Posted in music | pictures on February 21, 2011

photos by Amanda Hatfield

Dr. Dog

The [Dr. Dog] show started in an almost cult-like environment as the stage was adorned with abstract stain glass art that emitted a strange yet awe-inspiring light. As the band entered the stage, tribal hymns were piped through the sound system and the crowd greeted them with deafening applause. I felt as though I was entering the Temple of Dr. Dog and was about to take part in a right of passage or ritual into the band's world. The opening note was the monotone ring of Miller's organ as McMicken cried out the first line of "I Only Wear Blue," one of the more memorable tracks off the new record. It only got better from that point as Dr. Dog pleased the crowd with songs off all their records. The set featured a great balance of slower songs ("I Only Wear Blue," "Shadow People," and "The Breeze") and fast jams ("The Rabbit, the Bat, and the Reindeer," "Stranger," and "Mirror Mirror") that kept the entire venue swaying and jumping the entire night. Some memorable tunes were the band's cover of Architecture in Helsinki's "Heart It Races" (complete with an interpretive dance performance by a friend of the band), "The Ark," and "The Beach." -[Philadelphia City Paper]
Dr. Dog played Terminal 5 on Friday night, 2/18 (a week before the Philly date, reviewed above) as part of their stint of East Coast dates with The Head and The Heart which concluded Saturday in Boston.

Phantogram was originally scheduled to be on board for the Terminal 5 date, but were replaced by Jeffrey Lewis following a family emergency.

If you missed the show on Friday, The Head & The Heart are teaming with Daniel Wayne to play Maxwell's TONIGHT (2/21). Tickets are still on sale.

Dr. Dog recently released a video of "I Only Wear Blue" made with compiled tour footage. Check that video out, as well as more NYC pictures and the T5 setlist below...

Encore:
Oh No
Today
Jackie Wants A Black Eye

Jeffrey Lewis

Dr. Dog - I Only Wear Blue (Tour Footage)

Someone needs to put this Dog to sleep.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:22 PM

great setlist

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:28 PM

awesome pics!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:29 PM

beautiful photos amanda!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:32 PM

@ 1:22 - everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's just that yours makes you seem like a total f--king loser. Good day a-hole!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:34 PM

Amen 122

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:38 PM

Why thank you 1:34, I hope your day is just as good, too, as you saunter down the street with a pole permanently stuck up the rectum!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:48 PM

Amanda, I've seen better pictures from you. Did you use the gels at all? There's way too much contrast going on.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:49 PM

Mumford and Sons > Dr. Dog

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:51 PM

1:48 - The thought that you can actually defend your original statement confirms my original sentiments toward you. You are not funny, witty, nor amusing...FACT!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:53 PM

there are few performers who can get away with wearing sunglasses on stage in doors... Dr Dog are not one of them

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:55 PM

And you are not righteous, intelligent nor as open minded as you claim by saying all are welcome to their own opinion. Here's one about you: You're not important. Fact.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:57 PM

"Someone needs to put this Dog to sleep."

You compared the kiiling of an animal toward what you feel should happen to the people in this band. Once that statement was made, you lost any chance of legitimacy. You acted like a fool and got called out...deal with it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:03 PM

nice hats

Posted by jan jansson | February 21, 2011 2:09 PM

LoL yeah, I totally wished death on this dumb band. That's EXACTLY what I meant in that statement and not that I wished they'd break up or go away or stop making music. (That's sarcasm since you have a hard time reading between the lines.)

How about you come meet me and we'll fight?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:11 PM

just got here, this is hilarious...

2:11 gets pwned and wants to fight...Failure in life and comment sections.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:18 PM

HAHAHA....2:11 wants to fight over a band he doesn't like...that's dedication...of being a tool!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:19 PM

Tell me where you want to meet and I'll meet you there. Bare fists and nothing more more. No chronies, nor chains, just our knuckles. You love your dumb Dog band so much? Prove it. I'll shut you up for good.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:21 PM

2:21 = FAIL....hahahaha! What a loser!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:33 PM

crowd surfing at a this show? really?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:37 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:40 PM

"... they appeal to the bro/hippie/frat boy crowd now ... Plus they are from Philly = worst city ever!"

Seems like this can be applied to Ween as well, no?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:02 PM

"Plus they are from Philly = worst city ever!"

Right, somebody should tell them, and everybody else who plays music elsewhere, that all good music has to come from Brooklyn. Or maybe Seattle or Portland. Certainly not West Philadelphia, the nerve.

