Posted in music | tour dates on April 5, 2011

Cars

After resisting the idea for many years while "The New Cars" played without him (and with Todd Rundgren in his place), Ric Ocasek has joined back up with his band The Cars, cementing the remainder of the original lineup (except for bassist Benjamin Orr for died of pancreatic cancer in 2000)...

"The project's genesis came in the fall of 2009 as Ocasek considered how to proceed with his latest batch of songs. He realized that his best option was the three players with whom he had the most symbiotic relationship. Ocasek reached out to Hawkes, Easton, and Robinson, each of who were excited at the opportunity to play together again. "It totally clicked immediately," Ocasek says. "Everybody got right into it, as if we had never stopped playing. After two days I thought, 'Oh yeah, this is going to be cool.'"

Even as the band fell naturally back into rhythm, Hawkes says, "We tried hard to keep it from just being a nostalgia thing. We definitely wanted to bring a modern slant to it.""

The new album, their first in 24 years, is called Move Like This, set for release by Hear Music/Concord Music Group on May 10th, 2011 which is also the same day they kick off a tour in Seattle. The NYC show happens May 25th at Roseland. Tickets for that one go on Live Nation presale on Thursday, 4/7, at 10am, and then regular sale on Friday at 11.

All dates and videos videos for the lead singles "Blue Tip" & "Sad Song", below...

Sad Song (official) | The Cars

Blue Tip (official) | The Cars

The Cars - "Magic" video (full version)

The Cars - My Best Friend's Girl

THE CARS - 2011 TOUR DATES
5/10 in Seattle, WA @ Showbox @SODO
5/12 in Los Angeles, CA @ The Hollywood Palladium
5/13 in Oakland, CA @ Fox Theatre
5/15 in Denver, CO @ The Fillmore
5/17 in Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
5/18 in Chicago, IL @ The Riviera Theatre
5/20 in Toronto, ON @ The Sound Academy
5/23 in Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
5/25 in New York City, NY @ Roseland
5/26 in Boston, MA @ The House of Blues

I thought I saw Ocasek at LCD saturday. Great show!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:05 AM

shame no philly show...not sure this is worthy of a ny visit

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:10 AM

cash grab!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:14 AM

not even joking, this is lame as shit

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:15 AM

ugh, Roseland

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:19 AM

Cars
Meh
BTDT

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:20 AM

Eilliot Easton is the best guitarist from Brooklyn ever!

Love Ric Ocasek's solo work, but that last album was a dud. Saw him play at CBGB, and I touched Paulina's hair by accident. She is still hot.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:23 AM

This is great news!!! Whoever doesn't like it can go see Lady Gaga in concert and waste your money on that experience. The Cars are back!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:27 AM

"ugh, Roseland"

Yeah, not the best venue, but still far better than Terminal 5. Hammerstein is the best 3000 person GA venue.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:28 AM

this could be good. saw the cars several times in the late 70's and they rocked. gonna be weird without ben, though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:29 AM

i sense old people in this thread

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:41 AM

these aren't the old people you're looking for

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:47 AM

has anyone ever noticed that ric ocasek is kinda weird looking?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:49 AM

"Eilliot Easton is the best guitarist from Brooklyn ever!"

And left-handed too! Psych!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:53 AM

given the choice between being a teenager in the late 70's when bands like the ramones, clash, television and buzzcocks emerged and being one now with the atrociously unoriginal bands and their less-original names, i'll take THEN over NOW.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:53 AM

10:49 - no. no one has ever noticed that. you have made an insightful and novel observation.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:55 AM

^ agreed, but this cars show will be lame

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:56 AM

i'm just glad someone could knock rundgren's ego down a few pegs, that guy thinks he's a god

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 10:56 AM

Roseland, here I come!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:01 AM

The Ballroom of the Land of Rose

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:02 AM

Television tour pleeeeease!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:04 AM

television did tour...and it wasnt that good...mission of burma toured around the same time and was amazing...was soooo happy to be performing....whereas you could tell television was doing it for the money

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:13 AM

Doing it for the money? Television were great on that tour!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:16 AM

Who is playing bass with Orr no longer around?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:18 AM

Yeah, pretty bummed I missed Mission of Burma. Oh well :(

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:24 AM

Cars songs are timeless. Obvious motivation questions about why they're reuniting and how well they can pull this off being way older, but I'd see this in a heartbeat.

