Posted in music on April 25, 2011

Neil Young

"Guitar hero, acoustic balladeer, country bumpkin, grunge pioneer, electronic dabbler: Neil Young has played all these roles in his 45 year career. But at Avery Fisher Hall Sunday night - for the first of two sold-out shows - he melded two into something winningly rare.

Appearing alone, as he periodically does, Young roamed between acoustic and electric guitars, as well as piano, pipe organ, and harmonica. But the most interesting pieces found him mashing up two roles he usually keeps apart: solo performer and electric jammer. Some songs that Young might commonly have rendered as full-on band rave-ups with Crazy Horse, like "Ohio" or "Cortez The Killer," he delivered with just a lone, purposely distorted electric guitar." [Daily News]

Bert Jansch opened the show and he does again tonight (4/25). Last night's setlist below...

Neil Young Set List:
I Believe In You
Rumblin
Cortez The Killer
Cinnamon Girl
Walk With Me

Tags: Neil Young

Nice set list...Young RULES!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 9:51 AM

man i'm pissed i missed this... setlist looks great

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 9:51 AM

What time did he go on? 9pm?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 9:54 AM

went on at 9:15, played for 95 min.
a much much better show than his solo one at united palace a couple of years ago.
that one was quite mesmerizing.

Posted by me | April 25, 2011 9:58 AM

What a strong set!!!

Posted by The Real Real Yup. PERIOD | April 25, 2011 10:15 AM

yep

Posted by The Real Real Yep. PERIOD | April 25, 2011 10:18 AM

niiiice, CAN'T WAIT FOR TONIGHT!!! Yeahhhhh!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:23 AM

Cortez The Killer is a "rave-up"? Idiot Daily News writer.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:27 AM

Too short of a setlist for an overpriced show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:30 AM

The crowd was subdued for most of the show. It was odd being the only person singing along in my row and getting dirty looks for doing it. However, I thought the show was fantastic.

You don't go into this show expecting him to play all the songs the same or expect a full on hits review. Songs he changed a lot like "Cortez the Killer" might have been off-putting for purists but I thought the change was welcome. It was amazing to see a guy in his mid 60's fill the hall with such beautiful grungy atmospheric reverb and having a great time at it. We should all hope to be so lucky after years of gorging ourselves on carrots and hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:33 AM

"It was odd being the only person singing along in my row and getting dirty looks for doing it."

Yeah, if you're the only one then STFU a$$hole!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:41 AM

^exactly

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:42 AM

WOW JESUS CHRIST! That is an amazing set list.

Now I regret not getting a ticket.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:47 AM

I love when people on BV bitch about the ticket price to show by a veteran rock act, but then when they see the set list, they all cream their pants & cry about how they wish they were there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 10:52 AM

^ exactly

Posted by The Real Real Yup. PERIOD | April 25, 2011 10:55 AM

is that him playing is white falcon? holy dear fuck that would be awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:01 AM

I thought most hipsters were trust fund babies.....they can't afford to pay $50 to see Neil Young yet pay $800 to see LCD.

This world is going downhill......

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:02 AM

Dude... really? I'm all for singing along at a Les Savy Fav or Pixies show, but if you're at Neil Young and you're singing along in your row and getting dirty looks, did you maybe consider that you're just being a f***in' a-hole?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:07 AM

"Songs he changed a lot like "Cortez the Killer" might have been off-putting for purists but I thought the change was welcome."

It def put me off, though not sure I'm a purist. I thought it sounded like crap and was pissed that it basically ruined one of my favorite songs of his. Great night otherwise, though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:09 AM

While last night's show was great, the one I saw at United Palace was better. Maybe we went on different nights.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:12 AM

Hey loser singing in the front row- STFU!

Do you realize that when there is only one person singing/playing that the audience can hear a lot of what is going on around them. People paid to hear Neil, not you. Stay home tonight.

