Posted in music | pictures on June 3, 2011

photos by Eric M. Townsend

this1

So what exactly is a human dance tunnel supposed to look like?

Electronic dance wizard Dan Deacon laid out his vision, and it looked something like this: from the front of the Budweiser Stage to the top of the concrete staircase leading to the Comcast Theatre bandhshell, hundreds of B.O.M.B. Fest attendees stood in parael rows, locking hands above their heads as a stream of people shimmied through the mass.

But just before kicking off the audience-wide dance party, the pied piper of blip had just one more rule: "Safety first, everybody! Safety first!"

Deacon, whose choreographed, synth-spastic boogie processionals have earned him legions of head-smashing fans, bases his idea on a unique philosophy: the wall between artist and audience should be torn down.

"When I perform solo, I'm playing back and forth with the audience," said Deacon, who performed at B.O.M.B. Fest Saturday. "It's not about watching me; it's about the audience watching each other and letting lose." [CT News]

Dan Deacon continues to prove that no venue is safe from his human tunnel. Like he did recently at the Museum of Natural History, he successfully made the tunnel at the Comcast Theatre in CT on Saturday. More pictures of the games below...

DANCE MONKEYS! DANCE!

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 12:39 AM

it's anthony's weiner

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 2:34 AM

i love how he has to divert the audience's attention towards silly gimmicks so they don't notice how bad his music is

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 3:55 AM

Is this a hummus based version of the loco-motion?

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 4:58 AM

3:55am speaks the gospel! so true

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 6:15 AM

channel 59

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 6:37 AM

is this counter-culture?

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 7:33 AM

Dan Deacon made the human centipede.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 7:43 AM

when hipsters are old - you know, like 35 - they will look back with glee on moments like this.

then they will sob quietly, that they were never cool, and never will be.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 7:48 AM

Smelliest tunnel in the world

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 7:49 AM

"we don't care about the dolphins, we just want out tuna tasty"

-channel 59

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:14 AM

oh my god, this is gold:

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:16 AM

Thank goodness Mr Deacon did not try to worm his way through said tunnel

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:30 AM

Hey Dan D--khead, concentrate on making music that doesn't suck! That's all!

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:41 AM

It would suck if you ended up holding hands with a fellow dude for the tunnel. It's like the uncomfortable feeling you get when the dancefloor is a total brodeo.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:49 AM

Waking up one day, and realizing you attend festivals like this one, must be a very uncomfortable feeling.

Check your head.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:54 AM

let's start complaining about the Deacon tunnel commuters...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:54 AM

all we need is that ugly chick from Ponytail to start a bridge and we'd have the worst bridge & tunnel folk EVER

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:55 AM

Next Dan Deacon will make his fans do the Hokey Pokey.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 8:57 AM

who's chair is this? that's not my chair.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:00 AM

you're all dicks...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:02 AM

i don't know what to say...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:15 AM

channel 59

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:16 AM

Kill me please.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:19 AM

WHITE PEOPLE

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:22 AM

I went to the B.O.M.B. Fest and definitely agree Dan Deacon's sets are just playful gimmicks to make the audience forget the music isn't so great.

This fest was a huge failure, by the way. The crowd was so small and you could literally walk up before any band's set 5 minutes before and be right at the rail. As an attendee, it was a big plus for me and I saw a slew of good bands who never play the area (HEALTH, Woods, Real Estate for example) but it was just a strange, strange experience seeing all those bands on huge stages at such a commercial venue like the Comcast Center. A report I read said that even though 70% of proceeds were supposed to go to charity, they didn't make enough to even donate. People think they can start festivals in any part of the country now, but this was a great example that not every area has a market for eclectic music.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:22 AM

Day 1's lineup wasn't that bad. Had it took place on the Williamsburg Waterfront, it'd be the talk of BV.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:25 AM

Who the fuck cares?

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:28 AM

Dan Deacon stood near me during Woods set. He smelled pretty ripe.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:32 AM

He looks like b.o.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:35 AM

Totally off topic but the last time I saw was part of a human tunnel, there was this incredibly awful couple who were not only talking during the whole tunnel construction but were talking about TMI info. The guy kept asking her "Do you like my 7 and a 1/2 inches? Do you like 7 and a 1/2 inches? Is it the biggest you've ever had?" Yeah bro you're cool.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:36 AM

It actually just looks like a bunch of dumb bros Eiffel Towering with each other, but what else is new...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:43 AM

Nice resurrection of the 7.5 inches. Almost forgot about that one.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:44 AM

Yeah, 9:44 I had to change it up a bit though because if you copy it word for word from the original, the comment gets filtered out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:48 AM

9:22,

I still have no idea why they thought they needed to move it to the Comcast Center. Probably could have just held it in that fat kid's backyard who introduced each band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:52 AM

dan deacon needs to reunite channel 59. i bet those guys keep bugging him to.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 9:55 AM

cracker

ass

crackers

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:05 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:06 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:06 AM

really??? 7.5 inches is filtered out, but hummus isn't?! fascinating.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:06 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:07 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:07 AM

When is Dan Deacon going to make the human hummus bowl?

