Posted in music | venues on May 29, 2011

Williamsburg

"I lived in Manhattan in the '80s and we used to talk about 'bridge and tunnel' people," said Sunny Chapman, 60, a dance instructor and artist who moved to Williamsburg 16 years ago. "Now we talk about bridge and tunnel people coming in from Manhattan."

The crush of outsiders in the neighborhood "absolutely is Topic A," Ms. Chapman said. "One person will mention an episode of rudeness and the floodgates will open. They walk into me when they walk down the street texting."

That is not all. "Don't get me started on their giant $800 strollers running over my ankles in King's Pharmacy," she said

She added: "A lot of people from the old days carry guns. One of these days one of these suburban kids is going to say the wrong thing to the wrong person." [NY Times]

Watch your backs.

The focus of the NY Times article is mostly the now familiar battle between the Williamsburg Waterfront concerts and some angry residents.

The first and one of the only free shows happening at the Waterfront this summer is Coheed & Cambria on 6/11.

The first pay show is currently Thievery Corporation on 6/24, a show which now also has Raphael Saadiq on the bill. Tickets for that and other Waterfront shows are on sale.

Unleash the beasts!

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:14 PM

I'm no fan of the rich kid d-bags who have taken over... but a lot of the old school residents are fucking crazy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:29 PM

I don't have too much sympathy for property owners who have seen the value of their property increase exponentially over the last decades. If you don't like it there, cash out and move.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:32 PM

I don't understand why people don't mind hanging out on a toxic waste dump to see a concert.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:43 PM

These people preferred when Williamsburg was a wasteland of toxic chemicals, hookers, junkies... fuck them all. They are never happy. Complaining about strollers? GIVE ME A BREAK!! No Sympathy...

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:47 PM

lived on south 2nd street my entire life, used to have to dodge trains runing across kent avenue, now some faggot on a fixed gear

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:50 PM

Bring back the NYC of the late 70s and 80s. Those must have been good (crack) times.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:51 PM

The first person quoted has lived there since 1957 - doubt this is the first time she's complained about the neighborhood changing, and doubt there's anything that can be done to make her happy. And the neighborhood has to be a lot nicer now than at many times in the past.

And how are "$800 strollers in King's Pharmacy" the concerts' fault? How many strollers were there at them last year - any? Seems like it would be new residents who would be bringing them in, not hipster kids (guess that's why she didn't want to get started on that issue...).

Though there will be more strollers in King's Pharmacy this year, thanks to the kids shows being held there that were set up to be 'low-volume'. So be careful what you wish for...

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 5:58 PM

Williamsburg has got nothing on strollers and whiny parents with entitled kids compared to Park Slope.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:03 PM

"That all being said, anyone & everyone has a right to bitch about being near a Coheed and Cambria show..."

Nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:05 PM

Personally, I can understand old timers not liking drastic change in their neighborhood. The people I laugh at are the "pioneers" who first move into an iffy neighborhood, start the transition, and then bitch about being priced out themselves. No matter how many times it happens - Hoboken, LES, etc - I laugh my ass off.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:06 PM

This shit is so funny. Why are people getting pissed? The Michael Moore Experience has a great song about people like this:

Posted by Tyler | May 29, 2011 6:08 PM

i wonder if the resident who's lived there for 57 years prefers the 70s/80s where she might get mugged or killed in the hood.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:10 PM

Agreed 5:58 nailed it w/ the Coheed comment

Posted by TXn | May 29, 2011 6:13 PM

You can't get priced out of a neighborhood if you (1) own property; or (2) have a rent-stabilized apartment.

Bring back McCarren Pool!

Posted by Regular reader | May 29, 2011 6:29 PM

WWTD? what would tyler do?

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:34 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:39 PM

You can't even get robbed on the bridge anymore. How did this happen?

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:42 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 6:59 PM

there are 3 groups really involved in these current changes and the times pretends there are only 2 - the truly old school residents, the newish (the last 15 years) transplants that are kids and creative types (who are now starting to have kids of their own) and the upper middle class suburban cuntwads that have moved into the williamsburg waterfront properties and those influenced by that money.

OSA represents group 3 and/or their own enrichment, nothing more. I feel bad, because group 1, old school residents, were sold a bag of shit that these monstrosities were going to be good for the neighborhood, something we (group 2) always knew was bullshit.

End result? Bedford ave area williamsburg will become a bastard gross mix of Park Slope and Battery Park City. Group 2 will be annhilated out of the area. Group 1 will die out/be forced out - this area will end up feeling like yet another suburb. Ew.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 7:03 PM

"I try to avoid williamsburg. The people there think they are so great, and they are not."

