Posted in hiphop | music on May 14, 2011

"And Frank Ocean Is Here........" - Tyler, the Creator

"NYC Odd Future crowd was terrible, total amateur hipster shit. I don't blame Tyler and Hodgy for being pissed. Frank Ocean rocked though." - Ari Shahdadi

"NY Was Cool. My Voice Is Completely Gone." - Tyler, the Creator

"The wolf gang is the truth." - Q-Tip

"Man. Hip hop aint been this edgy in a minute.
Enjoyed the Odd Future show tonight" - Questlove

?uestlove in a Tyler mask @ Highline Ballroom Friday night
Tyler

The above audio clip of Frank Ocean was posted to Funkmaster Flex's website from the Friday night Highline Ballroom show. The below message was posted to Tegan & Sara's website earlier in the day:

When will misogynistic and homophobic ranting and raving result in meaningful repercussions in the entertainment industry? When will they be treated with the same seriousness as racist and anti-Semitic offenses? While an artist who can barely get a sentence fragment out without using homophobic slurs is celebrated on the cover of every magazine, blog and newspaper, I'm disheartened that any self-respecting human being could stand in support with a message so vile.

As journalists and colleagues defend, excuse and congratulate 'Tyler, the Creator,' I find it impossible not to comment. In any other industry would I be expected to tolerate, overlook and find deeper meaning in this kid's sickening rhetoric? Why should I care about this music or its "brilliance" when the message is so repulsive and irresponsible? There is much that upsets me in this world, and this certainly isn't the first time I've drafted an open letter or complaint, but in the past I've found an opinion - some like-minded commentary - that let me rest assured that my outrage, my voice, had been accounted for. Not this time.

If any of the bands whose records are held in similar esteem as Goblin had lyrics littered with rape fantasies and slurs, would they be labeled hate mongers? I realize I could ask that question of DOZENS of other artists, but is Tyler exempt because people are afraid of the backlash? The inevitable claim that detractors are being racist, or the brush-off that not "getting it" would indicate that you're "old" (or a faggot)? Because, the more I think about it, the more I think people don't actually want to go up against this particular bully because he's popular. Who sticks up for women and gay people now? It seems entirely uncool to do so in the indie rock world, and I'll argue that point with ANYONE.

No genre is without its controversial and offensive characters- I'm not naive. I've asked myself a thousand times why this is pushing me over the edge. Maybe it's the access to him (his grotesque twitter, etc). Maybe it's because I'm a human being, both a girl and a lesbian. Maybe it's because my mom has spent her whole adult life working with teenage girls who were victims of sexual assault. Maybe it's because in this case I don't think race or class actually has anything to do with his hateful message but has EVERYTHING to do with why everyone refuses to admonish him for that message.

It is not without great hesitation and hand wringing that I enter into the discourse about Tyler, the media who glorifies and excuses misogyny and homophobia, and the community of artists that doesn't seem remotely bothered by it. I can only hope that someone reading this might be inspired to speak out. At the very least, I will know that my voice is on record. - skq

PREVIOUSLY: 'Is hip-hop homophobia at a tipping point?' ('Goblin' out Tues.)

swag

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 3:54 AM

show was aboslutely insane. better than santos party house show.

swag.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:02 AM

fuck tegan and sara. They don't 'get it' and they're old.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:03 AM

So basically if you're over the age of 18, your opinion of this band shouldn't count.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:14 AM

Tegan and Sara are obviously RACIST lesbos. They really don't understand the mentality young african americans are confronted with in order to survive and be successful in the artist industry.

Or perhaps they're just jealous their lesbian schtick didn't last.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:15 AM

Fucking Odd Future dick riders. Psh.

Bottom line is people are taking the mind of a 19 year old kid WAAAAAAAAAY too seriously. Grow up, cunts.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:17 AM

I'm a straight male and I agree with your opinion completely. It's gross to me that so many "respectable" artists are giving this misguided artist encouragement. I have seen there live show and it's full of energy but after really listining to what this kid is saying I can't be a fan.

Tyler is clearly a virtuoso but until he recognizes his influence and responsibility as an artist I won't be listening. I'm not one to shy away from aggressive/controversial lyrics but this garbage seems based in shock value alone. The only thing shocking about Tyler is the support he receives from artist who should know better.

Posted by Ryan | May 14, 2011 4:31 AM

obnoxious, over hyped, sloppy performance.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 5:01 AM

I'm over 30 and was at the show tonight and thought it was great. Hip Hop needs Odd Future now more then ever. Most of the crowd was awesome and Tyler and the boys had great back and forth with them all. Whoever didnt like that show needs to look in the mirror and dont hate for the sake of hating and being different. Was a great time and wish I could go to another show soon.

Posted by Keith | May 14, 2011 6:29 AM

Odd Future is retarded hipster bullshit.

