Posted in music on March 13, 2011

OwsleyOwsleyOwsley

"Owsley "Bear" Stanley, a 1960s counterculture figure who flooded the flower power scene with LSD and was an early benefactor of the Grateful Dead, died in a car crash in his adopted home country of Australia on Sunday, his family said. He was believed to be 76.

The renegade grandson of a former governor of Kentucky, Stanley helped lay the foundation for the psychedelic era by producing more than a million doses of LSD at his labs in San Francisco's Bay Area.

"He made acid so pure and wonderful that people like Jimi Hendrix wrote hit songs about it and others named their band in its honor," former rock 'n' roll tour manager Sam Cutler wrote in his 2008 memoirs "You Can't Always Get What You Want."" [National Post]

Augustus Owsley Stanley III, was also the Grateful Dead's sound engineer for many years.
"Stanley designed some of the first high-fidelity sound systems for rock music, culminating in the massive "Wall of Sound" electrical amplification system used by the Grateful Dead in their live shows, at the time a highly innovative feat of engineering, and was involved with the founding of high-end musical instrument maker Alembic Inc and the pre-eminent concert sound equipment manufacturer Meyer Sound." [Wiki]
R.I.P. Bear.

The post fails to mention all of the innovations he made in live sound production, pretty remarkable.

Posted by Jag | March 13, 2011 6:46 PM

^^^ note that the last video is on that topic

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2011 6:51 PM

As influential on modern rock music as Elvis Presley and the Beatles.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2011 7:15 PM

why didnt the lifeguard save the drowning hippie?

cus they were too far out maaaaan..

but seriously RIP.

Posted by joel | March 13, 2011 7:31 PM

RIP Bear...see you on the other side!

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2011 7:45 PM

May he rest in peace. His place in history is firmly held.

Posted by Grateful Dead | March 13, 2011 7:53 PM

the KING of LSD25 right after albert hoffmann

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2011 9:45 PM

Rest in peace, sir.

Thank you BV, for posting this as I had no idea he had passed.

Posted by i want my daddy's records | March 13, 2011 10:03 PM

What a trip...

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2011 11:41 PM

Thank you...for a real good time!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2011 11:48 PM

take a deep one for the Bear
tonight
a breath to help him bring the curtain down-

i remember Lady Stardust
Larry staring through a camera
that had no film,
awakening
my first time.
sidewalk galaxies
faces in the tablecloth
graffiti faded messages
You Are Alive
I had been unaware

raise a toast to the Bear
tonight
for all the care
he channeled thru his hands.
nine fingers in the air
tonight
for more than a man
for more than a molecule

Posted by Tumbleweed | March 14, 2011 12:19 AM

No end of irony to have a publication named after rabid vegetarianism eulogize one of the most committed carnivores on the planet. Thanks for the chuckle, we need some smiles around here.

Posted by Starfinder | March 14, 2011 3:20 AM

Blue cheer

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 3:28 AM

i was lucky enough to actually gobble several doses of his wonderful potions. ;)

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 5:21 AM

Bears Passion has rippled through time washing over everyone who has had any contact with what he has pioneered.

Posted by dances w/light | March 14, 2011 6:05 AM

RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 7:53 AM

Best LSD I ever took, in 1991 I took about 5 hits of Owsley LSD that had been kept in a freezer for about 20 years. Miles above anything you could find now, beautiful.

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 9:45 AM

theres some really good paper goin' round. free your mental prison. SYF

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 10:19 AM

Beware the brown Calvins.

Posted by Cock'n Balz | March 14, 2011 12:09 PM

hippies mourn

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 12:13 PM

"theres some really good paper goin' round. free your mental prison. SYF"

There is some. But a lot of the Hoffman prints flooding the US at the moment originating in Eastern Europe aren't actually LSD. They are near-analogues that lend themselves to an easier experience less prone to grandiosity, mania, which can be good for some people, but when it comes down to it, it ain't LSD.

Refer here: Non-LSD ergoloids on blotter sold as "LSD" (GC/MS included)

registration to esotericpharma may be required to view the material.

Posted by Anonymoose | March 14, 2011 12:19 PM

the Todd P of his time

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 12:46 PM

good call 3:20, they talk about that meat diet in the grateful dead books i've read.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 12:46 PM

PRAYER FOR THE FAITHFUL DEPARTED

O gentlest heart of Jesus, ever present in the Blessed Sacrament, ever consumed with burning love for the poor captive souls in Purgatory, have mercy on the soul of Thy servant, Owsley Stanley III. Be not severe in Thy judgment, but let some drops of Thy Precious Blood fall upon our beloved departed brother and friend and do Thou, O merciful Savior, send Thy angels to conduct the soul of Thy servant to a place of refreshment and peace. Amen.

Posted by Cosmic Charlie (Alado-Bosch) | March 14, 2011 10:36 PM

O gentlest Heart of Jesus, ever present in the Blessed Sacrament,ever consumed with burning love for the poor captive souls in Purgatory, have mercy on the soul of Thy servant, Owsley (BEAR) Augustus Stanley III. Be not severe in Thy judgment, but let some drops of Thy Precious Blood fall upon our beloved departed brother and friend, and do Thou, O merciful Savior, send Thy angels to conduct the soul of Thy servant to a place of refreshment and peace. Amen.
Cosmic Charlie Alado-Bosch

Posted by Cosmic Charlie (Alado-Bosch) | March 14, 2011 10:42 PM

Now even the lost beyond all hope Charlie Sheen is donating to Japan. I knew he had it in him. x

Posted by Barkurs bloody stoli | March 15, 2011 3:10 PM

thanks for all your great gifts brother bear

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2011 1:29 PM

BV don't know about owsly, viva la jambands!

Posted by alexb | April 28, 2011 12:11 AM

This is a response I got from Bear after I emailed him about buying some of his sculptors and asked him some questions about sound equipment.
Bear's responses to my questions are in quotes.

R.I.P. Bear

Bear to me 9/10/07
Hi Bear,

Thanks for all of the info on pricing.

I have no doubt that everything you are offering is worth every penny, unfortunately it is way out of my price range at this time. I will be saving my money and hope to make a purchase from you some time in the future.

"I am not a jeweler, but a fine artist/sculptor. Fine art is not priced the same way as craft."

I just picked up Blair Jackson's book on Grateful Dead gear and was reading about you in there. I was wondering about the Altec speakers you were using for you guy's sound system. Do you still do any sound engineering?

"I still do sound. I never used Altec speakers for anything, except for that old Voice of the Theatre rig i had when I met the Dead. I used JBL for a while, until John Meyer began making speaker systems."

I work in a convention hotel and I get first dibs when they remove old audio equipment. So I have been piecing together different stuff for a few years just to see what it sounds like.

"LIke shit, is my guess. Why do you think they are getting rid of the stuff?"

I was just lucky enough to have somebody give me a pair of Lansing 604 coaxial loudspeakers and was wondering if you have any thoughts on how I might best use them.

"They could make great doorstops. Definitely conversation pieces. They sound so bad as to make one cringe, so don't hook them up to anything. Perhaps the highest level of intermodulation and THD of any speaker ever produced-- other than than the very similar EREI coaxials, which were palpably even more awful."

Cheers.

Bear

Posted by KaK | May 8, 2011 8:51 PM

BLUE CHEER
Owsley acid was the cleanest around. What Bear did was magick. He created a change borne out of his Mind and Will.

Posted by NikolaiTAN | May 17, 2011 1:28 PM