Posted in music | pictures on June 7, 2011

Paul & David @ Webster Hall -- photo by Ryan Barkan
Paul Simon and David Byrne

An already excellent show was made epic when David Byrne surprised everyone by joining Paul Simon on stage at Webster Hall to perform two songs during the encore last night (6/6). First Simon and band backed David as he sang Talking Heads hit "Road to Nowhere". Then, like they did at BAM in 2008, David and Paul traded verses on Simon hit "You Can Call Me Al". A full review and set of pictures (more like the above) from the Monday night club show are coming soon. In the meantime check out some videos people posted to Youtube, below...

Boy in the Bubble, opening song. June 6, 2011

Paul Simon - Here Comes the Sun 6/6/2011

Paul Simon & David Byrne - Road to Nowhere 6/6/2011

Paul Simon & David Byrne - Call Me Al 6/6/2011

Great show. Little scary when Byrne tripped and fell over a speaker. But kinda funny.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:08 AM

"epic" is a pretty strong word, probably best used for the non-BV crowd who sees one show every 5 years. This was pretty much the same format as his other small venue shows, right?

That being said, it was a very good show...Paul knows how to entertain the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:13 AM

"This was pretty much the same format as his other small venue shows, right?"

Other small venue shows didn't have David Byrne.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:21 AM

It was cool he played You Can Call Me Al. He basically took it off the setlist for this entire tour, and I heard him say "not tonight" when someone shouted out a request for it.

Great show though.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:27 AM

i agree that epic is a strong word, but this show was definitely close to that level of greatness. i had a blast, excellent show!

Posted by bobby the rookie | June 7, 2011 1:28 AM

Webster hall sure does know how to oversell a show

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:45 AM

I go to many many shows, and epic is too weak a work to describe this show. It was brilliant in every aspect. Definitely show of the year. Lots of fun, great music and sound, , great guests and covers, and a band that makes most bands out there look really weak.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:46 AM

I danced with the pop star Robyn the entire show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:59 AM

I see 4-5 shows a week and that was a fine show, a good one, not epic and not shmepic.
First 4 songs you couldn't hear paul's voice, first hour his singing was so-so. After that evertything has improved.
But how can you do a new york city show without "me and julio" on the setlist? Common!

Posted by Me | June 7, 2011 2:05 AM

This show blew away his Beacon shows, and based on the previous shows, was probably his best since reopening Beacon in '09. Last hour and a half was truly epic.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 2:22 AM

It definitely got off to a slower start and really took off as the night went on. But I think a 10 song double encore that includes Paul Simon and David Byrne doing "You Can Call Me Al" rates as better than "a fine show," @2:05. Maybe I'm going to all the wrong shows, but I thought it was pretty damn great.

Strikes me as the type of show that the people in the front loved and the people in the back only liked. Buncha grumps back there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 2:48 AM

Great show...happy I got in (eventually), but I saw Paul ten years back, and maybe it was just my memory, but it was a "better" show, but tonight was certainly more memorable.

Set list was great and varied, and I was very happy to see Byrne take stage...clearly makes the show better than "fine." I got killed two birds with one stone: saw Simon in a small club and got to see Byrne take stage, so that was price of admission right there. Simon looked like he had fun, and the crowd appreciated it.

Dislikes: Webster did seem to oversell...I read the fire co. was called? Is this true? I was settled in near the bar by the soundboard for first half of the show, and the talkers, talked...and loudly. I know you get that during every show, but even during The Sound of Silence (irony) people kept talking about their bullshit day jobs...(not saying work is bullshit, hipsters), but just shut your mouth.

Merch was pretty crap, and I liked how the poster had the door times on it and not the performance time...stopped me from buying one, just seemed weird...PAUL SIMON...6:30PM, NEW YORK.

GREAT JOB BV, thank you Paul, David and all the rest up there tonight...it gave us all a reason to not feel so bad missing the Melvins, who I am sure put on a great show tonight too...which reminds me, did anyone manage to do a double header?

