Posted in music | pictures on May 23, 2011

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

"Last night I saw Thurston Moore at the Music Hall of Williamsburg (amazing) and Thor (ugh, not so good - the trailer fooled me)." - James Dye

Thurston Moore

Thurston Moore celebrated the release of his new album 'Demolished Thoughts' at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Friday night. He plays again tonight (5/23) at Other Music. Get there early for a chance at getting in to the free show. Info and more dates HERE. More pictures (including one of the setlist) and some videos from the Brooklyn show, below...

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

I Feel Tractor

Thurston Moore - January, live @ Music Hall of Williamsburg, NYC

Thurston Moore - Never Day, live @ Music Hall of Williamsburg, NYC

Thurston Moore - Mina Loy, live @ Music Hall of Williamsburg, NYC

They played strong but the band seems stiff. Stiff can work but it's nice to see bands have more fun on stage. Will come after more gigs??

Posted by Sgt Face (!) | May 23, 2011 10:23 AM

At least the merch seems reasonably priced.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 10:26 AM

Why have a drummer onstage if all he's gonna do is brush the cymbals a few times and stare off into space? There was zero propulsion to the material. And the droning droning droning notes, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Boring show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 10:26 AM

i love thuston - nearly the full range of solo stuff he puts out and nearly everything SY has put out too - but this show put me to sleep... i'm sure i'll be able to enjoy the songs on the album from time to time, but as far as a concert-going experience, this was unengaging.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 10:34 AM

Damn you drummers for starring into space!

Posted by Astronaut in Space Who Doesn't Like Being Seen (!!) | May 23, 2011 10:37 AM

I don't remember Friend, I don't think he played it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 10:39 AM

i thought the show was awesome.

the fratboy who kept trying to get thurston's attention was not.

"EPIC FAIL. ME! DURR!!" Dude shut up, Thurston doesn't think you're cool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 10:40 AM

Sounds great to me. Digging the sound and vibe.

Posted by Son of Kong | May 23, 2011 10:40 AM

ok show, last solo show was way better tho (probably because the last solo album was also way better)

and not that it matters but the loud guy wasn't a fratboy, just an incredibly high boy

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 10:54 AM

@10:26:
Q: "Why have a drummer onstage if all he's gonna do is brush the cymbals a few times"
A: Because sometimes that's all that's called for from a drummer in a song.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 11:04 AM

only boring hipsters get bored

wait - all hipsters are boring

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 11:58 AM

oh man. fri/end was on the setlist and he didn't play it?

argh. my favorite songs from tota. :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 12:35 PM

@ 10:40 and @10:54

actually, that guy was a good friend of mine who I drove to the show from Long Island. He also happens to be autistic. He certainly was not a frat boy, nor was he high. He might not be able to gauge appropriate behavior in certain social situations, but its only because he's able to genuinely appreciated both the album and the show on a level than you guys could ever dream of appreciating. I'm sorry if him blurting things here and there and telling Thurston "You're the best in the world we all love you Thurston" might have ruined your own experience. It shouldn't. But every anonymous person on Brooklyn Vegan always needs to find a reason to bitch about every little thing as if you don't have anything else better to do with you're lives.

What if I told you my main man Bdee also happens to be a musical genius and could probably school the both of you guys in sonic youth history any day of the week? What if i told you he was a dedicated student of SY and is able to tune his guitar in any one of their tunings from any album they've recorded and play flawlessly? He's recorded literally thousands of songs and recorded over a hundred albums. No joke. In fact, one of these days I hope you'll be able to appreciate him for who he is on the other side of the stage, because if there is any prolific songwriter begging to be heard from Long Island, its that guy.

As far as what I thought of the show, It was very very beautiful. I've seen Thurston solo a number of times when Trees Outside The Academy came out and it seems appropriate that Demolished Thoughts continued in the softer direction Trees was heading into. I was fortunate to get a sneak peak of the new stuff when I saw Thurston do a solo set at ATP last year, and I absolutely love the album. The new songs are spacey, intricate and beautifully climactic. Personally, I did prefer the older band, I'm glad he kept Samara around, and the new guitar player and harpist were excellent too, though I do think his drummer could have done what Joey Waronker did on the recordings better justice. The recordings did sound laid back, but seemed more percussion based, and less full kit, though this is just me being over critical; I believe this was their very first show as a full band. They still need time to gel, I'm postive they will. Anyway, I certainly walked out of that show moved, regardless of the critical gibber jabber I'm writing about here, It was a very beautiful performance.