Posted by IFuckedTylerInTheAss | May 14, 2011 7:00 AM

@4:31 calling Tyler a virtuoso is like saying the diarrhea I had this morning was virtuosic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 7:12 AM

@keith aren't Tyler's lyrics hateful for the sake of being hateful and different?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 7:21 AM

this group isnt doing anything 'different'. hasn't shockcore/ horrorcore rap been done since the mid 90's and since?

so if the gheto boyz, gravediggaz, dr.octagon, and even necro or cage started up now theyd be as famous as these kids? this whole crew are just some lucky 18 yo's.

people got short memories. this rap genre has been filled for a while now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 7:42 AM

"The wolf gang is the truth"
their truth.. not mine.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 7:49 AM

I don't understand the hype with these guys music but for some reason I am intrigued to follow the mess. I see no difference between their lyrics and ICP's, but for some reason OFWGKTA come off as "genius" and ICP are, well, clowns.

Posted by T | May 14, 2011 8:22 AM

A free country this is for those who forgot. If you don't like gays, if you call them faggots, if you verbally condone oral and anal sex between 2 males, it is totally within one's rights. And guess what...You can use your art to express your feelings too! We have free speech here hipsters. I do not agree with what is said all the time, but I agree with your right to say it.

Tegan and Sara are just trying to get back in the hipsters' good graces after fleecing them for like $80 each for their "intimate" Brooklyn show. They are also jealous they became "has beens" so fast, and a bunch of kids are all the rage now. So sorry girls!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 8:45 AM

Golf Wang.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 8:54 AM

4:15, are you arguing that African-Americans NEED to celebrate rape and homophobia in order to find success with a white audience? THAT is fucking racist, and you are a fucking moron.

It is racist to believe that that is the level of discourse black America is capable of. It is racist to believe that this kind of rhetoric represents what black Americans actually believe.

If anything, this is the kind of rhetoric black America knows is salable to dumb white morons like you. You are exactly the kind of small-minded, ignorantly racist consumer who is meant to buy into this stereotypical gangster bullshit and then think you "get" black culture.

Posted by bd | May 14, 2011 8:59 AM

If Tyler's lyrics were the lyrics to the new Black Lips album, would the same people praising him here be singing those same praises to those guys?

It is condescending and racist to expect any less from Tyler because of the color of his skin.

Posted by bd | May 14, 2011 9:01 AM

8:45, you write like Yoda talks. And the fact that you had to throw in as many insults to "hipsters" in your post as you could just invalidates your opinion right out of the gate.

Posted by bd | May 14, 2011 9:07 AM

The show last night was a fucking blast. Wolfgang.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:15 AM

Tyler is crying out for a hard dick in his ass.

Posted by winn | May 14, 2011 9:40 AM

The Tegan and Sara post is mostly valid and I bet a lot of people would agree, however, if this really bothers people they need to IGNORE IT AND IT WILL GO AWAY. The hype is so big, thanks to Pitchfork, that the bubble is bound to burst. Odd Future's fanbase is the kids. And the kids are fickle indeed.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:42 AM

Odd Future are the Anal Cunt of rap.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:58 AM

it's funny how "Hip hop aint been this edgy in a minute" ?uestlove has become some sort of arbiter of taste in music. yea homphobia is really edgy quest.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 10:20 AM

The should rename the group Cod Future and just rap about fish and chips.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 10:21 AM

i bet they change their style up and blow our minds in an album or two. and then everyone will look back on this as a shtick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 10:21 AM

^ What style? You mean there is more than one way to fling your shit around like an angry chimp.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 10:51 AM

"And no one is arguing to ban the record or to censor the guy. The argument is with the press that is giving him a pass on lyrical subject matter that would not be tolerated from a white artist."

Not tolerated from a white artist? Remember when EMINEM dropped the Marshall Mathers LP 10 years ago? He caught the same shit from gay rights activists/groups and was praised by fellow hip hop artists and the media.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 10:56 AM

A bigger concern is——why did it take journalists almost twenty years to question whether homophobia is prevalent in the hip-hop and rap communities? The usage of "faggot" has been used in thousands of songs in that time span, and that elicited minimal commentary.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:03 AM

Odd Future is the new Tegan & Sara

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:04 AM

I hope Tegan & Sara realize that Odd Future LIVES for comments like that. They are just feeding into the hype by even acknowledging it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:11 AM

The main stream media did this a decade ago with Slim Shady. People just like to be outraged.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:14 AM

Can I finish? Can I finish? Ok I'm finished.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:17 AM

if you call this horrorcore you are just a fucking idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:55 AM

'Punks Jump Up to Get Beat Down' anybody remember that song & the ensuing backlash?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:58 AM

Not for nothing, but Count Grishnackh seems to get a pass too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:03 PM

The Holocaust never happened. No it's cool, you should like that I said this because I'm in Odd Future. Also I think black people's votes should only count as 1/3 of say a white persons vote like James Murphy's. ODD FUTURE SON!!!