Posted by BLG | June 7, 2011 4:12 AM

David Byrne, showing up unannounced at other people's shows since '04

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 7:30 AM

"David Byrne, showing up unannounced at other people's shows since '04"

I was going to post something similar. A David Byrne appearance nowadays is almost expected.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 7:38 AM

Was a very good show, and Simon's band is disgustingly talented.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 7:59 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:22 AM

Coachella 2012
1) Talking Heads
2) Radiohead
3) Daft Punk

hence why it's two weekends now....get ready.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:37 AM

talking heads will NEVER reunite. keep dreaming.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:45 AM

Epic epic Epic epic Epic

Epic EPIC Epic Epic Epic

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:53 AM

I love how some people on here that didn't get to go, or had a bad time or just are horrible people want to piss all over everyone else's good time. Epic show? If it was epic for the poster, then let them have their glory. Do they go to 10 shows a week, like you? Who cares - the thread was never about you.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:54 AM

That show was much better than I expected. This guy really brings it, even at nearly 70 years old. He can still bring such poignancy and subtlety, even with the distractions of a live situation in what is in effect a bar with clanging glasses and loud talkers. I was brought nearly to tears on several occasions just but the transparency of lyrics that I have heard millions of times before, because they were Paul Simon's lyrics to begin with.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:57 AM

I just want to thank @8:22 for leaving early and giving more room for people that weren't whiny assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:58 AM

setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 8:59 AM

Camper Van Beethoven does Key Lime Pie, Godspeed You Black Emperor does anything, Elvis Costello on April Fool's Day, now Paul Simon at Webster Hall .... this is turning into an epic first half of 2011.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:00 AM

Set list was nearly identical to the 9:30 and other gigs on the tour (see previous posts). Except for David Byrne mini set (Road To Nowhere and You Can Call Me Al). And maybe Still Crazy After All These Years.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:03 AM

I hear that it's not so hot and crowded back in Iowa. You should go back there 8:22 - you are obviously not from around here.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:07 AM

David Byrne joining Arcade Fire on stage at Irving Plaza for the encore was extremely memorable. I have no doubt that last night's appearance will evoke similar feelings. I saw Byrne perform with Simon at BAM in 08, and it was amazing.

Posted by Dan | June 7, 2011 9:07 AM

"Not to bring back a shitty meme, but the older dude behind me, totally brought a younger girl off craigslist from a ticket trade and he was talking about his seven inch."

left side of the stage, about a third of the way back?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:08 AM

845am....that's what people were saying about pavement and archers....

trust me, it'll happen.

along with at the drive in and fugazi in the near future.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:11 AM

I know Talking Heads, and Pavement, and Archers Of The Loaf ... but who the fuck is At The Drive In and why should I care if they reunite?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:15 AM

fugazi never broke up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:19 AM

"It was so hot and crowded I left early. I've seen him many times, and this was certainly not up there."

hahahahahah lolzzz. this is funny

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:19 AM

^^^"who the fuk is At the Drive in" I hope u are trolling. If not, u really ned to get out more h0ss

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:20 AM

Lets ban "epic" and get you fools a thesaurus.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:21 AM

at the drive in were an extremely overrated band who broke up just as they got famous, and its members went on to form some very crummy bands whose songs are heavily featured in the Guitar Hero series

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:25 AM

ANON 9:15 , really?? Time to get involved with some other genres of music. ATDI might be the most influential band for the modern era of prog rock. Not to mention their off shoots the Mars Volta and Sparta who also kick a$$ in their own rite

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:25 AM

At The Drive In is good and all, but lumping them in there with Talking Heads is going too far.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:25 AM

let's ban 9:21 and get him ass raped by a buncha B&T homeboys

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:26 AM

9:25 ... my point exactly

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:27 AM

oh great a thread about a great special concert by a living leagend and we're talking about at the drive in ... who's the troll?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:28 AM

Sparta!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:33 AM

"Epic" would have required a 4th encore, because that was kind of a slow, weird way to end, and going all the way to 11pm, but the man is almost 70 years old! Let's give him some credit for doing over 2 hours in what was definitely an over-heated and over-crowded and overly-chatty club. The David Byrne encore definitely made it very close to epic, as did the moment after Byrne left when we realized the show was still going to go on.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:34 AM

Sparta owns paul simon and whoever this david burn guy is with his flawless gray locks

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:38 AM

"but the man is almost 70 years old! Let's give him some credit"

totally agree. and Paul sounded AMAZING. compare his live show to other 70 year old rock legends..

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:43 AM

9:34, On the scale of Epicness this is only a 7.9, which is good, but not good enough to be Truly Transcendent in its Epicness.

