Posted in music | tour dates on February 3, 2011

Okkervil River

This sums it up:

On June 7, Okkervil River will take the stage at Terminal 5, the largest NYC venue the band has ever played, in support of their highly anticipated new album, 'I Am Very Far' (out May 10, JAGJAGUWAR).

On February 8, Okkervil River will release 'Mermaid,' a new 12" single featuring two b-sides from 'I Am Very Far'.

Terminal 5 is the first of many worldwide tour dates to be announced in support of 'I Am Very Far,' the band's first album in three years.

Stay tuned for more info on that Terminal 5 show, including tickets. The band recently debuted a new song on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. Video of that, with more album and single details., below...

"Wake And Be Fine"

I Am Very Far features eleven new songs produced and arranged by frontman Will Sheff, at a variety of locations including Austin, New York City, and Connecticut.

The album features the group's largest musical palette to date. In addition to a string and horn section, choral and orchestral arrangements, Sheff recorded file cabinets thrown across a room, a solo created out of a fast-forwarding and rewinding boombox, and much more. In contrast to the band's usual practice of holing up in one studio for months on end, Sheff opted for a series of short high-intensity sessions with a larger band in various studios. Sessions would, at times, find over a dozen musicians performing in a single room. "The goal was to push my brain to places it didn't want to go" explains Sheff.

an we all boycott T5 once to send a message? can a a band like OR say no to the payday? i'm a fan, but I won't be going. webster hall would be perfect for them.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:36 PM

I'm sorry but I don't get all the Terminal 5 hating - I've enjoyed some great shows there and I haven't had many complaints about the sound. Does everyone who comments on this website really have such discerning ears or is it just fashionable to complain about T5?

I generally prefer T5 for a show like Okkervil River over Webster Hall - where the band has to compete with the house music coming up through the floor from the club downstairs.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:40 PM

They played webster twice. Once is not enough, and two was too many. A band has to play Terminal 5. They have no choice at a point. The place is a piece of shit, but thats how the bands evolve nowadays.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:41 PM

I wouldn't mind the Beacon Theater instead. Don't need to stand.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:44 PM

Agreed that T5 sound is not as bad as reported on this blog, however I have been in a situation where you get amazing sound when you are in one spot, then move three feet over and it's complete crap. So, yeah, not so sure. What I think will suck about a T5 show will be all the chatter from Dbags that bring women who get won over by a sensitive dude singing songs. All in the name of an easy lay.

Posted by BLG | February 3, 2011 4:44 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:45 PM

How does this band draw a crowd big enough for T5? They are so boring... live and on record. #confused

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:53 PM

T5 is only acceptable in something like 15% of the room. Otherwise you will be complaining in comment sections.

Posted by anonymous2 | February 3, 2011 4:54 PM

Where did bands play before terminal 5? I can't recall.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:55 PM

I don't think it's the sound of T5, as much as the angle of the floor. If you aren't tall, you can't see shit in the back.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 4:57 PM

okkervil killer!

Posted by anon | February 3, 2011 5:04 PM

On June 7, Okkervil River will take the stage at Terminal 5, the shittiest NYC venue the band has ever played, in support of their highly anticipated new album, 'I Am Very Far' (out May 10, JAGJAGUWAR).

Fixed.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 5:06 PM

Seriously. This venue has got to go.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 5:09 PM

before T5 we would get bands playing more nights in better venues. now we get 1 night in a warehouse with no sightline, in the middle of nowhere, hit or miss sound, oversold....

eventually people will get tired of it and it will close. I know plenty of people who refuse to go there again. I'm leaning that way myself. I'd see okkervil river pretty much anywhere but there.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 5:16 PM

Is the Nokia underused, larger, or just shittier...I can't recall...I think its Best Buy now...thoughts?

Posted by BLG | February 3, 2011 5:21 PM

I don't have a problem with the view at T5, it is the terrible sound that I have a problem with.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 5:23 PM

they played there before, just not headlining. (opening for Levon Helm)

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 5:25 PM

Other than some weird angles, count me in with the "I'm ok with T5" camp.

BLG/5:21: Nokia is used enough, smaller, and the only shitty part about it is that it IS now named the Best Buy Theater (which I refuse to call it).