Posted by Venkman | April 25, 2011 11:15 AM

Why did he take "Old Man" off the setlist since the last leg of the tour? This classic is a must.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:17 AM

the le noise dvd is siiiick

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:17 AM

people that sing at shows? don't.

go home, put on your stereo, and sing there; not around thousands of fans who paid big bucks to hear the artist.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:26 AM

11:02-tickets were $150 except for nose bleed tickets which were $50

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:29 AM

11:17, Old man no longer applies, since he is one.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:50 AM

^ He will be just like a Dylan Tune..Forever Young!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 11:59 AM

10:33 - SHUT UP

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 12:06 PM

^ Exactly what the fuck!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 12:11 PM

10:33 - exactly

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 12:13 PM

as long as there is no clean drinking water for millions in this world I cannot spend $150 to see some old has been moan and wheeze his way through songs written 30-40 years ago.
NO MORE NOSTALGIA ACTS
YES CLEAN DRINKING WATER

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 12:16 PM

12:16 is THE ULTIMATE VEGAN

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 12:18 PM

Great Show last night. Didn't know the setlist going in, seems like he is playing the same exact set every night of the tour. But the Out of the Blue opener was a fantastic surprise. A very nice acoustic and harmonica intro before Helpless which he sang flawlessly and was very moving. People were a bit impatient through much of the Le Noise material, but all those songs were done very well. He plays three different kinds of electric guitars and they all have nice effects on them, he shook the Avery Fisher Hall Foundations. I liked the version of Cortez more so than the pump organ version of After the Gold Rush. I Believe in You was sweet on piano. Ohio tied everything together, whether it's the lyrics in some of the Le Noise (Love and War, Hitchhiker, Peaceful Valley) songs or back to the 70's protest songs, Neil is still singing about what he believes in. As much as Cortez was different, Ohio was Classic! The "Be on My Side I'll Be on Your Side" type version of Down By the River which he did at Farm Aid was also nice. Finally Walk With Me was a also a tremendous encore.

I will admit there were people around me also trying to be "polite" muttering/humming the words to the songs to themselves but it was annoying. It's not about you, everyone knows the words to the song, everyone has sung those lyrics to themselves at multiple points in their lives. It's Neil Young we know he moves you, can you let us listen to him do it and not you having your little moment singing the song to yourself. Just a little respect for the people who spent $160 around you.

Finally Bert Jansch is an exceptional guitarist. I know people want to see Neil. But 45min. of Bert will knock your socks off. The songs may not be your style, but just listen to the playing, definitely worth it to see him.

If you are going tonight, enjoy!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 12:52 PM

down by the river was great! THe highlights were on his Gibson. I wish he played the grand piano more. I believe in you was great!! overall, if it wasn't Neil, I might fell kinda overpriced, but the guy is a legend and his songs are timeless!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 12:52 PM

I love Neil and the Boston shows were fantastic, but it's kind of sad that he's playing the exact same set in every city.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 1:10 PM

Last night was great. The best part was when the middle aged woman in the front row climbed up on stage and tried to hug and kiss Neil. Security ust brought her off stage and let her go back to her seat. She's got some balls!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 1:18 PM

Trust funds are awesome. I wish Neel Yung played everynight!!!! I went in my birks even tho it was raining. I can't wait for the DMB Caravan this summer!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 1:18 PM

i got a BOehNER for neil young

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 1:30 PM

question: to those who went -- were there folks out front selling any extras? thinking about going tonight to see if i can get a ticket that's not $150...

thanks...

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 1:48 PM

There were a few (3-4) I saw selling their extra ticket, but everyone was looking for face. A few (2-3) were looking for extras for under face outside, but I didn't see them inside. So you should be willing to pay the face at least.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 1:56 PM

same setlist? glad I saw this show for free elsewhere..

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 3:00 PM

Heart of Gold would be a nice addition to the set list.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 3:05 PM

i think some dude in the front row singing while no one else is would be a nice addition. that's just me though

Posted by guy who was sitting in the front row singing | April 25, 2011 3:32 PM

If anyone around me sings at Neil Young in a couple weeks I will punch them in the head.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2011 5:48 PM

if anyone sings at ANY show i go to in the future, i will fuck them up severely (male or female).

i am incredibly sick of self-absorbed losers. beat them black and blue and get it straight.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2011 8:32 AM