That's what makes it amusing - kind of like a Disneyland for dorks. You're talking about the least cool person in every high school in America clustering together to manufacture an alternate reality. Cute, really.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 7:10 PM

These "original" residents are certainly secretly happy about all these recent transplants... I mean, when the hipsters move in, the hummus stands soon follow, and I see lots of old timers ordering up hummus platters nearly every day, and the phyto-nutrients locked within the chickpea are giving these senior citizens lots of energy and stamina to do hip thrust dance moves to the breakdowns of their benny goodman records. And they love it. They really love it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 7:11 PM

Oh to dream. If only this notion can become reality.

Posted by Ted Nugent | May 29, 2011 7:38 PM

Time to move to Bed Stuy and East New York

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 8:29 PM

I once met a gentleman in Williamsburg who claimed that he lived there for many years and claimed that once Oasis opened it's doors, the entire neighborhood changed.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 8:49 PM

Nice to see that a 60 year old is so open-minded.

She seems to be anything but "sunny," and actually seems kind of dreary.

Why don't all the hipsters who hate $800 strollers use a bridge or tunnel and leave your beloved Brooklyn. Try the Bronx, or Staten Island. Who cares if you are 16 or 60 - closed minded people are obnoxious.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 10:33 PM

"closed minded people are obnoxious."

Why do you hate close minded people? That's pretty closed minded and obnoxious.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 10:36 PM

I know a few people who have lived in williamsburg since the 80s/early 90s who A) hate hipsters just as much as the woman in the article, and B) are all extremely cranky, depressingly old in their views, and in most cases mentally disturbed if not plain fucking crazy. I keep telling 'em the world is leaving their rotting asses behind and they need to get the fuck over it, much like we all will have to do in 10 or 20 years. But they just never seem to learn.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 10:48 PM

You must admit though that theres nothing better than an entitled yuppie parent blocking the sidewalk with a massive stroller ignoring their kid while they waste away on their Iphone oblivious to anyone around them.

The fools living in those hotel tower condos by the waterfront sure realize they are going to get sick from the poor materials use to throw the building together on the toxic land its built on.

10:33 PM sounds like a broker.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2011 11:55 PM

where in brooklyn do kickball katy and her huge fucking tits live? is it near this place?

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 2:43 AM

Call the waaaaaaahhhhmbulance.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | May 30, 2011 3:14 AM

Williamsburg is just an extension of the LES. People and businesses moved there because rents were cheaper. It's not really brooklyn but more an extension of the trashy bars and hipster dives in lower manhattan. There is nothing there that you can't find in manhattan accept for a panoramic view of manhattan and a bunch of midwesterners with furry beards who wear flannel all year round.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 9:37 AM

I once had my ankles run over by someone pushing a $100 stroller. It wasn't too bad actually...

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 10:25 AM

hipsters are usually timid people who don't wanna be rude

neighborhood people play the loud reggeaton and hang in the streets like a bunch of assholes

who's more rude?

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 10:29 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 10:47 AM

@ 10:47 - meant cared, not called.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 10:48 AM

In other words, go back to Ohio, ya lousy kids!

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 11:05 AM

"Who cares about the price of strollers? The more horrifying thought is hipsters breeding at all. If they called at all about the future of our species, they'd let their bad gene pools die."

You are so right! young people who are interested in art, music, fashion should stop breeding. Leave all the breeding up to the religous zealots and poor.
You are completely logical. I hope you breed so we can have more insightful comments on message boards.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 11:42 AM

Yeah, 11:42,hipsters are so interested in art and fashion that they dress like imbeciles and swoon over ugly aesthetics in service of their mindlessly ironic impulses. Fucking idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 12:06 PM

What do you call young people who are interested in music, art, fashion that you approve of? They are not "hipsters"?

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 12:21 PM

Hipsters are just an embarrassing subculture, like guidos. We need a Williamsburg equivalent of "Jersey Shore" so that we can all laugh more.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 1:20 PM

Anyone reading Brooklyn Vegan, let alone commenting here, falls under even the broadest definition of "hipster". Me, you, everyone here. Protest otherwise all you want...

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 2:15 PM

Any man who wears women's pants is a hipster (& a douche).

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 3:04 PM

Wow, people are reading Brooklyn Vegan while calling other people "hipster"? Would that be considered ironic?

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 3:14 PM

Finally, acceptance

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 3:48 PM

2:15 pm has convinced me that I'm a actually a hipster. Like Pabst Blue Ribbon - check. Have two pairs of Ray Ban Wayfarers - check. Was in a fraternity - check. High school girlfriend was homecoming queen - check. Played a major sport in college - check. Make over $200K now - check. Donate money to Republicans - check.

I'm just like the rest of you!

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 4:06 PM

^------ no, you're just a plain old douche bag. Nothing "hipster" about you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 4:34 PM

At least.. at the very least you guys are putting quotation marks on the word "hipster".. Because God knows that word has lost ALL the fucking meaning it's ever had. It's as meaningless as the word "emo" had become in the last ten years. Anyone that actually uses that word seriously, in a way that doesn't address its meaninglessness, is foolish.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 4:39 PM

as much as i hate hipsters. fuck those old douchebags. nobody is gonna like change.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 4:54 PM

4:06. no you are just a moron.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 5:11 PM

"4:06. no you are just a moron."

