Posted in music | venues on April 11, 2011

McCarren Park

It will look much prettier when they build a stage and stuff, but those asphalt softball fields are where Beirut is playing on June 17th (tickets) and Guided by Voices & Wavves are playing on June 18th (tickets). The "Open Space Alliance benefit shows" are both part of the 2012 Northside Festival for which you can also buy a badge.

Whether OSA has plans to use the 'McCarren Park' space on other dates this summer remains to be seen, but there have been rumors of OSA trying to "sponsor their own concert series ten blocks down" from a waterfront area that was being proposed for a controversial "Brooklyn Night Bazaar."

I'm assuming the OSA "concert series" is not the JellyNYC Williamsburg Waterfront Pool Parties which are probably not returning this summer after much controversy last year. That controversy was especially related to Jelly's relationship with OSA.

There will reportedly still be concerts at Williamsburg Waterfront again this year though, but probably not free ones. McCarren Pool meanwhile (Jelly's original free show location), also part of McCarren Park, is still being wasted I think.

Stay tuned for more updates on all of this.

yes i live 3 blocks from there. this will be awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 7:49 PM

pregame at 7:49's place. i'll bring the hummus!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 7:50 PM

I'll bring the coke!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 7:52 PM

kinda sucks about no pool parties this year. i like the waterfront, just wish someone else but jelly would book free shows there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 7:59 PM

Free shows are on the decline this summer...we got spoiled.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 8:03 PM

I have no problem with no free shows. You get what you pay for. Free shows are just a clusterfuck. Charging a few bucks keeps a lot of people out.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 8:08 PM

CALLED IT FUCKOS!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 8:13 PM

you guys are both invited.

Posted by 7:49 | April 11, 2011 8:25 PM

That place sucks. When they have the outdoor films there in the summer, it is so uncomfortable sitting on the pavement and the sound sucks. Well done live music in Williamsburg!

Posted by The Real Real Yup. PERIOD | April 11, 2011 8:30 PM

1) you won't be sitting down

2) they won't be using the same rinky dink sound system as they do for the movies

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 8:35 PM

Wher are you Chuck Schumer (oh, he has real issues to deal with now, not concerts).

The pool was the best place to have the outdoor shows. The natural slope of the pool made it great for sight lines.

Posted by The Mighty KC | April 11, 2011 8:41 PM

Globey wants to show you where the shows are...

Posted by The Mighty KC | April 11, 2011 8:43 PM

the "natural" slope of the manmade concrete hole.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 8:55 PM

Jelly NYC is pretty awful. I remember when they had all those issues about whether or not the last pool party would be canceled or not and Jelly just came off so smug and arrogant with comments like "we don't even like the pool parties anymore. They were started to support our really cool, artistic friends!"It was like music elitism at it's absolute worst.

Way to go jelly nyc. Have fun booking Andrew WK dj sets for the next year!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 8:57 PM

i only go to free shows in the summer

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:07 PM

The best thing about this new space:
1. Yet another outdoor venue where food is allowed to be eaten without security issues. (score 5 pita triangles)
2. The convenient proximity to Oasis Falafel joint on Bedford. (score 2 pita triangles)
3. The abundance of hummus eating girls all gathered in one location. (score 9 pita triangles)

So according to my tally, this place scores 16 pita triangles... Which is superior to summer stage which scores an impressive 14 pita triangles and clearly superior to terminal 5 which weighs in at a lowly 3 pita triangle score.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:14 PM

I have a job and lots of money so I have no use for free shows. I wish tickets to all shows were set at a $ 37.00 minimum to keep all of the scum out.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:22 PM

I MISS JELLY AND THEIR PLENTIFUL EXCUSES

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:33 PM

hopefully the security at the entrance of the ticketed waterfront shows won't be as thorough as they were at the free ones last summer. one of them threw away some of my superfine nugs from my bag last year... pretty well hidden too. little did she know i had a joint in my pocket, muhuhahah ;)

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:48 PM

williamsburg doesn't have a heart

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:48 PM

That sucks, 9:48. That's why you have to hide it in your butt.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:54 PM

If your really smart, hide it in the hummus platter.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:56 PM

Hummus is so 2010. 2011 is all about the pho.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 10:07 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 10:10 PM

"If you were really smart you'd have stopped smoking Weed when you realized it was a tool to keep you complacent and lazy. COCAAINNNNE"

If weed is a tool to keep you complacent, than coke is a tool to make sure bankers work longer and contribute to the underground economy that the USA government and elite are secretly profiting on. Also, have you ever watched what they put into cocaine? It's disgusting and scary, and I'm not even talking about the cut.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 10:15 PM

PUR COLUMBINE SHIZZ ONLY

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 10:16 PM

When u run out of weed and feel like smoking tree, bust open a can of Goya and load the pipe with chickpea. It's a decent buzz and will set your mind free, but beware of the habit, for many a man has fallen upon the knee and pleaded to get a hit of pea.