Next thing you know everybody will be listening to a band from Cleveland, or worse, Pittsburgh.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:28 PM

I don't even see a dog in this band. That's so uncool of them.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:30 PM

somebody gets bent out of shape cause the comment was "this dog should be put to sleep". Stop watching the Sarah Mclachlan ASPCA ads you've got on a loop. If I said they slayed the crowd with an amazing performance, that means they committed mass murder?

Posted by white punks on slope (park) | February 21, 2011 3:32 PM

3:32....reading comprehension of a moron, logic of an imbecile. Good one brah!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:35 PM

Philly > Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:38 PM

"I used to love this band, but I think they took a turn for the worse with the latest record. AKA I am pissed that they play large venues now and that they appeal to the bro/hippie/frat boy crowd now. I missed when they would play the Bowery, Maxwell's,etc. Plus they are from Philly = worst city ever!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:40 PM "

classic "I liked them when.." statement. Drives me nuts. Be happy for them, they are reaching more people. Sorry that you find it shocking that you are not special and liking this band doesn't make you any more special.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:42 PM

Lives of voided misery channeled through vitrol and bloated false testosterone.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:44 PM

Philly's a great city (if you're cruising for some tight muscular man pussy.)

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:45 PM

3:44 - You don't sound intelligent or relevant...what's your angle?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 3:46 PM

My angle is that I don't give a shit, really. I'm an observer to all this bickering, and I summarized where it comes from.

Perhaps you are one of those whom I described, since my summation seemed to strike a nerve with you to provoke your type of response. What say you?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 4:14 PM

I say I forfeit my accusation then and bid you a pleasant day. My deepest apologies for the misinterpretation.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 4:16 PM

^ Likewise, mon ami. Merry Presidents' Day to you! No offense taken and no harm done.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 4:22 PM

I don't get why people wish other bands would stop making music. Can't you just, oh I dunno, ignore them? Not listen? Not click open reviews on blogs? Not go to the shows? I have never heard a Jonas Brothers song in my life and they were a hell of a lot more ubiquitous than Dr. Dog. It's not that hard.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 4:57 PM

Dr. MEH.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 5:29 PM

I liked them better when they played Brooklyn Bowl in front of 500 people.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 5:30 PM

I licked them better when, oh wait...

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 5:34 PM

these guys' music sounds nothing like the bands they think they're emulating/the image they try to cultivate

go away please

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 5:43 PM

This band is obviously trying to capitalize on the success of Mumford and Sons. Don't let them.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 6:40 PM

Doctor Dark.

Oh, wrong song. Wrong band (Beefheart).

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 10:08 PM

"this band" has been around for 10 years. Mumfart and Sons formed in 2007. capitalize on these nuts. both bands are good and this show was awesome. stupid f*cking internet.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 9:42 AM

It'd be nice for you to get out from Mom's basement every once and a while and actually attend a live show rather than sit and eat corn chips, listen to the lame Mumford and Sons record, and diss Dr.Dog without any actual frame of reference.

Posted by Gonzo | February 22, 2011 11:24 AM

"they appeal to the bro/hippie/frat boy crowd now"

this was ALWAYS true. i had the misfortune of seeing them open for dino jr like 3-4 years ago at webster hall and there was an ibanker in work attire literally fist pumping. these guys are not an "indie" band, as much as they dress themselves up to be/their managers promote them that way.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 2:26 PM

loved the show but the fans were overly annoying. I saw 2 girls carried out too wasted by 10pm and the rest of the crowd were falling over and running into me the entire time. I know T5 isn't the best venue to see a show but this was the worse I've seen it. Had to leave early.

Posted by srf530 | February 22, 2011 3:44 PM

oh bless these boys. they do try so very hard.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 5:31 PM

Cuntly douche!

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 5:38 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 10:02 PM

"Dr. Dog is one of the coolest bands playing live music today. I saw them do their entire album "easybeat" (recorded in 2005) as a medley in Boston at the 2nd night of two sold out shows at the Paradise. To diss their music is unbelievably dumb, as is comparing them to mumford and sons. Dr. Dog plays electric guitars. Mumford, not so much. And dr. Dog certainly doesn't portray themselves as indie, they really don't seem to care about labels at all - it's just good music. Nice pics!

"

YEA BITCHES!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 3:17 PM

Snarky snark snark SNARK!

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2011 3:02 PM

a) Dr Dog are nothing like Mumford and Sons
b) Mumford and Sons suck balls
c) If Dr Dog arent an indie band and you think they suck because they pose that way- Mumford and Sons actually aren't an indie band- theyre big record label business getting their hooves into the folk scene
d) Did I mention Mumford and Sons are awful

Posted by Will | February 27, 2011 1:05 PM

very great band go ahead

Posted by ahmedwahba | January 8, 2013 9:43 AM