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:08 AM

sissy spacek has aged beautifully!

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:09 AM

10:05 is a narrow minded racist

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:10 AM

10:05 is just a homosexual who loves saltines

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:11 AM

9:52, they anticipated to sell 10,000 tickets a day and Danbury/the college where it was supposed to take place got worried, so they were forced to move it.

I felt so embarrassed while watching that kid introduce each band. He came out in "zaney" costume changes before each act (Why do CT people still think it's okay to wear Hurley clothes?) and I saw him jumping around/rocking out over-excitedly in the back while watching Wavves with Bethany and Bob from Best Coast who had a "WTF" look on their face as they watched him. Did you head over to the small stage on the left where the older MILFish square type public relations lady was introducing the bands? She was wearing a form-fitting dress that showed she was wearing a string thong, and her pre-written intros were so so funny to hear ("Our next band is a new band. They considered to be indie rock... Please welcome Real Estate!") as the bands had such a WTF look on their faces. I'm pretty sure most of the Saturday bands will never step foot in Connecticut again.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:13 AM

P.S. They only ended up selling 8,000 tickets in total over the two days it was held, a far cry from the 20,000 that was anticipated.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:14 AM

God, please go away...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:16 AM

It's a good thing I didn't go to this. I would have been forced to waste a perfectly good DUNKACCINO by pouring it, scalding hot, over Deacon's head causing him severe burns.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:16 AM

it's a good thing i didn't go to this. I would have been forced to waste a perfectly good container of Sabra by heating it to boiling point, and then dumping it over Deacon's head, causing him severe burns.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:23 AM

bomb(ed) fest

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:27 AM

It's a good thing I didn't go this. I would have been forced to have an Eiffel Tower with some guy I didn't know and a pasty farm girl with cottage cheese thighs, and then dumping my spooge over Deacon's head, causing him severe AIDS.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:27 AM

I FUCK YOU WHERE YOU BREATHE!
I FUCK YOU WHERE YOU BREATHE!
I FUCK YOU WHERE YOU BREATHE!

GANSTER TALK, I FUCK YOU WHERE YOU BREATHE!

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:30 AM

Is this some kind of demented hipster pep-rally?

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:34 AM

sheep

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:39 AM

I HATE ALL OF YOU.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:39 AM

ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Dan.. its called salad... look into it..

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:45 AM

Dan.. its called gastric bypass... look into it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:51 AM

Dan.. its called hummus... look into it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 10:52 AM

KID CUDI / ALOE BLACC / DJ IRIE / TAMARA SKY playing TERMINAL 5 on JUNE 13 - event includes OPEN BACARDI BAR. tickets guarantee admission

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 11:03 AM

hahaha at first i wuz lyk cant believe a dan deacon post still warrants 60+ comments but these are all hilar

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 11:08 AM

i'm from CT and i can tell you that people don't like music. good or bad - doesn't matter. they're just not into it. it's too bad that the festival didn't do well. i'm sure some people put a lot of honest work into this...

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 11:22 AM

They like music in CT as long as it includes Staind or some country shit.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 11:27 AM

This type of festival probably would've done better in NJ.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 11:49 AM

Fucking hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 11:59 AM

Ah, whiteness.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 12:24 PM

This could possibly be the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 12:25 PM

Buncha cunts.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 12:37 PM

Looks like nearly the entire crowd participated, leaving the rest of the stands pretty much empty. Sad photo.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 12:46 PM

dan deacons's 15 minutes are near up? but wait isnt he scoring a coppola film? i dont get it.

also he looks like he smells like piss and BO.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 1:05 PM

i lol'd. these pics are embarassing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 1:07 PM

I want to be part of a human centipede with Dan

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 1:19 PM

dan deacon is fat

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 1:41 PM

The other two stages had some shitty local bands playing at the time, so yeah, pretty much all of the few thousand attendees were at Dan Deacon.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 2:03 PM

i like dan's music. and so does francis ford coppola. haters keep on hating your life.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 2:19 PM

Dan Deacon and Frohawk, sittin' in a tree ....

