Posted in MP3 | music | tour dates on June 14, 2011

DOWNLOAD: Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Senator" (MP3)

Stephen Malkmus (Pavement) @ Summerstage 2010 (more by Matthew Eisman)
Stephen Malkmus

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks will release Mirror Traffic on August 23 via Matador (US)/Domino (UK). Like Thurston Moore, Malkmus has chosen Beck to produce the album. Mirror Traffic will be the last album to feature Janet Weiss as a member of the Jicks, who is leaving to focus on Wild Flag full time. Check out the track "Senator" above, and the tracklist and artwork below.

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks will head out on a month-long tour in September with Jake Morris of The Joggers replacing Janet on drums. The tour hits NYC on September 26 at Terminal 5. Tickets go on sale Friday (6/17) at noon.

Janet's band Wild Flag plays a show with Thurston's band Sonic Youth at Williamsburg Waterfront on August 12th. Stephen's band Pavement played the same venue last year.

All tour dates and Mirror Traffic art and tracklist below...

Mirror Traffic

Mirror Traffic Tracklist:
1 Tigers
2 No One (Is As I Are Be)
3 Senator

10/8 - Minneapolis, MN, Pantages Theatre
10/11- Seattle, WA, Neptune Theatre
10/12 - Vancouver, BC, The Biltmore Cabaret
10/13 - Portland, OR, Crystal Ballroom
10/19 - Los Angeles, CA, The Music Box
10/20 - Solana Beach, CA, Belly Up Tavern

Beck's production did wonders for the last Thurston Moore record. Crossing my fingers for the next Malkmus to be good, too.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 6:13 PM

No San Francisco stop? Weak.

Posted by Kevin | June 14, 2011 6:15 PM

No San Francisco stop? Weak.

That will probably be the Treasure Island Music Festival which in San Fran around that time. They should announce that in a few weeks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 6:17 PM

Fuck Terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 6:43 PM

Why not Webster Hall? Uggggh.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 6:57 PM

Doubtful Malkmus will sell this out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 6:59 PM

More like the Bowery Presents jackasses are counting on residual Pavement spillover from the reunion tour to fill the place. Hopefully they will take a big loss on the show., They deserve it for putting this in the giant tin can piece of shithole.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 6:59 PM

No way they can fill Terminal 5. This blows, it should be at Webster or Bowery.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 7:15 PM

glad we're keeping the hating exclusively to T5 and not the jicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 7:34 PM

oh... and fingers crossed for a last minute MHOW add.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 7:36 PM

No matter how hard I try, I've never been able to transfer the mad love I gots for Pavement to the Jicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 7:46 PM

This dude hasn't released a decent album in 15 years

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2011 10:11 PM

Every Malkmus solo release has been solid gold. I'm confident this Beck-assisted platter will be no different. Knock the Malk? More like Fort Knox, baby.

Posted by Jesse Garon | June 15, 2011 12:07 AM

Yes. Once again Terminal 5 robs us of a beautiful live music experience. It's a fucking black hole.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 12:13 AM

I think before the Pavement reunion, Malkmus definitely would have sold out Terminal 5 because that would sort of be the next best thing. But now that everyone in NYC had five chances to see Pavement last summer, interest in Malkmus and the Jicks is probably not as high as it once was.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 8:18 AM

8:18 is right. Why would someone go to a Malkmus show (at Terminal 5, nevertheless) if they just saw Pavement last year. Unless they are a hardcore Malkmus fanboy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 9:05 AM

Why? Because Malkmus/Jicks are a great band that have put out some great music over the past decade. Because they are a much better live band then Pavement. Yes, Pavement were an iconic 1990s indie band and wrote great songs but were super sloppy live. Mark Ibold and Steve West could barely walk and chew gum at the same time, let alone play their respected instruments without fucking up. As opposed to the Jicks would had their shit down and Malkmus is in top for when he plays with them. This show should be great, T5 and all!

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 9:14 AM

I love the Jicks. Just seems like literally EVERY time he scheduled a show in NYC prior to the Pavement reunion, it sold out immediately. Don't think that's gonna happen this time around...

Posted by 8:18 | June 15, 2011 9:21 AM

The Jicks have made some good music, but also a lot of unbearable self-indulgent crap.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 9:31 AM

Terminal 5? More like Terminal BAD VENUE! Am I right?!?!?!?!?!

Posted by Señor | June 15, 2011 9:59 AM

9:15=Obvious Bowery Presents jackass

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 10:21 AM

Terminal Mix

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 10:22 AM

Open days before and after the T5 show. Maybe they'll do a secret show at DBA.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 12:52 PM

9:14 - "respected instruments"?

And you don't know anything about music either. Ibold owns you.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 1:26 PM

I honestly don't understand why everyone hates terminal 5.
Personally I think it's a fine venue, and I have seen plenty things there and always had a good time. I suppose the sound isn't great, but it's good enough, (audiophile people are dorks) And I suppose all you short people can't see the stage, but I'm almost 6 foot...
And I suppose it's difficult to get to from Brooklyn, but i live in manhattan... And u suppose the security is tight, but I smoke mad weed up in there and never had a problem.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 2:57 PM

2:57
You answered the question in your statement. The thing you care least about is sound which is why the place seems great to you. You are an idiot plain and simple. Now please stop making comments and go back to listening to all those mp3's you have on your hard drive you big music fan.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 3:09 PM

^ Someone's got pissy pants! Not everyone is a hard-core music snob dork. That being said, I absolutely fucking pissed that this show is a T-5, being a hard-core music snob dork. The sound blows...

