Posted in books | music | tour dates on February 21, 2011

All Ages

AMP it up! East Coast All-ages Music Summit

Time: Saturday, February 26 · 5:00pm - 11:30pm
Location: The Rotunda, Philadelphia, PA

An evening of panels, speakers, training, networking and live music designed for staff, volunteers, allies, and fans of all-ages music venues and youth music organizations.

Hear what your peers around the region are doing, learn how we can take collective action to advance the field, and strengthen young people's access to the tools of participatory cultural production.

Help us celebrate the release of our book, "In Every Town: an all-ages music manualfesto!" Bands Slutever and SGNLS are performing and Ian MacKaye of Dischord Records/Fugazi/Minor Threat will offer a keynote."

In somewhat related news, Daniel Higgs kicks off that previously mentioned 'Happy Hour' residency at Zebulon in Brooklyn tonight (2/21). The full residency schedule is below...

DANIEL HIGGS "HAPPY HOUR: @ ZEBULON

Feb 21, 2011: DANIEL HIGGS + VORHEES + CARBONIC + TBA

Feb 22, 2011: DANIEL HIGGS + GUNN/TRUSCINSKI DUO + ELEVEN TWENTY NINE + MARCIA BASSETT/SAMARA LUBELSKI + MESSAGES

Feb 23, 2011: DANIEL HIGGS + HUBBLE + RANDOM CUTTING + TBA

Feb 24, 2011: DANIEL HIGGS +BROTHERS OF BRAZIL + DJ ALEXIS GEORGOPOULOS

Here's what to expect:

"Rawr rawr, I'm angry Ian MacKaye. I'm so DIY and anti-industry. I played in Minor Threat, Fugazi and now in a boring post-post-hardcore band with my wife. Rawr, rawr. Everything should be free. Don't sell merch of your band. I hate the music industry so much because I'm the only one who could never figure out how to make a dime off of it while my friend Henry Rollins did. Rawr. Angry."

As a bunch of fanboys circle jerk near the front of the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 11:43 AM

Make sure to ask Ian if he's still straight edge. He loves that.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 11:57 AM

Love all the music Ian has made (well, The Evens are kinda lame) but he comes off as pretty douchey every time I see him speak.

In theory all ages shows are nice, I certainly wouldn't listen to a lot of what I listen to now if I didn't go to punk shows when I was 15. As someone getting older though, fuck all ages shows. Can't stand being around obnoxious high schoolers.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 11:57 AM

^continue enjoying your nights at Music Hall of Williamsburg, you idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 11:58 AM

It's alright that you're angry, 11:58. You'll probably start to feel the same way when you turn 17.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:08 PM

Ian Mackaye is the fucking man. Fuck what all you shitty hipsters think.

@12:08 go listen to Wavves faggot

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:14 PM

Saw Ian speak in Metuchen a few years ago. Biggest ego ever - plus it did not help that you had people asking the dumbest fucking questions ever. I love when people ask if he will have a Minor Threat reunion. Fucking idiots..

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:14 PM

12:14, your use of the word faggot makes me think you're a high schooler too. I know you're bitter because you can't get into a lot of venues now, but you'll be 18 soon enough!

By the way, I don't think anyone over the age of 18 likes Wavves, but thanks for thinking you have some kind of idea as to what I listen to.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:18 PM

@ 12:18 hahahahaha I'm actually 22 and in college so I can get into venues just fine. Piss off and go listen to you're hipster garbage.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:21 PM

I actually love Ian Mackaye's music, but there's no denying he's a douchebag. Why don't you try and dig up the video of him yelling at a special needs kid for filming one of his sets? You're clueless.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:22 PM

Ian MacDonald's (trying on new attempts at sponsorship)

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:24 PM

Wow, some of you people sound douchier than what you describe Ian as. Big surprise there.

Someone should ask Ian what he thinks of these types of people that spew shit on BV and other blogs.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:24 PM

Who doesn't yell at special needs kids?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:31 PM

Well he did create a Frankenstein's monster. Straight Edge people are some of the HUGEST self important, judgemental folks period.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:35 PM

Ugh, Straight Edgers... Try telling one of them that abstaining from sex is part of the deal and they'll do a heck of a job trying to justify that getting a blowjob isn't breaking edge.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:40 PM

Apparently showering is breaking edge too.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:43 PM

Sorry Ian, but we've already got Todd P to champion the all ages cause in NYC, so unless you're playing a Fugazi show, you're not really needed here.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:56 PM

You people are the worst. I've met Ian and found him to be one of the nicest most down to earth people I've ever met. He's not angry at all and a total sweetheart.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 12:56 PM

"Why don't you try and dig up the video of him yelling at a special needs kid for filming one of his sets? " Why don't you back up your ridiculous story by providing us with a link to this imaginary video Professor?

