Posted in music | pictures on May 31, 2011

photos by Josh Darr

Flaming Lips / Modest Mouse
Sasquatch

"Rockers The Flaming Lips have long had a reputation for extravagant live shows: Fake blood, torrential confetti downpours, animal costumes and comically oversized fists are all standard fare. The band's Sunday night set at this year's Sasquatch Music Festival was no exception, with frontman Wayne Coyne taking to the crowd in his over-sized bubble. Still, the band managed to make its big, flashy show feel like a more intimate affair.

While playing the landmark 1999 album The Soft Bulletin nearly in full, Coyne chatted genially with the audience, taking frequent breaks during "The Spiderbite Song" to relate the anecdotes behind the song's lyrics. Another set highlight, "Waitin' for a Superman" -- stripped down to a delicate piano and voice arrangement -- was introduced as a tribute to departed icon Elliott Smith. Although the band was forced to exclude a couple of songs due to time constraints, it delivered a personal version of what many consider its finest album." [listen @ NPR]

Sasquatch Fest ended Monday night (pictures from that day coming soon). Audio of many of the sets, Flaming Lips included, is archived for streaming over at NPR. Like Archers of Loaf, the Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Yeasayer, Flying Lotus and many others played on Sunday (the third of four days). More pictures from that day, below...

Tokyo Police Club

Other Lives

Beach House

Das Racist

Gayngs

Flaming Lips

Sasquatch

Flying Lotus crowd (pic by Flying Lotus from stage)

Yeasayer

Modest Mouse

Sasquatch

Archers of Loaf pictures HERE.

Day Two pictures HERE.

Day One & Day Two pictures HERE.

Day Four coming soon.

The Lips were performing "The Soft Bulletin" but they didn't have time to play all the songs because Wayne talked so much. Lame!

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 2:48 AM

heard bits and pieces of the new Modest Mouse songs. good stuff so far...

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 2:57 AM

2:48am so what songs they did not perform and if you ever seen F Lips before, you know at least 30% of the show is Wayne talking.....

p.s. modest mouse opened up with shit luck!

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:07 AM

OMG DID THE FLAMING LIPS CHANGE THEIR SHOW FOR SOFT BULLETIN?

Guess not. Who'd have thunk it?

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:21 AM

Its truly amazing that Gayngs perceives themselves as a super group or that their individual past groups were somehow ground breaking.

Out of this whole lineup I can respect Modest Mouse and Flaming Lips even though Im not a huge fan.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:27 AM

Modest Mouse have quite an extravagant reputation too. Like sexual abuse.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:31 AM

O: Can we talk about the rape accusation in 1999?

IB: It's an allegation that was withdrawn, and of course that didn't get any press. It was complete and utter bullshit, and the whole situation was so complicated that it's hard for me to go into lots of detail. At the time, I figured I'd just shut up and give this young lady enough rope to hang herself, you know? It fucked up my life once, and I'd prefer to just let it go.

O: Having [the Seattle alternative weekly] The Stranger give it so much play probably contributed to your wariness of the press.

IB: Before this all happened, I never believed that anyone would lie about rape. That was my stance: No one lies about this shit. It really made me have to adjust my entire view of people, politics, and my own personal politics. I used to be like, "Kill rapists!" And all of a sudden I have this false allegation against me. I remember totally writing people off that I'd heard had even been in just awkward sexual situations with girls, like "That guy's a fucking prick, I'll never talk to him again." It was weird being on the receiving end of that. A friend of mine who's actually friends with that girl recently told me that she had totally withdrawn having said anything. I only just found out about that myself in the last six months. I knew that basically everyone, up to and including the police, was like, "This is bullshit." This person changed her story depending on who she was talking to. It was really just this fucked-up, weird thing.

O: Did that make you think twice about your level of fame? If you weren't The Guy From Modest Mouse, it wouldn't have been the story it was.

IB: There were a lot bigger things I was displeased about at that point, like friends betraying me. Dann, who's in my band now, wouldn't even talk to me anymore. He did what I probably would have done, which is lean on the side of error. You don't want to be the person saying that it's bullshit in a rape allegation.

O: It seems like that's what people know about Modest Mouse, even if they've never heard the music. And you've never really defended yourself explicitly before.

