Posted in music | tour dates on June 8, 2011

photos from a House of Vans show in March (more by Andrew St. Clair)
House of Vans
House of Vans

As promised, House of Vans, which is located at 25 Franklin St in Brooklyn, is hosting free shows this summer. Stepping in just at the right moment to possibly fill the gap left by the loss of the Pool Parties, there will be six free-with-RSVP Vans House Parties between June 30th and August 25th.

The lineups for the first two FYF-presented, all-ages shows have been revealed, as have all six dates to hold (all of which are weekdays). No Age, HEALTH, Cults, and Ceremony play the Greenpoint venue on Thursday, June 30. Superchunk, Off!, and Lemuria will play on Thursday, July 14. The other dates, with lineups still TBA, are July 29 (a Friday), August 4 (a Thursday), August 18 (a Thursday), and August 25 (a Thursday). RSVP links are at their site, and note:

"In order to gain access to the free shows at the House of Vans this summer, you must RSVP to reserve a place on the list. RSVP links are listed under each show on this site.

Due to capacity restraints each event will be first come, first serve. A line will form in front of the building at 5pm, no line ups are allowed prior to that. There will be food and drinks inside, no outside food and drinks will be allowed in."

Meanwhile Cults are on tour and in NYC now (and playing Summerstage this summer too), and Off! will be here soon with Dinosaur Jr., Henry Rollins and Fucked Up.

So.....you have to RSVP, but then it's first come, first serve and you have to line up starting at 5 PM? I don't understand.

Nice lineups though.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:14 PM

I don't get it at all. I just RSVP'ed and the confirmation reminded me that I have to line up as it is first come first served. Why did I just give them my name and email addy then? Just to sell me stuff?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:17 PM

yeah, what 1:14 said. RSVP'd for no age though, I'm stoked that it's a weekday

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:18 PM

Fucking bands (aside from Cults) rule, nice job Vans, glad I wore my Old Skools today.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:18 PM

CHEA

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:19 PM

FYF always delivers. Looking forward to seeing who plays their FYF Fest. My guess is some of these bands will be there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:19 PM

Worse than Hitler!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:20 PM

capacity at this place looks like 700?

july 14th!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:22 PM

FYF will run this thing about 100x better than those Jelly idiots. This is a great development. Looking forward to the rosters for the four unannounced dates.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:23 PM

Gross.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:26 PM

How can anyone compare this to the waterfront/pool parties?

It's a giant, corporate email list signup leading to a giant, shitty red rope line that will reach a capacity wildly smaller then the pool parties/waterfront.

I like the bands, I even like that Vans is sponsoring free shows but it's not in any way a replacement for free open shows on park land.

1:23 must hate Jelly so much he's gotten his head stuck up his own ass to be able to form that opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:27 PM

You have to RSVP because if you don't and you get to the door and you aren't on the list they won't let you in. RSVPing doesn't guarantee you will get in, but not RSVPing guarantees you will NOT get in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:28 PM

1:28 is FYF mgmt.

Posted by FYF Mgmt. | June 8, 2011 1:29 PM

Not to get off topic but the last time I went to a Vans House Party show last summer before they were even being advertised, there was this amazingly annoying couple that were talking about TMI info throughout the entire thing. The guy kept asking his girlfriend, "Do you like my big thick Jewish 8.5 inches? Do you like my big thick Jewish 8.5? Does it fill you the way you like?" Yeah bro, you're cool.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:29 PM

Hopefully you can get on line and gain entrance when people leave after seeing shitty Cults.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:30 PM

@127pm. ummm obviously you don't go to enough shows.

small indoor venues > waterfront shows

better sounds/smaller crowd = better for me

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:34 PM

1:27 must be a Jelly internZzzzzz...

