Posted in interviews | music | pictures on June 27, 2011

words & photos by Keith Marlowe

The Bronx on a boat
The Bronx

"We've been a band for a long time, and we've toured all over, and I'll tell you shows like this don't come around very often. We're on a boat going around New York City, and for a couple of you, this is gonna be the best night of your life. This is as good as it's ever gonna get. It's just a long slow slide to death from here," Matt Caughtran told the sweaty crowd from the top of the speaker stack on the Queen of Hearts last Wednesday (6/22).

The Bronx played their first album from start to finish, and closed with a bunch of songs off their last two records. People were clutching the ceiling to keep back the constant push of the crowd, coupled with the slant of the boat to the back where the stage is, and the constant rocking from the water. Anyone who got on top of the crowd had to keep themselves from smashing into the top of the boat as they got tossed around. A couple times I heard the unmistakable sound of skulls hitting metal over the blaring music. And I got yet another opportunity to hold a mic so people slamming into the stand didn't smash out a friend's front teeth while he sang. Boat shows are great for that. They closed out the night with the brutal "History's Stranglers" that had everyone screaming along 'Motherfucker I want your bloooooooooooooood.' Awesome.

Cold Fur opened the show, announcing this was their fourth show as a band, also their first and possibly last boat show. Cold Fur played a fast, heavy set, which is what you'd expect from a band made up of dudes from Rye Coalition and the Want.

The Bronx returns to town Tuesday night (6/28) to play a free show at Brooklyn Bowl as Mariachi El Bronx with Th' Legendary Shack*Shakers and The Two Man Gentlemen Band.

I've known the Bronx guitar player Ken Horne for about ten years, from him touring as the lead guitar player for the Dragons. They used photos of mine on their albums on Junk and Gearhead records. I got a chance to talk to him a bit at Union Pool after the boat show. Our chat and more pictures from aboard the Queen of Hearts are below.

=====

Keith Marlowe: You joined this band after the Dragons? What's the difference for you between the Dragons and Bronx?

Ken Horne: Being in the Bronx and Mariachi El Bronx is great. When I joined the Dragons, those guys were older than I was, had homes and families, so they just didn't travel as much as the Bronx does. With these two bands, I've been all over the world, just such a great experience, and I have the opportunity to play two completely different kinds of music.

How many days a year are you on tour as one of the two bands?

A lot. 250, I guess. Maybe more.

And sometimes you play as both bands.

Yeah. We've been touring like this consistently for the last couple years, since the formation of Mariachi El Bronx.

Does one band get the foot in the door for the other?

Totally. And Mariachi is all acoustic, so we can play with the backline and just a drumset, and have the Bronx equipment set-up behind us. It's cool because one band gets asked to play a venue that the other might not fit in at.

The Rocks Off boat....

Cold Fur

Cold Fur

Cold Fur

Cold Fur

Cold Fur

Cold Fur

Cold Fur

The Bronx

Their second full-length release, Mariachi El Bronx (II), comes out in August, and they will be opening for the Foo Fighters in September and October, with Rise Against and Cage the Elephant.

The Bronx - 2011 Tour Dates
6/27 Cambridge, MA Middle East
7/1 Norway Hove Festival
7/9 Chicago, IL Subterranean
8/7 Lympne, UK Hevy Festival
8/20 Ludinghausen, GER Area 4 Festival
8/21 Grosspona, GER Highfield
8/23 Nijmegen, NL Doornroosje with OFF!
8/24 Amsterdam, NL Melkweg with OFF!
8/26 Glasgow, UK Rock & Roll Damnation with Mariachi El Bronx
8/27 Reading, UK Reading Festival
8/28 Leeds, UK Leeds Festival

Mariachi El Bronx - 2011 Tour Dates
7/2 Borlange, SWE Peace & Love Festival
7/10 Chicago, IL Lakeside/Dave Matthews Band Caravan
8/9 Nurnberg, GER Hirsch with Gogol Bordello
8/10 Luxembourg Den Atelier with Gogol Bordello
8/14 Budapest, HU Sziget Festival with Gogol Bordello
8/18 Gampel, GER Open Air Gampel Festival
8/26 Glasgow, UK Rock & Roll Damnation with The Bronx
8/27 Reading, UK Reading Festival
8/28 Leeds, UK Leeds Festival
9/18 Austin, TX Austin City Limits Music Festival

i am so fucking stoked for that show tomorrow. first, i thought it was rad that shack shakers were playing for only 5 dollars, but then when i finally get around to buy my ticket, i find out it's now a free show with.... mariachi el bronx? who are these guys? is this the bronx? yup. could never really get into them but i totally dig this mariachi side project. only thing i've been listening to for the past 4 days. and the shack shakers put on one of the best shows i've ever seen. tomorrow night is going to be excellent. anyway -end rant-

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2011 10:54 PM

Jeff Bridges from Starman in top photo, on acid.