Posted by Tyler the Creator | May 14, 2011 12:14 PM

8:59 is also clearly white hipster racist.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:16 PM

I see we're still taking hip hop seriously. I'll check back when y'all hit puberty.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:16 PM

I hit puberty. You can check back now. I heard Tyler's writing process involves him sodomizing himself and his bandmates with a curling iron while watching Two Girls On Cup. They rape their pit bulls ever so viciously. Then they have a good song when the bleeding and crying stops.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:20 PM

I find it laughable that those of you that like this shit actually like it. There's an infinite amount of actually GOOD hip hop to listen to. The fact of the matter is you like this because people are gullible and people tend to like things (or think they SHOULD like things) that get buzz and get hyped. These kids are fucking a median age of 19 and they rap about killing, hitting and fucking 'bitches', in a mediocre medium of beats and cheezy unoriginal lyrics and music.

It's hype and nothing else. You could do so much better for yourselves. Odd Future? Seriously? Feel bad for yourselves, you lemmings.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:26 PM

The inconsistency with this entire argument is that people will never stop saying "you don't get it" or it's "tongue-in-cheek" or "you're taking it too seriously." Yes, I get that the Odd Future hype is mainly shock-driven but somehow I am also not okay with the free pass Tyler's been given. He's an adult and is making music. If he himself doesn't take him seriously, then he's a fucking loser who could only achieve success by stringing various slurs together. If he does take himself seriously, then well, its just as bad.

I'll proudly stand with T&S on this, and anyone who is honestly bashing them for writing this blows my mind with ignorance. Enjoy your enlightened sense of musical recognition and keep on listening to these guys or you can just go to your nearby Junior High school and get the same effect.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:27 PM

No respect until gays really attempt to fight for their rights. They really haven't since Harvey Milk got shot. It's like some ignorant Catholic shut the movement down with two bullets. THE MOVEMENT IS NOW CHARACTERIZED BY A BUNCH OF FLAMBOYANT PUSSIES WHO WOULD RATHER PARADE AROUND AND WORRY ABOUT THE SEKS THAN PROTEST.

Or maybe the 60s/70s were just that much better.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:28 PM

The hype and love that Odd Future has received in my opinion is at least somewhat fueled off the fact that 2011 has been a MEDIOCRE & DISAPPOINTING year in music so far. Maybe if the listeners/youtube viewers had something GREAT to divert their attention OF wouldn't be so hyped out of the universe........I mean c'mon the Cut Copy, Fleet Foxes & James Blake albums are all complete snoooooozers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:29 PM

the whole tegan and sara thing reminds me of frank grimes (tegan and sara) and homer simpson (tyler). ya'll remember that one?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:44 PM

Everyone complaining about Odd Future is lying to themselves. Everyone loves Yonkers. Nothing this gritty since Wu-Tang. Sorry you feel the need to hate because he uses faggot. Ever consider he himself might gay?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:44 PM

12:29 ahahahh I DIDNT LIKE 3 ALBUMS!!!!! WHAT A WASTE OF A YEAR!!!!! fucking idiot 2k11 has been an incredible year for music so far and if you cant figure out why thats no one's fault but yr own.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:47 PM

On Goblin, Tyler, the Creator created a fictitious piece of art with different characters involved. The main character is portrayed as psychotic and this is very effectively shown by contemplating rape, racism, homophobia and murder (not to the mention the fact that he SHOOTS AND KILLS HIS BEST FRIEND - something that i've yet to read criticism on...apparently people are okay with murdering your best friend so as long as you don't say faggot).

If this was literature or film, it would be totally okay that these fictitious characters do and think about such demeaning acts, however since it is music, those who criticize the lyrics immediately take it to mean that Tyler himself is advocating these actions.

People who are upset with these lyrics choose only to point out certain lines they don't like and take them out of context. If you listen to the story that the entire album tells it would be obvious that Tyler, the Creator doesn't advocate rape, homophobia, racism, or murder.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:55 PM

12:55 bravo

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:57 PM

no one realizes that they're kids, talented kids, but kids none the less. and what do kids do? they fuck around, and that's what most of these records have been. but they're validity if you actually look into their other songs, especially off of tyler's new record. they're having fun, and if they stick with it they can absolutely make valid, groundbreaking hip hop. none of the bullshit that all of you fucking idiots are complaining about is taken seriously. this show was awesome, but there were a lot of stupid kids there. fuck it though. wolf gang.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 12:57 PM

"Random disclaimer
Hey, don't do anything that I say in this song, okay? It's fuckin' fiction
If anything happens, don't fuckin' blame me, white America, fuck Bill O'Reilly"

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:03 PM

my wet dream consists of bill o'reilly having tyler on 'the factor' for a healthy debate.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:21 PM

FAGGOT DOES NOT EQUAL GAY

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:24 PM

TEGAN AND SARA ARE IGNORANT, FAGGOT DOES NOT MEAN GAY ANYMORE. EMINEM AND SOUTHPARK CLEARED THIS UP

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:25 PM

Odd Future are the Big Black of rap. Fucking deal with it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:26 PM

CANT WAIT FOR TEH FEMALES TO TRY TO TAKE BACK PUSSY.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:27 PM

The lyrical content isn't anything new. The fact that educated hipster types with beards are calling it genius is what pisses people like Tegan & Sara off. Eminem didn't share his audience with the Strokes or the other buzzbands of that era...Tyler the creator shares the same audience as Panda Bear.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:27 PM

AS MY LORD AND SAVIOR PEACE BE WITH HIM HAS DECREED "AND WHEN THE TIME OF THE CREATOR IS NIGH AGAIN, THE RIVERS SHALL RUN RED WITH SOME OTHER BULLSHIT"

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:29 PM

And Some artists in Odd Future don't rap about anything like that. They have a TON of talent. Some are just musicians, producers, singers, they broke a fucking mold in the music industry.