Posted by Meme | June 8, 2011 1:34 PM

No Age + HEALTH + Ceremony for free? That's some solid booking. Tell Cults to stay home, though. The girls and their yuppie boyfriends who came to hear cuddly indie pop will just end up getting banged up during the other bands' sets. Ceremony fans will eat them alive.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:38 PM

great more cults.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:40 PM

Only you assholes could find something to complain about when a show is free. Just stand in line, use your iPad to update your shitty blog and think about the next stupid tattoo you're going to get. Go fuck your hummus douche bags.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:40 PM

Ugh. I hope Superchunk play another local show that is not free. Free shows attract scenesters/casual fans.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:42 PM

1:42 actually their free show at Seaport a couple years back was amazing

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:46 PM

1:42 seriously?...

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:48 PM

sorry to say but superchunk was one of the most boring bands i had ever seen. i mean they're not bad but not great by any means. i think 80% of the songs they played sounded very similar and I almost wanted to say crap Sonic Youth/Yo La Tengo are 100 times better than these dudes/girl bassist.....

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:48 PM

This sucks for people that have to work and can't get in line as early as kids and trustafarians. Oh well, if the show is good enough, (SUPERCHUNK!!!) I will happily leave early and get drunk in line

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:49 PM

They should switch Cults and OFF!'s dates. Have one show for the raucous punks and noise fans and the other show for guys with weak handshakes and their girlfriends who look like an Olsen twin.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:51 PM

Not impressed. These bands really don't do anything for me... and the thought of 1000+ brunchwave assholes clogging up my neighborhood waiting to get into this shitshow makes me want to puke. I'm all for free shows, but with better bands and not indoors...

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:52 PM

Lets literally fill the gap with bands that have already played the pool parties.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:55 PM

Yeah 1:52 I'm totally with you. If this were j a z u z z i b o y s, Katy Kickball solo set and James Blake on Governor's Island at $55 a ticket, I would so be there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:55 PM

1:51 whatever dude, at least I don't get my kicks slamming my body against other dudes because I have so much pent up aggression from being a closet case self-loather

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:56 PM

Hey I'm a scenester, just heard the news...am I too late??

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 1:57 PM

lulz @ 1:55

Posted by 1:52 | June 8, 2011 1:59 PM

Going just to pick fights by slinging hummus at the band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:02 PM

Woodstock 2012 at the East River State Park! C'mon, OSA!

Posted by Señor | June 8, 2011 2:05 PM

1:56 Nice homophobic comment and funny, too since the ones who are paranoid about that stuff and the first ones to point out how "gay" trashing is are the ones that are the closet cases in denial. That'd explains your taste in women who wear the hippest clothes but look like aliens when they take them off and you tell them to put them back on because the thought of touching a girl grosses you out. My girlfriend on the other hand wipes the sweat off my brow when I take breather from the pit, and I return to favor by wiping my cum off her chin later that night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:06 PM

1:48 you can call superchunk a lot of things, but "boring live" is just ridiculous

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:08 PM

these shows should be outside so that 10,000 people can show up and riot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:09 PM

2:06 Why are you so angry and crass?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:11 PM

@2:06

Henry Rollins circa 1992, is that you?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:13 PM

Hey, I'm a male from Brooklyn with so much sand in my vagina I'm constantly irritable and therefore have nothing positive to say about free shows.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:13 PM

2:06 The only thing you're wiping cum off of is your keyboard after you visit hardcoredudeswearingallblack.com

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:15 PM

this is going to be a major clusterfuck. count me out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:18 PM

1) These are perfect venues for these type of bands since most of bands on that list play Bowery/MHOW capacity shows.
2) RSVP for these shows will be a lot better than Vice/Fader shows meaning you'll get in....not just your corporate friends/photographers only
3) what ever happened to "jelly" line-up....I thought it was supposed to be announced already.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:19 PM

Some threads on BV can be so witty and altogether hilarious, but the majority wind up like this one, juvenile, unfunny and obscene. You kids go listen to Odd Future and curse some more.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:21 PM

RSVPd in advance for kickball katy solo show

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:22 PM

2:15 Be that as it may, that doesn't explain to me why you're standing outside my window on the fire escape of my Bushwick apartment jacking off to me jacking off while your alien body girlfriend dressed in indian feathers stands with her arms folded looking bored and interested while uploading pics from the Cults show to her OKCupid account.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:25 PM

this is already better than anything jelly could/would come up with.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:25 PM

1:38: Yeah, skinny prepubescent boys in their one session sleeves aren't going to scare anyone...

