Posted in To Do | music on June 28, 2011

* Charles Downs' Centipede @ The Stone
* Eleven Twenty-Nine, Endless Boogie @ Zebulon
* Black Sheep, DJ Kid Capri Peter Gunz @ Soundview Park
* Puro Instinct, John Maus, Geneva Jacuzzi @ Glasslands
* Descender, Hull, Brown Book, Hellbender @ Lit Lounge
* Chimneys, Ever Isles, Reverend, Jeremy Sessa @ Bruar Falls
* Erika Spring (of Au Revoir Simone) @ Solar One (Rooftop Films)
* Jolie Holland, Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside @ Bowery Ballroom
* Rufus Wainwright performs opera @ World Financial Center Winter Garden
* The Present, People Get Ready, Man Forever Guitar Quintet @ Union Pool
* Future Islands, Ed Schrader's Music Beat, The Immaculates @ Death By Audio
* Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, Roughstars, Light Spells @ Bowery Electric
* New York Gypsy All-Stars Band (Hudson Square Music & Wine Fest) @ City Winery
* Hubble, Cloud Becomes Your Hand, Dreebs, Alan Watts, Jefferson High @ SilentBarn
* Shemspeed Hip Hop Fest w/ Y-Love, DeScribe, Eprhyme, Kosha Dillz, Bekay, Sneakas, Diwon, Genesis Be, Auzriel, J. Stone & more @ Southpaw
* Mariachi El Bronx , Legendary Shack Shakers, The Two Man Gentlemen Band @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Pass Kontrol, Not Blood Paint, JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound, Bad Credit No Credit @ Cameo Gallery

Josh Ritter wrote a book. He reads from it at Barnes & Noble tonight.

Rufus Wainwright plays a free show.

John Maus plays twice today.

Mariachi El Bronx plays a free show. The Bronx (same members) just played a boat.

The Wooden Birds have a new video for "Two Matchsticks". Watch below.

What else?

The first video for the second full-length by The Wooden Birds, led by Andrew Kenny (American Analog Set, Broken Social Scene). In creating Two Matchsticks, the band drew on the strengths of their live show, making it more driven, upbeat and fuller than the Birds' previous efforts. The album also features Wooden Birds members Leslie Sisson and Matt Pond who, in addition to singing backing vocals on the album, sing lead and duet with Kenny on some of the album's most memorable songs. Other special guests include Ben Gibbard from Death Cab For Cutie along with members of Ola Podrida.

Directed and created by animator Justin Goldwater

VESTIGES @ acheron

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 8:19 AM

Attention Rufus:

14:58
14:59
15:00

Sorry, but your 15 minutes are up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 8:56 AM

PURROOOOO

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:20 AM

Rufus, would you like some hummus with your cheese?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:23 AM

maus is handsome!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:29 AM

Pulp @ Roseland happening after CMJ week wooohooo!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:44 AM

They just released more tickets to LCD's final show at MSG.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:46 AM

LCD was special..

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 10:17 AM

Posted by Gone Gardens | June 28, 2011 10:34 AM

Posted by Gone Gardens | June 28, 2011 10:37 AM

I'm getting sick of Brooklyn. Everywhere I go, there's a new group of kids smoking on the corner or crowding up the bars or clubs I used to frequent. Getting tickets to shows is becoming tougher to do and my friends who work on the inside are seeing the number of tickets they can get diminish as well. It used to be that there were a ton of newbies swarming the area just when the scene "broke" again around 2005/2006. Now, there's a complete no-culture culture influx happening where you're seeing sorority girls who refer to their sunglasses as "hipster sunglasses" and their douchey boyfriends that think listening to Radiohead makes up for the fact they're into Asher Roth coming in and watering down the quality of life in these parts. I'm not trying to claim ownership and exclusivity of Brooklyn, but how soon is going to be before Beyonce is playing Brooklyn Bowl?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 10:40 AM

Beyonce isn't that special. And she will never play Brooklyn Bowl nor would I ever pay her to perform.

Now if it was Jay-Z at Brooklyn Bowl, I would pay.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 10:45 AM

10:40 - you should have seen it before you moved here. It was awesome. Then you moved here, and I remember discussing with friends the same thoughts about you and your type.

You can all go back to where you came from, as far as I'm concerned. None of you are as cool and hip as you think. You're all a buncha 2 bit punks from somewhere else. Get off of my lawn!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 10:55 AM

Beyonce donkey show at Brooklyn Bowl? I'd buy that for a dollar!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 10:57 AM

10:55, I've lived here since 1999 so don't go lecturing me about what is and what is not Brooklyn. There will always be a generation prior that sees the next as "ruining" it, but I think we should join forces and eradicate this new breed that will surely break Brooklyn for good. Take back the night!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:01 AM

Living in Brooklyn is like breaking into a bank that's already been robbed. There is nothing left. Someone drank your milkshake, 10:40. So get over it and head North. I got a good tip that Yonkers is gonna be the new hip slum to live in...The waterfront is being rebranded as Yoho.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:03 AM

Does Solonge Knowles count. She actually HAS played Brooklyn Bowl.