Posted by Brian Farrelly | February 21, 2011 1:01 PM

I saw Ian at the Scissor Sisters show this past weekend scalping tickets to the LCD MSG show. We were invited to hang out with him afterward, but he said he needed to head up near MSG to sell some more LCD tickets. He never showed up to hang out afterward. Apparently he was really shaken up by a rogue group of hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:02 PM

ian mackaye is 50 yrs old. dosen't that all ages spiel seem a little creepy?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:16 PM

Dear haters,

Any way you look at it, Fugazi is better than you.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:23 PM

/\ lol so true. "Hey, c'mere little girls and boys..." *heavy nose breathing* "...I got something hardcore for you to feel."

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:23 PM

I'm sure Ian and other band members made out ok financially (more than a dime). Several Fugazi records sold over 100K copies, and they got a lot more profit off those since they owned the record company. Same deal as Ani Difranco. Rollins probably made more touring, but made less on record sales after he signed with a major.

Posted by white punks on slope (park) | February 21, 2011 1:24 PM

Don't really care what he has to say anymore unless he's announcing a Fugazi show or album.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:26 PM

I don't see anyway that Ian is not a millionaire. And good for him if he is... especially since last time I saw him he still was driving a beat up old Honda!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 1:33 PM

True till happyhour...

At least I was.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:43 PM

AMP is dumb. half the places listed are not even open anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:54 PM

Even if it's against their ethos, I still enjoy moshing with my buddies to Repeater.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 2:59 PM

I can't stand being around a bunch of aging hipsters who hate all-ages shows.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 5:36 PM

I would go to this, but I really hurt my back going stage diving last night, so I think I might see a chiropractor instead

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 5:54 PM

I met Ian Mackaye briefly in Athens, GA and he was one of the nicest people.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 9:01 PM

joe lally is living in poverty because fugazi won't reunite.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 9:17 PM

^ Lol, is that actually true? Sounds believable.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2011 10:10 PM

"Sorry Ian, but we've already got Todd P to champion the all ages cause in NYC"

haaahahahahahahaha.... I almost choked on my breakfast when I read this. To even mention Todd P and Ian in the same sentence is absurd. Ian finds chunks of guys like Todd P in his stool.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 9:41 AM

The guy has a right to be a douchebag ego maniac, he created an independant label that's stood on it's own feet for 20+ years all the while never being bought by a bigger company. Pretty impressive. Looks like a cool book.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 3:36 PM

Right on, @5:36 p.m.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 3:51 PM

Fugazi is all that matters here. Fuck the rest

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2011 5:45 PM

"I can't stand being around a bunch of aging hipsters who hate all-ages shows."

that is, until you are one of them.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:02 AM

God, there's just nothing you people won't bitch at. Everytime someone plays MSG, does a levis commercial you fall to pieces and then when they post an article about someone who has been completely uncompromising and maintained his integrity for years in the industry and you're still not satisfied. Okay, he has anger issues, but having to deal with yuppie pricks like you who can blame him?

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2011 10:55 AM

SGNLS rules!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2011 11:56 AM

Ian M is a saint

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2011 5:57 PM

^---- agreed! Ian is an absolute saint. My only complaint is that he has kept so quiet over the last few years. We need Ian more than ever right now.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2011 6:35 PM

I had the opportunity to meet Ian at Dischord house in 1981-82. Back then there were so few punks and we all knew each other. Look - Ian is a righteous soul who is worth more than 90% of you
. The truth is he got rich by NOT exploiting others. I put on a Minor Threat show in 83 in Milwaukee. Ian got paid 140.00. Not enough to cover their gas I bet.

Posted by Jason Malle | August 24, 2011 8:35 PM

For those joking about Ian and money...just fyi he's worth $25 million dollars.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2011 7:12 PM

Ian mackaye's net worth is $25 million. Look it up at celebrity net worth. So I would say he's doing things right.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2012 3:10 AM

For the people referring to Ian Mckaye's net worth by citing "Celebrity Networth", that websiste is a scam. They make up some random shit, elevate the site's position on google and use their hit count, which is based on bullshit, to sell advertising. Unless a musician makes his tax returns public, nobody knows their net worth and while Mckaye has done very well for himself I am sure, the chances of him having that much money without doing licensing deals, fugazi merch, or getting involved with big business music conglomerates, are very slim. For example, MCA, who's net worth was actually made public because of legal hearings involving his estate, was about 6 million. Also consider the fact that Dischord always sells material for as cheap as possible while maintaining a reasonable profit margin and you will see that if Ian has anywhere near 10 million, much less 25, it would most likely come from somewhere else. This is all speculation, I don't actually know but one thing I can tell you is neither does "celebrity net worth."

Posted by jesse | August 11, 2012 10:41 AM

Fugazi sold in excess of 2 million records. Ian MacKaye was a primary songwriter and one of the owners of Fugazi's record label. I'm dead certain that Ian MacKaye is at least a millionaire.

Posted by Dave | August 11, 2012 11:12 AM

And yet another post that ends up calling people names because of their contradictory beliefs or interests.

Posted by Shannon Leigh | January 2, 2013 2:36 PM

Ian Thomas Garner Mackaye is an American singer, songwriter, musician, businessman and producer with a net worth of $25 million.

Posted by lela | August 29, 2013 10:06 AM