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:26 PM

"1:42 seriously?..."

I make money. I rather pay for a show and not have to deal with all the cheapskates that do not want to pay for a show. The same people probably illegally download albums.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:28 PM

Ah no age, I've only ever paid once to see you and you're great. they are so good at free shows. People saying FYF will run something better than Jelly hasn't been to FYF Fest in the last two years but it doesn't really matter, their single shows are usually pretty solid. Ceremony is a bit much for me so I'll try to get there for Health and No Age. And it is so fyf of fyf to throw Ceremony in there right before cults. It's like fyf 2008 which had negative approach play right before High Places. Sean thinks it's hilarious I'm sure.

Posted by Mandy | June 8, 2011 2:28 PM

i wish there was just a health show so it would be easier to get in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:29 PM

2:06: is unemployed, doesn't have a girlfriend, has never been to NYC and probably lives in Tulsa.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:29 PM

2:25, you're 15, right?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:33 PM

@1:20 go fall in a ditch

This totally shits on the Jelly Pool parties

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:34 PM

2:06 is actually fucking your girlfriend with her tits swinging over his office desk doggystyle at his $70k job in DUMBO as he types responses back to you here.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:34 PM

2:34 $70K a year?! Clown thinks he's doing well in life.

lol

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:37 PM

I hope all of you posters family members die horrific deaths. You people are a bunch of negative bastards. Do you also spend your time going on blogs of other things your not interested in and talk shit? Why waste your time reading/commenting on shit you don't like?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:40 PM

Especially crude comments today. Well done, boys, well done...

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:40 PM

maybe everyone here wants to start comparing business cards

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:40 PM

sorry guy. $70K a year in the NYC area ain't shit, unless you're po' white trash and didn't grow up with anything. Then, you winning, yo.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:40 PM

Who is Ceremony? Are they a New Order/Joy Division cover band? I sure hope so!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:42 PM

$70,000 a year and he thinks he's a baller?!? that's lolz

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:46 PM

what's the bacardi bar situation at this place?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:47 PM

YES!!! I love showing up right before they let people in and cut the line. These shows will be fun for that. Cant wait. The rest of you douches have fun standing in line for hours and not getting in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 2:50 PM

I'm guessing the rapture will play one of TBA dates.....

Posted by Taki | June 8, 2011 2:56 PM

i can only hope they manage this rsvp situation in a proper manner and not accept like 1000 rsvp's over capacity like every other riot shit show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:02 PM

hey, you guys remember Big League Chew?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:16 PM

No Age has played 2 pool parties. Health has played a pool party. Superchunk has played a pool party. Cults suck. Not sure how this shits on Pool Parties. Good luck getting in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:19 PM

Let me break it down for you boys hating on my $70k salary.

I OWN an apartment in Bushwick valued at $195,000. I OWN my own company, valued at $1.8 million. My take home salary after I pay my employees and business expenses and taxes is $70k. Have fun reaching the glass ceiling. My salary is just starting to climb. I'll be a millionaire in 5 years.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:23 PM

3:16 Big League Chew is awesome. Also bubble tape.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:33 PM

3:23 your home is valued at $195k? I could buy that in cash. Have fun standing on the RSVP line thinking about the "millions" you are going to make once you get that next round of VC. Is this a ghost transmission from the dot com boom of 1997?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:35 PM

I'd bet that the RSVP thing is bullshit just to compile mailing lists and sell them to other companies, and that anyone who shows up and gets on line early enough gets in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:36 PM

TAKE YOUR FUCKING!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:38 PM

Rich people comment on BV? I thought it was only us wankers with boring telemarketing jobs on here.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:41 PM

3:35 It's actually just one of three real estate properties I own in Brooklyn and Hoboken, so if you want to buy it, I'll gladly entertain your offer since I'm currently closing in on a fourth property valued at $350k. Have fun trying to pay your electricity bill by working at the hummus shop, though. Maybe I'll see you in the RSVP line? I'll be the guy fucking your girlfriend.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:43 PM