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 3:16 PM

Vote with your wallet and don't buy a ticket if don't like T5.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 3:28 PM

guys, they're adding four shows at summerstage and one at the waterfront. just hang tight.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 3:52 PM

people who are 6 feet tall and are at shows are one thing: aholes

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 3:59 PM

"people who are 6 feet tall and are at shows are one thing: aholes"

Blame your parents for poor genetic shorty.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 4:29 PM

I am 6' 3" and pay just as much as you do to see a show. Stuck behind me? Move. Bitching about someone being tall is a whiny confession that you aren't an equal.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 4:33 PM

are they named the jicks after mecha in the anime ideon?

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 5:08 PM

Im 6 foot. If i hear you complain about me being too tall and standing in front of you, im likely to fart on you. Better keep mum.

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 5:18 PM

MAHHH FAHVORITE VHEHNUEH

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2011 5:41 PM

The truth about Terminal 5: If the capacity was 500 or so, like Bowery or the Music Hall, it would be fine. The problem is, unless you stand right in the center, downstairs stage area (which is about the same size as Bowery, though the place is rated for a 3000 person capacity), the sound and sight-lines are awful.

I don't know its history, but it seems like it was designed to be a dance club. All of the balconies and "overflow" areas are awful for watching live music, and it really is one of the worst venues in the city. I really don't get why Bowery Presents is involved with that place.

I should add that the Jicks fucking rock, Malk has a ton of fans in NYC no matter what he does, Ibold and West are good players, and the group may very well sell this out (if you look at Malk's recent solo NYC history), but I just wish it was somewhere, anywhere else.

I may still go, or skip it on principle, but I really, really hope they book a second show at the Williamsburg Music Hall. And I live WAY uptown in Manhattan.

Posted by Mr. Anonymous | June 15, 2011 9:13 PM

"Vote with your wallet and don't buy a ticket if don't like T5."

Amen brother.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2011 10:18 AM

No comments about the song? "What the senator wants is a blowwwwww-job." Catchy!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 10:31 AM

"Vote with your wallet and don't buy a ticket if don't like T5."

I haven't stepped foot in T5 in years, but my personal boycott does not seem to be working. :) I did finally break down and get Manu Chao tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 11:16 AM

9:41 - what are you talking about? Gary young was the fuck up, Steve west was a great drummer and ibold a great bass player. The reunion shows were super tight and so was any live performance from the nineties I've seen. And who cares how good a musician you are if the songs just suck anyway? Look at Lou reed post velvets, Paul westerberg post-replacements, malkmus post-pavement. Session players don't cut it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 12:12 PM

*9:14 oops

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 12:16 PM

If you're 6'3 you can see OVER everyone so there's no real need to get that close. Or at least have the courtousy to stand on the side. When a crowd fills in, there's no room to move so you've pretty much fucked the closest five people standing behind you.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 12:21 PM

When I was a young lad, and concerned about sightlines, I ate large quantities of hummus so the protein packed chickpea would allow me to grow to a 6 foot 3.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2011 1:40 PM

12:12 - what are you talking about? The Jicks are great, with no session players at all. They actually seem like local friends of his, and function as much as a real band as Pavement. Or more. The Jicks actually play on their recordings, unlike a lot of Pavement records.

I'll grant you that a lot of leaders from legendary cult bands go the session player/hit single attempt route, but I feel that Malkmus' solo stuff is actually MORE challenging than his earlier band's work, and that he's following his muse, instead of trying to retread what he's done before, which is what most people want apparently.

The Jicks will never be as popular and well-regarded as Pavement, but I find what he's doing fascinating, even if it confounds most Pavement fans.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 7:51 PM

In my book, musicianship is pretty secondary in indie rock to a band having an aesthetic one likes. I'd rather listen to bebop and real musical talent than pretend that I like the Jicks because Malkmus is playing music I don't care for but he's challenging himself by doing different things.

Posted by Anonymous | June 19, 2011 8:25 PM

Well, Malkmus is going exactly where he wants to go, in the direction he was already heading with Pavement. I don't think he's trying to make himself do different things, he's just following his muse. And it doesn't have anything to do with "hot shit" musicianship.

Shit, I remember when people were complaining about Pavement when Wowee Zowee came out. Those same assholes (like 8:25) are still complaining about everything he does, wishing he would do a warmed over Crooked Rain retread, and won't stop.

I like that he's doing what he wants, and what that happens to be flies in the face of the prevailing and increasingly bland and lifeless Brooklyn-based snoozer "indie" scene that he helped create.

8:25, go suck your iPod.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2011 3:02 AM

Geez,complain,complain,complain.Just be grateful you New Yorkers get spoiled with a chance to see every act that tours the world no matter where they decide to play.Try living in Florida where the typical show is Aaron Lewis at the Hard Rock.FML

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 1:20 PM

Well at least in Florida, the rent is cheap and you get to go to the beach every day right?

We complain because the venue is horrible.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 1:41 PM

Why not Oklahoma? It's not all hillbillies.

Posted by Lux Interior | December 26, 2011 12:53 AM