Yeah. But a moron with a higher IQ than you who could nonetheless put his fist through your skull if you tried saying that to my face. And then I'd maybe enjoy a nice dinner at Gramercy Tavern with my girlfriend before heading to a show at Bowery Ballroom.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 5:20 PM

Eat hummus a minimum of 3 times per week?
Check and check!

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 5:21 PM

5:20 must weigh at least 135 pounds to be that certain he could put a fist through 5:11's skull.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 5:50 PM

Hidden footage of 4:06 in action on the job:

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 5:58 PM

"At least.. at the very least you guys are putting quotation marks on the word "hipster".. Because God knows that word has lost ALL the fucking meaning it's ever had."

Yeah, I've been aware of this for a while now. That's why I use the term "trendy" now instead. It's a little more accurate.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 6:08 PM

"Getting stabbed or hipster douchebags everywhere talking about anything? I'd say it's a draw."

Bingo.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 6:09 PM

i'm thinking of starting a brooklyn chapter of al qaeda. who's in?

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 6:12 PM

LOL HIGH IQs

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 7:04 PM

Let's bring Williamsburg back to the Hassids.

So we're starting an Al Qaeda in Williamsburg. it's settled.

Posted by Stephen Whitfield | May 30, 2011 8:44 PM

The Hasids are still in Williamsburg, on the south side. Funny how people don't konw that that part of town doesn't exist.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2011 9:18 PM

5:20. Lets meet. I would like to tell you that you are a moron in person.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 1:52 AM

5:20. Lets meet. I would like to tell you that you are a moron in person.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 1:54 AM

Park Slope is Williamsburg's future.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 2:01 AM

Niggers

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:22 AM

Maybe the yuppies can move their wine bars and boutique kid clothes shops south of the bridge.

Is that Radiac nasty storage facility still by Kent?

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:51 AM

All this hate on this thread is clearly a result of one simple fact... All of you must have a serious hummus deficiency, and I would bet good money that if you had a ROBUST platter in front of you, y'all wouldn't be so cranky about all this stuff. I advise all of you to rush to your nearest bodega immedietly and let a cupboard filled of chickpeas put you in a better mood.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 5:53 AM

fuck the concert goers and the residents.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 8:26 AM

YOUR ALL A BUNCH OF FUCKING CRACKERS

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 8:31 AM

YOUR = YOU'RE

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 8:54 AM

I'm not necessarily a fan of entitled 20somethings who grow a beard and put on a flannel shirt to be instantly cool, but I'd much rather a full neighborhood of that, than a neighborhood where I have to carry a weapon to feel safe. Which is what North Billyburg used to be...

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 8:57 AM

That's it, I'm moving to Yonkers...

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:16 AM

haha so this guy is against babies?

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:29 AM

For some reason "Yonkers Vegan" just doesn't sound right.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:32 AM

2:01 is 100% correct.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:34 AM

this same article will be posted on Bushwick in lets say 5-7 years

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:44 AM

5:20 - you should go to Brooklyn Bowl instead. I'll be at the bar. Waiting.

Posted by Tom | May 31, 2011 1:46 PM

"5:20 - you should go to Brooklyn Bowl instead. I'll be at the bar. Waiting."

Yeah. I'll work my schedule around some anonymous assclown's. I'll be at the Big Apple BBQ for Black Joe Lewis on the 12th. The following weekend I'll be at McCarren Park for GBV. I'll most likely stay in town for the 4Knots as well, but otherwise I'll be in the Hamptons most weekends. That's what people with money do.

Look for a 33 year old (6'2" 195 lb) preppy square with light brown hair - should be easy enough in a sea of scrawny beta male hipsters - and call him a moron. If you choose the right person I'll probably laugh and buy you a beer for having more courage than brains, but that's only if you don't have a face that annoys me like, say, Vincent Gallo or Moby.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 2:05 PM

Man, I'm 6'1, 167 lbs with blond hair and blue eyes and an athletic frame. I'll never be cool enough to be a hipster or rich enough to be a yuppie. Being in the middle sucks...

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:23 PM

3:23-it's all about weeding out the middle man

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 4:50 PM

Asshole central.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 8:36 PM

why the heck are you 67 and still in Wburg? move to long island you old fool

Posted by Anonymous | June 1, 2011 2:09 PM

Even though I grew up in Brooklyn I'm not sure how Williamsburg was before but I don't think that there was some thriving community present before the neighborhood started changing. Regarding this culture that everyone's talking about, not all "culture" is good. If a neighborhood was crime ridden and dangerous and that neighbborhood is no longer crime ridden and dangerous then that's a good thing for Brooklyn and I'm all for it. As for Williiamsburg becoming like a part of manhattan, there's nothing wrong with manhattan, I love the city.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2011 10:28 AM

Fun fact: The real Old School residents were the Lenape.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2011 4:29 PM