Posted in music | tour dates on June 30, 2011

Ted Leo @ Europa (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Ted Leo

The "probably" has turned to "definitely". Ted writes:

So, before I bury the lede, as I too often do, let me just get this out of the way and say that YES - we are, in fact, going to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the release of "The Tyranny of Distance" by playing it in its entirety (along with probably quite a bit of stuff from all the other albums as well) on July 9, 2011 at this year's *FREE* outdoor summer show at South Street Seaport, Manhattan, NYC - the "kick off" show for the Voice's new 4Knots festival.
This is not a big nostalgia trip!
We're not doing it to place this in some sort of "classic albums" necropolis! We've been mostly on tour for the entire ten years since this album came out, and rarely has a night gone by that we haven't played at least a few songs from it - it's as alive to us now as it was when it was first released!
We (or "I") have never "broken up" and moved on to other things, so we're not getting back together to celebrate "what was" - this is and always has been our life, and we're celebrating a milestone in that life!
This is not a "victory lap!"
Not the time to take a bow - there's more work to do, and we have tours upon tours upon tours still ahead of us!
We're writing, planning, thinking, working, etc., every day.
What this is, more than anything, is kind of a way to say "Thanks" to everyone who's been there and come along or joined us since, and something immensely fun and gratifying for us, personally, to be able to do.
For a long time, I've tried to do a free outdoor show here at home, in New York City, every summer, and what this ALSO is, is the 10th anniversary of that beginning with a solo show I played at South Street Seaport (with the great Radio 4, who we spent so much time with in those days!), as part of what was then WFUV's summer music series, then, as now, put together by the inimitable Stephen Dima, and the convergence of those two anniversaries makes this a really important show for us.
To that end, we're F***ING PSYCHED to have our friends, The Screaming Females, join us! Over this most RECENT year, they've become one of the biggest influences on OUR lives - giving us a constant source of inspiration and companionship and reminding us about what it was like for US ten years ago and why we started doing this in the first place and what it is that's kept us on this road the whole time.
I've got a lot more to say about this show, and The Tyranny of Distance, and the whole last ten years, and I'll amend this post as the day goes on, and probably all throughout next week. I'll announce those amendments and addenda on Twitter, but also, check back here if you want!
Still writing - more to come...
Rock.

Ted Leo is so boring. I wish he would retire and go away.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 10:47 AM

I wholeheartedly disagree with comment 1. He's one-of-a-kind musician and someone with honesty and integrity. Looking forward to this! One of my favorite albums.

Posted by dan | June 30, 2011 10:59 AM

He (or "him") need to, as now, stop (or "cease") using so many (as opposed to "so less") commas and paranthesis, to reiterate, his (or "our") points.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:00 AM

I don't get it. If you find an artist boring don't go...end of story...why does someone need to retire because you find them boring...who cares...

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:03 AM

"The Tyranny of Shit" is more like it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:08 AM

such a good album.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:08 AM

I wish 10:47 would go away.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:08 AM

Tell me one artist out there who bothers to give his listeners the amount of conversation as he does and allows them to voice off back to him. I doubt you can think of one. Ted's on his Twitter account all day getting back to people about everything and anything, and it really says a lot about him as not only a musician but as a person. He's by far the most grounded punk rocker in the industry. I'd pay $100 to see this show, but instead he's volunteering to give us another free show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:10 AM

11:08#1 - go shop for a coffin

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:11 AM

what time is this show please?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:12 AM

11:11 ....greatest comment in Brooklynvegan history!

Posted by Search & Restore | June 30, 2011 11:16 AM

Ted Leo at the Seaport or Four Tet at PS1?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:27 AM

11:10, well said, but he's not volunteering to play for free, he gets paid. Someone, aka The Voice or its sponsors are paying him to play a free show. That said, Ted often does play benefit shows for free, he always supports a good cause. I'm there on July 9.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:36 AM

@ 10:47 - I hope you die a horrific death you fuck. Really, what artist has been constantly putting out great material throughout the years and has been playing free shows for ten years!?

@ 11:08 - Your own mother hates you.

Tyranny of Distance is his best album by far with the Pharmacists - This will be a memorable show. Although it would be nice if Radio 4 opened up; not a huge fan of SF.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:39 AM

My plan is....
1) Go see Ted Leo
2) Raekwon @ Prospect Park
3) Grooms @ Death by Audio

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:44 AM

I was just reading Ted's March 13th blog post previous to today's where he writes:

"I’m deeply in debt, a lot of the nets that I’ve traditionally cast have started coming up empty, but I give a lot of my time to causes and to people..."

...And yet he still offers to selflessly put on a free show for his fans, playing an album in full even though these types of shows are typically done for huge monetary gain. That's definitely rad of him.

Is there any way we can do something for Ted to help him out financially outside of keep going to his shows, buying his merch and his music?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:48 AM

Thanks for keeping us posted, 11:44

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:48 AM

11:16 is absolutely right about 11:11

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 11:59 AM

from what i can tell, ted leo does not deserve to be shit upon. never sold out, unless you think matador is selling out

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 12:08 PM

Ted Leo is beyond boring... so lame

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 12:18 PM

"selflessly put on a free show for his fans"

11:48, give me a break. Artists get PAID for free shows. You think Leo is doing this out of the goodness of his heart? That is simply naive. Lets also not forget that The Village Voice, although once an institution in the counter-culture, is now owned by the conglomerate New Times Media. Not exactly a good cause.

Yes, Leo plays for a lot of good charities, this isn't one of them. Nice for the fans, and also nice for Leo's pockets. If you wanna give him your cash buy a freaking t-shirt at the show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 12:25 PM

Bunch of no talent clowns bitching about everything while contributing nothing. I'm so glad to hear all of you assholes won't be at the Seaport for this show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 12:25 PM

AH that's it? No clueless or uninformed political opinions in this one? Damn. Til next time...

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 12:42 PM

12:25, my point is that he'd be making a hell of a lot more were he banking money off of sold tickets to this show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 12:46 PM

AGGGHHH only now just realizing that this is up against Four Tet / SBTRKT and also Raekwon!
I'd seriously love to see all of these shows.

WarmUp probably wins by being the least "common" lineup... Seen both Ted & Rae numerous times.

But how people can complain about the summer programming in this city is seriously beyond me. What an amazing, packed day of music. Shame theres so much overlap.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 1:34 PM

Ted Leo-YAWN

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 2:21 PM

Ted Leo?
Again?
Really?

How about a Michael Jackson thread too, while we're at it? Or Bonnie Tyler.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 2:55 PM

Anyone that thinks Ted Leo is boring must be deaf and/or under 30. Change your hearing aid and/or diapers and don't be so mad because some took your pacifier.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 3:20 PM

3:20-nope not deaf or under 30 and i think he is boring

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 3:53 PM

Ted Leo is incredible, and one of the most amazing and sincere artists I've ever encountered in my life. I've been listening to him for 15+ years and he continues to surprise and impress me, both as a musician and a human being.

So, if you don't like him, or think he's "boring" (an adolescent term if ever there was one),I really don't give a damn. More space at the show. Fascinating that you feel compelled to comment on it at all, however.

I will admit, I am intrigued by one thing: if Ted is "boring," then what is "not boring" in your mind? Would genuinely love to know.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2011 2:02 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2011 12:25 PM

Yes thats true about the Village Voice ownership or should I say the monopoly that owns it that owns numerous other city free papers and that company is on par with Clear Channel.

Its great that Ted cares about fans and listens to what they think, but maybe hes on twitter too much.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2011 2:36 AM