3:43 can you ask her to do a better job of trimming the hedges? Maybe with your power and influence you can do a better job of getting through to her.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:49 PM

3:49 what I want to do is meet you in the RSVP line and we can both whip our dicks out and compare who's biggest. One time I was at a Vans show with your girlfriend and I kept asking her "Do you like my 8.5 inches? Do you like my 8.5 inches? Is it big enough for you?" Everyone thought I was the coolest guy in the room.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:57 PM

Cool! BV now accepts douchebags in all variations! A landmark day.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 3:58 PM

whoa whoa whoa, no one who posts on this site has a real job. we all freelance and work at galleries.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:00 PM

I don't mean to be a douchebag, 3:58. It is just these new Vans I bought after hearing about the great shows they are sponsoring.

Although they look cool as shit their lack of arch support is making me cranky.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:00 PM

3:23 please post here everyday. Wow, you're stupid.

$70K a year - Mwaaaaaaahhhhhh!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:00 PM

You 'OWN' property in Bushwick valued at $195K?! Wow, you've got quite the investment there, huh?

You're slumming pal; sorry.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:02 PM

I just purchased a hummus store in bushwick. I am hoping that it will bring me in 70k a year.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:08 PM

Wow, so many douchebags complaining about free shows! IT'S A FREE SHOW YOU UN GRATEFUL FUCK ASSES! Whatever. More room for me at Superchunck/OFF!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:08 PM

WHICH Ceremony is playing?

the hardcore one?

or the shoegaze/noise/Death By Audio one?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:09 PM

ahh the good old self-entitled, self-conscious New Yorkers. Nothings ever good enough for them.

lol @ 1:29

Posted by Stephen Whitfield | June 8, 2011 4:12 PM

You're all acting like everyone on here is banking off a $100k+ salary. Everyone knows BV commentators making less than $30k a year and don't even have benefits.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:13 PM

I make $140K a year. I rock, I live comfortably, I live in a central air apt. You don't. I win.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 4:53 PM

My cock is bigger than your cock.

Well, one thing I DO know. With my load, you don't swallow it. You CHEW it. You need a knife and fork for my fuckin' load!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 5:01 PM

Your apartment may be bigger then mine... Your salary may be bigger them mine... But your hummus platter is smaller then mine.

I win.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 5:05 PM

cults are awful let's keep it moving

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 5:11 PM

My love is bigger than your love
We take more drugs than a touring funk band

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 5:15 PM

got my vans on but they look like sneakers

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 5:18 PM

My band is better than your band we have more songs than a song convention. SING IT!

My love is bigger than your love. SING IT!

MY LOVE IS BIGGER THAN YOUR LOVE SING IT!

AND WE'RE ALL GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 6:01 PM

this is exactly the type of comment exchange I would expect on a post about a venue run by VANS sneakers.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2011 10:36 PM

@6:01, You are the greatest. Mclusky FTW.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 12:57 AM

the only reason it's free is because no one would pay to see lame bands like OFF

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 2:35 AM

Again this goes to all the $70k salary-criticisizng posters: Tell me how many other 23 year olds are making that kind of money right out of college working in multimedia and I'll be quiet, but if you are going to sit here and suggest that the average salary for people my age (who aren't lawyers, engineers or working in the medical profession) then you're full of shit. The average income in the United States isn't even that much, you morons.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 8:20 AM

^ Yeah, seriously. I'm 25, STILL going to school (night classes) and I make almost $10K less than that per year. And I do accounting work, no multimedia here.

Yet, I am somehow still able to live at a resonably comfortable pace.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 9:34 AM

I'm really hoping "$70k salary" becomes the new BV meme.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 11:04 AM

The reality is, yes.. 70k in NYC barely cuts it, if you want to live comfortably in a decent neighborhood. But I would never knock someone who made less than that. Be happy you have a job, kids.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2011 1:53 PM

wait a minute, a 25 year old in night classes is making 60k a year? and that's a problem?

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2011 1:38 AM

I can't wait to come back tomorrow and read some more hilarious comments.

Posted by zincink | June 29, 2011 5:18 AM