Posted in music | pictures on January 14, 2011

photos by Chris Gersbeck

Dean Wareham

Pittsburgh Post Gazette: What made you want to revisit the Galaxie 500 catalog now?

Dean: We did one show of all-Galaxie 500 songs at a Spanish festival about a year ago, and it sounded really good. I came home and the CDs were all being re-released, and I thought now that I have re-learned the songs I might as well go play them -- while I can still hit all the notes. [Critic] Michael Azzerad asked me if I had dropped the key on any of the songs to do that, but I have managed to get there without resorting to that.

Dean Wareham and band (Britta included) played another excellent set of Galaxie 500 songs at Maxwell's in Hoboken last night (1/13). Their friend and collaborator Cheval Sombre opened the show (Britta on drums and then bass for two songs included). A picture of the set list (Galaxie's 'Ceremony' New Order cover included), with more pictures from the show, below...

Dean Wareham

I don't know if this is gonna make sense to anyone else, but Dean looks like he a considerably younger guy wearing stage makeup designed to make him look older. It just doesn't look... real.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 10:50 AM

great tour...i think he sounds amazing

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 10:51 AM

haha... i think it's just the weird lighting at maxwell's

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 11:01 AM

great setlist

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 11:46 AM

Great show, Dean's guitar work was really outstanding. G500 stuff really holds up.

Opener was eh.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 11:58 AM

i liked the opener. could've done without the long strings ending every song. the one dude on the iPad and all the weird instruments was pretty awesome.

anyone else think it would've made more sense to have Britta play on the LAST two songs instead of the first?

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 12:06 PM

The other two members of Galaxie 500 are sitting at home thinking "man, what a douche."

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 12:33 PM

this did not sell out in advance?

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 1:44 PM

i don't think so, but it was definitely full during Dean's set.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 2:32 PM

what Night Nurse was that for an encore? Gregory Isaacs?

Posted by George in NJ | January 14, 2011 3:27 PM

Its a Dean and Britta song.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 3:36 PM

Re: "The other two members of Galaxie 500 are sitting at home thinking 'man, what a douche.' "

Naomi & Damon have probably been thinking that since 1991. Still regret not seeing this show--setlist looks perfect.

Posted by Solo500 | January 14, 2011 3:51 PM

12:33--Get over it, man. That debate was old in July.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 3:52 PM

i'd let Britta be my filter.

wait, what?

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 3:58 PM

If you read Dean's book or other accounts of their fallout there seems to be enough blame to go around. I've been a fan from the beginning through luna and the present and still can't believe how timeless the songs are that he's written and how great a guitar he plays. I have always been amazed how underappreciated all the incarnations of his work has been. His solo during 4th of july last night was stellar.

Posted by salem 314 | January 14, 2011 4:00 PM

i thought the opener was one long song with pauses

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2011 5:53 PM

Over Hoboken, the sky was cold and black, laced with crystal stars and the lights of New York City shimmering in the background ... but much of that may have just been me, and my present state of mind. Though when Dean filtered in the first few notes from “Flowers,” everything slipped, quivered, and became delightfully seductive around the edges. I was hearing the music of Galaxie 500 again, and all was right with the world, even though the world seemed to exist as only a distant memory for me, reality being replaced by music, and sonic washes of reverb. The spotlights were turning into “Flowers,” I could feel my “Temperature Rising,” filled with “Summertime” visions of “Decomposing Trees,” and the “Strange” distant sounds of “Blue Thunder” rolling in my ears ... a voice in my head questioned, “When Will You Come Home,” but I was “Oblivios” to it all, lost in the “Ceremony,” lost somewhere in space on a “Tugboat” that was sailing straight into a “Snowstorm.” The “Night Nurse” was at the helm, I was far beyond controlling anything, though I do remember her turning to me with a broad smile saying, “Listen, The Snow Is Falling.” I tried to speak, I wanted to say “Don’t Let Our Youth Go To Waste,” but could only touch my fingers to my lips ... it was far too late for that now, and perhaps, already done.

Posted by Jenell Kesler | January 15, 2011 10:16 AM

Hired!

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2011 6:12 PM

maybe I'm just old but I don't think there is any place I'd rather be standing on a thursday night in hoboken than maxwell's listening to dean and watching him tear up ceremony one last time.

Posted by ciaoluna | January 18, 2011 9:06 AM

Thanks, Jenell, for turning me on to one cool outfit. As the first show I've been to in nearly 20 years, this was a great evening out. And having their number one fan as my "date" amplified the festivities all the more. The band does more than justice to so many excellent tracks from the G500 era. I can see why you're so hooked! Count me in the next time they're in the area.

Posted by tymeshifter | January 25, 2011 2:41 PM

where is the pic of them doing the proud warrior pose outside pre show?

Posted by Roscoe | February 4, 2011 11:07 AM