Posted in metal | music | pictures on June 8, 2011

photos by Keith Marlowe and Harriet Roberts, words by BBG

Guitar Wolf
Chaos in Tejas

"I have just returned from seeing Guitar Wolf, the legendary jet rock and rollers from Japan. I have wanted to see this band since I first bought one of their albums at the seminal Wax Trax record store in Boulder, Colorado in 1998.(I think it was the first thing I ever got there oddly enough, along with a Motorhead compilation) So needless to say I was excited. I mean the thundering Link Wray riffs that made you ready to rumble with some Socs, the frenzied two to three minutes of every carnage filled song, and of course the amount of aliens killed in their cult film Wild Zero made me excited to see the men in black this evening.

And you know what...it wasn't that awesome." [nomoretvparty]

Saturday (AKA day three) had a few options during the day at Chaos in Tejas. Keith & Harriet took full advantage of those. First they caught sets by Tragedy with Mind Eraser (they missed Omegas) at a sold-out Emo's indoors before heading to Beerland to catch The Marked Men (again) with Night Birds. After a lull, the duo went back out to catch a show at Red 7 outdoors, where Guitar Wolf (who the above reviewer didn't enjoy) was playing with Off With Their Heads, Underground Railroad to Candyland, the Mind Spiders, Cheap Time, and the Hex Dispensers (who they missed). Pictures from their whole day are in this post.

If you missed it, check out more pictures from Chaos in Tejas Day 1 (part 1 HERE and part 2 HERE), Day 2 (part 1 HERE and part 2 HERE), and the rest of Day 3 before continuing, below...

Mind Eraser by Keith Marlowe

Tragedy by Keith Marlowe

Night Birds by Harriet Roberts

The Marked Men by Harriet Roberts

Cheap Time by Harriet Roberts

The Mind Spiders by Harriet Roberts

Underground Railroad to Candyland by Harriet Roberts

Off With Their Heads by Harriet Roberts

Guitar Wolf by Harriet Roberts

Guitar Wolf by Keith Marlowe

chaos in tejas, day 4030

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 11:11 PM

@11:11, right? Holy shit enough already, fuck Texas and whatever the fuck this thing is.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 11:20 PM

I can't tell from the pics.... was it hot in there?

Also, are tattoos 'in' with white people?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 11:28 PM

Apparently sausage runs eternal...

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 11:46 PM

GTFO

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 12:10 AM

Austin is the new sausage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 1:12 AM

It will be over soon...thanks for the coverage of an awesome festival. No matter what state it is in.

Posted by TXn | June 9, 2011 2:43 AM

guitar wolf are awesome live. that reviewer is a choad.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 3:42 AM

This fest overall looked pretty damn good for at least 60 percent of the bands who played.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 4:11 AM

i love this coverage! keep it up BV!!! fucking haters are fucking idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 8:27 AM

Rufio. Rufio. Ru-fi-oooohhhhh.

Posted by The Real Real Yup. PERIOD | June 9, 2011 9:27 AM

Nice Angry Samoans "Back From Samoa" tattoo on the singer for Night Birds!

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 2:58 PM

A response to the review from "nomoretvparty" at the top of the page......

I was also at the Guitarwolf show at Red 7, and took the some of the photos that were on the BrooklynVegan site. I unfortunately agree with you that this was an underwhelming show for Guitarwolf, but as someone that has seen them multiple times, Euclid Tavern, CBGB's, Santos, Knitting Factory....., I gotta tell you that they usually put on a killer show. I think this was just as off night for them. I didn't think they were terrible, but it was probably the least interesting set I've seen them play in 15 years.

I thought the fingersnapping and dragging that kid onstage for like 15 minutes was excessive and boring. Nobody is there to see some kid try to play guitar, we're there to see Seiji shred. I cringed when he pulled him BACK out of the audience to play more.

Having said that, I completely disagree with your claim that they haven't gone away long enough for anyone to miss them. When they don't tour, I miss them. Also, they never went away because they NEVER BROKE UP. They took a short break in 2005 when Billy, the founding bass player and one of Seiji's best friends FUCKING DIED. They picked up U.G. and were back playing shows by September 2005. Most bands wouldn't survive a loss like that. I've seen them multiple times since then, and always thought they were still one of the best touring bands I've ever seen. There is no way this is a band that's "limping" along, as you claim.

I'm not trying to slam on your opinion, but I don't think you can dismiss a band on the basis of one show. And seriously, how did it take you THIRTEEN YEARS to see them after buying a record? You couldn't have been trying that hard, if you REALLY wanted to see them.

Here's a link to some shots from a much better show at Santos last fall: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/10/guitar_wolf_pla.html

Anyway, I hope you like them more next time they play. Hopefully it won't be another thirteen years.

See ya,
Keith

Posted by keithmarlowe | June 9, 2011 5:26 PM

texas vegan

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2011 1:41 AM

Well part of not seeing them was being into them when I was under 21.(which is why I didn't see them during their Planet of The Wolves SXSW appearance) By the time I was 21 they never played anywhere I was living and in my opinion had released an array of boring albums...the ones they still seem to be releasing.
Guitar Wolf have rocked and been great, but it feels like they are in this phase like the Rolling Stones, who also still release albums when they probably shouldn't phase(Bigger Bang... anyone?). And even the Stones stopped for a while because Jagger and Richards spent most of the 80s hating each other, which of course only served to respark interest in the band touring again. Cranking out the rock for so long and still putting out stuff is admirable, but as a lapsed fan hearing a great combination of hits and really lighting it up might be exactly what I need to revisit their catalog and understand what made them so magic.(which is exactly what Blues Explosion are doing with current rereleases and doing an expansive tour for the first time since 02.) Perhaps on another night, but as you said yourself it was underwhelming. That's exactly the right word. I was underwhelmed. I didn't hate it, but I did walk away saying this band had it, but don't anymore.
And you can always dismiss a band on one record or one show, just like you can praise them for one show or one record. Sometimes it isn't a band's night, but the performance and impact of that evening will determine if I spend money on them, recommend it to people I know, or make a point to follow what they are doing.
The shots from the last show look great though! And I appreciate you taking time to comment and discuss, because I can tell you are a big fan and I like when people defend their bands!

Posted by nomoretvparty | June 10, 2011 5:33 AM