Posted by Will | May 23, 2011 12:54 PM

Was Eileen Myles playing music behind that dude with the flannel and hipster hornrims?

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 1:19 PM

^^^^^^

Too long, no read.

Posted by JT | May 23, 2011 1:19 PM

he looks like the bass player from the feelies

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 1:22 PM

@12:54 ah, guess that's what happens when you make judgements based on 5 minutes of observations at a concert. my bad.

Posted by 10:54 | May 23, 2011 1:40 PM

i'm not buying it

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 2:05 PM

no harm done 10:54.. you certainly don't seem like a bad dude, solely based on these anonymous comments brooklynvegan haha

Posted by Will | May 23, 2011 3:34 PM

no harm done 10:54.. you certainly don't seem like a bad dude, solely based on these anonymous brooklynvegan comments haha

Posted by Will | May 23, 2011 3:34 PM

I love Thurston but the new record is a total snooze fest despite what some people are saying about it. I'm not going to give the guy a pass just because he's Thurston Moore. He's no Kurt Vile and the record is far from Beck's Sea Change. Based on the reviews, it was a wise choice to avoid this show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 3:55 PM

I'll challenge any autistic kid regarding SY knowledge---I just hope he doesn't cry when he's devastated by my superior SY intelligence.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 3:58 PM

wow he's aged horribly. now he looks like the serial killer from last action hero. and exactly that interesting.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 6:18 PM

@3:55
I can see what you're saying.. I agree that you shouldn't give the guy a pass just because he's Thurston Moore. Personally, I think Thurston was really influenced by Kurt Vile as far as the songwriting of this album goes. Listening to Childish Prodegy and Smoke Ring For My Halo, verses Trees Outside The Academy and Demolished Thoughts, I can certainly see why he likes Vile so much. And as far as the mellowness of Demolished Thoughts goes, respect Thurston's artistic direction to grow and develop into the "Indie Rock Elder" that he is. He's had plenty of music throughout his career that was loud. The guy is freaking 52 years old, and he's been doing this since his early 20's. Give him a break. If you'd prefer his older work, give it a listen. Its all still readily available for anyone to enjoy. Just because its not NOW doesnt mean it doesn't exist.

and @ 3:58
When it comes to art, or when we analyze any body of work for that matter, we humans take what can get from it to enjoy, learn and grow. don't turn the rich history of a band like sonic youth and turn it into a dick measuring contest. get a life. and piss off too.

Posted by Will | May 23, 2011 6:32 PM

Yeah, fuck you, too.

You're as bad as Rollins holding up Shirin Neshat as some kind of human shield of sensitivity as you monopolize this thread with your autistic buddy. Dick-measuring contest? Hard to do when your nuts have sucked up into your body cavity because of all your self-righteousness.

Philosophically speaking, of course.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | May 23, 2011 7:38 PM

ooooooohh easy there crosseyed sniper. i must've struck a damaged nerve in you. impressive name dropping and choice of vocabulary as well, i might add. obviously a human of your caliber must have better things to do than bitch about every negative aspect of every show you attend, and everything you see for that matter. shit, why don't you stop and take a deep breath and remember this is entire argument is some BS banter on a very informative blog. next time you try to comment, stop being a bitch and look at the positives, not the negatives all the time. I'm sorry if i overstepped my boundaries by calling you out, my friend, but frankly, i'm tired of all you negative nancys bringing everyone else down. give peace a chance, friend.

Posted by Will | May 23, 2011 8:02 PM

@3:55pm, he's no Kurt Vile?!
Shut up!

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2011 10:10 PM

those who didn't like thurston's show can suck their own dick and lick their own vag...

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2011 12:46 AM

If we could do that, we'd never leave the house.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2011 11:10 AM

yeah saves a lot of money.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2011 12:40 AM

If we could do that, we'd never leave the house.

Posted by mcdonalds stock market | May 28, 2011 6:30 PM

Who is in the oven where the tree seems to grow into a lawn of fingers.

Posted by Tiimiy | January 14, 2012 12:16 PM