Posted in music | pictures on February 9, 2011

photos by Chris La Putt

Gang of Four

"Mixing classic hits in amongst the new material, every song was a dance party and lead singer Joe King's stage presence is insane! He dances around like a mad man and then settles into a random spot on the stage where he'll sing for a few moments before moving on to the next location. Andy Gill played some guitar solos with the trademark Gang of Four feedback and though it was only 18 degrees outside, the inside of Webster Hall was scorching! During the song "He'd Send In The Army," Joe King smashed a microwave with an axe! It was pretty intense. After each song, King thanked the crowd in Spanish, saying "Gracias." Gracias backatcha for rocking Gang of Four!" [According to G]
Gang of Four (now with two original members) are on tour and played both Webster Hall and Letterman on Tuesday night. Pictures and the setlist from the NYC show and a (crappy) video (I'll update later if a better one gets posted) from the TV show, below...

Hollerado

He'd Send In The Army
Natural's Not In It
Damaged Goods

Encore 2:
At Home He's A Tourist
I Love A Man In A Uniform

that would be Jon King, not Joe King...not according to G.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 2:29 AM

More like Gang of Two, amiright???

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 7:21 AM

When people find out that I'm making hummus, I get a gang of 40 all crowding outside my door.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 7:34 AM

mad photo.

Posted by ch131 | February 9, 2011 8:01 AM

gang of two yes but the base player f'ing rocks!

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 8:39 AM

Gang of Four are one of my favorite bands.

But last night was a raging disappointment, it made me very sad. The new rhythm section didn't seem to be a great fit and don't have the tightness of the original guys. I'm fine with new members, but these guys specifically didn't bring it. The mix was all Andy Gill and Jon King, while amazingly animated, didn't sing well.

I found myself bored during some of my favorite tunes. It was a weird show, the whole time it felt like something was always missing. But everyone else there seemed to really like it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 9:04 AM

great show, a real barn burner.

I don't know what show "G" was at , but no microwave was smashed at Web Hall at last night-- that happened several years ago at the Irving Plaza.

When you make shit up it really impinges on your credibility as a reviewer. If you're thinking of doing this professionally you're off to a bad start.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 9:17 AM

Agree with 9:04 King just didn't have the voice last night. I could be wrong but they didn't do He'd Send In Army or Natural's Not In It.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 9:21 AM

encore's messed up.

Encore 1:
At Home He's A Tourist
I Love A Man In A Uniform

Encore 2:
????
Damaged Goods

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 9:35 AM

the new stuff actually sounds pretty good for a bunch of old dudes.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 9:42 AM

@9:17 So right. I thought I somehow ended up being terribly late after reading that review. No Microwave smashed when I was there. They did sound good, not great, unlike the 2005 shows where they were amazing. Missing Dave and Hugo immensely.

Posted by Fortyver | February 9, 2011 11:07 AM

without dave or hugo Go4 is just not the same and it's been proven on the recordings that are missing them and in their live shows. I saw Go4 back in the early 80's a few times and in 2005 and all the shows were beyond excellent but this was just mediocre and the setlist was missing some serious classics.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 11:43 AM

they were boring live in 2005

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 11:45 AM

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing them with us. I'd love to see them live if I can ever get the chance.

Posted by Jeff | February 9, 2011 11:53 AM

"G" doesn't know what they are talking about. Fake.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 12:28 PM

that site sux. inappropriate false data

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 1:18 PM

I saw them back in 2005 at Irving Plaza and in 1983 (also at Webster Hall - aka the Ritz at that time). The '05 show was beyond awesome; this was not quite as great but still about as good as '83. Also, I agree that review is inaccurate, as well as the setlist. I'm pretty sure they did NOT do He'd Send in the Army, and I'm pretty sure they did I Love a Man in Uniform as the FIRST encore and Damaged Goods as the LAST. I thought Poverty was the pinnacle of last night's show, along with Anthrax, but I'm just not wild about their live arrangement of We Live as We Dream, which is my favorite song of theirs. I would have enjoyed I Found That Essence Rare.

Posted by Jason | February 9, 2011 2:21 PM

I'm not so sure that setlist is accurate. I thought the first song of the first encore set was "I Love A Man In A Uniform". I had to leave early, and was walking out as they were finishing that song. Was curious what I missed, but the encore set(s) seem out of order. Anyone write down the actual order of the songs??

Posted by Holly | February 9, 2011 2:53 PM

It's hard to replicate the chemistry of a band where the members don't quite get along with each other.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 4:24 PM

i am their BIGGEST fan this side of the atlantic and i wouldn't caught dead in a gang of four show that doesn't contains dave allen on stage, period!

and to 11:45, common man, move to the LCD threads...

Posted by me | February 9, 2011 6:29 PM

That account is very off-base."g" site doesn't get it. Too bad.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 6:58 PM

The '05 Chicago GoF show I saw was the best concert I attended that year. Glad I saw them with the original line-up. Don't wanna see 'em with "hits" mixed with new material.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 7:00 PM

that 05 Irving Plaza show was filmed if I recall (at least two cameras). did anything ever come out of it? That was an amazing show.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2011 9:09 PM