Im not sure if they consciously did it but they filled a huge market gap for hip hop. There is a large audience out there for weird grimy gruesome sick hip hop. MF DOOM, KOOL KEITH, SLIM SHADY, PROOF from D12, people (i being one of them) love that shit and i hope odd future has as successful careers as these guys.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:31 PM

(Bastard was good though) What you think I record it for?
To have a bunch a critics to call my shit a bunch of horrorcore?
Like I didn't make Parade or Inglorious
Cause I'm too scared to tell my friends the way I really fucking feel
Of course they only listen to lyrics about me pissin' off
In the tombs of Lara Croft, I'm getting pissed off

Listen to Parade or Inglorious, or on his new album, Her. It becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly that his entire persona is not based around rape and shit.

Listen deeper than the music before you put it in a box

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:33 PM

She's a faggot

Posted by Dave | May 14, 2011 1:41 PM

All BV cares about is traffic. As long as Odd future is controversial, coverage will continue because it's good for traffic. And so lives on the hypocrisy of the left; sure, rail against the Westborough Baptist church and the KKK, but when a bunch of black kids do it in their music you white clucks eat that shit up with pride.

Fuck you ALL

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:49 PM

1:27PM
1:27PM
1:27PM
1:27PM
1:27PM

speaks truth.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:50 PM

I think part of the problem with looking at OFWGKTA is how eager everyone is to look at their homophobia and their misogyny as analogous.

Now, I am a fan, and I'm also someone who realizes that much of the subject matter is, on a surface level, depolrable. Furthermore, I know that on a grand scale, sexism, racism, and homophobia are equal. But the way that rape comes into play, and the fact that they use "f****t" so fre, come from different places.

Comparing an actual "rape fantasy" with calling a person using the aforementioned "second f-word" is the sort of exaggerated, slippery rhetoric that leads me to believe the complainant either hasn't heard the records, or picks who does, and who does not, offend them, depending on social convenience.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 1:58 PM

LSTENING TO MATTHEW BY K.K. REALLY GETTING ME

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:04 PM

fuck the Tyler and his bullshit. Listen to Babbletron, Cool Calm Pete, Junk Science some real hip hop.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:14 PM

How can you not enjoy this?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:19 PM

I don't take Odd Future's music all that seriously, but I applaud Tegan and Sara for telling it like it is. White people are afraid of criticizing black people, for fear of being labelled a racist. I also applaud Odd Future for saying whatever the eff they want. I love living in America.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:19 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:22 PM

Black culture, like a lot of other culture, has been on the skids for a long time now -- these idiots just represent a new low.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:33 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:36 PM

ICP for hipsters

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:44 PM

Much like Kris Kross, this shit ain't gonna age well.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 2:55 PM

Tegan and Sara suck. Odd Future sucks (except for maybe those Frank Ocean and Earl albums). Just go away already, and take Lady Gaga and Sarah Palin with you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 3:03 PM

"Much like Kris Kross, this shit ain't gonna age well."

You mean Tyler has THIS to look forward to?!?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 3:04 PM

Has anyone bothered to get Big Freedia's take on all of this?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 3:11 PM

Odd Future is a perfect example of the worst kind of hype. Mostly image and 'cool because everyone else thinks it's cool'.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 3:26 PM

What does any of this have to do with James Murphy?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:06 PM

too many people don't take rape seriously, he should get shit for it

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:11 PM

sup im 19 and this band sucks and goblin is an eminem album. burger is the only good new track. dunkaccino

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:15 PM

"I compare Tyler to Shakespeare. Shapesperes plays all had rape misogyny and murder in them and it was accepted as ART.

"

ahhaha holy shit new worst brookly nvegna comment ever

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:16 PM

Odd Future has No Future

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:19 PM

being offended by things is a sign of weakness. just say you don't like it..nerds

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:32 PM

1:49 Fucking WORD.

GZA was there last night as well. Everyone started shifting from saying wolf gang to wu-tang. It was mad funny

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:33 PM

that syd da kid chick is gay so it makes all good.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 4:51 PM

So what was everybody's position here when Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity were complaining about the Obamas inviting Common to the White House?

Posted by Jaguar | May 14, 2011 5:04 PM

So I guess any moron with a dirty mouth and a microphone is now the equivalent of Shakespeare?