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 5:26 PM

Posted by BLG | February 3, 2011 5:47 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 6:03 PM

There are sweet spots at T5, but the more people know about them the earlier you have to line up to run for them, and if you're not in a sweet spot you are damned. Bad sight, horrific sound. Anyone who doesn't have a problem with T5 has just lucked out with where they ended up. I would love an audience/band ban on this place, especially since it really does have a capacity that is just right for certain bands and doesn't have to end shows early to avoid ambient dance party noise like Webster.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 6:28 PM

They are great, but I can't imagine this selling out. Shit, that Levon Helm show didn't even sell out, and there's no way the support act will be in either of those band's league. Aside from that venue eating cock, I just don't want to see them go somewhere terrible, and only get to an embarrassing, partial capacity.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 7:30 PM

I've been to T5 numerous times. T5 is great*

*as long as you don't have to piss. This also means that if the show starts at 8 you have to show up at 6 PM (after taking a cab, or walking halfway across the city, because there are no subways anywhere near there) and stand on line for an hour, and then stand up front for an hour before the show starts. If you do have to piss, good luck.
Also they have bathroom attendants. Bathroom attendants are one group of people I absolutely loathe. Sure I love a clean bathroom. Who doesn't? But the last time I checked, I was perfectly capable of grabbing my own paper towel and drying my hands. I should not have to tip someone a dollar every time I need to take an fucking leak. And no, I don't want a fucking lollipop that is sitting on a tray in the bathroom. That is fucking disgusting.

If you get there late, good luck. You're either going to be looking over someone's shoulder on the balcony down into the thunderdome, or standing under the ceiling by the entrance where you can't even see half of the stage, and the sound is abyssmal, or behind the main bar which has terrible sound and no view.

But (if you get there early, and never have to piss, and don't mind standing in the same place for four hours) terminal 5 is an awesome venue.

Posted by The Mighty KC | February 3, 2011 7:43 PM

Grinderman sounded great at Nokia/BB Theater. Warren Ellis' guitar/samples sounded just as meaty as on the album, which is a good thing. T5 has bad sound.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 8:26 PM

"And no, I don't want a fucking lollipop that is sitting on a tray in the bathroom. That is fucking disgusting."

best comment on bv in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 8:36 PM

The Mighty KC speaks the truth. This show won't sell out anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 8:42 PM

Anyone go to the midnight show they played at The Knitting Factory around the Black Sheep Boy days? One of the best shows I have ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 8:53 PM

Let the Mighty KC's comment be linked to all further discussions about how shitty terminal 5 is.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 9:24 PM

The best BV comment in a while was 4:32 from this Black Keys post:http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/02/the_black_keys_16.html#comments

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 9:37 PM

Anyone see them at the Bell House a year or two back? That was really terrific. I think I'm going to have to give T5 a try, sadly.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2011 9:45 PM

"Is that Carl Newman playing wit Okkervil River? Seems like it might be worth a mention."

Come on now...do you actually expect the people who run this blog to know anything about music?

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2011 12:05 AM

"Where did bands play before terminal 5? I can't recall."

roseland/hammerstein.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2011 12:48 AM

"I love that someone would refuse to call it the Best Buy Theater in lieu of calling it the Nokia Theater."

Cool. Love taken. I got used to calling it Nokia Theater. Besides who can say it sounds any worse than "Best Buy" Theater. Ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2011 11:06 AM

"5:26: That is what I thought, I was only at Nokia years ago to see the Pogues, and I missed Grinderman this year. I remember it being a good place. It is a shame it is not used for better acts, only >900 seats than T5. It should be a viable option for acts, but I guess it is not a part of the Bowery monopoly."

That last sentence is a good point. It's a nice coincidence, but you notice the amount of Bowery events being covered here (not a complaint, an observation).

Grinderman - Great show. You would've enjoyed it for sure.

Pogues - Would go see them at T5, but too pricey for me right now ($65!).

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2011 11:11 AM

Also, Motorhead is playing there! Seems a bit small for them, considering how LOUD they are and the fact that the last 2 times I've seen them were at the much roomier Roseland Ballroom.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2011 11:34 AM

"(after taking a cab, or walking halfway across the city, because there are no subways anywhere near there)

Not much for a fifteen-minute stroll, KC? Ever heard of the red or blue subway lines?

Many things about Turd5 blow, but getting there is not one of them.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2011 3:18 PM

That's also why people hate Europa. Pain in the ass to get there.

Myself, I don't mind walking a little while (you know, exercise and fresh air) to get to a venue.

In fact, I'd like to see the names of some venues in the city that are not hated. Anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2011 4:25 PM

I dunno. I hate T5 because it feels cold, soulless, and corporate. Wasn't it recently named the most profitable music venue in the world (something like that)? Says a lot. Just pack people in and make money.

Posted by Cuse | February 4, 2011 7:37 PM

"Wasn't it recently named the most profitable music venue in the world (something like that)?"

Huh? Where did you hear that?

"It just makes me feel like I'm in a club in Europe. Which is fine if you're seeing electronic type stuff."

Haha, that can't be all THAT bad :D