Am I right or am I right?

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2011 11:01 PM

Sausage tat fest hit your head on the roof yall.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2011 11:41 PM

1141, you have no courage to walk up to a girl so why do you care?

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2011 11:49 PM

You know not what you talk of 11:49 PM what so ever.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:24 AM

Major label punk, lol.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:26 AM

fuck... i wish i went to this

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:19 AM

I just don't get how a band from LA can all themselves "The Bronx" and get away with it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 8:25 AM

wnyc feigned interest in this mehlticulturalism

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 8:28 AM

Nice shot of Ellen Degeneres's new tattoo above!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 8:48 AM

I'm so glad to see Michael Chiklass not suffering any downtime since that dramedy got cancelled. I had no idea he could sing. I wonder if they do the theme from The Shield ... pro'bly, right?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 8:59 AM

I'm confused, this isn't another F'd U post?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:00 AM

As a great man once said: "The Bronx. No thonx."

Posted by donn | June 28, 2011 9:30 AM

8:59 the theme from the Shield is amazing.

livin' the good life

THROW YOUR HANDS UP!

ju-ju-just anotah daaaaaaayyy

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:33 AM

this is so original! bunch of dudes with tattoos going nuts. i want to be just like them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:36 AM

8:59, they don't do the Shield theme song, but they do The Commish one.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 10:03 AM

Hipsters hate rock music. This show was amazing!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:10 PM

All you motherfuckers are gonna pay, You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna fuck your mothers while you watch and cry like little bitches. Once we get to Brooklyn and find those Internet fucks who are running this blog, we're gonna make 'em eat our shit, then shit out our shit, then eat their shit which is made up of our shit that we made 'em eat. Then you're all fucking next.

Sincerely,

Posted by Matt bronx | June 28, 2011 12:54 PM

i think I see one female in one of the pictures. So apparently the show was 99% male. Keep handing over your money to the tattoo parlors ham hocks...

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:09 PM

To Matt bronx (sic):
Lighten up, Francis.
That is all.
Back to your sausagery.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:11 PM

haha yes rev. Caughthtran! Preach! Love this fucking band... lol at hipsters who ant apprwciate the genuine artcle. Go listen to some local natives or some other garbage your kind 'likes'.

Posted by mmike | June 28, 2011 1:18 PM

Hey mmike, here's a little something for you to "apprwciate"
eat my shrots

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:19 PM

It is so clear from these pictures that the attendees shown here were a few days shy from the liberated frolicing they enjoyed on Sunday afternoon. This was the warm up - the exuberance of the parade eclipsed this. Flags out, boys!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:23 PM

It is so clear from these pictures that the attendees shown here were a few days shy of puberty.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:41 PM

you ain't getting a fucking penny from me you talentless fat fuck!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:02 PM

sausage with a side of ham

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:11 PM

Being cynical that it's mostly guys with tattoos at a hardcore show makes me feel old as fuck. The Bronx are one of the best hard-core punk bands out there and even if that's not your thing, Mariachi El Bronx is amazing.

Complaining that it's a sausage party, while at the same time, upset that you aren't attracted to the singer. Have fun with that struggle.

What have you beautiful people made lately?

Posted by Jesse | June 28, 2011 2:32 PM

Not all of us choose concerts based on the stated preferences of our Asian-American OkCupid date, or the prospect of spying a beautiful smile from across the room so we can run home and post a whimsical missed connection about a mysterious pixie girl who spun us into a daydream that lasted through Cults' entire set :)

It's a shitload of fun going to a show and freaking out with your best friends. Y'all should try it, while simultaneously shedding your deep-seeded fear of someone accidentally stepping on your foot.