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 2:34 PM

no Jack Johnson no care

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 2:48 PM

B.O.M.B. Fest is a non-profit organization that aims provide local talent the opportunity to share a stage with national talent. And also donates money to charitable organizations that support the arts. Definitely a good cause.

Also, Comcast is a GIANT venue. Definitely larger than a 3rd year festival can fill. But it was move to Comcast or cancel. And everyone that went had a good time so what does it matter!

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 3:12 PM

9:22 - the fest was AMAZING until you showed up

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 3:39 PM

Respect 3:12

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 4:48 PM

Damn, this thread is chock full of me

Posted by Dicks | June 3, 2011 5:24 PM

I was one of those people at the "human dance tunnel" and nobody is mentioning that when you entered the tunnel, dan deacon would hand you a pita triangle and assure you there was a hummus platter awaiting at the end to dip into. But alas, there was no hummus platter, and the disapointment was profound.

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2011 7:47 PM

know what isn't filtered out? kicball katy's huge tits and how i want to gag her with my cack.

Posted by Anonymous | June 4, 2011 12:33 AM

dan deacon is sooooo fat

Posted by Anonymous | June 4, 2011 12:55 PM

i live in CT, its pretty much the cover band capital of america..Bridgeport is a pretty cool city though

Posted by Anonymous | June 4, 2011 4:25 PM

First of all we want to thank BV for all the great coverage and the DD tunnel was one of the coolest things i have ever seen! much love -- keep it up!

ok, on to the hater crowd...

1. unlike all you cowardly haters, my post is not anonymous.

2. get your facts straight, not even going to waste my time giving you the facts.

3. we actually still did donate a large sum of money to all of our beneficiaries, cause we are real unlike you cowards who sit there bashing other people anonymously on someones blog -- wow, talk about never being cool -- sad but true!

4. there will be a bomb fest 2012 and we will continue to give money to children's charities. bet that really pisses you off!

5. one more, unleashing on someone for their weight is not cool, no matter how much of a moron you are -- FYI - didn't you get any morals from your parents? bet they are really proud!

6. try to not hate so much, you might actually get something out of life!

peace!

Posted by Jason Deeney | June 5, 2011 12:33 AM

1. Posting anonymous is fine... This is a blog, not the declaration of independance.

2. Thanks for not wasting my time. I don't want to waste your time either.

3. It's cool to donate money to charities. But even cooler if you donated it anonymously. Just like my anonymous comment that I am donating to you Mr Deeney.

4. The year 2012 is way to far into the future to even discuss, yet alown even plan. But it's pretty cool that you want to do it again. I like outdoor festivals.

5. There is nothing wrong with a good fat joke. I mean, personally I do prefer hummus based comedy, but I like a good fat joke too.

6. Sometimes people aren't really "hating" they just haven't had their morning coffee or perhaps need a smoke, I think you be the one that's hating on these "haters".

PEACE!

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2011 5:48 AM

Like whatevs.

Posted by Jason Deeney | June 5, 2011 11:36 PM

To Mr. Jason Deeney:

This is 9:52am/10:53am. I posted Anonymously above and will do so again here, so apologies in advance if that offends you.

Perhaps you should give us the facts rather than not "waste" your time, because the facts that I have show the event was a massive failure. I'm referring to this article in the Hartford Courant (http://www.courant.com/entertainment/music/sound-check/hc-bomb-fest-analysis-20110529,0,872619.column) where the facts collected came straight from the horse's mouth, organizer, Frank Bombaci. It says, "The biggest drawback, unfortunately, was significant: B.O.M.B. Fest was billed as a fund-raiser, with all proceeds going to charities including Connecticut Children’s Medical Center in Hartford and Paul Newman’s Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in Ashford. WITH NO PROCEEDS FROM THE FESTIVAL, WHICH LOST MONEY, the Bombacis will contribute themselves."

What that means is that the event failed at its purpose. You say it donated to the beneficiaries but you're hiding the fact that the money came from the organizers' purse and not from those who attended the festival as it was intended. That is not considered a success. It's called saving face. Hell, I could have went to any of the charities and gave them something myself. Would B.O.M.B. Fest then take credit for that, too, and call their event a success?

Finally, I had a great time at B.O.M.B. fest regardless of how it failed from a business perspective because it gave me the opportunity to see a lot of bands from Saturday that usually don't play regionally, and with a really thin, intimate crowd to bat. That was a really cool thing to experience and I appreciate those bookings but at the same time, the realist in me knows that without some big changes, there's no way a repeat of that experience will happen again (and I pray it doesn't for your non-profit's sake.) I don't know how that makes me a "hater." It just makes me rational.