What a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 5:27 PM

guys - this IS NOT ART. this is NOT satire, this is NOT irony, hell, this isnt even good music. and yes, I HAVE listened to them. generic beats, generic samples, generic spoken word rhythmless "rapping." tyler the rapist does not have the intelligence to understand what social commentary is. he is not trying to raise awareness about the degradation of women and gays and youre only embarassing yourself and your liberal arts degree by trying to defend him. shakesphere never said he was gonna 'rape sluts at the dennys'

lets face it, hipsters have no values or common sense. they'd walk around brooklyn in white hoods if they thought it was cool. i agree with tegan & sara (whose music, mind you, i dont really care for) having principals was what the counter culture was supposed to be about, it was supposed to be about FIGHTING misogyny, FIGHTING homophobia. you guys are so fucking stupid you cant even tell when your dancing to right-wing totalitarianist music in disguise - and actually think its SUBVERSIVE!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 5:33 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 5:40 PM

Anyone know any good nigger jokes?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 5:54 PM

"right-wing totalitarianist music in disguise"

Thats enough. Everyone just shut the fuck up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:01 PM

5:40 - Let's do it! Supreme logos on our hoods, it'll be sweet. I foresee a 9.7, BNM.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:01 PM

hey guys can i just listen to the music that i like and you don't?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:01 PM

What does a white baby turn into when it dies? An angel.

What does a black baby turn into when it dies? A bat.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:02 PM

"White people actually patronize blacks when they make excuses for black homophobia and reverse racism, the old "noble savages" excuse: "they're black, so they can't help acting like retards." That mentality is or should be offensive to both blacks and whites."

i made a very similar comment before but for some reason it didn't get posted (it got 'held for approval') but kudos to you for saying it in a more concise way than i did.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:04 PM

GAY BASHING IS SO EDGY..THANKS QUEST

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:07 PM

didnt see the show, still not impressed. and yes, im 30 years old.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:11 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:20 PM

this is clearly Sara reaching out for publicity. So sorry her Rules of Attraction copy cat haircut and lesbian crowd didn't carry her farther.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:23 PM

Guys, lets just talk about the fact that they played Highline(?)! Bowery Presents must be pissed they didn't book this shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:39 PM

just cool it and get down to Giorgio

-Giorgio

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:49 PM

I think people need to be reminded that these kids are like 20 at most and are typical skater assholes. I mean 'swag'? Really? I know people like these and you can meet them if you go to any skate park in Queens. They're the LA version of typical Forest Park Queens kids, who, I must admit, just happen to have a talent in rapping. BUT THAT'S IT. They're still idiotic kids rapping about raping and killing bitches. I don't even know why BrooklynVEGAN is covering their shit. Because you're all lemmings that eat up hype like it's Thom Yorke's dick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:52 PM

> The word 'artist' is thrown around far too loosely. Odd Future are just a bunch of jackasses with microphones.

I concur. The terms "artist" and "genius" seem to show up in reviews on a regular basis, and I feel it's a fairly great stretch to call this band either one. They're an act. Plain and simple. Here today and gone tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 6:59 PM

You mean all I had to do to be Shakespeare was get a mic and a beatbox and start screaming about raping bitches and killing crackers?

Who knew?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 8:15 PM

thats right!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:15 PM

Tyler is smart as hell, he is not an idoiot. really do some fucking research

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:16 PM

GOBLIN = Shakespeare's Othello

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:17 PM

Tyler is the crud sticking to the bottom of my shoe.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:17 PM

dude is an artist. for real you all hate to much open your eyes and realize that there is a lot put into his music. people just skim the surface of this shit and have no idea.

really just fucking listen. He explains on both of his records he is just a fucking bastard that is using music as his outlet. and the Yonkers video was directed by him. that was a really tight video.

Music is his outlet and he has the right to say whatever he wants
you do not have to listen....simple as that.

i also think they are all smart enough to realize they can't rap about that extreme shit forever.

Transelvania is my shit though

BITE HER IN HER FUCKIN NECK
BITE HER IN HER FUCKIN NECK

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:25 PM

Guys, stop acting like women...

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:50 PM

Tyler... Eat that hummus. Eat it all up now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 9:52 PM

??????????? I assume this guy & the majority of Odd Future's 'fans' won't be going to see Rakim play for free this summer.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 10:55 PM

>So if a band of white skinhead rappers come out in white hoods and says they want to re-introduce slavery and lynchings, is that considered outrageous and edgy as well? If we're not supposed to be offended by anything, I guess anything goes, right?

That's a very interesting statement, and it's one I actually hadn't thought of yet. I would probably find it equally disgusting. However, it does beg a very good question. And, I have to believe that people would be losing their shit and no music blogs and/or "artists" would be praising them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:06 PM

GIOOORGIOOOOO!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:13 PM

Ya niggas are HATING lol

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:42 PM

I appreciate the sentiment in the letter from the Tegan & Sara lady, but another question for me is; how did that group get to a place where people know who they are? Wow, I mean wow they suck! If you don't believe me watch some of their Youtube videos. They stink.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:45 PM

Niggers

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:57 PM

Hip Hop...this aint Hip Hop.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2011 11:57 PM

Anybody go to the Pharoahe Monch show this week?

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 12:08 AM

5:33, fucking yes.

You losers defending Tyler the Creator's "ingenuity" have no fucking idea what intelligence is. And to that moron comparing him to Shakespeare - my god, are you for real? My testicular spermatic cords have more intelligence than this kid's entire skull.