It could only reach a perfect 10 of Epicness if Garfunkel was flown in from the rafters and they did a medley of songs from Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:50 AM

"Epic" would be Paul Simon introducing Dr. Van Nostrand, who comes on stage with a lab coat on, says nothing, and injects Paul Simon with a syringe filled with a mysterious neon green fluid. Then, before your very eyes, Simon miraculously starts to transform into the Paul Simon we all know and love from the 1980 film One Trick Pony.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 9:56 AM

I am a HUGE Paul Simon fan and overpaid to see him at the Beacon day of. I was SO HAPPY to get tix to this show for face through the Brooklyn vegan presale.

The show was GREAT--vocals were off for the first few songs, but sound guys fixed it and the band heated up as did Paul.

One question, Why, why, why, why would an artist with such a history, such a wide array of songs, such a beautiful discography, so many jarring, beautiful melodies, play the EXACT SAME SETLIST that he played in the SAME CITY a few weeks prior? It was absurd that I could tell you exactly what song he would play next, even during the encore! Being that he's one of my favorite artists, I still had a blast. Change of scenery from Beacon to Webster hall was much appreciated and being able to dance and move around was so nice. And David made me smile and dance that much more, but come on!! He played the SAME SET! SAME SET! SAME SET! Drop Crazy Love, add Graceland. Drop Still Crazy, add Duncan. Add a third surprise encore of Boxer solo acoustic for added epicness. Drop Boy in the Bubble and play GRACELAND!! Play Me and Julio!

Paul has so many great songs and for him to be playing the same set every night is a bit absurd. I was happy for a fan to call him out on his ridiculousness by screaming "Here Comes the Sun!!!!!" before he started playing it. He and I obviously both knew what was coming before it came. I even knew how many encores there would be and what songs were going to be in them.

The show was GREAT and the band was AWESOME. I had a BLAST but Paul has written so many amazing songs that I expect variation on his tour. He has so many amazing moments on his live albums. "Why Don't You Write Me?" "America" ANYTHING!! Happy to hear him play "Gumboots" both nights, though. And "Late in the Evening!"

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES PAUL!

Posted by Russ | June 7, 2011 9:59 AM

I don't understand why that old dude in pink came on stage for two songs. Was Chevy Chase unavailable for You Can Call Me Al?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:02 AM

That dude in pink transcended the night from great to spectacular.

Posted by Russ | June 7, 2011 10:04 AM

That dude in the pink just got off work changing bedpans at Bellevue

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:09 AM

Apparently Russ was unhappy with the setlist.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:11 AM

Brooklyn Vegan
The pilgrim is passing a Frohawk
And catches his eyes
It's James Murphy
He's got a glowstick on each knee
He is eating hummus that he wants us to try

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:12 AM

DO NOT disrespect David Byrne you fools.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:14 AM

or what, fool? you gonna do something? cry?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:16 AM

@10:11
Not unhappy with the setlist.

It was a great setlist.

It was just the same setlist as his show at the Beacon. For a new pop band with only 15 songs, it's alright to know every song they are going to play. But with Paul Simon, I would have liked to be surprised with a few songs. Instead, he just played the same exact set. Again, great performance anyway. Just same exact set. I wonder why they chose to do that.

David Byrne coming out at the end was wonderful. That didn't happen at the Beacon :)

Posted by Russ | June 7, 2011 10:17 AM

10:14
Go eat some hummus and do some yoga

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:17 AM

Toss me some hummus, I think there's some in my raincoat
We ate the last tub an hour ago
So I looked at the t-shirts, she tried to pull the big painting off the wall
And the moon rose over 11th St.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:20 AM

^ love that story.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:24 AM

Every time a BV commenter disrespects David Byrne, the chances that he'll show up as a special guest at some random NYC show increases.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:28 AM

david byrne falling down, getting back up, and laughing it off: http://upload.youtube.com/my_videos_upload

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:31 AM

everyone go listen to Remain in Light and SHUT UP

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:31 AM

David Byrne's a feg.
What'd you say Miller?
He was to, you boys. My buddy installed two way mirrors to his pad in Alphabet City, and he come to the door in a dress ...

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:37 AM

David Byrne shows up unannounced to a show tonight ... and in other news, Francisco Franco is still dead ...