Go youtube early cars live videos, they're fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:27 AM

In thirty years teenagers who can't appreciate how good they have it will pine for LCD Soundsystem and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, complaining about how it ain't how it used to be.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:33 AM

No Ben Orr, No Cars

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:41 AM

What an insipid comment, 11:33

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:46 AM

maybe 20 years ago

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:00 PM

I would be interested in this but tickets are a bit steep. You would think that a dead co-lead singer would bring the prices down a notch.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:02 PM

I just watched that Sad Song video. I'm stunned—it's pretty great.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:09 PM

This should be great, especially with new material. They'll make up for Ben Orr's absence. Surprised they're not playing Irving Plaza, in Ric's neighborhood.

Anyone spewing negativity above can sh*t in their hat and wait outside Terminal 5 for Kanye's next show at 5 a.m. What are you going to do now that LCD has retired but you just found out about them last week?

Posted by Cocque Sackie | April 5, 2011 12:14 PM

As far as "cash grabs" go $50 for an act like this ain't bad. Big Audio Dynamite asking $80 for Roseland is a disgusting cash grab. The Cars asking for $50 is fine.

Also glad they're doing Roseland and not some insipid 80s New Wave package tour I would have to schlep to Jones Beach to see....

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:33 PM

12;33...'insipid' wa salready used in this thread...please pay more attention next time. thanks

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:43 PM

The Cars are legends. I dont think they need more money so I wouldnt call this a cashgrab. They will sell tickets for any price.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:44 PM

Well, they did a couple of cheeky choons, way back when, but I'm not sure a comeback is really order of the day. Still, if I was in town, I'd probably fork out 50 bucks, just to see...

Posted by Tim | April 5, 2011 12:48 PM

New songs sound great. Excited to hear the album. But Roseland blows, and with a $50 ticket price, it's a gamble. I'll hold off on the show, but pick up the LP. If they can pull off these dates and get good reviews from fans & critics, they will definitely be back.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:53 PM

I bet they open for The Strokes at a holiday surprise show. All those fags would drop to their knees to see that! BWAAHAHAHAHHAAA

Strokes fans feelings are hurt.. uh oh. BWAHAHAHHAA

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 12:53 PM

:( I'm going to curl up in a ball and cry over that one. that one stings.

Posted by I heart Strokes | April 5, 2011 12:55 PM

They had more than a couple cheeky choons. You must be underage and ignorant.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:00 PM

"cheecky choons"?....okaaaay, on to the next thread

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:03 PM

Lamest thread ever. Was this linked to by someone with a geocities page and an aol mailing list?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:35 PM

insipid? people have nostalgia for some kind of music in every time period ever always. there are people nostalgic for the early nineties, the late seventies, the mid fifties, the mid sixties, the late thirties, etc. enjoy the moment you're in and enjoy the moments of yesterday as well. you can like the buzzcocks and even say, "they don't make 'em like they used to" but it's ignorant to think artists aren't creating music now that some people will be nostalgic for in the future.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:38 PM

1:38 is new to BV. Ignorance is what fuels this blog!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:41 PM

I already saw The Strokes, why should I see The cars?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:45 PM

why would anyone see the cars now? I understand seeing them back in the day, but now???

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:47 PM

underrated band, great albums back in the day, but wish they'd let it rest. oh well. enjoy it if you go...

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:57 PM

YAWN

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 1:58 PM

The Cars were never a very good live band. The records are incredible though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 2:08 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 2:32 PM

The White Stripes blew away the The Strokes at Radio City in 2004 or so. I know the Strokes; the Strokes are not the Cars. Long live Elliot Easton.

Posted by Balzac | April 5, 2011 2:54 PM

I met Ric at a Guided by Voices show. He was super cool and didnt look weird at all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 2:54 PM

anon. 12:33 - who appointed you economic advisor? $80 for BAD is "disgusting" but $50 for Cars is "fine?"

for a BAD fan who's dying to see them, $80 is a small price to pay.

all i know is it's absolutely amazing to me how many f'ing cheap hipsters there are out there! even $100 for a concert ticket (at ANY venue) is not steep considering this is 2000 fucking 11.

and anyone who uses the phrase "cash grab" should have all of their cash grabbed and then they should be slapped.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 2:58 PM

Anyone who defends Big Audio Dynamite musically or economically needs to have their ears cleaned by a professional audiologist while London Calling is playing in the background.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 4:08 PM

The spare-a-splash faux-hipsters will not pick up on the London Calling reference. Kudos, though.