Advice?
- I could have done without the big name draws like Weezer and Snoop Dogg. In fact, I did. I left after Best Coast and didn't find Sunday's lineup to be as strong to even attend. Continue booking the smaller indie niche bands like the ones on Saturday, which I assume will lower the cost of tickets and drive up purchase volume.
- Obviously the commercial feel of Hartford's Comcast Theater wasn't the greatest and made for an odd, ironic venue (which wasn't your fault.) Perhaps scale back operations to a smaller venue (and again, book smaller indie bands that won't put you in the position of fearing overcrowding) in a unique destination location that will make the B.O.M.B. Fest as much about the scenery as it is the music. The problem with that is I'm just not so sure if the New England area has much of a thriving alternative music scene -- The closest being Northampton, MA, but speaking from experience, even attendance out there is pretty sparse for great shows.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2011 10:45 AM

Look can we all just be honest here. Festivals sell well because of the bands booked. Unless you have some sort of strong brand (Coachella, Bonnaroo), booking a number of bands that usually play 500-1000 capacity clubs in NEW YORK CITY (not even Hartford) is not going to fill an ampitheater in the middle of CT. If you don't have the budget to shell out for big name acts that's fine. But, look at the current facts: Weezer is a theater act at best these days and Snoop Dogg barely sold out the Gramercy Theater here in NYC. They might have been big names one day, but just don't have the draw anymore.

Like commenter 10:45 said, put the festival in a smaller setting, make the middle card heavy and you can draw 3-4k people without blowing a huge wad of $ on "big" headliners.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2011 11:45 AM

i want to apologize if i came on too strong in my last post, and to those that posted after me i actually agree and respect the feedback -- some quite relevant.

you can look at it in two ways. it was either a failure or a building block. it was either a financial loss or a growth year in which a brand was discovered -- a model where unsigned artist can play with the bigs and all "proceeds" go to charity. with all due respect, does it matter if the money comes from my bosses pocket or your pocket? every dime leading up the event came from his own pocket so if he wants to still donate to the charities that he backs, why does anyone care if it came from a result of a positive bottom line or not -- of course we want to be in the black and on day will be. from a fan perspective (as far as i know) everyone that came had a wonderful time. we upheld all elements to their highest and spared no expense to give everyone the show we promised -- stage, sound, lights and all -- top notch! for those that were there... you can't say the production wasn't rocking on every stage. as for the choice of big headliners versus more of the killer emerging artist... i am torn. we want people to come see the those up and coming greats but need some familiar names to give the unfamiliar a voice -- just the way it is -- unfortunately, but like i said, the stage is set for everyone to do their own thing. we had 28 local bands, some of them got to play on the same stage and share the same dressing rooms as snoop dogg, weezer and the rest.

with that said, i again retract my tone from my last post, but maintain my position that we did what we had to do and in my eyes did a pretty good job -- all things considered. i am also wrong in saying you should not post anonymously cause to be honest, that's where the truth comes from.

i hope you check out some of the footage on youtube and our facebook page -- good stuff and keep on expressing yourself!

2012 bomb fest -- working on it... stay tuned...

Posted by Jason Deeney | June 7, 2011 12:19 AM

Thanks Jason for the insight. I just wanted to add it was very cool that Bombaci donated money to the charities regardless, but I just wish he had some help from the fest's supporters as it was advertised. It puts a damper on things.

For what it's worth, the 2nd or 3rd Coachella almost didn't happen either and was in the red, so here's hoping. At the moment, I think the area is a tough sell for this sort of festival (especially in an increased oversaturation of festivals everywhere) but at the same time, the CT/MA area needs something like this because it's a huge, vanilla bore haha.

- Anonymous 10:45am.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:27 AM

no problem and thanks for our feedback. i am confused though, if the festival needed money to pay for production, security etc, and did not break even how could the money have come from the festival supporters (the attendees)? no matter how you slice it, bombaci wanted to give and the bottom line from the festival just wasn't there, so he gave. the supporters still should feel that their money went to the cause, and we are very grateful, just wish there were a few more of them. still blows me away that this line up didn't draw. we had three nights of phish to compete against and strangecreek. that coupled with the fact that it was memorial day weekend made it tough, but still...4000 people a day, ouch! :)

Posted by Jason Deeney | June 8, 2011 3:58 PM

It's amazing you were even able to put together that lineup considering Sasquatch was happening on the other side of the country and Primavera Sound was taking place over in Spain. A lot of those bands fit the demographic of those festivals.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 2:04 PM

Congratulations for posting such a useful weblog. Your blog isn’t only informative but also very artistic too. There normally are very couple of individuals who can write not so simple articles that creatively. Keep up the great work !!

Posted by jocuri | August 31, 2012 6:26 AM