Posted in music | tour dates on February 23, 2011

Trey

Trey Anastasio played a 2-set + 1 encore show at Terminal 5 in NYC last night (2/22). Video of his second-set closing cover of "Empire State of Mind" and the full setlist is below with a new set of Phish dates that were announced today....

Trey Anastasio Band - Empire State Of Mind - 2/22/11 - Term5 , NYC

Trey Anastasio Band, Tuesday, 02/22/2011
Terminal 5, New York, NY

Set 1: Down with Disease, Wolfman's Brother, Theme From the Bottom, Camel Walk, Kill Devil Falls, Meatstick, Halley's Comet > Bouncing Around the Room, Cavern, Prince Caspian, Limb By Limb, Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Heavy Things, Peggy, Hey Ya

Set 2: In the Wee Wee Hours, Valentine, Ocelot, It Makes No Difference, Gotta Jibboo, Burlap Sack and Pumps, Clint Eastwood, Cayman Review, Sand, Sweet and Dandy, Burn That Bridge, My Problem Right There, Tuesday, First Tube > Empire State of Mind

Encore: Sultans of Swing

Notes: The first set was Trey solo acoustic excepting "Wading" (with Jen and Natalie), "Heavy Things, "Peggy" and "Hey Ya" (full TAB with Trey on acoustic). The second set and encore was electric TAB. "Down with Disease," "Meatstick," "My Problem Right There" and the cover of Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" were all TAB debuts. "Camel Walk" was dedicated to Fishman, included a "going downtown to Morocco" alternate lyric and was noted to be "the shortest version of that song ever." "Cavern" included the alternate "bitch" / "dung" lyrics. "Jibboo" included a "Streets of Cairo" tease. After "Burn That Bridge" Trey noted the song's co-author, Amanda Green, and the "Hands on a Hard Body" play for which the song was written.

Phish Summer 2011 Tour from Phish on Vimeo.

Phish - 2011 Tour Dates
6/19/11 Ntelos Pavilion at Harbor Center, Portsmouth, VA- +
* $60.00 Reserved, $45.00 GA Lawn
** $60.00 GA Pit , Reserved $45.00 GA Lawn
*** $60.00 Reserved Seating $45.00 GA Lawn
**** $60.00 GA Pit , Reserved $45.00 Reserved, GA Lawn
+ $60.00 General Admission

"A limited number of tickets for the upcoming Phish shows are now being offered through our secure online ticketing system via a ticket request period."

hippies

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:09 AM

Anyone who makes disparaging comments about Phish shows is uninformed and wrong.

Yes, there are a plethora of freaky-hippie kids at the shows, but it's difficult to find a better live music experience.

Posted by Dan | February 23, 2011 11:10 AM

I heard Fire Dept came into T5....was told it was over capacity?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:10 AM

put down the pita, cut yer hair, and get a job.

gotta jiboo jam was pretty crazy tho.

Posted by knowYERbassGODZ | February 23, 2011 11:12 AM

darling don't you go and cut your hair.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:13 AM

"it's difficult to find a better live music experience. "

no it's not, LCD Soundsytem are playing five nights in a few weeks

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:14 AM

wooks

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:17 AM

It's 2011, and people still listen to this utter sheaaate?!

I'd smack my kid silly if I found out they listened to this garbage.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:25 AM

^ Anastasio been touring since 1983...pretell what artist deo you listen to who has been around this long and still has a relatively young following?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:28 AM

i was there........and lcd is great live but its no phish. I'd put trey and TAB on par with LCD put phish wins that battle 10 times outta 10

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:35 AM

I love Phish. I try to check them out at least one time each tour, but they are money whores. You can argue that the ticket price for their shows are a lot more reasonable than other mainstream acts and they put on an incredible light show with varied setlists from show to show with incredible musicianship, etc. They're still very whorish! The amount of merchandise they push on their cult-like phans is pretty pathetic! Trey solo is a snoozefest.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:35 AM

Curious to see who still remembers LCD Soundsystem five years from now, let alone twenty.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:36 AM

Covering The Gorillaz, Jay Z and Outkast doesn't give you street cred.... sorry! Actually it's sounds a little sad!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:36 AM

You down with OPP?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:40 AM

Also, covering 'Big Willie Style' was not clever nor funny in th eleast bit. Any Phish fans who thought this was "cool", pretty much need to slowly and silently back out of the room.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:43 AM

"it's difficult to find a better live music experience. "

no it's not

Posted by broseph campbell | February 23, 2011 11:44 AM

"what artist deo you listen to who has been around this long and still has a relatively young following?"