Posted by Phil McCracken | April 5, 2011 4:10 PM

What, cos London Calling is such an obscure, true music fan's album? Hilarious. The Clash were as much garbage as BAD. The Clash had one good song. Guess what it was...

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 4:37 PM

Eddie Cochran's "I Fought the Law"?

Posted by Phil McCracken | April 5, 2011 4:45 PM

4:37's obvious troll baiting by knocking the clash proves he needs his ears cleaned....with my fists.

It looks like I am going to have to go through here again and suplex the shit out of all the motherfuckers who think it is fun to go around and disrespect their forefathers.

I'll find all of you at the Our Band Can Be Your Life party. Anyone getting off on some frail chick singing Big Black will get a mad roundhouse flying pit kick as I light some onstage firecrackers like they used to do it back in the 80s.

If you're not terrified to be in the venue then your favorite bands are DOING IT WRONG.

Shove that meme up your uneducated pie holes.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 4:46 PM

4:46=WINNING

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 4:54 PM

Fact is the Cars live are robotic & boring. Too bad, bc the music is solid.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 5:13 PM

Cars > Strokes
Cars > LCD Soundsystem
Cars < GYBE

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 5:32 PM

>The Cars were never a very good live band. The records are incredible though.
>^ Dude, you're nuts. Go look on youtube, their performances are pretty fucking solid.
>Fact is the Cars live are robotic & boring. Too bad, bc the music is solid.

I can see all of that being true.

Posted by Owsley Stanley | April 5, 2011 5:32 PM

5:32=WINNING

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 5:35 PM

Cares = incredible? They're good and all, but incredible? That I cannot abide.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 5:36 PM

Not true. The Cars are great live. Anyone who says they're not, hasn't seen them live.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 5:38 PM

Robotic & boring??? Grow up. I saw The Cars twice and both times they were amazing. Did they jump all over the stage?? No. They did however perform each and every song to perfection and that's what I paid $$$ for. Go see KISS if you need a wild spectacle.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 6:41 PM

KISS > CARS > WINNING

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 7:13 PM

12:14 Nothing can make up for Benjamin Orr's absence. Still, I wish the guys luck.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2011 11:21 PM

Saw the Cars once on their "Hearbeat City" tour @ the Los Angeles Forum...They blew the socks off all of us.
Their level of muscianship & skill is what stood out...It has been well over 20 years since Ocasek toured with Cars the hatchet is buried. Looking forward to a nite of state of the art sound & musicianship..See you in L.A.

Posted by Adrian | April 5, 2011 11:43 PM

Ocasek has production credits on a Bad Brains record, so that's enough street cred over any bullshit bands out now.

Posted by milkcerealbaby | April 6, 2011 12:28 AM

Can't wait for "winning" to go the way of "fo shizzle." What shear stupidity.

Posted by Puke Bucket | April 6, 2011 11:02 AM

^ WORD

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2011 11:04 AM

Anyone have the Live Nation password?

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2011 9:51 AM

Live Nation password: Gangly

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2011 10:08 AM

No luck with the password?

Posted by Fargo North | April 7, 2011 10:46 AM

Hahahah, holy shit...the password for this presale is "BAND"

I am dead serious.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2011 11:57 AM

Sweet, just got tickets! Presale started later than announced.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2011 12:13 PM

Got my tickets this morning! The Cars 2011!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2011 8:38 PM

Sure miss Ben Orr, such a lost talent to the band, but glad to see they are back. I saw The New Cars with Todd Rundgren and they rocked. Maybe Ric heard that the remaining members and Todd did his songs justice. Too bad no Michigan dates.

Posted by MKH | April 13, 2011 8:09 PM

BLACK EYED PEAS PLAYING TERMINAL 5 ON APRIL 18th, TICKETS ON CRAIGSLIST

Posted by fergie ferg | April 14, 2011 10:29 AM

The were excellent live, just go look at youtube. and easton, he looks badass live with his les paul jamming bye bye love, candy-o, and most of all, good times roll. When they performed good times roll at live aid, it was badass as hell, and it didnt sound as slow and boring as the album version, and even better, the song was less new wave, more hard rock!! The Cars were one of those bands that could go from poprock to hard rock to synthpop and even to rockabilly!! And i hate rockabilly and the cars turned it into "Hard rockabilly" in the good times roll solo.

Posted by Nate of a gun | April 17, 2011 12:24 AM

I missed seeing the Cars live in the 70s/80s, now I have to miss seeing them live again even though they'll be playing less that 100 miles from where I live, o well, at least theres a new album.

