Posted in metal | music | pictures on March 26, 2011

by BBG

Off

Heavy music fans! If TONIGHT (3/26) in NYC isn't reserved for Hull/Horseback/Batillus/Caltrop at The Studio at Webster Hall (tickets), Sick Of It All/Snapcase at a sold-out Webster Hall, or Nunslaughter/Disma at Acheron, then you're more than likely heading out to see Off! with Trash Talk at Santos Party House. Tickets are still available.

Off! & Trash Talk both appeared at the Vans SXSW showcase at Emo's on 3/16, alongside Bad Brains, Talib Kweli, and Black Lips. Meanwhile on the other stage, Housecore Records was leading a southern metal charge with appearances from Arson Anthem (with Mike of Eyehategod, Phil of Down/Pantera, but no Hank III), Haarp (who were incredible), Warbeast, Skrew, and others. Pictures from both stages are in this post and continue below...

Skrew

Arson Anthem

Arson Anthem

Arson Anthem

Arson Anthem

WAS IT BETTER BEFORE THINGS STARTED BEING SO FRIENDLY? - DAVID SANDERSON

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2011 1:54 PM

i need an AA show in NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2011 1:59 PM

Hey, what about Naam, Atomic Bitchwax and Quest for Fire???

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2011 3:05 PM

^ yeah, what about those three shitty bands?

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2011 3:40 PM

wow...trash talk...

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 12:07 AM

OFF! was insanity. Fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 2:15 AM

BBG, you ever think about bringing back Short Wave Warfare

Posted by BBG FAN | March 27, 2011 7:35 AM

^?

Oh, and I hate Phil Anselmo and his ugly guitar faces!

Posted by BBG FAN | March 27, 2011 7:36 AM

Trash Talk still suck.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 9:19 AM

Yikes...isn't that a red white power tattoo on the left hand of the lead singer of Skrew in the 2nd and 3rd photos.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 10:43 AM

^ it's an upside-down peace sign, dork. about 600 bands use it in their logo, including trash talk, who have two black members.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 10:59 AM

oh wait - you must have a really short attention span. you can see trash talk's logo and black band members about 4 more pictures down...

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 11:01 AM

I'm not saying the dude is racist but that is not an upside down peace sign.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 1:40 PM

^I'm not saying you're an idiot, but... no, actually I am. You think that it isn't a peace sign - rub your eyes and try again. You think that a white-power band would name themselves "Skrew" (and not be called out for it) and would be invited to a festival here. Let me guess - you're 14? 15?

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 2:42 PM

^I'm not saying you're a jackass, but...no actually I am. Rub YOUR eyes. A peace sign is usually enclosed in a circle...like the very same Trash Talk logo you keep mentioning. You ever heard of the "tree of life" symbol dude? Oh...probably not because you're Mr. Think You Know It All Hardcore Asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 7:08 PM

that dude has some celtic white power tattoo but its not white power if he doesnt know what it means.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 8:36 PM

It's silly to get tattoos without researching and considering their meaning. But it could always be a case of previous beliefs he no longer feels. One thing about tattoos is they're permanent.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 10:09 PM

phil anselmo fuckin it up in the pit

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 10:56 PM

Heavy metal rules! All that punk shit sucks! It doesn't belong on this planet, man. It belongs on fucking Mars!

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2011 11:37 PM

Ty from SKREW here. We appreciate press, sincerely. I'm well aware of what my tattoos mean. As what they mean to me is the only true significance at all. They have nothing to do with racism, peace, or the negation thereof. Except maybe inner peace. The symbols on my hands are runes. Sure, "racist" organizations have aligned themselves with ancient occultism and its symbolism for a long time now. I also have an Egyptian scarab tattooed on my throat, a Sumerian/Greek owl on my hand, and a Tibetan demon on my head. So, I hope that "at least" clears the air of any negative speculation about this stuff. Throwing around that kind of energy is dangerous for everyone involved. It's not good for the soul, and I suggest that anyone that chooses to create such atmospheres to think twice before doing so. In the end we make our own bed.
Take care...

Posted by VSYR | March 28, 2011 4:49 AM

i have a walt jabsco tattoo. am i racist?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2011 8:37 AM

Runes and Celtic symbols existed before "White Power" boneheads started using them. Sometimes runes actually just represent a letter of the alphabet. Before looking for conspiracies everywhere, think about context. Would this band have been playing a bill with OFF! and Trash Talk if they were racist?

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2011 9:06 AM

(and bad brains)

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2011 9:24 AM

that's what I (10:59) was originally trying to say - other posters took it up after me - but i misinterpreted the lack of a circle and thought it was upside-down peace. in any case, the point was that throwing around a 'yikes, he's a racist' comment is stupid and dangerous.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2011 9:37 AM

the destroyer666 shirt certainly doesn't help the case against racism.

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2011 2:58 PM

oy. everyone cares about supposed racisms, but no one cares about general anti-christianisms

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2011 3:21 PM

My name is Adam Grossman and I'm the founding member and guitar player of SKREW. In addition to the aforementioned, I am the offspring of two families who both moved to the US to avoid the anti-semitic culture of the Ukraine around the turn of the last century. While I don't practice judaism (in fact, I find the entire idea of worshiping iron age fairy tales ridiculous) I don't have anything to do with racists or fascists. I prefer thinking people. The runes being discussed in this thread are of ancient proto-norse origin. Look it up. These and other symbols have been hijacked time and again by different groups to represent different meanings, everyone knows where the swastika came from by this point in time, right? I guess the most important point that is being missed here is the idea of looking beyond the obvious. It's unfortunate that our culture has become so lazy. Awesome discussion, but don't forget it's your responsibility to do the research! RIOT!NOISE!RISE!

Posted by Adam | March 29, 2011 4:44 PM

you should get a bugs bunny tattoo then. Or how about one of them Grateful Dead bears? Then we wouldn't have to be so suspicious of you... just saying.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2011 4:53 PM

I think what really happened here is that the original poster got confused with something he once heard about "Skrewdriver". That will happen.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2011 5:00 PM

The tattoo is a rune called Algiz. It (like the Swastika) was around a long time before "white power" and this guy could have had it tattoo'd for a many, many different reasons.

A person becomes racist through their actions and not anyone's (mis)interpretation of their appearance.

In short, shut the fuck up and move on.

Posted by Karl | September 8, 2011 4:44 PM