How about neo-Nazi skinhead bands? Do you asshats also defend them on the grounds of some pretentious, holier-than-thou "intelligence" that no one else can see?

Fuck all of you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 12:47 AM

Leave skrewdriver out of this. We were just joking.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 2:09 AM

I have no idea what peoples ages have to do with anything.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 2:31 AM

this guy is bullshit. What does it do for your mind Brooklyn Vegan to promote controversy? Give your effort of your blog to those that matter and LIVE it, not hype racist ego promotion garbage such as this.

THINK

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 2:39 AM

don't you guys realize that all of you sound like idiots. seriously, you're using words incorrectly while trying to have "an intelligent internet blog debate." this is not constructive. most importantly, nobody actually cares about what you think.

swag

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 2:47 AM

Hip hop is a joke to begin with ...

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 2:51 AM

"it takes courage to have opinions, it takes courage to have principals and actually fight for what you believe in. listening to odd future because you think its cool, your idiot friends think its cool and pitchfork says its cool makes you cowardly, ignorant, stunted posuer."

F YEAH. ROCK ON DUDE. I'll talk with you about this tomorrow when I see you at your crummy bottom feeding service job that you took for the health benefits. You know... the one you took because you couldn't get on your partners health benefits because s/he was the same sex as you. But yeah, you keep fighting the good fight on anonymous comment boards. Keep fighting that anti free speech first amendment fight while the rest of us pull your sorry f*****t ass along and earn your rights for you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 3:09 AM

"The gay community has highjacked the word "faggot". A faggot is a coward. A faggot is afraid. Not all gays are faggots and not all faggots are gay."

I suppose that we could just call such people pussies instead. As in "lokk at all those pussy hipsters!" But that would just upset the humorless cunt community.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 3:13 AM

ooooh 6:49pm comin in to save the day with Giorgio -- s'cuse me while I kiss the sky, tools

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 4:06 AM

I'm sure a lot of intelligent visitors to Brooklynvegan don't leave comments, but if I ran the site and then saw the kind of comments my readers post, I seriously might just shut it down.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 6:40 AM

Ari Shahdadi
@arishahdadi Brooklyn, NY
Corporate/IP lawyer at Gunderson Dettmer NYC, techie, sometime optimist.

ARI SHAHDADI IS THE FUTURE OF HIP-HOP.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 9:35 AM

Most of you have no idea what you are talking about. If you just fucking listen to one of the many odd future albums you would undertand they are the ODD FUTURE. they are sick and kids look up to them cause they are rebelling

for instance you might here KILL PEOPLE BURN SHIT FUCK SCHOOL and be like this is horrible, but if you listen to the whole track he puts the shit in perspective.

"Fuck your traditions
Fuck your positions
Fuck your religions
Fuck your decisions
They're not mine, you gotta let 'em go
We can be ourselves, but you gotta let us know
You gotta let 'em go

[Outro: Dr. TC]
You gotta let these shits go, man
It's not making sense to you right now but...
All these little dreams you got, they're not shit
All this rebellion, all this crazy shit you got, saying this shit
Getting too old for this shit, man, you gotta grow out of it
Growing up, your dreams are getting bigger
You gotta look at reality, understand that shit so you don't get caught
I'm just being real (Nigga fuck you)
I'm just trying to help you man, trust me
(Look, I mature day after day nigga
You don't know shit, you're a fucking therapist.)
Whatever.

they explain themselves on almost every track but you FAGGOTS don't' even listen or give them a chance. I think you all Jealous bitches.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 10:22 AM

i liked it better when the frogs were pretending to be gay supremacists.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 10:29 AM

Good luck in this so-called ODD FUTURE kids.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 10:31 AM

yard apes

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 10:51 AM

yeah here is the title track of his new album. Listen and realize this dude knows what he is doing. he is the realness. again goes on to talk about everything you all are talking about here.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 10:58 AM

all he talks about is rape

"have you seen quintin terrintino's movie????"

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 11:03 AM

Tyler is smarter than you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 11:40 AM

When people care enough to thoroughly compare Tyler to MF DOOM & EMINEM he will drown in there shadows. Tyler is seriously just ONE PART of Eminem's complex style. None of this is new, none of this. D 12 is the original odd future without the awesome R&B singer. Still, Odd Future is just as good & better than the entire hip hop game put together right now. I assumed Tyler would switch the content for goblin to shock us & show us were fools, but he didn't. I'll give him one more album before I consider him Eminem's huge mistake one horny night in Los angeles with Doom tagged in after his nut.