I am a full-grown man, and I love The Bronx

Posted by Andy C. | June 28, 2011 2:39 PM

uh excuse me.. these guys are not fat enough to compete.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:40 PM

Andy C.
Come out of the closet already, sister.
You KNOW you want to.
You and your best friends.
You really need to let that pent-up homosexual angst out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:53 PM

All over your face, baby. Swallow that shit whole.

Posted by Andy C. | June 28, 2011 2:58 PM

Hey everybody - Andy C. is wearing his mom's thong. That hootchie thing that used to turn all the bikers on.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:06 PM

An lastly, before I change into my mid-afternoon tank top, does anyone else find it ironic that a self-proclaimed bastion of progressiveness like Brooklyn is using homosexuality as a veiled insult, not three days after landmark civil rights legislation was passed in this state?

In the words of storied NBA 13th man Shavlik Randolph: "As long as you don't bring your gayness on me I'm fine."

Posted by Andy C. | June 28, 2011 3:14 PM

I was in the Bronx once... It's like a hummus desert up there. I won't be returning.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:43 PM

hardcore-rarrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 4:00 PM

Nice article and great pics - looked like a lot of fun! However, after reading the comments posted, it would appear that most of the people who regularly visit Brooklyn Vegan would appear to be bunch of fucking assholes and I don't think I'm going to support this site anymore. Later cock smokers!

Posted by Jesus | June 28, 2011 4:13 PM

take your macho testosterone fueled shitty music and shove it fuckers!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 4:54 PM

Jorma is sooooooooooooooooooo hot!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 5:29 PM

seriously though... If men could have babies, I'd want to have his.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 5:31 PM

These comments are like so gay, and you fuckers typing them are likewise. Nice job. I'd say that I am with 4:13, but he's obviously the gayest of the bunch.

Freakin Aye, is ANYONE heterosexual anymore?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:04 PM

I'm with Jesse. The Bronx is amazing. The first time I heard them was when they opened up for Bad Religion. I can hardly ever pay attention to opening bands if I don't know them but They held their own and I have been a huge fan ever since. Oh and by the way, I am a 26 year old female. So not about to go through puberty or a dude.

Posted by Rachelle | June 29, 2011 3:17 AM

I just think its funny that all the shit talking is done by "anonymous" that's worse than a tough guy over the phone, internet tough guy.be a man/woman and talk shit to peoples faces. If not, shut the fuck up!

Posted by Thaddeus robles | June 29, 2011 4:40 AM

P.S. Skull stabbers for life puto!

Posted by Thaddeus robles | June 29, 2011 4:43 AM

I hate to sound like somebody's mom, but if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. If you don't like a band then don't waste your time on them. Stick to the tunes that you do like. I love The Bronx and their Mariachi alter ego. It's hard to find anybody out there doing music and staying true to themselves as much as these guys. There is no "image" or specific style here. You can't label these guys as punks or hipsters or anything else. They are just who they are. Even if you don't like them, you have to respect them for doing what they want to do, doing it incredibly well, and making it work. Everyone should be so lucky to find this in their lives. I've lived in NYC, Brooklyn, SanFran. Each place has their growing faction of "too cool for school" hipster. It's a bummer that this crowd has grown so judgmental and "holier than thou".

Posted by PistoleroPedro | June 29, 2011 8:53 AM

i read 8:53's comment in deadpan and it's the funniest thing ever written here

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2011 9:26 AM

Good article about a great band. I've seen the Bronx multiple times and they play their asses off. So you talk shit about them and hurl adolescent homophobic insults at them and their fans. But given the chance wouldn't you pile onto a boat to watch your favorite band play? I bet you would. So show a little respect for a band that works their asses off playing two completely different styles of music and killing it on both fronts... Or don't and keep trolling message boards and carrying on with your elitist bullshit, I don't fucking care.
Commence the anonymous shit talking..
Love,
Zak

Posted by Zak | June 29, 2011 9:46 PM

Nice one, Matt. Straight outta Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back! I think they all missed the joke. Classic.

Posted by Brian | June 30, 2011 11:59 AM

I've never gone to see a band where the majority of the audience were women and no one had tattoos. I guess this is me coming out of the closet according to some of you.

Of course all crowds look lame, people go to shows for the music...at least I thought they did.

Posted by aj | June 30, 2011 4:45 PM

About what I expected from a site named Brooklyn Vegan. Thanks for the laughs, Andy C.

Posted by Yeah... | July 6, 2011 11:47 PM