The dude who preps my DUNKACCINO every damn morning is (1) an artiste and (2) has been in the game for many a year. Sip on THAT, son...and be careful not to burn your tongue!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:45 AM

yea.....trey needs street cred..riiiight Biggest live act of all time..starvin for street cred

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:51 AM

^Hippies always forget about James Brown.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:55 AM

james brown, he's dead bro.....good talk

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 11:58 AM

James Brown = hardest working man in showbusiness (R.I.P.)

Trey Anastasio = stinkingest corporate neo-hippie in ???

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 12:04 PM

Blah Blah Blah , Meh Meh Meh,

Hummus

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 12:17 PM

Trey covering Dire Straits, ok. Trey covering Jay Z and Andre 3000, pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 12:21 PM

Only 23 comments? C'mon people, you all know how to do the Phish shitstorm! And a one and a two...

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 12:28 PM

Phish & Jay Z - keyspan park, June 2004. "99 Problems"
Search that shit. It was fucking bananas.

Posted by Gone Gardens | February 23, 2011 12:35 PM

if you don't like phish don't listen to them and dont go to their shows save the tix for us, but if you are one of the lucky's that do... that 99 problems is off the walls also check out gettin jiggy with it

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:02 PM

show was amazing. the cover songs are trey having fun to the geniuses knocking them.
Terminal 5 however though is the WORST venue in nyc. hands down.

Posted by Jordan | February 23, 2011 1:02 PM

nitrous fucking mafia

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:05 PM

"And for those thinking that Phish and LCD are the two best live acts. You really should get out more often." Was out last night, hence my comment. Who ya got?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:16 PM

I'm going to buy all the tickets and scalp them as a fan of LCD Soundsystem as a means to get back at the world for punishing us LCD Soundsystem fans for the scalper debacle and having to buy tickets overpriced on StubHub I WILL NEVER GET OVER THIS

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:16 PM

Trey's version of Stemmen Fra TÃ¥rnet
was epic.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:17 PM

The hippie teacher from Beavis & Butthead was based on this guy, right?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:19 PM

who's tray?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:21 PM

OH THATS EASY, THE UNTZ IS THAT FEELING YOU GET WHEN BROWNIE DROPS THE BOMBS LIKE NAPALM ON YOUR GROOVE JUNGLE AKA SOUL, MANGS CHILLS TO THE SIDE WITH THE SWANG DIP SWANG DIP SWANG DIP, A BUNKER BOMB TO YOUR DEEMSTER TRENCH AKA MINDS EYE. ALAN CHILLS IN THE BACK WITH THE TSKA TSKA TSKA, A GROOVE MISSLE SET ON B'GOCK, AND BARBS BRINGS IT ALL BACK HOME WITH THE DEEDLE DE DEE DEEDLE DE DEE, A PSYCHIC BREAKDOWN MINE, HIDDEN IN THE TRANCE PASTURE, BLOWING OPEN YOUR BISCO CHAKRA, THAT IS THE UNTZ.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:21 PM

Crackheads like Phish?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:24 PM

Why is Terminal 5 always brought up as the worst venue in the city? Because you can't do daft punk coke in the bathrooms?

Posted by Justin | February 23, 2011 1:36 PM

^ugh

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 1:40 PM

^ ugher Josh Ritter there was PRETTY GOOD, the sound was nice, the only problem was the awful placement of the bathrooms.

Posted by Justin | February 23, 2011 1:42 PM

are the two dudes in the picture a couple? they look gay.

Posted by gay dar | February 23, 2011 1:51 PM

I was at this show last night... I guess something happened with them opening the doors on time (or something), but there was a line of over 1000 people (at least) that went across the street, down to the West Side Highway and then wrapped around the block. All in it took about 40 minutes to get inside, and the place was PACKED when I got in there.... and there were definitely hundreds of people still waiting outside. Every single floor was packed to the brim. I don't know if that's true about the fire department being there, but I would believe it.

But all I could think about the entire time I was on line was that, "Wow, most of these people have hard tickets.... I can't even IMAGINE how long it's going to take to get everyone into those LCD shows." Don't forget your flasks and one-hitters for that line, kids!!