Posted by choff | April 18, 2011 10:39 PM

I have been waiting for this glorious day for 24 years. Glad to see that the guys did not try and replace Ben. He will be and is surley missed by all true Cars fans.
From the sound of the first two singles it seems as though the MAGIC still remains. THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL GIFT NATE C Roanoke VA.

Posted by Nathan L Cochrane Sr | April 28, 2011 10:40 AM

Anyone who knows anything about songwriting and composition knows this band is brilliant and unique. Almost every song on there first album made the charts. And Ric is responsible for writing most of there material. So I'm definitely seeing THE CARS Thursday night!!!!!

Posted by BrushYourRckN'Roll hair | May 10, 2011 11:33 AM

Been listening to the new album. Great crisp engineering. But what happened to the guitar solos? Where are they? Elliot Easton is a monster guitarist, and he doesn't shine on this album at all. No good guitar parts.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2011 11:13 AM

Seeing them at the Electric Factory in Philly on 5/22 and can't wait! All the haters, just go over to the Katie Perry site and leave us alone.

Posted by CARS_kid | May 13, 2011 10:21 AM

Yes! You rock cars! I'll miss you Benjamin Orr :(.

Posted by Onemeanbadger | May 14, 2011 10:03 PM

Great to see them back together, after 24 years. Hopefully their new CD and tour do well. As far as their new music, it won't make the Top 40. Music has changed for the worst since 1987.

Posted by BM1958 | May 15, 2011 6:53 AM

Awesome!! I am so glad to see the Cars back on the road. I am a huge fan and I have everything they ever put out. I liked the Unlocked video too that rocks. I only wish that Ben Orr was still around he was great. I regret never seeing him in concert with the band. I almost fell over when I heard they were going out on the road, I never seen them in concert and I regret it. One question "Hey Ric Ocasek what about us down here in Texas!!" Too hard for me to get to the other locations. Anyway I bought the new album for my collection.

Posted by Steve Hernandez. | May 15, 2011 9:43 PM

The Cars performed at First Avenue in Minneapolis last night and it was a near flawless performance super-charged with energy. Anyone who doubts that the Cars can put on a great show should have been there last night. Of course, they played their hits, but they also pulled out some lesser known early tracks and satisfied the discerning among us who like the odd "Up and Down" and could call "I'm in Touch with Your World" the best song on Side 1 if not for "Don't Cha Stop". The Cars have been sticking to their setlist on this tour, but after the incredible crowd reaction to their entire show they did not want to stop playing. Ric was smiling, Greg was tuned into Ric and they motioned to each other after the setlist was completed that another endore was in order. Elliot had to tell David Robinson to sit back down and they launched into "You're All I've Got Tonight". It was so packed full of adrenalin and intensity that I forgot that these cats are in their 60s. If you liked the Cars you owe it to yourself to see them again.

Posted by Steven | May 18, 2011 9:07 PM

WTF. No Detroit show?

Posted by Bill | May 21, 2011 10:49 AM

this song is good. very very good

Posted by european stock markets | May 22, 2011 1:54 AM

anyone know what time the Cars go on at Roseland this evening?

Is there an opening band?

anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2011 2:30 PM

From what I understand from the Facebook page:

no opener
6:30 doors
8:00 show
they play for an hour and a half

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2011 2:56 PM

Doors 645
Cars 810-945

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2011 3:02 PM

It was truly sad when this great band, and the world, lost a great musician in Benjamin Orr. It's 11 years later, and this band is back! I remember Easton well, and saw him live here in Las Vegas back, circa 2003-2004, when he was touring with Creedence Clearwater Revisited. He did a great live, and FREE show here on Fremont Street. CCR was awesome! Not as awesome as the original CCR, but they still rocked the place big time! Glad these guys are back making music and kickin butt!

Posted by Rick | May 26, 2011 8:08 AM

Who ever said that this is lame, should keep to them self. Because this is real music. not the new garbage that is out today.The Cars keep Rockin on.

Posted by john | July 19, 2011 6:59 PM

SO HAPPY!!! :D

Loved them in the 80's and loving them today. Welcome back!!!

Posted by David D | August 20, 2011 5:50 AM

the cars move like this was really good will they be recording another studio album of all new songs followup to it or cwas this one time deal jon macvean

Posted by jon macvean | November 2, 2012 9:56 AM