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 10:39 AM

my favorite part of the show was when Paul pulled Kim Kardashian on stage

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:00 AM

Russ:

I agree. I did not go to the Beacon Shows, but saw enough set lists on this website and others to know where it was headed. I think also it was a lost chance to be a little more intimate with the crowd, smaller venue and all.

But, like you, I thought it was a great show and a great time. No matter what else there was to say about the place, people, set list, etc., we saw Paul Simon play in a small club in his home town.

Pretty damn cool.

Posted by anon | June 7, 2011 11:12 AM

anthony and the weiners

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:18 AM

Paul Simon looks like a grandmother in that photograph.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:18 AM

did anyone start moshing during "late in the evening" that's all i wanna know

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:19 AM

What? No pictues of David Byrne leaving Webster Hall on his bike?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:19 AM

"did anyone start moshing during "late in the evening" that's all i wanna know"

Golden Rule: You ALWAYS mosh in David Byrne's presence.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:26 AM

Paul Simon looks like a troll or some kind of Tolkein creature.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:44 AM

i saw byrne get shuttled by his assistant into a big, black SUV after the show. kinda a bummer. no bike!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 11:56 AM

When we were waiting in the sun on line, Byrne came out of the stage door, got on his bike and rode off. No pink stripes then either, so he changed for the gig.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 12:25 PM

oh, 12.25, i was talking about after the gig.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 12:27 PM

SUV >>> unispeed hipster bike

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 12:32 PM

@9:08 yes, I think we are talking about the same dude.

Posted by BLG | June 7, 2011 12:34 PM

It was also like a big breath of fresh air when David B. played. He brough some energy and charisma that Paul ... much as we love him ... has never brought to the stage.

One other random thought, there was something really moving about Hearts and Bones. Maybe it was just me, but even though i have always loved that album/song, there was something really touching about the way he played it yesterday.

Does anyone have the complete set list?

Posted by anon | June 7, 2011 12:42 PM

12:42: I bet Russ does.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 12:48 PM

@12:48

Hahaha, although you'd think I have this damn setlist tatooed in my brain, I sadly do not have a complete setlist.

It is a good one though. I guess that's why he sticks with it . . . every . . . show . . .

Posted by Russ | June 7, 2011 12:57 PM

I felt so bad for the people watching from the stairwell (of which there were many).

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 12:59 PM

huh? how can you see from the stairwell?? it's enclosed in a hallway.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:15 PM

Did James Murphy join him for a rendition of "New York City Cops"?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:17 PM

One last thing, and this bugged me last night ... when he sang Gone At Last ... a little word about Pheobe Snow? She died in April ...something.

Posted by anon | June 7, 2011 1:20 PM

Pauls a legend. First stagediving at Chaos in Tejas and now this..

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:30 PM

his son's playing the studio on sunday

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2011 1:37 PM

Posted by business setup in dubai | January 26, 2012 2:20 AM

Posted by business setup in dubai | January 26, 2012 2:21 AM

Posted by Medical Computer | February 4, 2012 6:31 AM

Posted by Medical Computer | February 11, 2012 9:42 AM

Posted by How to Make Money | March 11, 2012 10:02 AM

Much better than "Cats", I watched it over and over...

Posted by Swoosie Goodman | March 11, 2012 10:29 AM

Paul Simon looks like a troll or some kind of Tolkein creature.

Posted by Offshore Company In UAE | April 1, 2012 5:34 AM

A web service is a kind of software that is accessible on the Internet. It makes use of the XML messaging system and offers an easy to understand, interface for the end users.

Posted by datastage interview questions | September 4, 2012 2:19 AM

Posted by web services interview questions | September 4, 2012 2:25 AM

A web survice is a kind of software that is accessible on the Internet. It makes use of the XML messaging system and offers an easy to understand, interface for the end users.

Posted by web survices inturview questions | September 4, 2012 3:11 AM

Paul simon music is great.. Going back old school, this type of music still rock

Posted by SQL Regular Expressions | October 15, 2012 12:07 PM

Paul Simon is an absolute legend, his music is timeless and still sounds great, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a large young fan base.

Posted by Prime London Estate Agents | November 20, 2012 9:15 AM

David Byrne and Paul Simon, now that's a duo. I bet it worked out really great.

Posted by Mining Private Equity | November 20, 2012 9:42 AM

Nice blog... thanks for sharing to the users.. For Salesforce training tutorials visit our site.

Posted by salesforce training | February 13, 2014 8:19 PM