

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2011 12:39 PM

Actually "ketamine-laden" sounds really fun to me!

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2011 1:37 PM

haha, My friend James was the "Weezer" guy lol this was one of the most epic shows I've ever been too....and Peelander-Z was juss the most fun band ever!

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2011 3:24 PM

this is gay as fuck

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2011 3:59 PM

entry level fun shows

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2011 4:28 AM

this makes me want to go to this concert.. I need to go to more live shows. I live in NY, I'm really messing up right now

Posted by instrumentals | May 15, 2011 12:00 AM

These pics make me wish I had gone to this show -- I love the colourful costumes and fun hair. I just dyed my hair purple and white. It didn't really turn out well but, if I went to this show it would be okay I think!

Posted by Solitaire | February 8, 2012 1:17 PM

Thier.... thier name isn't japanese or related to japanese in any way.

"What does the band's name mean?

Before studying music technology, we were all fashion majors at the Parsons School of Design. Pete and James both interned for Armani, I was a secretary at Prada, and Luke worked at the Gucci store in SoHo. Whenever we showed up at fashion parties, people would always call us as the “Armani-Prada-Gucci” boys. After a couple bottles of Veuve Clicquot, people just started slurring the nickname into “Anamanaguchi.” We quickly realized the fashion world wasn’t for us, but that name just stuck when we made the shift to being a band."

Posted by Ghosty | October 30, 2013 8:44 PM