Posted in music on June 18, 2011

Twin Sister (more by Tim Griffin)
Twin Sister

Bill didn't have a chance to write a Saturday Northside guide, but since we did do one for Thursday and Friday, I want to at least quickly continue the trend. Here you go:

The big show of the day, today, Saturday, June 18th, is without a doubt Guided By Voices, Surfer Blood, Wavves and The Babies at McCarren Park.

Guided by Voices 7pm
Wavves 6pm
Surfer Blood 5pm
The Babies 4pm
If you don't have a badge, $35, or just don't care, there's also some good free afternoon shows you can pop into at Matchless, Spike Hill and the Woods.

There's no BIG show tonight, but garage giants Thee Oh Sees, who played a secret show at Death By Audio last night, should please at Brooklyn Bowl (where we found out the "secret guest" is Reptar who are also playing Governors Ball today) while Twin Sister and Allo Darlin hold it down at Music Hall of Williamsburg:

Twin Sister 11:30pm
Allo Darlin' 10:30pm
Ava Luna 9:45pm
Gabriel & the Hounds 9pm
If you miss The Babies at 4pm, they also play a midnight set as part of Academy Records & Other Music's showcase at Public Assembly tonight. it's right next door to the Music Hall show, you can run back and forth.

Fiery Eleanor Friedberger plays a show at Europa instead of in a church.

Meanwhile over at Union Pool the Sub Pop sister label Hardly Art showcases some of its bands: Woven Bones 11:30pm, Fergus & Geronimo 10:30pm, Colleen Green 9:30pm, Xray Eyeballs 8:30pm.

Those who like to enter Altered Zones will probably be chillin' down at 285 Kent. Flyer reposted below.

Bill hopes to make it to Knitting Factory by midnight to see White Fence. They go on before their tour-mate The Strange Boys, whose next album is coming out on Rough Trade, as part of the late show at the venue. The early show at Knitting Factory features Alela Diane (whose newest album came out on Rough Trade).

Look at the full schedule at Northside's site. Look for even more shows in "What's Going on Saturday."

flyer

SNOOOOZE

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 5:46 PM

LOLZ

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 6:01 PM

FROHAWK IS AT MCCARREN PARK EVERYBODY.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 6:16 PM

285 kent is a fucking sweat hole death pit. buy a damn air conditioner if you want us to get down to teengirl fantasy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 7:11 PM

GBV killed it

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 10:13 PM

"GBV killed it"

Oh my, yes they did. Not too humid, not too hot, sun under clouds until sunset, not too packed... what a great night. 3 encores doesn't hurt either.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 10:30 PM

Frohawk has a crazy booty.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 10:47 PM

cholos

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 2:35 AM

GBV was great. super loud too. Twin Sister was wonderful. can't wait for the new record/tour!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 3:46 AM

GBV was real good as always but for those of you who didnt go to Maxwells or Irving Plaza I feel bad for you. MUCH MUCH better shows.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 4:07 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 7:08 AM

> Well considering a lot of kids in front were 16 to 20 years old (and knew all the words) I feel GOOD they were able to see what a real rock band is.. and GBV delivered yesterday ! lets not forget also that the Maxwells & Irving shows were 21+ and ($70 +)

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 8:41 AM

"I feel bad for people who didn't see this line-up 15+ years ago. MUCH MUCH more relevant."

I saw them multiple times 15 years ago, and it never occurred to me to feel sorry for anyone who was at McCarren Park last evening

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 11:30 AM

What an unnecessarily pretentious and prickish comment. So people can't enjoy them now? 15 years later? Give me a break

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 12:53 PM

"lets not forget also that the Maxwells & Irving shows were 21+ and ($70 +)"

70 bucks for a much smaller more intimate space with better sound equaling a better show. Not a problem AT ALL

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 1:11 PM

"lets not forget also that the Maxwells & Irving shows were 21+ and ($70 +)"

I went to both. Irving SAID 21+ but it wasn't. No one checked ID's unless you wanted a wristband to drink. And Irving could have been bought on StubHub for 10-30 dollars day of.

Posted by citybug | June 19, 2011 1:28 PM

Hearing "Over the Neptune" made my night.

Long live Rockathon!

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 1:42 PM

with better sound equaling a better show.

>> The sound was great yesterday.... cant see how any would complain about that..

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 3:36 PM

^^^^ The sound yesterday was ok but if you are trying in any way to compare it to Maxwells or Irving, may i suggest that you should spend as much time as you can in Terminal 5. I'm sure you would think the sound there is awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 4:58 PM

i wasn't comparing it to anything since I wasn't at Maxwells or Irving I was just making a simple statement. It sounded very good to these ears yesterday (especially outdoors where sound can very a lot) I cant imagine the sound being so exceptional at those other shows that it made any vast difference in the listening experience.. and ironically i was at the Terminal 5 show and in that case the sound was sub par enough to make it less enjoyable...
..Simply put on a scale from 1 to 10 if the sound was a 8.5 yesterday and Maxwells/Irving were a 10 (going on your description) i don't see that making a big impact but if it was like a 4 like Terminal 5 was then yes that could definitely ruin the experience...

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 8:18 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 11:38 PM

Best live show I ever saw was GBV at Maxwells in early '95. They played for hours. When they ran out of songs, they started playing them a second time. Then they did covers. Then, finally, they started making up songs on stage. It was a beautiful drunken train wreck by the end.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2011 12:19 AM

"I went to all three shows (and saw GbV way back in the day a number of times) and I can say that the show yesterday was much better than Irving or Maxwell's. "

Clearly you are lying. You were not at either Maxwells or Irving. Fucking Twat.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2011 12:53 AM

The Brooklyn What?

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2011 10:14 AM

That was a fun GBV show but I must admit the GBV crowds have become increasingly douchier over time. What is with the beer showers? People need to consider that not everyone is as committed as they are at fucking 7:30 on a Saturday evening.

Posted by Smack | June 21, 2011 12:00 PM