Also 10:40am...are you kidding me?!?
"when the scene "broke" again around 2005/2006."

HAHAHAHAHA! Williamsburg was already passe by then. Luxx (now Trash) had long died. Twisted Ones had stopped throwing small loft shows with Liars, YYYs, etc. Oh...and people like you had moved here by then.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:04 AM

11:04, I actually used to work at Twisted Ones and prior to that, been involved with a lot of the bookings at Luxx, so don't come here and tell me I ruined Williamsburg when in reality, I was contributing to it's authenticity before things got "cool."

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:08 AM

so where is your pissing contest actually going to go down?

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 11:09 AM

No pissing contest, but if any of you want to meet up to talk about this over coffee or your beverage of choice any further, I'd be more than happy to. I'm actually writing a piece for a future publication on the gentrification of Brooklyn and you might offer some notable quotes since it appears you've been the area just as long to offer a genuine perspective. If you're interested, tell me the best method to reach you and we can work something out. Drinks on me.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:16 AM

what the hell is a "future publication?" Does that involve iPads or something?

Also that Pulp at Roseland rumor has sadly been debunked as false.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:31 AM

I can't say where it will be published yet, but I'll definitely tell you once we get to talking about it. It's a well known magazine with a large print and online circulation.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:39 AM

hey write a piece on this
(i am making a gesture with my hand- guess which one)

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:39 AM

WHAT DOES ALL THIS HAVE TO DO WITH HUMMUS?!!?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:44 AM

11:39am, the shocker? If so, I won't need your input for that. Your girlfriend gave me all the material I need.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:47 AM

I'm about to drop a "future publication" in the toilet at this Starbucks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:48 AM

I am excited about the future publication.
I am going to tell all my friends "Hey, I knew Anonymous when!"

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:50 AM

I'm gonna go get a coffee, and when I come back I'm gonna read what all you twats wrote in the meantime. Then I'm gonna write something else.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on my future publication. I'll be looking forward to your contributions to it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:52 AM

Screaming Females opening up for Ted Leo at 4Knots kickoff show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:53 AM

Why are people such assholes around here?

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 11:54 AM

all i can can say is i'm stoked for waynes world, i think i am going to recreate the mirth mobile just for the occaision.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:58 AM

Well, GoneGardens, you only posted once this time. There's hope for you yet.

As far as people being assholes ... well, I haven't seen you adding to our collective intelligence or anything, so you might want to be a little more understanding with yourself. Self-loathing is not a good thing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 11:59 AM

Who here is biggest??

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:08 PM

Are they twins?

Kind of like the Jonas Bros, or Hanson - just take away one annoying musician?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:21 PM

OK, I'm back, and I just want to say that you folks are the best! No actually you're all douchenozzles. No good material. How can I be expected to work with this?!?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:30 PM

FREE ENDLESS BOOGIE!?! Get on it!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:31 PM

can anyone confirm that erika is indeed playing today's rooftop films makeup date at solar one? i would not have assumed that she was, & their website says "doors 8:30, films 9:00". anyone out there work with them, or know erika?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:31 PM

I make $70k and own my own apartment in Bushwick, 11:59. I think that makes me the biggest.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:32 PM

set times for public assembly? bell at 9, or 11, or what?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:33 PM

?????
I confuse
Who order pok an rice?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 12:52 PM

and this is my fourth post in the comments actually and this ones a repeat.

Any details on the Future Islands show regarding door/set times?

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 1:02 PM

Any hipster comedy shows going on tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:02 PM

1:02 - BV is open all night, every night
look no further

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:17 PM

And I have to agree with everyone saying the Brooklyn scene has been over for year. Its well overplayed at this point but what can we do? I moved here about a year and a half ago with my friends and we've seen rent go up, moved twice already and trying to get tickets to shows like Bon Iver or Cults is like winning the lottery. I think it's good that bands like MGMT and Chairlift put it on the map but I miss the authentic feel of the times when you could wear clothes and have people know you're cool and kind of weird, and not just look at everyone, see that they're wearing the same as you and question if they're authentically hip.

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 1:19 PM

"it's good that bands like MGMT and Chairlift put it on the map but I miss the authentic feel of the times when you could wear clothes and have people know you're cool and kind of weird"

ah ....
we were on the map WAY before MGMT and Chairlift (whoever that is) were even a dream in their mommy's ovary.
amd you recalling "the authentic feel of the times when you could" anything after a year and a half is .... oh, never mind.

Like Mr. Wong says after you pay the bill, "You leave now"

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:35 PM

u guys are all terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:37 PM

Clothes don't make the man. I get the feeling you're just another Try Hard that might have got here a bit before everyone else but still just as worthless a human being on the inside.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:37 PM

Behind every great man is a beautiful tub of hummus that believes in him.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:40 PM

What are the set-times for Glasslands tonight? Is Maus or Puro Instinct playing last? Are either of them ANY good live? I love their albums but I'm a little worried...