Posted by Herman the hummus poet | April 11, 2011 10:18 PM

My chickpeas are straight outta Mexico son.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 10:20 PM

gotta love the yay man

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 10:42 PM

Just got word that daft punk will be playing a show at McCarren as well.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 11:19 PM

come on, bv. that's not something to joke about.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 11:36 PM

I mean, where else would it be? The handball courts? This is not bad.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 11:36 PM

Agreed - No more free shows. Keep the scum out. Are they having shows at the waterfront anymore?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 11:43 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2011 9:22 PM

That's wonderful arrogant condo dweller.
It's just so unique the condo towers have brought to the neuvo burg waterfront. After all arent many of them by the bridge full of mold, chemicals from poor construction, and an identical hotel look.

Not a huge fan of those shows either, but you keep throwing your money away at 40 bucks a pop and let us know how special that is on the bands you know nothing about.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 2:04 AM

I guess my softball game is cancelled.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 8:32 AM

So nothing but for profit 'benefit' shows from OSA this summer? It's an improvement to have for profit shows on city land why?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 8:44 AM

I agree 8:44 - all shows should be free, regardless of venue or band. After all, the songs write themselves and the venues build themselves.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 8:53 AM

i will say anything to defend the status quo

Posted by the real 8:53 | April 12, 2011 9:08 AM

9:14, what is the max number of pita squares a venue can achieve? If you do not give an explanation of the rating system you analysis doe not hold water, much like Pitchfork's arbitrary rating system complete with decimal points.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 9:10 AM

Hold on now ... I'm confused. I always thought that pita bits only came in the triangular shape such as I enjoyed from my childhood in the Bedouin tents along the outskirts of the great desert. Now you are telling me that pita comes in squares? I am shocked, shocked to find out that my parents deprived me of such as this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 9:17 AM

I don't think this is so much a new space for music as much as the city is just growing The Northside Festival. I mean you didn't see other events in the park Northside took place in last year. These are just one offs for Northside. This is where The L Magazine does the Summerscreen free shows as well so it makes sense.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 9:27 AM

Any of you guys ever try chickpeas straight up outta the can? Kinda of hardcore, but gives you an instant rush.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 9:32 AM

I like to put chick peas into my popcorn popper and enjoy a toasted garbanzo treat!

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 9:37 AM

Talk about running a 'hummus' joke, or whatever you want to call it into the ground. I'm willing to bet posters are an average age of 22, and originally from the midwest. Cuz, posting on BV is so, so keeeeeewwwwl.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 9:54 AM

"Talk about running a 'hummus' joke, or whatever you want to call it into the ground. I'm willing to bet posters are an average age of 15, and originally from the midwest. Cuz, posting on BV is so, so keeeeeewwwwl."

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:03 AM

^ Yep.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:03 AM

LCD Soundsystem Reunion Show July 30th at the Waterfront.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:07 AM

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 2:04 AM
That's wonderful arrogant condo dweller.

Ha ha. If you need to believe that someone who can afford to pay for a show lives in a moldy condo and knows nothing about bands... well, sucks for you. Not for us, though. Since we only have to put up with this on internet comment sections, not at shows that cost money, so not any jerk can just walk in. Have a fun summer!

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:20 AM

After all, who's to say that you're post is really that necessary for the continuing functioning of New York City or the World?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:26 AM

"I'd be willing to bet that those who speculate on the age and location of posters on BV are desperately seeking some source of self esteem and feel the need to be seen as superior to something."

Absolutely. Seriously, what are these BV losers expecting to accomplish by that? It won't be much if at all, that's for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:33 AM

10:26, stay in Boise and don't move here. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:40 AM

I just wish that more venues would appear in Gowanas to permit easier access to southern Brooklyn. It really is a PITA if you don't live on a A, G, or L stop.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:42 AM

10:40 = troll

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:43 AM

buffalo

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 11:00 AM

10:07
Post Of The Day

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 11:15 AM

buffalo wings and ranch flavored hummus

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 11:24 AM

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 11:51 AM

'We really need something to compete with MSG based in Williamsburg. I don't want to have to go all the way into Manhattan if I wanna see The Strokes or LCD.'

i bet when the nets finish their stadium in downtown brooklyn it will become the alt msg and bowery will book the arcade fire and strokes and such there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 11:59 AM

LCD is gonna play there on 12/21/12

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 12:02 PM

^ I'm surprised that joke wasn't mentioned sooner.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 12:16 PM

"We really need something to compete with MSG based in Williamsburg. I don't want to have to go all the way into Manhattan if I wanna see The Strokes or LCD."

Are you fucking kidding me. Yeah, its SO inconvenient to spend 15-20 minutes on the subway to see a band you like (less if its Bowery or Webster). Your sloth is a large part of what is wrong with this demographic.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 12:18 PM

the first person was obviously being tongue in cheek.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 12:20 PM

I would just like to remind the BV community that we are not making "jokes" but simply expressing our fondness for the tan substance we all know and love.

Sincerely,
The Hummus Underground.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 2:36 PM

Two words. Three, if you count the first one. The Turkey's Nest. The to-go alcoholic beverages are the only way to fly. Heineken sucks. Get your beer at the Nest.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 10:13 PM

The worst part about the hummus jokes are the faux-serious ones you see every so often like 2:36. Ugh, douche chills abound.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2011 11:53 PM

Whereas the opinions range in scale from the billion dollar company to the life style enterprise,

Posted by Stuart Sackley | May 13, 2011 4:01 AM