Posted by El Duderino | February 23, 2011 2:40 PM

In response to anon 11:14, I have tickets for LCD at both MSG and one of the T5 cases. In fact, I've already seen LCD 5-6 times, and I agree that LCD are a great live band.

Phish are also a great live band.

Posted by Dan | February 23, 2011 2:54 PM

Terminal 5 fucking blows,

someone please light a fucking match and burn that place down!!!!!!!!

Posted by Stereoslut | February 23, 2011 2:58 PM

They should just call it the TGB. Trey Garcia Band.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 3:21 PM

At 1:16 "Who ya got?"

Well lets see just in the past 2 months I've seen several live acts that have put on sets just as good if not better in my opinion than Phish. I'm just a fan of music regardless of genre. Here's a few

Pendulum
Primus
Health
Trail of Dead
Underworld
Prince

Trey's voice is not good or unique and nary one of the covers they have done have been better than the original. Why keep doing covers then?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 3:32 PM

It's now impossible to respect Jay Z.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 3:42 PM

3:32 -im who ya got? I was at TOD, health and prince. Prince and Primus are always solid live. TOD has been sh*t after worlds apart and the new stuff was meh. I have underworld and Pendulum to go. Healths disco2 is decent but live???really??? they are a mess. LCD's older shows at bowery, MHOW or studio B blow that sh*t out of the water and the Phish new years run was insane. Hands down better then any of the acts you mentioned that ive seen. And about "getting out" if u add about 20 shows on top of those over the past cple months its where im at. Including Ozzy,thursday, foals, tame impala, the sword and maserati to name a cple-some of them sucked but TAB wasnt one of them. The point of all this is that Phish on point live is better then 99% of bands out ther eon their best day-RANT

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 4:37 PM

Ok well then 4:37 you have your answer. All of the bands you and i named here have various gifts and unique qualities respective in their own genre but the facts still remain: Primus has a better drummer and a better bassist than phish. Health has more edge in their live shows with more of a range of styles displayed. Prince is a pop and funk legend. Trail of dead rocks harder than Phish. Pendululum has more edge and rocks harder than Phish with a singer that can actually hit notes. Underworld has a better light show with a lead vocalist that has more energy and pizzazz than Trey not to mention better vocals. Still think Phish is in the 99 percentile? Please explain? I would like to know in what aspects do phish trump other bands besides the parts when they are free form jamming once or twice during each show while the rest of the sets are filled with cheesy dumb ass lyrics that to me personally dont add anything to the music.

All of the bands I named also write songs that are structured and would not be mistaken for elevator music or smooth jazz as well.

Of course there are more bands to discuss. I was at Foals, Tame Impala, Interpol, Friendly Fires,Headless Horseman,Blood Orange, Das Racist,the list goes on in the past few months. I didn't mention any aspects of those bands being better than phish even though some of them are, All im saying is that to be in the 99th percentile there have to be various ways that a phish show trumps all the others. Please explain.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 5:33 PM

Interpol live are NOT better than Phish live.

Posted by Dan | February 23, 2011 5:37 PM

No of course not never said that but me personally my ears prefer Paul Banks' unique voice to Trey's weak voice. In that aspect to me they are better. Plus Interpol writes better ballads as a band in my opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 5:43 PM

PHUCK PHISH.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 5:45 PM

I didn't go to any of those shows. I suck, sorry, you fellas keep writing about how awesome you are. I won't interfere.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 5:47 PM

I totally agree 5:43.

I prefer listening to Interpol (first 2 albums) WAAAYY more than Phish. Actually, I don't even listen to Phish. Phish are not on my iPod. I just go to Phish shows because they are awesome live.

Posted by Dan | February 23, 2011 7:22 PM

Not gonna lie, i am pretty awesome but....5:33, sorry man -will have to agree to disagree. Some people "get it" and some people dont and thats fine. I do however feel slightly bad for you though cause if you do get it then Phish shows will melt ypur face off. I will agree with you that Trey isnt the best singer, dont think anyone would argue otherwise, and claypool is a freak show on the bass. What i will say though is that although some of your points are merited, your not goin to see 1 guy do 1 thing at a phish show, you are goin to see a band and IMO they are the best touring band around today....especially on acid

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 7:34 PM

i like and get phish, you don't, im over it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2011 8:17 PM