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:40 PM

1:40 ftw

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:41 PM

I hate walking down Bedford whenever I have to come for a show at MHOW or anywhere in Hipsterville...

it's like a movie scene. people dressed all the same all the time.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:41 PM

I'm sorry GoneGardens, but whenever I see your name I think of that HBO miniseries, and Drew Barrymore being all batshit crazy. More than she normally is, that is. I picture you as Drew with that swimming cap on, in a muumuu.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:42 PM

"Does anyone know the door & price for the Future Islands show at Death by Audio tonight?"

8 is the answer to both.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:49 PM

Make fun of me all you want. The truth is my 9" thick Jewish dick is what your girls desire.

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 1:49 PM

How do you like my 9" thick Jewish dick? Is it the biggest you've ever had?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:52 PM

I wanted to like Future Islands, but that dude's voice is really annoying. Sounds like he needs to eat more fiber.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:54 PM

I'm here to help, 1:42pm

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 1:54 PM

9" thick LOLZ
OK, Stubby

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 1:56 PM

9" long and over 6" thick. What are you dropping down at, 1:56?

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 2:14 PM

Future Islands set time would be helpful. As for price, who cares. It won't be more than $12.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:20 PM

6" in diameter? Yeah right, dude. Good luck finding a girl who will want to fuck that football you've got down there

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:28 PM

2:28, You obviously haven't done this before. 6" is the measurement you get when you take a fabric tape measure and wrap it around the midpoint of the shaft. Average girth is around 4.5".

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:32 PM

Man, there are a bunch of fucking tools in here. Go for a walk in the woods and find yourselves, you certainly aren't finding it on Bedford Ave. W'burg died when Cokie's closed, btw.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:34 PM

Nah man, it was dead even before Cokie's closed. I think it died when Europa started booking Shellac shows.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:37 PM

measuring around the outside of a cylinder is called circumference, you fucking moron. thickness is diameter. any 3rd grader knows that.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:49 PM

A² + B² = C²

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 2:55 PM

In the penis guy's defense, he neither said the 6" was diameter or circumference. The guy who didn't know what the 6" meant is the one who should be chastised for calling it diameter.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:02 PM

penis guy said 6" thick. thick is defined as diameter, ergo penis guy is FOS

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:12 PM

This is the saddest thread I've ever read in my life.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:15 PM

seriously, you 3 guys clearly need to repeat 6th grade until you get it right. wtf?

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:29 PM

I don't know about that, 3:12. I get what you're saying based on technicality but I think when you're talking about endowment, it's understood that when you say "thick" in peen talk, it's circumference. It's also common knowledge that when people spout off measurements, the first number is usually length and the second is girth just like women have the 34-26-32 or whatever dimensions.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:32 PM

The diameter of my hummus platter is an impressive 14 inches!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:32 PM

who cares about what's cool and what's not. if a scene is over or not. another scene will rise eventually anyway. the point of today is the goddamn shack shakers are playing a free show at brooklyn bowl!!!! a band who's audience doesn't care if you're cool or not. just go tonight and have fun for shits sake.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 3:38 PM

If you hate Williamsburg and think it's dead... LEAVE... or have the imagination to start a new scene instead of anonymously lamenting its demise.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 4:03 PM

4:03, if you hate anonymity so much, why don't you post your real name next time you want to give a speech about it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 4:04 PM

8 is the answer to the price, but not the band's starting. the first band is gonna start around 930 (according to facebook), so basically show up around 1130 if you want to catch the only good band playing (future islands). sick? sick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 4:46 PM

4:46, thanks. May I ask where on Facebook you saw this?

Posted by GoneGardens | June 28, 2011 5:00 PM

toddpatrick Todd Patrick
RT @aliya210 Anyone in LES / EV / Chinatown want to meet @ community board meeting to support a new avant music space? 6:15 @ Essex+Houston

Posted by hahhahahah | June 28, 2011 6:25 PM

4:46, that is exactly what I was expecting.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 7:07 PM

It's on the wall for the Facebook event...someone asked wat time the first band will start and the dude in the first band replied around 9-930 (which means 945)

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 7:25 PM

endowment chat again? last time i checked mine is valued at $90 million

glad 70k/yr bushwick dude is back

future publication=aarp newsletter, appearing opposite the heavily anticipated social security reform editorial, confirmed.

that is all

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 7:49 PM

7:49 = fail

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2011 9:01 PM

Most of the comments on this shitty blog come from fat lazy slobs who sit on their Macbooks all day because they don't have jobs. Keyboard jockeys stepping over other keyboard jockeys in a race of wits.

Do something productive with your lives.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2011 6:29 AM

Dude is bragging that he lives in Bushwick.

He is hoping to retire in Staten Island.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2011 6:30 AM