Posted in books | hiphop | music | tour dates on March 23, 2011

Havoc & Prodigy of Mobb Deep
Mobb Deep

"Three years away from the rap game is a potentially career killing lifetime for most rappers. For Prodigy, one half of the legendary New York mainstays Mobb Deep, the time off from rap has not been entirely fruitless as he's been officialy released from Mid-State Correctional Facility after serving a three-year prison stint.

In October 2006, Albert "Prodigy" Johnson was driving his SUV in New York City with longtime producer and friend Alan "The Alchemist" Maman and after making an illegal U-turn, his vehicle was searched by police. After finding a small pistol in a compartment, the pair were arrested and subsequently released on bond with pending charges." -[MTV News]

NYC hip hop greats Mobb Deep will celebrate Prodigy's return with a show at Best Buy Theater on May 12th featuring appearances from Ghostface Killah (wow), Raekwon (more wow), Black Thought & The Money Making Jam Boys, and DJ Stretch Armstrong among others. Tickets go on AmEx presale at noon today (3/23) and regular sale on Friday.

The NYC show comes less than a month after the release of Prodigy's autobiography entitled "My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy."...

"I've been in the music industry since I was sixteen years old, touring the world, selling millions of albums--groupies, drugs, alcohol, sex, radio, TV, magazines, videos, money, jewelry, cars, fashion, rap verses, beats, and studios at my disposal for seventeen years straight. Nonstop. I came to prison when I turned 33. The truth is, I never took the time to mature mentally until now, to step outside of my little fast-paced world and see what needed to be adjusted. It's like I was suspended in time. Like I was sixteen years old for seventeen years. I never grew up. My hardheaded ass took the long hard road to get to this point, but at least I've finally made it. I'm a man now." - Prodigy
You can also catch Prodigy in a bookstore near you in April. He'll be speaking at PowerHouse Arena in Brooklyn on April 20th.

In related news, Raekwon, who recently celebrated the release of his new LP at MHOW, will join The Lox, EPMD, Brand Nubian, and Nice & Smooth for a show at Best Buy Theater on April 13th as part of a "Salute to Hip Hop". Tickets are still available.

Mobb Deep recently dropped a new song produced by Alchemist, "Love Y'all More". Stream that, check out an interview with Alchemist, and some other videos below...

Mobb Deep - Love Y'all More

The VIBE House x SXSW 2011: Alchemist

Prodigy- keep it thoro

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Part II

Mobb Deep - GOD Pt.3

Mobb Deep - Quiet Storm

Mobb Deep will bitch-slap hipsters in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 11:22 AM

There's nothing "wow" about Raekwon as a live performer. He puts on a lazy and boring show. That album release party at MHOW was terrible. The brawl that happened near me was the most entertaining part.

That show with The Lox is going to be a mess, too. Those guys are great (on record), but I find it a little odd that theyre back to calling themselves The Lox again after recently releasing a shit-ton of mixtapes under D-Block.

Posted by GregBX | March 23, 2011 11:22 AM

No such thing as half way crooks...

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 11:26 AM

"There's nothing "wow" about Raekwon as a live performer."

Last time I saw Rae, the show was crazy...SO much energy and the crowd was having such a blast. But I overall agree with you as most hip-hop shows are underwhelming and never live up to my expectations.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 11:30 AM

The crowd having a blast doesnt mean the performer is doing well. Most people were blazed out of their minds or drunk at MHOW; of course they thought it was great. But there's nothing cool about doing one verse of a song, and then stopping (no matter how accepted it is in hip hop). Not using the people you have to full effect is a no-no too: he had Cappadonna and Inspectah Deck with him, yet they still cut out important parts of songs that feature all 3 of them.

When and where did you see him exactly?

Posted by GregBX | March 23, 2011 11:36 AM

I'm inclined to agree about raekwon. I've seen him 3 times (atp, rocl the bells, and santos) and only santos was worth a damn. There are, contrary to popular belief, a number of great live performers in the rap game. The Chef, however, isn't one of them.

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 12:02 PM

Basement of the Unitarian Church in Philly right when Cuban Linx II came out.

Rae played the Wu songs in full and most other songs too. Yes, there was a smatttering of one-verse medley nonsense, but it was awesome to hear some stuff played all the way through for a change.

When I said the crowd was having a blast, I mean they were fully pumped to see Rae in such a small venue and getting into every song! Great show, great vibe, great performance, and surprisingly great crowd!

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 12:07 PM

"My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy.""

Chapter 1: Prison Rape

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 2:02 PM

^For clarity's sake people, I am impressed more by the lineup than offering an individual evaluation of their live show.

Thanks for reading.

Posted by BBG | March 23, 2011 2:15 PM

call me back at the god hour

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2011 2:26 PM

Mobb Deep > any hip hop made in the past 3 years.

Posted by Anonymous | March 24, 2011 3:30 AM