Posted by Goldstein | May 15, 2011 11:54 AM

monkey music

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 12:42 PM

so they can do like the beastie boys and apologize in a few years, then talk about 9/11 or tibet, but nobody will care because they're garbage just like the beasties

it's true they're young so they shouldn't be taken seriously but they probably shouldn't when they're older either, and they probably won't be, except by bloggers who are even dumber than they are and are trying to somehow make something out of less than nothing

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 1:17 PM

Everyone is missing the real point here. Regardless of how homophobic. mysoginistic, etc he is or isn't, the fact of the matter is, just like in comedy, cursing and using dirty words this much is the biggest sign of lack of talent there is. It's so easy. If cursing as much as possible is the new benchmark of good hip-hop than give me a week and my album "Fuck Bitches, Rape Cunts" will be the best rap record of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 1:17 PM

She was a girl from Birmingham
She just had an abortion
She was case of insanity
Her name was Pauline, she lived in a tree

She was a no one who killed her baby
She sent her letters from the country
She was an animal
She was a bloody disgrace

Body! I'm not an animal
Body! I'm not an animal

Dragged on a table in factory
Illegitimate place to be
In a packet in a lavatory
Die little baby screaming
Body screaming fucking bloody mess
Not an animal
It's an abortion

Body! I'm not animal
Mummy! I'm not an abortion

[Spoken]
Throbbing squirm,
gurgling bloody mess
I'm not a discharge
I'm not a loss in protein
I'm not a throbbing squirm

Fuck this and fuck that
Fuck it all and fuck a fucking brat
She don't wanna baby that looks like that
I don't wanna baby that looks like that
Body, I'm not an animal
Body, an abortion

Body! I'm not an animal
Body! I'm not an animal
An animal
I'm not an animal.....
I'm not an abortion.....

Mummy! UGH!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 1:23 PM

What is the hype about this guy??

-Ellen W (Baruch)

Posted by Ellen W | May 15, 2011 2:04 PM

Huh. These guys seem to get a pass too:

I got something to say
I killed your baby today
And it doesn't matter much to me
As long as it's dead

Well I got something to say
I raped your mother today
And it doesn't matter much to me
As long as she spread

Sweet lovely death
I am waiting for your breath
Come sweet death, one last caress

Sweet lovely death
I am waiting for your breath
Come sweet death, one last caress

Well, I got something to say
I killed your baby today
And it doesn't matter much to me
As long as it's dead

Sweet lovely death
I am waiting for your breath
Come sweet death
One last caress

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 2:19 PM

I think the "pass" for a group like the Misfits is due to the fact that they were never hugely popular and were putting out records before the mass media internet age of bloggers and iTunes. I do believe that music critics who were in the know liked the Misfits though, but if memory serves me right, they were very much part of the subculture. I suppose Tyler the Creator has already sold more albums than the Misfits ever did.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 2:30 PM

Tyler and Syd were cool. The rest of the group was horrendous. Soon it will just be "Tyler The Creator w/ Odd Future." And wtf is with Jasper Dolphin? I feel like he's a little brother that one of their moms made them drag along cuz he has no friends. That kid is the worst

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 3:26 PM

haters gonna hate

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 3:29 PM

Bodies was a brilliant song about a mentally disturbed woman Johnny actually knew who apparently raped by one of the male nurses who was supposed to be looking after her, which led to her having a back-alley abortion. The point of the song was to try and understand the emotional trauma she had gone through, without explicitly being pro-or anti-abortion. Johnny said himself of the song; "I don't think there's a clearer song about the pain of abortion. The juxtaposition of all those different psychic things in your head and all the confusion, the anger, the frustration, you have to capture in those words."

This is a perfect example of GOOD, intelligent, provocative art, and miles away from anything the dipshits in odd future could ever hope to convey. So thx a bunch for reproducing those lyrics in order to prove our point. :)

Posted by Holden | May 15, 2011 4:13 PM

and frank ocean sucked, dude cant sing

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 4:16 PM

@Holden4:13 - Who exactly deemed you the arbiter of what constitutes "GOOD, intelligent, provocative art"?

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 4:19 PM

@ 4:19 probably by the same person that appointed you as the enforcer of "GOOD, intelligent, provocative art"

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 4:30 PM

I could do without anti-gay slurs. But the reality is that it's a little tiring to watch people who fancy themselves to be edgy, progressive thinkers pick and choose who can be insulted. You either have to uphold certain standards of decency and decorum across the board, or you should shut the fuck up when others don't. I'm sure that somewhere I've emotionally wounded a hipster with my relentless mockery, so I don't get offended when people mock those of us who are really, really good-looking.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 4:42 PM

Fag @ 4:42

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 4:52 PM

First off, if a white male made a record of repeated shouts of nigger and jewish slurs, I sincerely doubt half of the comments on here would be defending him. What is truly sad is that the folks defending his bullshit are white middle class suburban transplants who fetishize the inner city black youth.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2011 10:19 PM

"First off, if a white male made a record of repeated shouts of nigger and jewish slurs, I sincerely doubt half of the comments on here would be defending him."

That's because a lot of nitwits get deeply confused when one of their mascots takes shots at one of their other mascots. It's the mental illness that is political correctness masquerading as nuanced thinking.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 1:55 AM

can we get a fucking nigger joke up in here you faggots????

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 8:41 AM

3:26pm

clearly that was his boy before they even became Odd Future, someone he possibly grew up with or is just really good friends with.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 10:13 AM

I hope some minorities gang rape someone you care about if you like this music. They suck asshole and you're going to get AIDS soon. You're all faggots! Faggots!