IB: There's only two people for a fact who know what the fuck went on, and I have always been really comfortable with what I know. I never really spoke about it much, because there's no actual way to prove it. You can believe me if you want, or you can not. I always want to talk to that girl, to see where she's at right now. I'm not even pissed at her. She was young and it was a stupid fucking thing to do. I just want facts on paper, I don't want speculation. What's it been, about five years? It still affects my life. Anyone I've ever dated has had to deal with people pulling them aside and saying, "What are you doing with this guy?" People love that sort of shit. None of the shit that came up afterward got a story. I had to find out from someone else that she'd withdrawn it. That seems newsworthy to me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 4:24 AM

^ that post was so long and in depth, it made me work up an appetite. Where is my food processor? It's time to mash the chickpeas.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 5:33 AM

shrug life

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 6:36 AM

Wayne the Windbag Coyne should do some spoken word tours if he likes hearing him self talk so much.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 8:57 AM

New and Improved Flaming Lips. Now with more Fraulein!

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:15 AM

sasquatch is a ripoff of coachella minus the coke and hot girls.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:20 AM

Flaming Lips setlist? Probably the same as yesterday's. Or last years.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:28 AM

I always thought Wayne Coyne was pretentious as they come anyway. Maybe his excessive rambling is just a symptom of it?

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 9:49 AM

flaming lips ... same set(s), same costume(s), same song(s), same album(s), same shtick(s) as they've been doing for 10+ years now. fercryinoutloud wayne, give the damn bubble a rest and do something different.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 10:01 AM

Flaming Lips should just set up a theater in Las Vegas and perform this same set forever rather than taking it around. 99% of us have seen this same set over the past 10 years, so the only ones left to be wowed are elderly gamblers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 11:00 AM

^ And get Penn Jillette to MAUL them!

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 11:26 AM

>Modest Mouse have quite an extravagant reputation too. Like sexual abuse.

you're painting with a very broad brush there, my friend. i was living in seattle at the time of that event that you speak of. and to be clear, it wasn't the band. it was brock that the issue is about. and to be honest, as someone involved in that scene of music and journalism at the time, most locals will tell you it was all a bunch of bullshit. so there. take your billyburger-loving, sorry-parent-supported-ass and go find another blog to troll. asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 11:34 AM

forget the talking, just RETIRE THE FUCKING GIANT HAMSTER BALL ALREADY.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 3:57 PM

And here I thought I was the only person that thinks Wayne Coyne is:

a) a pretentious dick, and
b) out of ideas

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 4:44 PM

Is there really nothing about Sharon van Etten? Or am I still Sasquatch drunk? Nothing about how great her set was, the song she dedicated to robin Hilton (NPR)? She was lovely and is a mainstay of this site.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 6:56 PM

4:44: No worries. Don't let anything stop you from saying that (see you're not the only one, haha!).

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 8:35 PM

all you flaming lips haters can eat a dick!

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 10:38 PM

Whatever you say, chumley.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2011 10:49 PM

>sasquatch is a ripoff of coachella minus the coke and hot girls.

Just made it back home from my 24 hr drive from Sasquatch. Having been to coachella 3 years in a row I gotta say Sasquatch was more enjoyable all around.
Also there was plenty of coke and hot chicks. They just wear more clothes than at coachella.

Tip: Plan ahead to avoid the ripoff concession stands ($3 water 5.25 soda 9-12 beer etc) There's no car search like coachella so you have no excuse but laziness if you don't bring in enough booze, smokes or whatever.

Would definitely go back again.

Posted by kS | June 1, 2011 9:50 AM

Wayne Coyne is an old tired perv

Posted by Anonymous | June 1, 2011 3:26 PM

I was wondering if you had any more pictures of the dancers on stage during the flaming lips? i was one of them and wanted some pictures. Thanks!

Posted by Maggie | June 2, 2011 5:06 PM

@Maggie...contact info...

Posted by Josh | June 2, 2011 11:28 PM

Holy shit! I'm the fellow painted like a bird, blurrily photobombing the second photo from Modest Mouse! I just wish I didn't have such a stupid expression on my face.

And I actually know the young lady who was looking for more photos of the Flaming Lips dancers, so I'll remind her to get in touch with Josh, if she hasn't already (it being January and all).

Posted by Alex | January 21, 2012 10:51 PM