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 11:01 AM

black music culture in america used to be jazz and blues - now black culture is nothing better than this idiot. stand up, black and white, and bring some quality back to music and culture

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 2:38 PM

It'd be pretty funny to see you BV-types get lost on a dark street in Bed Stuy approaching a street gang of real brothers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 2:52 PM

id rather listen to old cannibal corpse

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 2:52 PM

I never support anyone that needs to bring others down in order to build themselves up. There are gay people that get picked on and bullied and there are women that have to deal with sexism. For someone to encourage others to treat people poorly or preach hatred and call it art that isn't something that I could ever buy into. Also, quite frankly being anti gay and misogynistic doesn't work if you're an indie artist.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 9:56 PM

I listened to some of the links people posted. Now, I'm only basing this opinion on this one song I heard but how does anyone support someone that completely rips off another artist (cough) Eminem. Right down to the gay bashing and misogyny. Apparently they both enjoy spreading negativity and hate through "art". Neither of them are worth listening to.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2011 10:05 PM

so much talk. no facts. post logic era. odd future.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2011 6:11 PM

I don't care what the hell they're rapping about or how offensive they are, the music sucks plain and simple. Hip hop is a joke and they're a bunch of talentless derivative hacks. Wow, so you can rhyme... congrats. Try playing an instrument, coming up with a melody, or writing a song that actually means something instead walking around on stage spouting this tough guy poser bullshit. I'm so sick of idiots like this getting so much media attention. Please ignore them so they go away.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2011 4:13 PM

By the way the comment at 9:56 was not regarding Tyler since I haven't heard enough of his music to form my own opinion on it. It was just a general statement directed at no one in particular.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2011 10:18 PM

Tyler's point isn't to bash gays or glorify raping women. His point is to piss off people who get their panties in a knot when people say terrible things. So he certainly succeeds. I would like to point out that Odd Future has a female in the group (Syd), who certainly appears to be a lesbian, although that's just speculation.

Posted by Deez | June 15, 2011 5:45 PM

I like it when people who have no understanding of hip hop try to criticize rappers who offend them. This shit is Eminem all over again.
Judging from the comments here I can tell that every hater on this page has listened to maybe 4 or 5 OF songs... probably just VCR, Yonkers, Earl, and AssMilk, if even.
Supposing you actually took the time to listen to their mixtapes, you would realize that 1) There are other rappers in OF other than Tyler, and 2) they rap about much more than rape and murder.
Sad, pretentious hipsters always feel the need to denigrate others for liking music they don't approve of. Let me break it down for you:
'Odd future Wolf Gang Kill Them All Don't Give a Fuck' is a multimedia collective of misfit teens and twenty-somethings from Los Angeles, California. They are young, nihilistic, and they rap about a number of topics ranging from terrible acts of violence to the pain of heartbreak.
Tyler the Creator is an average rapper with a great voice and a sporadic talent for production; some of his low-fi beats are great and others are garbage.
Earl Sweatshirt is one of the best rappers of all time for his age. His breath control is incredible and his flow is near perfect (albeit lacking in technical flourish).
The rest of the group are an assorted bunch: Frank Ocean is a solid R n' B singer; Domo Genesis is a standard weed rapper; Hodgy Beats and Mike G tend to spit gangster shit; and Syd and Leftbrain are producers/engineers. There are other members as well.
So to those who say that Odd Future has no talent, you need to know that you're stupid. You've either let your personal offense cloud your judgement or you simply don't understand rap.
OFWGKTA's great innovation has not been making homophobic rape songs. What they have done is bring punk rock energy to the world of hip hop.
I swear, you PC hacks need to give it a rest. If AssMilk was on TV the radio I could understand, but you people are "speaking out" against others listening to offensive music ONLINE. The beauty of the internet is that nothing is imposed on you; you search for what you want to hear. This means Tegan and Sara literally searched out Odd Future online, got offended by their music, and decided to call for moral repercussions.
Fuck these people. Fuck these self-righteous crusaders for meaningless causes. This whole situation reminds me of the anti-gay marriage brigade, where people rally in protest of what individuals do on their own spare time on the grounds that it is "morally reprehensible" when, in practice, being gay (and listening to OF) is of no real harm to anyone.
Just stop. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Posted by smoke wit cigawettez | June 24, 2011 1:22 AM

I disagree^
I feel listening to odd future is similar to drinking flat grape soda. It's just not advisable.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2011 3:36 AM

^ Well, you're entitled to be wrong.

Posted by smoke wit cigawettez | July 2, 2011 6:18 PM

Odd Future sucks. Tegan and Sara suck. But hipsters swallow. End of story.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2011 6:44 PM

I agree with a comment made earlier in this post. How can you think this statement released by Tegan and Sara is racist? It blatantly says, "I don't think race or class actually has anything to do with his hateful message but has EVERYTHING to do with why everyone refuses to admonish him for that message." It's more racist for people to admire the fact that Tyler is so offensive, because in our society it's okay for an African-American male to have these horrid thoughts and ideals because our society doesn't expect anything more of him. Why would anyone be okay with meeting the low expectations someone has set for them? When will we break the glass ceiling and be seen for more? What had our forefathers fought for? Surely not this message.

Posted by Anon | April 24, 2012 10:28 PM